• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers blast the celeb-laden Game Awards as 'an embarrassing indictment of a segment of the industry desperate for validation… with little respect

• Separate the announcements from the awards portion. The viewership for the awards portion may be considerably smaller, but if we're truly going to use this event to recognize the hard-working people who make our games then they deserve respect
  • If you absolutely have to have two or three trailers in there - make it the big dogs - charge for marketing time during these major segments
  • Cut out the long presenters trying to be funny / clever
  • The only Muppets allowed are the old guys in the balcony commenting between awards and making some light jokes / observations
  • When highlighting the nominees show a 15-20 second clip of their nominated game to bring attention to it, not a 5 second drive by

KaiserBecks

The only people who have the right to be pissed are the winners whose games where announced in between, without getting the opportunity to be on stage.
Let's be real people, Geoff doesn't get a break either way. If there weren't any surprise appearances or announcements, people would hate on the show as well.
People like Rami Ismail should be glad that indie games get that much exposure. But no, we have to complain. Do you want this to be like the oscars? Do people even get 30 seconds there?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bad direction.

Somebody, a supposed professional no doubt, was in charge of the presentation. Geoff needs to have a word.

The entire show always gives off this vibe that Geoff is secretly ashamed of liking video games. Like he's desperately trying to prove to "normal" people that he's not a total dweeb by paying celebrities to come hang out with him.

Kojima too, actually. Might explain why they get along so well.
It was weird. All this worship is going to this man's head and it feels like pathetic pandering.

mitch1971

watched the show, pacing was great.

Not really shit needs to be entertaining to stick with it and watch it. Having long speeches will just wreck the pacing and with that people will tune out and never come back again.
So the pacing was great, but it was too long; you don't want the awards to take up the majority of it's time (which didn't); can't cut the trailers and the fluff because of advertising revenue as you said....so what exactly do you want to make it shorter?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Devs don't get enough time!
*Kojima gets 6 minutes
That particular dev gets too much time!

/s

Oscars give winners 45 seconds. That's what happens when you have a lot of awards to give out, and TGA has way too many awards.

30 seconds is fine, presenter bits can go, and trailers should be shorter. Exodus was 5 minutes of fucking nothing. Geoff also needs to start treating Kojima like any other devs in these situations. He's long past the whole Konami situation.

MarkMe2525

Sour grapes. Let them have their fun. If you truly do not care about the awards, don't cry if you don't receive one.

All those developers in those seats looking at a stage. They should be back in the studios making games.
Geoff needs to be cracking a whip instead of playing them off stage with music.
Get back to work.

Edit-Spelling that name the other way.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nobody wants to hear the speeches.

The Kojima + Peele segment was the high point of the 3.5 hour show.

Geoff is smart. He understands viewers come first, not devs.
The thing is that this is an awards show that gives awards to people. If that's not what people want to see and nobody cares about people who make games then Geoff should drop the pretense of awards and just do a 3 hour trailer and celebrity mashup every year.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Show is 3,5 hours long already. It's already unwatchable long.

30 seconds is long enough.

Hard disagree.

If they are naming the show "The Game Awards", then fucking give some time to properly announce the awards and let the winners have their say.

If that extends the runtime, then so be it. I understand that trailers and paid ads are necessary to fund the show, but award winning devs giving heartfelt speeches should not be disrespected like this, while Kojima, Peele, Anthony Mackie and a fucking sock puppet get to waste minutes talking about nothing.

Last edited:
I have to concur with so many others here on the "celebrity cameos" for lack of a better term.

Gaming isn't the same anymore as it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. It is no longer(imo) some thing that used to be seemingly maligned, niche and associated with "dorks" or "nerds".

It blew past that barrier long, long ago if I'm honest. There's no need for celebrities to be there to provide "validity" or a "boost" to the significance to the awards or the achievements of gaming, or gaming in general.

Celebrities are *in* games now, because it became something far more than it used to be as an art form, a narrative form, etc.

It just doesn't need that.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Yeah, it was embarrassing. That Mackey guy wasted however many minutes acting like a complete knobhead ("SHUT UP! SHUT UP!") while the actual award winners barely got time to string more than two sentences together. Fucking laughable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
giphy.gif

The truth is that developers talking about their work is just not that interesting. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the truth. Game development isn't sexy, it isn't interesting, it isn't relatable. Most devs are not recognizable either. Even when someone famous like Kojima comes on it's heavily criticized (I know the circumstances are different). I wouldn't watch TGA if it was 2 hours straight of devs thanking their staff, sharing funny anecdotes about coding errors.

What matters to the audience is the product they get to consume as a result of the devs' work. You can say this awards show should be about celebrating the devs, but it's just really hard to do that in a way that's engaging. You end up with this weird hybrid of game announcements with a couple of awards mixed in. But I don't think you can really do it much better than this.

Portugeezer

I know a lot of this stuff isn't for hardcore gamers, a lot of it is for casuals but Geoff still has that Spike TV mentality of "ooo wow look at this celebrity"...

Bro, everybody plays games these days, celebrities who like games aren't exciting anymore.

