• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Finally got the platinum today.
Great game IMO, but bloodborne and sekiro were both alot better in almost every aspect.
Sekiro is too different. You cannot compare.
Bloodborne shares alot of the level design philosophy with Demon's Souls.

Remember, Demon's Souls is the original game. Everything that came after it tried to improve the formula. Thus, you might feel that Demon's Souls is missing something. However, none of the later Souls games nail the brilliant level design of Demon's Souls.

DarthPablo

Neo Member
Was able to snatch a PS5 on Tuesday from Target, so I picked up this game. Due to work all week, I haven’t been able to sit down for a serious session, and just been messing around until today. I’m so use to Bloodborne “Run and Gun” that this slower, methodical, “Sword and Board” gave me some trouble for the first hour. I picked the Royalty class so I can try out that Soul Arrow, and that’s been fun, but that Rapier and Thrusting attack just isn’t clicking for me right now. So I did a little grinding for some souls and purchased the Sword, and after that, it started to click. Went through the rest of the level and beat the boss on the first try without dying since I got that sword. Went to the next area, and I keep dying, but that’s as expected. Looking forward to see what the rest of this experience brings me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Was able to snatch a PS5 on Tuesday from Target, so I picked up this game. Due to work all week, I haven’t been able to sit down for a serious session, and just been messing around until today. I’m so use to Bloodborne “Run and Gun” that this slower, methodical, “Sword and Board” gave me some trouble for the first hour. I picked the Royalty class so I can try out that Soul Arrow, and that’s been fun, but that Rapier and Thrusting attack just isn’t clicking for me right now. So I did a little grinding for some souls and purchased the Sword, and after that, it started to click. Went through the rest of the level and beat the boss on the first try without dying since I got that sword. Went to the next area, and I keep dying, but that’s as expected. Looking forward to see what the rest of this experience brings me.
i would highly recommend doing world 2 after beating the first boss. make sure to grab the crescent falchion from world 4 and then tackle world 2. it has a lot of upgrade materials that will let you upgrade your shield and bow. i think in this game upgrading the shield is far more important than the sword.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

sad alex jones GIF

Mr Hyde

Finished my second playthrough. Did a Holy Moonlight Valkyrie. Large Sword of Moonlight is really good and fun to use, but no offensive miracles except God's Wrath, which is kinda boring. It's mostly healing spells and various buffs.

I really like the boss fights. They are varied and exciting, offering quality before quantity. Everyone has its unique look and playstyle, and no one feels like filler. And when it comes to design, I think Adjudicator is my favorite. He's so creepy in the remake with that slurping tongue, fat belly and sinister laugh.

Bluepoint did a very good job with the redesign of some of the bosses and enemies. I think the only one I dislike is Fat Officials, but it's more to them missing their unique laugh. Bluepoint should've kept that intact.

Next playthrough is either ng+ with my battle mage or Executioner Miralda cosplay. I love the look of the binding cross set and going through the game with the Dozer axe and a bow will be a highlight. I've been more and more drawn to a bow build due to the DualSense adaptive triggers. It feels so good shooting arrows now.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Wow, the drop rate for Pure Bladestone sure is improved. 20 minutes of farming in PB tendency and then I got it. Nice. The farming overall has been a doozy thx to the smooth load times.

Went ahead with ng+ and the difficulty definitely ramped up. Not only that, but I get constantly invaded. It almost never happened to me on low levels but now at sl 84 I'm dueling BPs like crazy. Trying to do a playthrough mostly in body form, since last session I had to manipulate world tendency to get all rings, npc phantoms, gears and whatnot for trophies. I also did the Mephistopheles quest which I strongly dislike since I hate killing friendly npcs in Souls games.

Rocking the Northern regalia which is a true beast at 540 AR with PW tendency. Looks awesome too. Feeling like a complete bad ass wielding this sword. Wrecked Tower Knight in under 2 minutes.

SlimySnake

Wow, the drop rate for Pure Bladestone sure is improved. 20 minutes of farming in PB tendency and then I got it. Nice. The farming overall has been a doozy thx to the smooth load times.

