• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers blast the celeb-laden Game Awards as 'an embarrassing indictment of a segment of the industry desperate for validation… with little respect

Your proof was the Emmys when I said the Oscars...

That furthers my point. Benedict Cumberbatch was trying to become a movie star. There is no way he would skip the Oscars, but certainly might skip the emmys for a tv award.
R.4f0932cf381eea29da247044f95e00de

I just showed proof of my original point and now you're trying to make me go and find something to match your very specific parameters?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Of all the things to be pissed about a default message at the end of a timer used for everybody to keep things equal and the show going is not one of them tbh. Now if he wanted to say more about that and Geoff or someone went to nudge them to get on with it, sure, that'd be pretty shitty and I doubt they'd ever do that. Quest Store Operations Manager @ Meta should probably spend less energy on being a fake ass drama queen and more on making their store more indie/developer friendly instead of relegate second rate citizens to App Lab's graveyard. Also fix the PC client, fuckers.

If it's a problem developers can just, you know, not go on there, ask them to not nominate them and so on, if they really feel some things are amiss and wrong. Just like E3. Of course it's all about the money, they know people are there for the reveals and that those that are there alongside them for any reason will be getting some additional free advertising by just being there. And as for reveals you could cut, I mean, some of them are probably paying to be there - not the big names that generate buzz on their own I suppose - so they aren't going to cut any of them, same for any adverts, they aren't gonna cut them after they've shceduled everything with them included to let everyone exceed their allotted time instead. BG3 is a huge success, why even go there if like many of us they believe that it's not a legitimate awards show but a PR event that just happens to be games themed and not to the interest of gaming but to the interest of those that choose to get involved in any way? They'd probably get as much word of mouth by announcing they don't want to be nominated and dedicating their success, sans award, wherever they want.

Oh right, they do want to be part of such a grand, clickbaity, bullshit driven PR event, they do want to make more money and pretend they're more valuable because they got an award thanks to its existence rather than make some boring GDC-like merit driven talk show nobody other than other game developers will ever attend, so here we are, they feed Geoff and Geoff feeds them and that's the show. Dude got famous over roasting Reggie with stupid Nintendo Wii is teh kiddy weak sauce and teh suck stuff, never thought he had anything interesting to say about gaming.

That's what people want, bullshit pretending to be Hollywood (another can of worms). And they so want to be Hollywood and write the awards and stars and stripes in their bios and everything. It's their own creation tbh, without them Geoff wouldn't have been able to get this off the ground.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

If they cut all the boring and useless shits and just shows games and give all the time devs wants to speak, the show would be a lot more enjoyable and would last for like 1hr and half. How they made this 3.5hrs long and still had no time for winners speaks is unbelievable.
Then how would geoff get to hang out with willy wonka?

I like Hideo’s games, the way Geoff ovulates over him almost every year is cringe tho . Geoff hypes some underwhelming shite too “incredible “ when talking about the Apex/FF trailer, come on man, who the fuck are you kidding. Each year he gets more and more smug. He knows what really gets people hyped and if the publishers devs are not providing it he lays it on too thick to compensate.

One of the loudest audience reactions last night was free DLC for God of War, says a lot

Last edited:
R.4f0932cf381eea29da247044f95e00de

I just showed proof of my original point and now you're trying to make me go and find something to match your very specific parameters?

I told you that people don't skip the oscars or awards that are important to them.

And your evidence that they do is Cumberbatch skipping the emmys for a tv special that he did on a show he was tired of doing?

Fbh

Didn't watch the show this year but every time I've watched one of these the awards themselves always felt like an afterthought.

