• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Chiggs

Gold Member
I forgot how good I am at this game. Just blowing through it.

The remake is objectively the better game. The atmosphere of the original is amplified tenfold, the music is fantastic and stays true to the originals ost, and the character designs are as close as you can get to the originals with a proper upgrade in fidelity.

The folks who claim it is worse are either console warriors, bitter souls fans who don’t want to buy the PlayStation for the exclusive game, or are silly fanboys of From who think no one else can ever come close to what they make even if it is literally the same game with a graphics update.

Soundtrack is worse. A few enemies aren’t quite as good. Everything else is fine.

Last edited:
Ugh, is it me or this game is slightly downgraded?Trailers and sony's gameplay looked incredible but now watching streams and videos from release version it doesn't look that much better than Dark Souls 3 on pc. Just slighlty better image quality, textures and much better lightning but that's it i guess. It doens't scream next gen like on trailers
|

Ugh, is it me or this game is slightly downgraded?Trailers and sony's gameplay looked incredible but now watching streams and videos from release version it doesn't look that much better than Dark Souls 3 on pc. Just slighlty better image quality, textures and much better lightning but that's it i guess. It doens't scream next gen like on trailers
|

Dark Souls 3 on PC doesn't look any better than early PS4 games let alone Demon's Souls Remake. Get real.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
|

I think you're confusing resolutions with better graphics.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Me fighting Flamelurker.
hStBWeM.gif

Its fine, though. Because Flamelurker is definitely the hardest boss in the game 👍

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
|
this game is easily the best looking souls game.

i've played Dark Souls 3 on PC and let me tell ya Demon's Soul on PS5 is way better looking.

TheKratos

|

Stream won't do the game justice nor will Youtube vids since not everyone uses the same capture device.

EDIT: I played DS3 on ultra 4k on the 2080ti, it doesn't get near the graphics of Demon Souls. Come on son.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dark Souls 3 is beautiful (most of the time, some times you get too close a glimpse to what is meant to be distant backgrounds from certain angles and those sections aren't great) with tons of polygonal detail and effects, this does look next gen (duh) but I'm sure From will pull off good shit as well, people are way too harsh with their comparisons to the original (when people were just comparing art style, not PS3 tech obviously) which is two generations removed (and once again was far from an AAA game and through development hell) so of course isn't anywhere near this in tech.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
|

What are you watching it on, a fucking potato?

I recently got done with a DS3 run on my Ps4 Pro, on an LG CX. It doesn’t look anywhere near as good as Demon’s Souls. Get a better TV... or glasses.

Antelope

|
You’re tripping. Game is gorgeous and compression from streams strips out details.

I haven’t left the first real area because I’m walking around and staring at everything. Also trying to take down that red knight even though I know there’s probably no point.

What you play on also matters. The console can only do so much. I’m playing on a Sony 950g. That HDR is incredibly vibrant.

Last edited:
I want to play this so bad... Gamestop shipped the games separately from the PS5 in the bundle i ordered. The games aren't here yet. I'm stuck playing Astro's Playroom and Bugsnax. I did finish Little Hope on my Ps5.

VFXVeteran

Banned
|

That's because it does look like a DS3 version. I've seen the videos and what is the big detractor for me is the limited color palette. The game's art direction limits it's overall presentation imo.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ah you’ve seen videos you are hilarious. I’m sorry it’s no Microsoft Flight Sim. I thought you would end up here, despite not having the game and bitching about the graphics for months before release. You are a funny man. What’s your problem with this game? Haha

I played DS3 in my PC. It barely runs at 4k and certainly not locked 60fps. The lighting is nowhere near this level. Also the texture work is not nearly this intense in DS3 and also the geometry is far more intense here. Yet this game is buttery smooth locked 60 with better graphics. Amazing.

So no, some PC only guy telling me it looks like Dark Souls 3 because he has seen a few videos, lol, you literally don’t know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

You’re tripping. Game is gorgeous and compression from streams strips out details.

I haven’t left the first real area because I’m walking around and staring at everything. Also trying to take down that red knight even though I know there’s probably no point.

What you play on also matters. The console can only do so much. I’m playing on a Sony 950g. That HDR is incredibly vibrant.
Until you can open the mausoleum there isn't much point, I think there is only a soul item behind him. Unless you want to kill him for the souls (3k souls or something like that).

Chiggs

Gold Member
That's because it does look like a DS3 version. I've seen the videos and what is the big detractor for me is the limited color palette. The game's art direction limits it's overall presentation imo.

The filters can help with this, though.