Went ahead with ng+ and the difficulty definitely ramped up. Not only that, but I get constantly invaded. It almost never happened to me on low levels but now at sl 84 I'm dueling BPs like crazy. Trying to do a playthrough mostly in body form, since last session I had to manipulate world tendency to get all rings, npc phantoms, gears and whatnot for trophies. I also did the Mephistopheles quest which I strongly dislike since I hate killing friendly npcs in Souls games.

Rocking the Northern regalia which is a true beast at 540 AR with PW tendency. Looks awesome too. Feeling like a complete bad ass wielding this sword. Wrecked Tower Knight in under 2 minutes.
Blueblood sword with magic enchantment can kill tower knight in like three hits lol. It's a 15 second boss fight.

It outdamages the northern regalia despite being a straight sword. You do have to invest in magic and luck to hit 600+ AR though. With 40 luck and 25 magic and insanity catalyst, its got 615 AR. Pretty sure even at 25 luck i was able to exceed the 540 AR of the northern regalia.

On ng+4 i was doing 1200 per combo to king alant and that was in pure black character tendency after doing the mephis quest. So i lost out on tar 20% pure white damage.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well done it all but the final boss. Any tips? Can you summon for him? Is the best place to wait near the bonfire? Also should I take out that blue dragon first? Look like it would be alot of arrows/time.

Hostile_18

Banned
Think I'll give up on the final boss. Like I could probably spend 10-15 hours on it again like I did the Sekiro final boss but it isn't fun. Tried using summons and if the other players got to the elevator they died straight away too.

Grinchy

Banned
Think I'll give up on the final boss. Like I could probably spend 10-15 hours on it again like I did the Sekiro final boss but it isn't fun. Tried using summons and if the other players got to the elevator they died straight away too.
His moves are pretty highly telegraphed. If you beat Sekiro, I'd be surprised if this took many tries.

Hostile_18

Banned
His moves are pretty highly telegraphed. If you beat Sekiro, I'd be surprised if this took many tries.

I think I just cant be bothered learning it all again with the bon fire a fair bit away. Is it normal to be killed in 2 hits?

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
I’ll be on tonight and help you (sent you my psn username). Or you can join the demon’s souls discord and there’s a bunch of higher levels to help.

Paulxo87

I think I just cant be bothered learning it all again with the bon fire a fair bit away. Is it normal to be killed in 2 hits?

You can't just give up dude lmao.

Go to 4-2 and kill the reaper at the beginning over and over again for an hour or so and just level up ten times..

Also.. make sure you use warding. damage reduction down by 70% this way. Get creative with your rings/spells

SlimySnake

post a video of your run and we can show you what you are doing wrong. it's a pretty easy boss fight because you can heal all you want. the run isnt really that bad either since you only have to kill two knights on the way there. its by no means as hard as the sekiro final boss. it's not even at the level of Genichiro or Lady Butterfly.

Some tips:
- Bring a magic shield like the one you get from the 5-3 boss. Rune shield will give you magic defense as well. Just put it behind you and dual wield your sword.
- If you are dying in two hits, you need to up your vitality. You shouldnt really attempt this boss below Soul Level 60 imo.
- Use warding, second chance or protection.
- Wear heavy armor and ring of great strength so you can dodge roll effectively.
- Attack him when he does his AoE attack, he will take double damage, just be sure to back out after one hit.
- Always attack him from behind or from the side, never take him on head on. Or he will suck your soul levels.
- use demonbrandt on him if you have pure black or pure white character tendency. it does substantial damage especially if you screwed up like I did and split points across the board.
- use magic buff or fire buffs on your weapons to increase damage.
- take your time. you have all the time in the world. He will not go aggro like the Sekiro final boss in his final two forms. He is very passive and leaves you alone to heal.

Here is one of my strength build runs. Timestamped:

SlimySnake

I need some clarification on the Cracked Talisman Of Beasts. Couldnt find the answer in the wiki. I am doing a meat cleaver NG+ run and its fantastic to see every Dex level give me four attack points. My goal is to get both Dex and Str at 40 which seems to be the soft cap, and then spend the rest of the points leveling up Faith. It has A scaling in Faith so I should be able to get a good 40 attack points by investing 20 levels into faith.