That said I think it's impressive they got an animatronic version of Pinocchio from Lies of P to present the GOTY award this year

RickMasters

The Gonzo skit was too long and the Kojima stroking was WAY too long considering he showed nothing and we know nothing about his game movie

The show felt very odd
Agreed. I was glad to see Larian and remedy get their dues and they were the stars of the show of the night. Outside of that. I was most interested in the game reveals. Everytime the show got boring I just hopped on the gaf to see how you guys were feeling about the show 😅👊🏾

All now….. I still don’t know what the fuck I was watching with the kojima stuff. I’m gonna take a guess and say it’s horror game tho.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I agree with the developers. Geoff sucking off celebrities while rushing the people involved in making the games is disrespectful. Maybe Geoff should go host a movie awards instead because it seems he forgot what put him where he is right now.

Shut0wen

I can pick 100 game awards winners in various categories at length and I don't need any ad revenue lol.

Also E3 used to be just showing off trailers and developers, and they didn't need any ad revenue either. It literally is an ad. Usually game companies pay to advertise their games. Not make money from other advertisers to advertise their games. It's advertisement Inception. Money, money, money for Geoff.
E3 has random members of the public who spend money to get tickets, game awards doesnt have that, also they do have advert placements around the place just not tv ads, game awards relys on views, more views you get the more companys pay for adverts, itd the whole reason why they get pointless celebrities i wouldnt be surprised if some publishers pay the awards a fee to put a trailer on the show, especially since every year trailers for games just keeps going up

bender

What time is it?
Say what you want about the Dorito Pope but his heart is in the right place and the show is moving in the right direction and feels less and less like a skeezy infomercial each year that it matures. There are fanatical realities to putting on a show like this so you need premiers to attract eyeballs and advertisements to pay for the whole shebang.

Everyone crying about Kojima is hilarious. He's the one fucking guy who deserves to be there making videogames for 40 years.

Often forgotten when people bitch about Kojima's love for movies and drawn out narratives is the mechanical complexity and attention to detail found in his titles. The mutual affection he and Geoff have for each other is easy to dunk on but they've had a close relationship since Geoff wrote The Final Hours of MGS2 which was over 20 years ago.

Last edited:

blue velvet

Kojima and his constant Hollywood clout chasing is so sad at this point. Doesn't help that this industry love stroking his ego.

Peele fawned over Kojima most of his time on stage. I know we all laugh about Kojima's reputation and elevated status but the guy is so self-absorbed and gets a huge pass for it.

Killer8

You know in terms of the criticism of using celebrities and ads, it's quite comical in a way. Games fought for decades to get mainstream acceptance and now that that has arrived, with all of the same aspects which every other industry embraces, suddenly a few people want to treat gaming as even above that, deserving some sort of special, prestigious status.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Why are they trying to make this like the academy awards? No one is interested in that shit, just make it about the developers, minimise the use or inclusion of any celebrities, even in the games themselves stop using them.

bender

What time is it?
Why are they trying to make this like the academy awards? No one is interested in that shit, just make it about the developers, minimise the use or inclusion of any celebrities, even in the games themselves stop using them.

You've got GDC that is developer focused.

McConaughey aside, unless I'm misremember, most of the celebs on stage seemed to have genuine affection for gaming. I'd also guess they are a bigger draw than the awards themselves to most viewers but all lag behind the game announcements.

rkofan87

Gold Member
And also how cringey was the bg3 voice actor in his ancient Japanese garb talking about people saying how the game saved their lives or some stupid shit?

I say just turn it into the E3 replacement it is and just show new game trailers.
ben star was robed.

Danknugz

i understand the need to advertise, maintain the perception of the game industry for business relations and give kids a feeling they belong to something, etc but you couldn't pay me to watch this kind of garbage, i've always seen these kind of show this way and never ever once was i ever excited or looked forward to any kind of these shows.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
On one hand the celeb fawning *is* cringe.

On the other do these people actually believe that anyone gives a shit about them either?

Seriously; no one needs a fucking televised awards show to be "validated". Its physically impossible to thank everyone in the core team without boring the audience's tits off! And that core team is a microcosm of how many people are involved in total on most of these corporate scale products, so basically its never going to equitable or close to fair.

These people just wish they were Kojima.

My advice to them is simple: If YOU want to be that "star", you better get to work promoting yourselves like Kojima has done for years! If you want the showbiz treatment, you need to play that game on top of handling your business in the day job.

