• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The controller haptics are a big part of this experience and that’s really cool. This is something you don’t get by just watching videos, when I was fighting the Tower Knight those bolts of blue magic hitting the castle walls felt epic. The impact of big attacks is so much more intense with the dual sense. In fact the combination of sound and haptic design go a long way towards giving all magic attacks much more impact. Throwing a soul arrow has the controller whirring up and ringing like a bell as you launch it through the air. Magic can be very powerful in this game, so the haptics give it the oomph that makes magic feel as strong as it is!

It does wonders for immersion! For levelling up I tend to farm 4-1 and throwing magic arrows at the flying mantas feels so awesome with the dual sense. Really feels like they went above and beyond here.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Emz9v8MVEAA5Qny

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So, I'm going to assume this is worth it? What do people think? I remember playing the original and loving it. I'm sure it's just as good!
Other than not liking the Vanguard re-design (my personal taste) I'm really liking the game a lot. If you enjoyed the original Demon's Souls then you going enjoy this as well with smoother FPS.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it is exactly like playing the original but with a zillion QOL upgrades and also it looks amazing and has smoothest performance of any From game.

granted, there are changes, some alterations here and there, but overall, you are playing an HD remake that is running on top of the original code, it is as faithful as we could hope, bar From doing the remake themselves.

i would rather have Bluepoint handle this and From make Elden Ring! it's almost the best of both worlds. this game performs so good, better than any From game ever has, and it looks great and has that classic design.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
it is exactly like playing the original but with a zillion QOL upgrades and also it looks amazing and has smoothest performance of any From game.

granted, there are changes, some alterations here and there, but overall, you are playing an HD remake that is running on top of the original code, it is as faithful as we could hope, bar From doing the remake themselves.

i would rather have Bluepoint handle this and From make Elden Ring! it's almost the best of both worlds. this game performs so good, better than any From game ever has, and it looks great and has that classic design.

This might be the best Souls game. I'm blown away.

Havent played Demon's souls before, But Loved Bloodborne enough to get the platinum solo.. so was super excited to get into this. Its everything I would have wanted from a launch title.

Other than the graphical upgrades, are there any major gameplay differences between the Remake and the PS3 version?
Game is made easier now. Enemies do less damage per hit and drain less stamina when you block hits. Depraves Ones with daggers in 5-1 deal no stamina loss on block with their combo attack but this might be a bug(?).
Crystal lizards are slower now and easier to stagger.

2AdEPT

Just lost my first 20,000 souls. I'mma take a break XD
Umbasa. Same thing for me last night only it was trying to beat fools idol in the beginnings of hyper mode, i.e ring of magical sharpness adn clever rats ring....the damage was great but any chip damage I got was a one hit kill as Im trying not to level vitality on purpose....its tough early going cnosidering how rusty I am at this game!! Starting to feel better on the new controller thogh..its great for immersion!!!

timmyp53

Is there a screenshot comparison article or thread for performance vs cinematic mode? When I personally tested it out I had trouble discerning a difference besides halving the frame rate. Greatly optimized and fluid with great graphics to boot. Im hoping Elden Ring will match this. We'll have to see if they put in the work to optimize for Sony's IO solution though.

Grinchy

Banned
I tried the 30fps mode for about 20 seconds.

After hours of playing the 60fps mode, it didn't even look like it was a stable 30. It was so stuttery. And I couldn't make out a difference in visuals.

vpance

I tried the 30fps mode for about 20 seconds.

After hours of playing the 60fps mode, it didn't even look like it was a stable 30. It was so stuttery. And I couldn't make out a difference in visuals.

Well yeah you should've waited for 30s lol.

It looks terrible right after you switch from 60 but I've done it a bunch of times now and my eyes adjust within 10s.

This dragon flying around 😬
I'm at the third bridge during The Lord's Path with all of the guards at the end. Kinda lost as to how to approach it. Maybe just book it past the dragon, hopefully get by them, and touch the fog gate. I don't know.

Edit:. Booking it past everyone does work

Last edited:

Umbral

In
Tower of Latria, there are items on the ledges around the giant crossbow machine but I don’t see a way back up if I drop down.
Am I missing something?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Classic filter makes the nexus too bright and too blue for my tastes but for some reason I love the way it makes Tower of Latria look. It really brings out the green in that level.

Last edited:

2AdEPT

Should I be prioritizing one over the other? Spear is +3, Strength 16, Dexterity 15.

If you want other weapons like a bow to do good then go dex. If you wnat a lot of different weapons to try with both str and dex then go quality. the first few stages are generic hardtone or sharpstone I think. You wont screw anything up until you get to blacksmith Ed.