BUT I want to know if getting faith above 18 will "uncrack" the talisman of beast. My magic stat is still below 18 which is another requirement for the Talisman of Beasts so I am hoping that will keep it cracked.

P.S I want a cracked talisman so I can use the curse enhancement without it draining 1% of my health every second. Cracked only drains 1 HP per second which is pretty much negligible.

SlimySnake

Speaking of King Allant. This has to be my favorite King Allant Kill. Almost one shot him on NG in coop.

AwVGcQ1.gif

Love how broken the game can be even on NG. You just have to know what you're doing.

I was watching this hot youtuber Marz play this game and her playstyle was giving me an aneurysm. This chick has played and beaten every single souls game, bloodborne AND sekiro over the last 3 years, and she spent almost 20 minutes on Phalanx. Took her 15 minutes to realize she should throw the bombs. Her Tower Knight kill was equally frustrating because she kept locking on to the chest instead of the legs even after toppling him down once. I am bringing this up not to shit on her, but to point out these bosses are different from other souls games in that they are like a puzzle. I beat Lord Ishin on my just my third try and was pretty much a god in DS3, and I struggled A LOT on my first playthrough of this game because I just refused to learn the game and played like the latest souls games.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
post a video of your run and we can show you what you are doing wrong. it's a pretty easy boss fight because you can heal all you want. the run isnt really that bad either since you only have to kill two knights on the way there. its by no means as hard as the sekiro final boss. it's not even at the level of Genichiro or Lady Butterfly.

Some tips:
- Bring a magic shield like the one you get from the 5-3 boss. Rune shield will give you magic defense as well. Just put it behind you and dual wield your sword.
- If you are dying in two hits, you need to up your vitality. You shouldnt really attempt this boss below Soul Level 60 imo.
- Wear heavy armor and ring of great strength so you can dodge roll effectively.
- Attack him when he does his AoE attack, he will take double damage, just be sure to back out after one hit.
- Always attack him from behind or from the side, never take him on head on. Or he will suck your soul levels.
- use demonbrandt on him if you have pure black or pure white character tendency. it does substantial damage especially if you screwed up like I did and split points across the board.
- take your time. you have all the time in the world. He will not go aggro like the Sekiro final boss in his final two forms. He is very passive and leaves you alone to heal.

Thank you for all the advice! 😁

nyr88nyg nyr88nyg helped me out and we made short work of him... the second time 🤔😉

Sinthor

Gold Member

Some tips:

That's one thing I've noticed so far in my Demon's Souls runs. Although Demon's Souls is a good bit shorter than Dark Souls, it seems like a LOT of people are getting thru the game at very low soul levels. Maybe they keep getting killed and losing their souls so they don't get to level up? Just get a LOT of summons and see a lot of signs up to about level 45 or so. After that, it seems to die off, big time. Back in the day most people targeted level 110-120, especially so they could stay engaged with summons and PvP. Not sure why that is so different now but yeah, especially for newer players I'd say get up to at least level 60. Heck, you only really start to become powerful with MOST build types around level 40-50 or so. Grind and get up to 90 or more even...you'll want that when you're in new game anyway. I know that going to new game and beyond with characters level 20-30 is PUNISHING. Basically everything will one shot you, even the low level grunts. So I think people need to take a bit more time and grind on the levels a bit more rather than rushing straight to the bosses. Especially if you're newer to these games and/or want to platinum it, you'll need to go into new games and that's VERY tough with a very low level character. Yeah, I've done SL1 runs on the game before as well...it's pretty challenging. Unless you're that sadistic, grind and LEVEL UP!

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Well 40 hours I have finally made my way to 1-4, I have been cruising along not really having trouble with bosses other than maneater. Enter Allant who has stomped me. Hes so fast and even if I block him it hurts me? Anyone have any tips? Using Heater+7 or 8 and Dragon Sword +3 soul level 60 mostly into str end vit

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well 40 hours I have finally made my way to 1-4, I have been cruising along not really having trouble with bosses other than maneater. Enter Allant who has stomped me. Hes so fast and even if I block him it hurts me? Anyone have any tips? Using Heater+7 or 8 and Dragon Sword +3 soul level 60 mostly into str end vit
It's best to dodge Allant's attacks where he rushes over to you and gives you a good smack. Just gotta get the timing down to dodge. But I'd definitely suggest dodging instead of trying to block. Dodge and punish him. Shouldn't be too rough if you do that.