Just saying, the games industry is about creating, and putting those creations up for public scrutiny. There's no shortage of feedback, and thanking the team or any individual within the team doesn't require a platform like an awards show. Just say it to them in person.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Let’s cut the shit. NO ONE watching this gives a fuck about who wins the awards, the celebs, or the devs.

We just want to see trailers for new games.

Post the award list online, let them record however long acceptance they want video and attach it to it, and the 4 greasy fucks who care can go pull it up.

Turn the show into just a 1.5 hour E3 in December of reveals.

Pelta88

Me in 2022
Firstly, Geoff Keighley is a great guy. He's been a part of the industry for decades and I'm not diminishing his efforts. That said, personally, I find his award show almost circus like. Drowned out by sponsored products and promotions of things that use the gaming audience to gain traction but never add to it. Movies, Gillette's new razor etc etc etc. So for me, again personally, I don't care for his inflated awards show.

I didn't watch it this year and beyond the Ragnarok DLC trailer... I didn't miss anything.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Everyone should get at least 60 seconds with a dynamic scaler so if someone is saying something dear to their heart it can extend to 90 seconds. Lets be honest and humane.
If u wanna be humane, just mail the award and show me trailers, 45 min is more than enough time, dont make your audience suffer for 3.5 hours.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I just watched the show, it was fun. I have no problem with the keeping speeches short, I skipped through a lot of them. Devs can hold their own dev talks where they can talk in depth and I won't tune in.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Ya know you're all complaining like old ladies at the fish shop because the Cod went up...like always...like every year? 😁

Not saying that complaining about Larian's director remembrance of a departed dev is bad, that's a fair paddlin' to Geoff.

But every year you complain about DorPop and tis and tat and whers mi gayme whi no Ecsbocs Soni Nintendu and De Gayme Ackwards... it's tiring, please.

Go play some games, have fun, and stop being so obnoxiously snowflakey about a stupid nerd awards show.

I, for one, thought it was the best in a few years. Maybe not big announcements from the Big 3, but pacing was pretty good. And I think they nailed the developer showcase part, giving lots of unknown or not so big developers the spotlight instead of being a huge speaker for the usual big publishers and hardware makers.

Also, Alan Wake 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 mopped the floor with everyone else. 🫡

I finished, now you can continue complaining like crusty menopausic bitches. 😁

Me in 2022

I didn't watch it this year and beyond the Ragnarok DLC trailer... I didn't miss anything.
I didn't watch it live and feel like I practically missed out on nothing.

Each year Keighley manages to make gamers take his bait. Hook, line and sinker.

Last edited:
Let’s cut the shit. NO ONE watching this gives a fuck about who wins the awards, the celebs, or the devs.

We just want to see trailers for new games.

Post the award list online, let them record however long acceptance they want video and attach it to it, and the 4 greasy fucks who care can go pull it up.

Turn the show into just a 1.5 hour E3 in December of reveals.
That's not true.

Just because YOU aren't interested, or I might not be interested (which I'm not), does not mean there aren't people who do care and are watching because they want to see who wins which award.

The trailers for new games are nice, of course, and I agree many people want to see them.

Ultimately, if nobody was watching and there were no cache in winning the award the ceremony would cease to exist and nobody is going to throw money down the drain for nothing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Gamedevs are fucking lazy the last thing they need is to be awarded for this behaviour

Brigandier

Telling winners to hurry up and get the fuck off the stage whilst unfunny cringe shitty actors like that Mackie guy who stank the stage out for 5 mins+ to announce an award was very questionable.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The game awards have always been a complete joke. It's like saying that water is wet.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If u wanna be humane, just mail the award and show me trailers, 45 min is more than enough time, dont make your audience suffer for 3.5 hours.
But what about the people that like 80% of the show? I want more than trailers. Some of us are cultured.