Sorry friend, past that I would have to look it up! Half of the fun is figuring it out yourself! (I honestly would have to look it up myself to help so thought I would teach you how to fish instead of offer some salmon.)

In
Tower of Latria, there are items on the ledges around the giant crossbow machine but I don’t see a way back up if I drop down.
Am I missing something?

The short answer is yes you are. LOL ...just walk straight into the ledge and your character will "hop" up.

[/QUOTE]
This dragon flying around 😬
I'm at the third bridge during The Lord's Path with all of the guards at the end. Kinda lost as to how to approach it. Maybe just book it past the dragon, hopefully get by them, and touch the fog gate. I don't know.

Edit:. Booking it past everyone does work

Dont forget you can get a back up ranged attack going...either bows or magic. Even if you would rather fight the one on one you can kite them toward you using the bow.

Last edited:
Dont forget you can get a back up ranged attack going...either bows or magic. Even if you would rather fight the one on one you can kite them toward you using the bow.
I can get past that easily enough now. Question is, where is the shortcut? There is a locked door, and a fog gate that leads to a armored giant boss fight (Tower Something) I Thought I cleared the underground areas pretty thoroughly, but can't find anything outside of the knight with gear armor on, and the shop keeper.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got a chance to play through 3-1 earlier. It's still so damn good. I'm glad I got the plat on PS3 10 years ago and never played this again. I forget a lot of it so I get to walk around slowly with tension and learn the levels all over again.

Are you hitting his weak points? with piercing damage
The notes everywhere said
to aim for the feet
But I guess I must have been doing something wrong because not much was happening. It's hard to experiment because it's annoying getting through all those archers and knights to get back to him. Trying to rush it doesn't usually end well.

cormack12

Gold Member
The notes everywhere said
to aim for the feet
But I guess I must have been doing something wrong because not much was happening. It's hard to experiment because it's annoying getting through all those archers and knights to get back to him. Trying to rush it doesn't usually end well.

You're basically trying to 'spike' the rear of his feet. Are you locking on to them or just hitting them? Try locking on if not. And piercing weapon damage+ (like a halberd, spear etc. - not a sword or mace). If you're not using a piercing weapon, forget the shield and go 2H. Most of the damage comes when you poke his feet a little, he'll fall down and then you score big damage on his head. So just focus on hitting the same ankle 5/6 times till he stumbles.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Surprisingly, I didn’t have that much difficulty against Penetrator but Old King in other hand.......
tenor.gif

2AdEPT

I can get past that easily enough now. Question is, where is the shortcut? There is a locked door, and a fog gate that leads to a armored giant boss fight (Tower Something) I Thought I cleared the underground areas pretty thoroughly, but can't find anything outside of the knight with gear armor on, and the shop keeper.
Unfortunately, you have to run the whole thing if you die on the boss, there is no shortcut. Just another archstone once you are done.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Magic in the game looks simply spectacular.
I'm thinking of doing my first playthrough with a fragile sorcerer, never really made much use of defensive spells while playing the original... This should be interesting.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
In the original this guy is a real pain in the ass
You're probably just more experienced, I just finished the original and it was a breeze, way more than any other in the series. Only maneaters gave me some trouble and not nearly as much as the first time I played Dark Souls and got to the gargoyles.

Also the old king dude, I think I went earlier than I should have, but after figuring out his pattern he went down easy too, even though he took a good chunk of health through my blocks at the time, but it was easy to learn to avoid most damage.

Flame lurker was easy to dodge and only take small amounts of damage (without using specifically anti-fire gear or anything like that, just basic good armor and like +4 weapons) from the flame trails of the attacks while punishing him.

Also I'm not great at these games, I don't do PVP and min maxing and shit, barely ever riposte, no spells or heavy use of items outside heals, just normal careful melee play so this isn't to brag, just the game itself isn't hard.

It's much harder in NG+ since you can't overpower/outlive stuff so easily when they do so much damage to your health/stamina. Maybe that's what you recall. I won't be finishing it again, just deleted it even.

If the remake is easier in meaningful ways then it's probably going to be too easy, I don't see a reason to make it easier, especially with grass being so plentiful compared to the stuff in Dark.

Last edited:
Its not just the framerate but the enemy agresiveness also reduced alot in the remake

Much easier now to take down boss like Flamelurker

In the original this guy is a real pain in the ass
I have already wrote this many times in the various Demon Souls threads that it is indeed easier. Enemies do less damage and are not as aggressive(or defensive), you lose less stamina when you block( Depraved Ones with daggers in 5-1 drain no stamina at all when you block their combo but maybe this is a bug). Also crystal lizards run a lot slower now and are easier to stagger. That's what I have seen so far. Will report back if I find more.

Top Bottom