SlimySnake

dragon sword +3 is not good enough for him. You will need dragon Sword +5 and even then it wont be good enough. Get the demonbrandt and try to get your character tendency to pure white. Thats a 440 AR sword that does magic damage. almost double what you have now.

You need a magic shield to block his attacks. Heater shield and Dragon Sword are only good for mid game. This is the final boss and you have to go in prepared. I keep forgetting the name of the shield you get from the 5-3 boss but thats the best magic shield in the game. Or Use the Rune shield to get more magic defense. Those two shields should negate almost all of the magic damage he does if you block. Wear armor that gives you the most magic defense. Wear the magic dullness ring to reduce damage even more. Make sure you arent wearing any items that reduce your magic defense like the ring of magical sharpness, the monk hat, infinity catalyst or the kris blade.

If you are mostly into str end and vitality then i would highly recommend farming greystone shards and get your claymore upto crushing +5. it's going to do a lot of damage to Allant if you buff it with the curse weapon skill or even without it. Use fire or magic buffs if you dont have that spell.

And like Sinthor said, you should be dodging all of his attacks instead of blocking them. Thankfully in this game you dont have to invest in a separate attribute to get more iframes when dodging so dodge to your heart's content. always attack him from behind or from the side.

Jooxed

Gold Member
dragon sword +3 is not good enough for him. You will need dragon Sword +5 and even then it wont be good enough. Get the demonbrandt and try to get your character tendency to pure white. Thats a 440 AR sword that does magic damage. almost double what you have now.

You need a magic shield to block his attacks. Heater shield and Dragon Sword are only good for mid game. This is the final boss and you have to go in prepared. I keep forgetting the name of the shield you get from the 5-3 boss but thats the best magic shield in the game. Or Use the Rune shield to get more magic defense. Those two shields should negate almost all of the magic damage he does if you block. Wear armor that gives you the most magic defense. Wear the magic dullness ring to reduce damage even more. Make sure you arent wearing any items that reduce your magic defense like the ring of magical sharpness, the monk hat, infinity catalyst or the kris blade.

If you are mostly into str end and vitality then i would highly recommend farming greystone shards and get your claymore upto crushing +5. it's going to do a lot of damage to Allant if you buff it with the curse weapon skill or even without it. Use fire or magic buffs if you dont have that spell.

And like Sinthor said, you should be dodging all of his attacks instead of blocking them. Thankfully in this game you dont have to invest in a separate attribute to get more iframes when dodging so dodge to your heart's content. always attack him from behind or from the side.

Okay i will work on it. Though I haven't leveled magic that much I also thought about switching back to crescent falchion, and trying to level my magic a bit more. I have the 5-3 shield and the rune shield I just assumed the upgraded shield was better (first souls game dont kick me back to my switch)

Yeah she can be annoying as hell. You can avoid her if needed or I think use the Thief ring and get behind her (don't remember if drop down spot is behind her).
I think I need to use the Thief ring.

Edit. For some reason the spoiler tool doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's one thing I've noticed so far in my Demon's Souls runs. Although Demon's Souls is a good bit shorter than Dark Souls, it seems like a LOT of people are getting thru the game at very low soul levels. Maybe they keep getting killed and losing their souls so they don't get to level up? Just get a LOT of summons and see a lot of signs up to about level 45 or so. After that, it seems to die off, big time. Back in the day most people targeted level 110-120, especially so they could stay engaged with summons and PvP. Not sure why that is so different now but yeah, especially for newer players I'd say get up to at least level 60. Heck, you only really start to become powerful with MOST build types around level 40-50 or so. Grind and get up to 90 or more even...you'll want that when you're in new game anyway. I know that going to new game and beyond with characters level 20-30 is PUNISHING. Basically everything will one shot you, even the low level grunts. So I think people need to take a bit more time and grind on the levels a bit more rather than rushing straight to the bosses. Especially if you're newer to these games and/or want to platinum it, you'll need to go into new games and that's VERY tough with a very low level character. Yeah, I've done SL1 runs on the game before as well...it's pretty challenging. Unless you're that sadistic, grind and LEVEL UP!
Yeah. The good thing about leveling up in demon souls is that even offensive attributes give you extra damage resistance. You can have low vitality but if you have leveled up enough you should have enough damage reduction to take more than two hits.