ClosBSAS

Ah you’ve seen videos you are hilarious. I’m sorry it’s no Microsoft Flight Sim. I thought you would end up here, despite not having the game and bitching about the graphics for months before release. You are a funny man. What’s your problem with this game? Haha

I played DS3 in my PC. It barely runs at 4k and certainly not locked 60fps. The lighting is nowhere near this level. Also the texture work is not nearly this intense in DS3 and also the geometry is far more intense here. Yet this game is buttery smooth locked 60 with better graphics. Amazing.

So no, some PC only guy telling me it looks like Dark Souls 3 because he has seen a few videos, lol, you literally don’t know what you are talking about.
Wait for demons souls pc port...ryx and dlss 2.0...now we be talking.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, have they altered the bosses? Dude earlier was having trouble with the flame lurker but that was one of the easiest imo in the original, just trying to brute force you with easy tells. Perhaps I was OP? But I was merely rocking crescent falcion and a winged spear for the longest time and to the end of it even, I don't bother with grinding mats for special upgrades and min maxing. But I can see how flame lurker would be really tough with just some AI adjustments, otherwise he was easy to dodge and punish with only taking minimal damage from his flame trails. I didn't even use special anti-fire gear/rings. NG+ did kick my ass a bit, I'm sure bosses would give me trouble in it but at the same time there are few surprises left so I don't have much incentive to keep at it either, it's just a retread and the challenge is just higher health and damage output, I'd hate to do the maneaters.

Last edited:
man it sucks being on xbox and not having any games to play while reading all of the comments, just finished setting up my series x, guess it's back to Warzone lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Try to stay in front of him if you can. That’s what I remember working for me (though it’s been seven years!).
Yes thats mostly my tactic as well. I’m starting get hang of his attack range, I can avoid his attack while be close enough to whiff punish him. The problem is when his attack pattern change when half of his health is down, the window for me to attack him becomes even smaller.

Last edited:

Duellist

So what's everyone finding is the best options for their displa settings?Performance mode is pretty much a given but what about the rest? Right now I'm using film grade with no visual filter and motion blur at .20

Chiggs

Gold Member
So what's everyone finding is the best options for their displa settings?Performance mode is pretty much a given but what about the rest? Right now I'm using film grade with no visual filter and motion blur at .20

This is what I'm at, too. I tried some of the filters, and they can be quite nice (except Vivid, which is awful).

bender

What time is it?
Two deaths so far and neither enemy related. Jumping off the ledge while assisting Ostrava and I landed on a campfire and the clipping issue when breaking the box that contains the stone ball traps still exists. THIS IS DEMON SOULS.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
To add to this...

What about HDR?

Curious!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played 2 hours. I’ve had an amazing time. The tutorial area was gorgeous. A couple things that bug me right now. I’ve had 3 issues with the game crashing. This is the digital deluxe version of the game.

1. Froze during splash screen. I exit/restarted. Fixed
2. Crashed in Nexus upon entering. Restarted. Sent error report.
3. Crashed in Nexus upon returning. Restarted. Sent error report. This was after the 2nd boss.

It doesn’t seem like it’s the console itself because I can still move around on the console’s main menu. It’s frustrating as I don’t know if this is a short term or long term problem.

I did some research and some people report the same exact thing. My PS4 crashed a couple times, but that thing lasted me from launch until now.

Otherwise the game runs fine. I did use my DualShock 4 and remote played from my phone. That was fun and it surprisingly looked good. Side note: DMCVSE and Astro run like a charm. I hope we get a firmware update soon or something. I’d contact Sony if this continues to happen.

Last edited:

vpance

I like Antique 0.1. Basically just for toning down the heavy blues in Boletaria.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i did get one crash after returning to the Nexus at one point. only happened once. i sent the error report for sure.

luckily you can close and restart the game in the amount of time i used to take to load into a single level.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
i did get one crash after returning to the Nexus at one point. only happened once. i sent the error report for sure.

luckily you can close and restart the game in the amount of time i used to take to load into a single level.

yeah, same thing happened to me. While the screen was still fading in from being dark it crashed. I even watched the recording from the errror report. It doesn’t feel like it’s the console, but I could be wrong.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Other than the graphical upgrades, are there any major gameplay differences between the Remake and the PS3 version?

dDoc

Wow, the OST has been totally destroyed. The new one is awful.

You can barely recognize the original tracks, and everything tries to be epic. All the atmosphere of the original is gone.

Is there the option to switch to the original OST? Legit question want to know

Outrunner

|

I'll be the one to feed the troll and tell you that you are insane.

Top Bottom