• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Project 007 (IO interactive) to be both first and third person

RAIDEN1

The bigger question is will it be better than Bloodstone? The last great Bond game released on ANY generation...that and the fact you had the team behind Project Gotham behind it...(if I am not mistaken...) but you wonder why is it taking more than 3 years to get this out the door? The last Bond game didn't take that long, hell Bloodstone probably didn't either...and yet again like many a title that takes am absolute age to get released, if this ends up being a flop then it might be another 10 years before we get another Bond game...

kiphalfton

Even if this game were first person only, there should be zero complaints:

xbox-says-it-has-some-goldeneye-type-reveals-planned-before-v0-x66PrxL50XjUywmnaAD0sMlohDmtPlQoug_v7UtXIhA.jpg

It's 2024. If an AAA dev doesn't know how to make a game excel with both a first and third person camera, then we need to put their AAA title in question.

You do know there's been other first person 007 games than that, and that's like the one exception.

Damn, a lot of idiotic takes around these days on gaf. You play the game without issues on third person. Same as most Bethesda games like Fallout 3,4,Starfield. Their shitty animations has nothing to do with the view and I dont see IO doing poorly on that aspect.
Yes, I know this, but I didn't want to name that game because those Bethesda animations would be a perfect rebuttal for someone like him to make.

You're proving his bad point, is what I'm saying.

You do know there's been other first person 007 games than that, and that's like the one exception.
Yes, there were other good first person 007 games. That's furthering my point, that POV doesn't matter, a good game does.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yes, I know this, but I didn't want to name that game because those Bethesda animations would be a perfect rebuttal for someone like him to make.

You're proving his bad point, is what I'm saying.

No it wouldnt because we're not doubting Bethesda here, we're talking about IO who are pretty damn good. I was simply giving an example that games can play absolutely fine with both views. Whether he makes a joke about Bethesda quality, thats on him, their games were sold and played by a lot more people who played Hitman games. I dont think IO would mind.

No it wouldnt because we're not doubting Bethesda here, we're talking about IO who are pretty damn good. I was simply giving an example that games can play absolutely fine with both views. Whether he makes a joke about Bethesda quality, thats on him, their games were sold and played by a lot more people who played Hitman games. I dont think IO would mind.
True, but you know how people are on this forum lol. You have to make sure arguments are as strong as possible or people just pick and pick and pick apart.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IO has earned the benefit of the doubt to me. The Hitman trilogy as it exists today fully completed and with the roguelike mode is a fucking masterpiece IMO. They are top tier devs.

bender

What time is it?
IO has earned the benefit of the doubt to me. The Hitman trilogy as it exists today fully completed and with the roguelike mode is a fucking masterpiece IMO. They are top tier devs.

This. Plus I think it's hard to point to modern games that were effected negatively by having a combo perspective system. The first one that comes to mind is Thief: Deadly Shadows and that isn't exactly new.

Killer8

I don't know why people are concerned. Most of the Hitman games allowed the player to switch between third and first person at will. It was only the World of Assassination trilogy that did away with the option for first person.

If this new 007 game is going to essentially be Hitman with a 007 skin and you can go into first person view for some GoldenEye-style shootouts, then that is a fine balance.

Audiophile

Gold Member
GoldenEye is a classic but it's of its time. QoS was great but it was still very much a straightforward shooter.

I think for an intricate, highly-interactive IO bond game focused on the stealth and espionage I want the awareness of the body and it's place in the world.

I'd like to see 3P with a slick toggle into 1P for aiming.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I'm ok with this. Bond will not look like any of the actors so its not that important to see him. Also Bond games have history of first person. I still wish Indiana Jones was in third person.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Did you read the OP that describes ‘hybrid’ as first person with a switch to 3rd person for cutscenes and some special events?

Have you played either of those games?
I’ve played both and wouldn’t call them hybrid. By devs logic Hi-Fi Rush is Hack & Slash Platforming hybrid.

VulcanRaven

yeah, right. We’ve had two Bonds in the modern gaming era, each starring in 4 movies apiece, just one short of the total number of Indiana Jones movies. At the time of Golden Eye’s release, Pierce Brosnan was globally recognizable as Bond. Not to mention the likes of Sean Connery that starred in seven Bond movies.