WitchHunter

Banned
In particular, the show has come under fire for the short time allotted to acceptance speeches and celebrations of nominated games, with some devs rankling at celebrities getting seemingly limitless time to ramble while game makers were told to "Please wrap it up" after barely half a minute.

Plenty of devs have taken to Twitter to voice their criticisms of the show, perhaps none more pointedly than Obsidian's studio design director Josh Sawyer (who you know from Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, and Pentiment), who wrote "This year’s The Game Awards is an embarrassing indictment of a segment of the industry desperate for validation via star power with little respect for the devs it’s supposedly honoring."

Blistering stuff, but Sawyer was far from the only dev to take issue. Rami Ismail—of Luftrausers and Nuclear Throne fame—wrote that he had "a hard time reconciling playing Sam Lake off the stage after 30 seconds, or the publisher representing COCOON's devs after the same, but having a many minutes-long Kojima bit for a game that has literally nothing to show yet," adding "That felt wrong, genuinely."

The show began playing Lake off during his acceptance of the Best Narrative award for Alan Wake 2 after about a minute (although Axios reporter Stephen Totilo reports that award recipients got the now-notorious "Please wrap it up" sign after 30 seconds), while Kojima and collaborator Jordan Peele got about six and a half minutes to chat OD on stage with Keighley.

There were plenty of other dev comments along the same lines
. Firaxis narrative director Cat Manning sarcastically remarked that they "love doing prolonged unfunny bits rather than listening to game devs talk about their work." Another, Arbitrary Metric's Jessica Harvey, tweeted that it's "great how the game awards are treating the award winners like they're an inconvenience getting in the way of all the paid ads."

Source

Who is the idiot here? Why do you need a group of clowns to give you an award?

Do you know wtf is Grigori Perelman? The guy who solved the poincare conjecture? And when he was said to attend the award ceremony for the fields medal, he just said:

"I'm not interested in money or fame; I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo."

And he declined the 1 million dollar that comes with the award too...

He is the king here, not the clowns who offer the award. Those people should come to his house and give him the award, end of story. So in essence you make a ceremony to give award to someone who is 15x more talented than you... The devs are the king, why they need peasants to give them a reward? Why do they feel belittled when they receive nothing, when the whole system reeks and it's a shitshow... is beyond me.

Last edited:
Its a hard one, they need ad revenue but the celebrity stuff is just massively cringe, not needed at all especially considering that its catered to people who know nothing about games, they still wont give a fuck about the show, also are we surprised seeing kojima sucking the dorito king? No
Maybe it wouldn’t be so god damn expensive if they just skipped all the celebs?

I just watch it as a trailer-playlist the day after.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Maybe it wouldn’t be so god damn expensive if they just skipped all the celebs?

I just watch it as a trailer-playlist the day after.
Thats what i was saying, he has to find a middle ground, these celebs lure ad companys to offer the largest amount of money to advertise on the show but at the same time there really is no reason to have the amount that we had, its not like the oscars that literally pays for itself with the amount of star power that it has

DeVeAn

Yeah, since the beginning I’ve thought why run through so many awards and then the few that come up get hurried off. Granted don’t need 8 minutes but, music starts immediately.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The truth is that developers talking about their work is just not that interesting. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the truth. Game development isn't sexy, it isn't interesting, it isn't relatable. Most devs are not recognizable either. Even when someone famous like Kojima comes on it's heavily criticized (I know the circumstances are different). I wouldn't watch TGA if it was 2 hours straight of devs thanking their staff, sharing funny anecdotes about coding errors.
Interesting take, considering we have drama articles about game development discussed about twice a week around here, all year long.

Why even show up for the event if it’s blatantly not about the games of the year, but the games of next year?
Devs should just stay home and be like “oh, our game won? Gee, thanks, now wrap that trophy up and ship it here, we’ll have a thank you video up on YT and it’ll be as long as it takes for us to actually express gratitude to our fans.” This way there’ll be even more time to fellate Kojima onstage for showing an evolution of the tech used for Cain’s face in RoboCop 2.

Top Bottom