• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

FunkMiller

Meanwhile folks in Europe and other countries where PS5 hasn't come out yet:

Qqh5Jp8.jpg

Gonna have to self ban from this thread for a week, I think. Stuff getting too spoilery... for a game I finished seven years ago.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I chose hunter as my class. I've never played a souls game before. So if you die you lose all your souls and restart? This is going to be painful lol. I beat the Phalanx guy then got mauled by a pack of dogs further up and lost all the souls. Am I missing something, or do I just need to progress more?

Don't forget to go back to where you died and reclaim your lost souls. DO NOT die before you get there though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol i watched a little bit of vaaty stream and for being such an expert, the guy kinda play like a noob sometimes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Nymphae

Banned
So I will give my impressions on the Demon's Souls game I picked up from EB for which I don't yet have my PS5 in order to play it (shipment date is supposed to be 17th, here's hoping)

I noticed the edges of the game case are less rounded, very subtle difference in the blu ray case but it's there. Cover art is meh, back of the box romance copy is pitiful. There appears to be a reverse cover that is the same as the image from the original box art, but it doesn't look good enough to use IMO, it has no title and there is legal copy on the back side of it.

Stoked to start playing, I've not been gaming much for a month or two and want to jump into this new gen!

Cyborg

While I own three copies of the original DS I never played it. This will be mine FIRST time ever on PS5. I know you guys are jealous.

Ar¢tos

Gamepro germany says the dupe glitch is gone.

Not that i was going to use it...
Without max upgrades trophies it is less necessary, but you still need about 35 Stones of Ephemeral Eyes to get all worlds in pure black tendency for Colorless Demon Souls and named BPs, and there is only 40 in the game. You can buy them with limitations and farming them is annoying.

R6Rider

Gold Member
This game is a blast of nostalgic struggles lol. I was also streaming it for a friend who won't be getting a PS5 for awhile and we were both trying to remember what enemies were around the corner.

Environments look AMAZING and lighting is great. HDR makes dark area actually dark and the light shining through windows and over the mountains is straight up beautiful.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Without max upgrades trophies it is less necessary, but you still need about 35 Stones of Ephemeral Eyes to get all worlds in pure black tendency for Colorless Demon Souls and named BPs, and there is only 40 in the game. You can buy them with limitations and farming them is annoying.
I don't mind. Less temptation.

But it seemed nobody got conformation on this as of yet.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Spoiler for the new bad ending

The new version of Maiden in Black death is brutal. In the original player just casually walks over her after we stab her. The new version player repeatedly smash her head with their feet before walks away

Last edited:
Is there a big difference between Fidelity and Performance mode? I’d love to play 60FPS, but want the great visuals, also.
Switching between performance and cinematic mode, it's hard to immediately notice the differences.

After I played in cinematic mode for a bit I was able to find some changes:
  • Postprocessing effects like film grain and what I assume are screen-space shadows are a lot higher resolution (shadows look especially crisp).
  • Certain materials like brick look more realistic e.g. cracks in the brick and bumps in the stone are a lot more defined. I'm assuming it's because of the resolution of the textures, normal map, etc.
  • The way that fog interacts with the light is quite a bit more subtle.
That being said, 60fps is waaaay too good to give up lol.

Andodalf

Banned
Switching between performance and cinematic mode, it's hard to immediately notice the differences.

After I played in cinematic mode for a bit I was able to find some changes:
  • Postprocessing effects like film grain and what I assume are screen-space shadows are a lot higher resolution (shadows look especially crisp).
  • Certain materials like brick look more realistic e.g. cracks in the brick and bumps in the stone are a lot more defined. I'm assuming it's because of the resolution of the textures, normal map, etc.
  • The way that fog interacts with the light is quite a bit more subtle.
That being said, 60fps is waaaay too good to give up lol.

To your second point, It's the tessellation that is of a higher quality.

vpance

I can tell cinematic mode is sharper. Perf mode is a little more blurry and gives the feeling of 1800p or so. Will stick with cinematic for now.

Also I’m finding Antique filter on a low setting is nice. Tones down the heavy blue tone.

Was manual camera in the original? Seems kinda good.

Vtecomega

Banned
Man, is performance mode really blurry for anyone else? Usually 60fps games look amazing on my OLED but it's really blurry with a ton of ghosting.

Cinematic mode looks significantly better 🤔

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1208 USD

1208 is the amount of united states dollar that I just put in order to get a PS5 in 9 days simply to play this game.

I literally don't give a fuck about SSD, shit-tracing, or PS5 as a whole. I'm not a baby, no longer am I in need of new shiny products just for the sake of them being new and shiny. I just want to play this fucking game, this game that revitalized gaming for me. I want to play it this month, not December or basically the entire Q1 simply because work during those months won't allow me to sit down and enjoy the game.

It's unbe-fucking-lievable how I'm seeing literal trash playing the game, falling for dumb shit in the game, not even enjoying the game (I can notice by their fake reactions) and literally only playing the game because they're lucky pieces of shits who got early access because they're playing video games for a living acting like a cuck on stream. But hey, in the end I'm the one who's gonna eat the turd. I'm the one who went through hell and beyond to get this shit console simply to play the game I genuinely loved 10 years ago - oh and I need to pay an additional 600 USD to get it in ~2 weeks.

Last edited:

vpance

Man, is performance mode really blurry for anyone else? Usually 60fps games look amazing on my OLED but it's really blurry with a ton of ghosting.