Ng+ is a different story. You need that extra vitality. I died twice when fighting him on ng+ because i just went in without preparing. No magic defense and he killed me in one combo. Went back with magic armor, that ring and a good shield and it was far more manageable even at only 25 vitality.

SlimySnake

Okay i will work on it. Though I haven't leveled magic that much I also thought about switching back to crescent falchion, and trying to level my magic a bit more. I have the 5-3 shield and the rune shield I just assumed the upgraded shield was better (first souls game dont kick me back to my switch)
I was in the same place tbh. I stuck with the +5 falchion and +5 dragon sword all the way till the end but 70 damage per hit to alant made me realize i had to switch things up. Demonbrandt is very easy to get but if you have time to level up and grind then go for a +5 crushing sword.

You need to look at the magic reduction stat on the shields. The rune and the 5-3 shields give you 100% magic reduction and added magic resistance on top of that. When you are switching your armor, keep an eye on your defense stats. The more magic resistance you have the better. Go with at least 200+.

Mr Hyde

Sl 88 and still constant invasions. Starting to get annoying, especially with so many scrubs running around with Dragon Bone Smasher thinking they are gonna get an easy victory, only to be demolished two seconds later.

Mr Hyde

Maneaters on NG+ was a relly hard, very tense battle. They felt way more aggressive with their headbutt and magic spells. Didn't have time to kill the first one either before the second one shows up, because he keeps flying away. Was constantly on edge from falling off the bridge or not have time healing. Love this fight, one of my favorites. The music really adds to the tension here. The remixed OST is so good in the remake.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yeah she can be annoying as hell. You can avoid her if needed or I think use the Thief ring and get behind her (don't remember if drop down spot is behind her).
It’s not unfortunately
The Black Phantom before 3-1 boss is crushing my balls on new game +
She was a breeze on my first playthrough.
Her crossbow bolts are insane. I managed to defeat her by using a propper shield however.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I was in the same place tbh. I stuck with the +5 falchion and +5 dragon sword all the way till the end but 70 damage per hit to alant made me realize i had to switch things up. Demonbrandt is very easy to get but if you have time to level up and grind then go for a +5 crushing sword.

You need to look at the magic reduction stat on the shields. The rune and the 5-3 shields give you 100% magic reduction and added magic resistance on top of that. When you are switching your armor, keep an eye on your defense stats. The more magic resistance you have the better. Go with at least 200+.

So come to find out Ostrava died on 1-3 and I died because i rushed to open the gate at low health not expecting the red knights. No key for me

Sad Cristiano Ronaldo GIF

Unknown?

i would highly recommend doing world 2 after beating the first boss. make sure to grab the crescent falchion from world 4 and then tackle world 2. it has a lot of upgrade materials that will let you upgrade your shield and bow. i think in this game upgrading the shield is far more important than the sword.
I'm trying to farm pure greystone there now. Any tips on that? Should I level up on luck? I've seen a few youtubers who have gotten them from the rockworms.

SlimySnake

I'm trying to farm pure greystone there now. Any tips on that? Should I level up on luck? I've seen a few youtubers who have gotten them from the rockworms.
You get a pure greystone from the npc in 2-2 if u have pure white tendency in world two and bring him the dragon bone smasher.

The real problem is going to be getting chunks. I would recommend getting world 2 to pure black after you get your pure greystone from that npc to increase the droprate and then start at the flamelurker boss bonfire and kill the rock worms on that floor. Use magic or arrows on their heads for quick kill.

Getting luck up to 13-15 should help but i think it's a waste of levels. Make sure you do some runs without the ring of avirace and the providential ring and see if your chunk and pure drops are better without them. That was the case for me but others have posted differently. I made a post on this thread last month about those rings messing up chunk drop rates if you want to read more.