I dunno, I enjoyed the show. I hear developers comments about not getting enough time but I don’t care? How many times do we need to hear different variations of “I want to thank the team, the fans, my family….”. Im watching the show for new game announcements not to hear developers talk except it’s about an upcoming game. If there were no game trailers/announcements, I’d just wait till the next day to read about who won.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I agree. The VGA’s aren’t a night to honour game developers and artists it’s a night to honour sponsors, paid ads, and for a select few to rub shoulders with celebrities.

The fact they quickly run through awards on the side is a backhand to those people who don’t get a chance to be represented for their work. Is the award supposed to be worth anything to the Japanese and Europeans who need to travel great lengths to get there? If yes, then give them time to come on up on the stage and show their face when they win.

You can condense multiple wins into a single speech if you need to and shorten the show.

As everybody said, what does Gonzo have to do with games? Why is Kojima on there peddling a teaser? Why did that teaser get Kojima to present and then Jordan Peele to talk about nothing because the movie-game thing is still too early in development? There’s a time and place for Kojima and that wasn’t it.

Indyblue

It’s a strange show. It’s long af and yet it seemed like 80% of the awards were just kind of an afterthought. Like the dude just read the nominees real quick and said the winner and that was that. Like no ceremony or anything. Like it’s an awards show where the awards are just kind of an annoyance that they have to breeze through.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The show isn't for viewers. Viewers are the product. They get sold to advertisers. The money from advertisers goes to who? That's who its for.

That's just semantics.

Geoff operates on the correct assumption that the viewers need to be the priority.

Developers wanting to bloviate at the expense of viewership are wrong. Geoff gets it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's just semantics.

Geoff operates on the correct assumption that the viewers are priority.

Developers wanting to bloviate at the expense of viewership are wrong. Geoff gets it.
What are your thoughts on the Oscars, or the Golden Globes? Usually the award show is actually for the award winners. Viewers are a factor, but entirely secondary. They could literally hire a celebrity host instead of .... Geoff. That's usually the main draw.

If the award winners are barely a concern, why is it even an awards show? By definition literally the entire point is to honor the winners.

Geoff has a lot of access because of his relationships with people like Hideo Kojima. That's why Kojima is awarded so much time.

The reason why they get some celebrities is because they want to speed up the legitimacy of The Game Awards with people who don't play, watch, or cover games.

The reality is that it isn't a true award show in the sense that the Oscars or Emmys are. All awards shows are promotional, but generally the promotions are largely limited to the nominees, not new announcements.

The problem in gaming is that no one cares about the individual categories or nominees. No one cares about best content creator or eSports player.

You look at the Oscars and there are main categories and there are minor categories and they try to find a decent balance.

The people winning awards at TGA know they have a limited amount of time, but they want to tell themselves that they just won an Oscar and they want to give an Oscars speech. It's just not that kind of show. So if you want to talk about someone who died, you know how much time you're working with. You only have an audience because of the trailers and because of the trailers it's a long show.

Geoff SHOULD probably try and limit the length of trailers AND cut out some of the fat of having super cringy segments throughout the show. Hire a comedian or something to host and try to raise the profile of individual presenters. Awards should be given to people and they should be named, rather than just the game.

The entire show always gives off this vibe that Geoff is secretly ashamed of liking video games. Like he's desperately trying to prove to "normal" people that he's not a total dweeb by paying celebrities to come hang out with him.
This take is outdated. Once any nerd or geek culture hobby becomes a multi billion dollar industry this whole 'pretending to be normal' thing quickly goes away, so this reasoning doesn't work anymore. People with status and suits will chase the money.

It's currently happening with anime right now.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This take is outdated. Once any nerd or geek culture hobby becomes a multi billion dollar industry this whole 'pretending to be normal' thing quickly goes away, so this reasoning doesn't work anymore. People with status and suits will chase the money.

It's currently happening with anime right now.
I think he nailed it honestly. The take may be outdated, but Geoff is from that era. And lots of gaming publishers are from that era. And society at large still puts Hollywood celebrities on a higher pedestal, despite their industry shrinking and making less money than gaming. It's exactly as he said. Games aren't valid as games. They're valid when Hollywood acknowledges that its cool enough for them to attend.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What are your thoughts on the Oscars, or the Golden Globes? Usually the award show is actually for the award winners. Viewers are a factor, but entirely secondary. They could literally hire a celebrity host instead of .... Geoff. That's usually the main draw.
The Oscar's and Golden Globes relevance has dropped off a cliff with the most important demographic in existence, young people. Geoff should not look to them to build TGAs. Geoff is running circles around those shows.

Plus, most people would rather watch Denzel Washington give a 2 minute thank you speech than an unknown game developer for obvious reasons. We have a relationship with Hollywood + Music stars.

If the award winners are barely a concern, why is it even an awards show? By definition literally the entire point is to honor the winners.
Geoff has to appeal to a number of different groups. Developers are significantly less important than viewers, but they do matter. This is a silly discussion. The longer unknown game developers talk on stage, the more viewers click away. Geoff gets it.

What are your thoughts on the Oscars, or the Golden Globes?
Their views have been plummeting yearly. I think they would get a major increase in viewership if they follow TGAs and add trailers and announcements to their award shows. Look at all of the new movie and TV show trailers that were randomly released these past couple of weeks. All of that would have been much better spread out within an award show.

Top Bottom