• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers on why Indiana Jones is First Person: "First-person gameplay is part of MachineGames’ DNA"

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Of course its for the benefit of the game that the devs use the systems they're comfortable with and know the ins and outs in when making it.
Looked awesome.
Why bother, the person you quoted is obviously an entitled whiny baby who is utterly clueless about how projects work. There is nothing remotely reasonable about their post.

Neff

You mean like robocop? Iconic character first person people love the shit out of the game.

Robocop is a perfect fit for first person because the movies literally go into first person perspective a lot.

GoldenEye 007 or Metroid Prime would be a better comparison. I had my doubts at the time, but they made both games work very well. My gut says they should have gone with third person fully, because Indy's look is beyond iconic, but I'm open to being proved wrong.

Neff

Riddick is a better comparison. Especially since it's from the same devs.

Didn't even know there was a Riddick game. Also I question how iconic Riddick really is, or how much players would want to see him on screen, at least in comparison to a pop culture titan like Indiana Jones.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Didn't even know there was a Riddick game. Also I question how iconic Riddick really is, or how much players would want to see him on screen, at least in comparison to a pop culture titan like Indiana Jones.

That's the thing, Riddick was a low budget science fiction movie where the main character spent most of the movie tied up and never picked up a gun. They turned it into a GOTY contender first person game on the original Xbox. Then they took a small independent comic in The Darkness and did the same thing on the Xbox 360.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
pick an iconic character like Indie and seldom show it is a strange choice

The trailer and half the B-Roll footage was showing him in third person animations and high budget cut-scenes.

You're going to get your worth out of that Ford likeness.

All this talk over 1st/3rd person has let the DEI slip through the cracks. The one side of his head shaved, rainbow logo shirt dude, who works on narrative, said it was being made for "modern audiences". That's code for DEI.

VulcanRaven

You mean like robocop? Iconic character first person people love the shit out of the game.
That is a bit different than Indiana Jones. RoboCop moves slowly so that might not work in third person. They can cheat in first person and have him move faster.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
All this talk over 1st/3rd person has let the DEI slip through the cracks. The one side of his head shaved, rainbow logo shirt dude, who works on narrative, said it was being made for "modern audiences". That's code for DEI.
They also referred to the lady in the game as "second main character" or something like that. She has a shaved head side as well. I hope they don't pull a Raiden on us.

Top Bottom