I wouldn’t say it’s blurry, but you can tell it’s not native. Lower the motion blur maybe? Cine is crisp af though yeah.

Bryank75

Banned
1208 USD

1208 is the amount of united states dollar that I just put in order to get a PS5 in 9 days simply to play this game.

I literally don't give a fuck about SSD, shit-tracing, or PS5 as a whole. I'm not a baby, no longer am I in need of new shiny products just for the sake of them being new and shiny. I just want to play this fucking game, this game that revitalized gaming for me. I want to play it this month, not December or basically the entire Q1 simply because work during those months won't allow me to sit down and enjoy the game.

It's unbe-fucking-lievable how I'm seeing literal trash playing the game, falling for dumb shit in the game, not even enjoying the game (I can notice by their fake reactions) and literally only playing the game because they're lucky pieces of shits who got early access because they're playing video games for a living acting like a cuck on stream. But hey, in the end I'm the one who's gonna eat the turd. I'm the one who went through hell and beyond to get this shit console simply to play the game I genuinely loved 10 years ago - oh and I need to pay an additional 600 USD to get it in ~2 weeks.
Lucky you didn't see Jaffe play it last-night...

Console is performing well and there will be other exclusive souls / souls type games.

Nioh collection already announced and I'm hoping we get a new Ninja Gaiden this gen. Maybe a new Sekiro?

Anyway, I hope you get maximum enjoyment out of the game, Aris (Avoidingthepuddle) had the biggest smile on his face when he was playing.

vpance

The rumble you get when you bump into a wood plank on the ground really fooled me. Thought I bumped my controller into the table in front of me, lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hope you are enjoying the game lads.

One question tho, how is the multiplayer? I've always had mixed experiences with previous souls games, like people lagging a lot and that kind of stuff, so now that From are not at the wheel I was wondering if there have in improvements there.

Also curious, did you have those mixed experiences in previous (or next?) Souls games multiplayer?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Decided to pick this up as my PS5 exclusive launch game. Ready to start dying a lot on Monday when my console arrives.

2AdEPT

1208 USD

Yoshi!!

Although Im glad to hear you are getting one, it does suck that you have to pay significantly extra. I totally lucked out as I didnt even pre-order but my local EB games store put me on a list a week ago and called me yesterday to pick it up today. I hope to try streaming for the first time and use the camera and head phones and make videos (which I have painstakingly done in the past using PC but got away from as its so laobor intensive.) Hopefully the PS5 at least simplifies the way I can create and share video with you guys. I think I'll try going on Twitch or You Tube live and just press the video save button any time I go somewhere important for my first character who is going to show people how to Hyper mode. Althogh I am a vet per se, Iw as a terruble gamer in 2009, I used every chesse possible and hired help a lot. I hated getting wrecked by invaders but it was too cool to have others invade that I always played online unless world tendency was a n issue. I will be rusty, but since developing my game in al the other souls games since, I can timagine I will still suck THAT bad LOL.

I realize its easy for a vet to steam roll the game using Hyper mode, and it isnt really nessary, but perhpas new players might find it useful in some situations and vets perhaps havent tried it yet...I'm not just talking MOrion and Clever Rat but stacking all the magic stuff like the rings kris blade and buffs and soul raying the dragon in short order etc. I may even make her into a Demon Mage where strength is the other stat alongside Magic.....that or just go straight magic user and do faith as well ....at least enough for second chance!:messenger_winking:

The problem is sequence, the headwrap and storm King mean you have to mow down a lot of bosses just to set up but I want to get set up as quickly as possible without killing many bosses...the least amount actually.....well see how it goes.

Here is my twitch address am starting the stream shortly after this post:

PS5 unboxing on You Tube:

R6Rider

Gold Member

Looks fine for me. Turned off motion blur and other stuff like I always do.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’ve taken out Phalanx, Tower Knight, and now Armored Spider. I found a little cubby hole up front where I could hide and shoot soul arrows from. All you have to do is start running for the back of the tunnel as soon as the spider starts spitting out oil.

Now I’m in the Tower of Latria. Damn this place looks great! This is one of my favorite areas and they made it look really cool. Loving the Bloodborne vibes they are leaning into.

Now I almost want to go to Shrine and grind for this Ring if Avarice...

Last edited:
There are some changes to game difficulty and now the game is much easier. Enemies hit you for less damage, you lose less stamina when you block (Depraved Ones with daggers in 5-1 drain NO stamina when you block their combo attack, not sure if this is bug or intended), slight bugs and changes in enemy patterns and hit boxes for example getting stuck in the enviroment or hitting you though solid walls or not engage at all. Also crystal lizards are much slower and easier to stagger.

I about 2500 souls, and just unlocked the main gate to the first real boss in Boletaria Palace(I'm assuming). Any way for me to use them before going in besides repairing weapons? No stat level upgrades available just yet?

I'm currently watching the "Inside Demon's Souls Remake on PS5" Digital Foundry video on YouTube right now and it looks utterly amazing.

Bluepoint + Demon's Souls:

ssvc1SV.gif

Bluepoint really are masters of their craft. Sony should really bring them into their first party line-up ASAP.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I about 2500 souls, and just unlocked the main gate to the first real boss in Boletaria Palace(I'm assuming). Any way for me to use them before going in besides repairing weapons? No stat level upgrades available just yet?

You unlock
leveling up and a few other things after beating the first boss.

Don't worry about losing souls early on.

Top Bottom