• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: Lightfall Launch Trailer Released at State of Play

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
For anyone who has been keeping up with this, how are the new abilities going to work with PVP? As far as I'm aware, the "free" game is already unfair enough to people without the latest updates, because the best PVP weapons are always in the latest DLC, at least to some degree. But what's going to happen with everyone when the latest DLC has a grappling hook, and even people who have spent hundreds of dollars on DLC before this point won't have access to that equipment without buying the latest expansion?

It's really going to be a "haves" and "have nots" situation, isn't it? I get that you're expected to pay money for the latest content, but this is getting into some different territory, IMO.

LordCBH

For anyone who has been keeping up with this, how are the new abilities going to work with PVP? As far as I'm aware, the "free" game is already unfair enough to people without the latest updates, because the best PVP weapons are always in the latest DLC, at least to some degree. But what's going to happen with everyone when the latest DLC has a grappling hook, and even people who have spent hundreds of dollars on DLC before this point won't have access to that equipment without buying the latest expansion?

It's really going to be a "haves" and "have nots" situation, isn't it? I get that you're expected to pay money for the latest content, but this is getting into some different territory, IMO.

The grapple replaces the grenade, but other than that I’m not sure what the cool downs on it will be. I fully expect it to come in hot and have to be toned down

Varteras

Gold Member
Gawd, I hate Destiny. See yall on the 28th.

see-you-tomorrow-fuck-you.gif

sainraja

On the state of play it showed gameplay edits etc and said all footage from the PC version, that's the only thing I watched lol.
The trailer linked here and what is shown in State of Play is the same thing. The game exists on almost all platforms so I don't see what difference it makes. The game looks like that on all anyway.

Kerotan

First destiny expansion I'll play Day one. Is it worth waiting a few days to avoid constant server crashes etc?

I'm just waiting for the final expansion to come out next yearish, so I can watch a video complitation and lore video from D1 to the end of D2.
The entire Destiny franchise is one of the biggest wastes of opportunity. None coherent storylines for D1 cause they cut content near the finish line. Then you actually get a story for D2 but then they start vaulting stuff.
This is one of those situations where I would love to have paid a monthly fee, and this game / franchise, rather than chasing Fomo, and content vaulting stuff. Also the grind, just the absolute amount of grind, weird currencies and the way PVE just never actually makes you feel powerful. In fact they're scraping the power levels, while also making the game more difficult down the line which is just weird.
Anyway rant over, I used to like Bungie, but they kinda just made this weird monster of a product that is basically being kept alive by whales, and fomo chasers.

Shubh_C63

Did Witness just sliced the ghost open like that. And good seeing Traveller up and about.

Probably will go dormant after that kamehameha till the new expansion

I'm just waiting for the final expansion to come out next yearish, so I can watch a video complitation and lore video from D1 to the end of D2.
The entire Destiny franchise is one of the biggest wastes of opportunity. None coherent storylines for D1 cause they cut content near the finish line. Then you actually get a story for D2 but then they start vaulting stuff.
This is one of those situations where I would love to have paid a monthly fee, and this game / franchise, rather than chasing Fomo, and content vaulting stuff. Also the grind, just the absolute amount of grind, weird currencies and the way PVE just never actually makes you feel powerful. In fact they're scraping the power levels, while also making the game more difficult down the line which is just weird.
Anyway rant over, I used to like Bungie, but they kinda just made this weird monster of a product that is basically being kept alive by whales, and fomo chasers.
I've come to really loathe Bungie. They've treated their customers like shit while getting away with the worst tactics I've seen a dev get away with. They "vaulted" $150 worth of game we paid for and havnt done anything in return to remedy the situation.

I've come to really loathe Bungie. They've treated their customers like shit while getting away with the worst tactics I've seen a dev get away with. They "vaulted" $150 worth of game we paid for and havnt done anything in return to remedy the situation.
Games as a service a new concept to you? It's shitty but you never owned the content. Vaulting is a necessary evil. They should give something for free, I agree. Counterpoint: A lot of companies give a lot less for $10 than Bungie gives for a season of content

LordOfChaos

Catching up on Destiny lore since I missed a bit. The outro or whatever this scene is in Season of the Seraph reminded me

The intro of Destiny 1 is still one of their greatest scenes, it hints at such potential and majesty, music still gives me chills

Last edited:

sainraja

Play the game. The content vaulting wasn't that bad. Yes, I wish they didn't cut any content, but if you actually play the game regularly, then new content and new weapons — as long as they are fun — are what matter the most; that is what people chase after. They also won't be cutting any more campaign content going forward, so you also don't need to worry about that.