You will have over a 100 shards, around 10 chunks and a few pures in around an hour if you do the above.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Sl 88 and still constant invasions. Starting to get annoying, especially with so many scrubs running around with Dragon Bone Smasher thinking they are gonna get an easy victory, only to be demolished two seconds later.
It's because you are playing in human form. Don't do that while online. Either play offline or in soul form.

Unknown?

You get a pure greystone from the npc in 2-2 if u have pure white tendency in world two and bring him the dragon bone smasher.

The real problem is going to be getting chunks. I would recommend getting world 2 to pure black after you get your pure greystone from that npc to increase the droprate and then start at the flamelurker boss bonfire and kill the rock worms on that floor. Use magic or arrows on their heads for quick kill.

Getting luck up to 13-15 should help but i think it's a waste of levels. Make sure you do some runs without the ring of avirace and the providential ring and see if your chunk and pure drops are better without them. That was the case for me but others have posted differently. I made a post on this thread last month about those rings messing up chunk drop rates if you want to read more.

You will have over a 100 shards, around 10 chunks and a few pures in around an hour if you do the above.
That's where I've been farming them and I have shards and chunks galore, but I've died in human form and it's neutral. I've killed both bosses too, so there's no way to get pure white easily. I guess I just have to kill a bunch of invaders?

And those rockworms by the flame lurker, I've seen drop pure greystone on youtube.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's where I've been farming them and I have shards and chunks galore, but I've died in human form and it's neutral. I've killed both bosses too, so there's no way to get pure white easily. I guess I just have to kill a bunch of invaders?

And those rockworms by the flame lurker, I've seen drop pure greystone on youtube.
Hmmm. You have three options. One, you can die a few more times in human form and go down to pure black which will increase the drop rate and get you pure greystones pretty easily from thosebrockworms. Or two, you take someone with you when you go kill the 2-3 boss and that should bring you to pure white.

The last option is killing the red phantom in pure black tendency in 2-2 then walking all the way back to 2-1 and killing the primedevil. That will get you close to pure white then kill the 2-3 boss And you should be pure white after that. Grab the dragon sword and show it to the guy in 2-2 (red phantom now appears in human form) and he will give you a pure greystone. I will recommend u just go pure black and farm some more instead of doimg all this. The drop rate is pretty good for pure in pure black tendency.

Option 1 is easier imo. Make sure to go back to nexus every time you kill yourself in human form for the tendency to shift. You will need to die like four times. Do not kill the red phantom or the primedevil because they will bring it up to neutral again.

Mr Hyde

It's because you are playing in human form. Don't do that while online. Either play offline or in soul form.

I know it's because I'm in body form. This is not my first time with this game. I want to be in body form, because it frees up ring slots + full hp bar. Also, can't rock fashion souls in soul form.

I know it's because I'm in body form. This is not my first time with this game. I want to be in body form, because it frees up ring slots + full hp bar. Also, can't rock fashion souls in soul form.

Then, switch to offline for the time. Those are really your only three options.

I do agree, that as much as I love Soulsborne, the non-consensual PVP is my least favorite part.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Then, switch to offline for the time. Those are really your only three options.

I do agree, that as much as I love Soulsborne, the non-consensual PVP is my least favorite part.
its really bad in demon souls because of the deaths contributing to the world tendency. very few people play in human form which exasperates the problem because then the game has a smaller pool of players to invade.

Mr Hyde

I don't mind it from time to time. It adds to the excitement. But not when I'm being invaded every five minutes. The problem here, is that there seems to be no reset timer for invasions, like it is in the later installments. When you killed an invader, invasions was prohibited for a limited time being, like an hour or so, but in Demon's that's not the case.

SlimySnake

Played it today it killed her on my first try.
AND without the Thief ring. Just Claymored her to the depths of hell.
yeah, got her with the meat clever yesterday on NG+ and it was much easier than trying to kill her with smaller swords and katanas. shes very easy to kill mid range. Her dagger is very deadly up close and her arrows hit hard.

MaKTaiL

Guys, I think I'm too retarded to play this game. After the first two bosses of the first world I just can't progress at all. All the other worlds are too hard for me.

Top Bottom