Nobody’s arguing that it automatically has to work for another franchise or character. It just invalidates the argument that you need to see an iconic character at all times in third person otherwise it’s a ‘travesty’.
But this Bond will not look like any of those actors. He will probably just be a generic dark haired video game protagonist. Its not like Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
This could basically be James Bond/Skyrim VR: The Dark Brotherhood

Here's hoping they implement some sandbox style maps!

hemo memo

Gold Member
Would you consider Indiana Jones hybrid, as announced?
Didn’t play it. The point is if the game is at least 40% 3rd person and 60% first person you can argue that it’s a hybrid. If the core mechanic is 1st person with occasional 3rd person elements in some instances then no, this has been done before and wouldn’t be called hybrid. Would you call Nier or RE: Dead Aim hybrid?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Didn’t play it. The point is if the game is at least 40% 3rd person and 60% first person you can argue that it’s a hybrid. If the core mechanic is 1st person with occasional 3rd person elements in some instances then no, this has been done before and wouldn’t be called hybrid. Would you call Nier or RE: Dead Aim hybrid?

There’s a reason I said ‘as described in the OP’. Why are we having this conversation if you haven’t even read the OP?

BlackTron

Like Goldeneye and Metroid Prime?

The only time Metroid ever went into third person is when you used the morph ball. Goldeneye literally never went to third person once the whole game, and it would have been a jarring and exciting thing to witness happen on the N64 if or when it ever did, so I guess you weren't around back then.

I would still firmly plant Halo in the FPS genre even though it occasionally goes third person for stuff like getting in vehicles or picking up the special heavy weapons like detaching warthog guns. Despite seeing that stuff I'd never say "new Halo to be both 1 and 3p" that's just ridiculous. I don't think it counts as "hybrid design" but I guess the question is where your line is. Metroid has less 3p view than even that. All you can do with it is roll around as a ball.

I'd call Zelda OOT a hybrid TBH. It's mainly a 3p adventure, but gives you the option to aim in 1p, and even lets you keep walking and moving while in 1p aiming mode. Certain actions are 3p only (like sword and shield). This is really what I think would be good for Indy, Zelda with a whip that aids with traversal instead of a sword, and his present-but-limited use of guns is akin to Link using arrows sparingly because you have a limited quiver. It was really more about being the best fit for the studio than the best fit for the ip IMO. Now they can just add Indy mode to Wolfenstein.

Ozriel

M$FT
The only time Metroid ever went into third person is when you used the morph ball. Goldeneye literally never went to third person once the whole game, and it would have been a jarring and exciting thing to witness happen on the N64 if or when it ever did, so I guess you weren't around back then.

As described in the OP, ‘hybrid’ is being used in this context.

Immediately, many fans pointed out that this game will be a sort of "hybrid" of camera angles, similar to MachineGames' recent Indiana Jones and the Great Circle.

And that’s with a game primarily with one viewpoint, but switches to the perspective for cutscenes and other action sequences.

You’re using the term in a different context entirely.

BlackTron

As described in the OP, ‘hybrid’ is being used in this context.

And that’s with a game primarily with one viewpoint, but switches to the perspective for cutscenes and other action sequences.

You’re using the term in a different context entirely.

If what you're trying to say is that Metroid is a "hybrid" in the same context as the new IJ game, that's hard to see. But I'm also only thinking about gameplay, not cutscenes lol.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Oh no. A 007 game is in first person? How could any developer decide to do that? The most successful 007 game is clearly not a genre-defining console game or anything...

EDIT: And yeah. Riddick obviously.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I am not sure about that. MGS and Deus Ex: Human Revolution did both and I think they did them exceedingly well, offering the best of both worlds in different ways.
MGS is a third person game. You only switch to first person for more precise aiming and for narrow spaces, but that's it.
Deus Ex only switched to third person for peeking around corners and for those takedowns that interrupt gameplay for wowie points just like Doom, and that was janky as heck.
The original Thief did this much, much better by simply allowing you to lean in first person.

If it's something like MGS -- mostly one, and occasionally another -- fine.
Otherwise it just makes things worse and disorienting.

Just like Skyrim? Noobish take.
Skyrim had HORRIBLE combat.
Bethesda as always, throws a lot of random stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
Most of the time their decisions make little sense. It's a mess of design.

Top Bottom