Last edited:

Neolombax

The original 3 subclasses (in the free game) received a pretty substantial update, I've been playing up to the latest content and I don't even use the DLC subclass (Stasis). But if you're on Playstation, you should have Stasis too since they just made the DLC that gave you the Stasis subclass free on PS Plus. Obviously we dont know how broken this new subclass would be but judging by how Stasis was released, high chance it will be pretty broken in PVP. They have since then rebalanced it to be in line with the other classes.

The best weapons aren't always in the latest DLC to be honest, since most of PVP are not scaled to power levels, older weapons are still good to go. Unless youre extremely competitive, I don't think this matters much.

Kagero

this looks great. Stopped a couple years ago. I probably couldn’t just buy this and the game would work right? Like do I need the previous expansions to play this?

LordOfChaos

this looks great. Stopped a couple years ago. I probably couldn’t just buy this and the game would work right? Like do I need the previous expansions to play this?

No you can just buy it and play it just fine

Destiny 2 baseline and I think the first few DLCs are free to play, and the other expansions you missed are in a Legacy Bundle which will update to include The Witch Queen when this one launches

Kagero

No you can just buy it and play it just fine

Destiny 2 baseline and I think the first few DLCs are free to play, and the other expansions you missed are in a Legacy Bundle which will update to include The Witch Queen when this one launches
Ah sweet! Thanks so much. I’ll be picking this up. The gunplay is unmatched.

sainraja

The Witch Queen is FREE to play until Feb 26. You can unlock any exotics and get to keep them after it goes back to being paid. :D

This is why I love Destiny (love the Firefly perk on the Fatebringer):

(I know, I am probably not the greatest at it, but I enjoy it the same)

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The Witch Queen is FREE to play until Feb 26. You can unlock any exotics and get to keep them after it goes back to being paid. :D

This is why I love Destiny (love the Firefly perk on the Fatebringer):

(I know, I am probably not the greatest at it, but I enjoy it the same)

So Lightfall will probably go free ahead of The Final Shape lol. You do get a lot of content out of free Destiny if you just wait...

I'm thinking about going back now with Lightfall... Will I be required to purchase beyond light, which queen to have access to Stasis and other game content ?

sainraja

I'm thinking about going back now with Lightfall... Will I be required to purchase beyond light, which queen to have access to Stasis and other game content ?
Now is a good time to jump in.

Stasis is part of Beyond Light (which is included this month on PS+ if you have a PlayStation as Ghost mentioned) and The Witch Queen is also FREE until the 2/26 [all platforms] so you can give it a try.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Anyone playing Witch Queen campaign, my suggestion is to play on Legendary difficulty. It makes the game WAYYYYYYY more enjoyable. It's not even that hard, just fairly balanced compared to the braindead default mode.

Now is a good time to jump in.

Stasis is part of Beyond Light (which is included this month on PS+ if you have a PlayStation as Ghost mentioned) and The Witch Queen is also FREE until the 2/26 [all platforms] so you can give it a try.
I play on PC.

That's quite problematic... As I was trying to convince a friend to hope in... but this stacked cost may discourage him...

sainraja

I play on PC.

That's quite problematic... As I was trying to convince a friend to hope in... but this stacked cost may discourage him...
Yeah, I can understand that but have him try it, since he can try The Witch Queen for free until 2/26 and he can decide if he likes it enough to purchase. You don't need to get Beyond Light right away... Strand is the new power so that will keep him happy.

Last edited:

Ogbert

The grapple replaces the grenade, but other than that I’m not sure what the cool downs on it will be. I fully expect it to come in hot and have to be toned down
I’m actually expecting the opposite. I think Strand will be fun, but other builds will remain way stronger. Void and Arc both have disgusting exotic builds. I expect I’ll still be using them for anything challenging.

Ogbert

Anyone playing Witch Queen campaign, my suggestion is to play on Legendary difficulty. It makes the game WAYYYYYYY more enjoyable. It's not even that hard, just fairly balanced compared to the braindead default mode.
No one who is ‘trying out’ Witch Queen is getting anywhere on legendary. It’s not hard when you have the build, exotics and mods down.

If not, you get pumped.

Top Bottom