• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers on why Indiana Jones is First Person: "First-person gameplay is part of MachineGames’ DNA"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That’s why I like having sex in front of a mirror. Best of both worlds.

Christian Bale GIF
Playing Indiana Jones without seeing him is like finally getting to have sex with Margot Robbie but her body is invisible so its like you're just jerking off to yourself.

Source?

If you’d bothered to read the article in the OP, you’d see the developers acknowledge that Indiana is only human, albeit an extremely agile and resourceful one. None of that superhuman stuff.

Doesn’t really make sense to compare to Kratos, does it?

You will note that Avowed is an RPG, and combat is somewhat slower paced. Tens of millions of people bought and played Skyrim with first person combat.

Again, you’ll need to think again on the genre of the Indiana Jones game, and the abilities of the titular character you play as.
Why would you take such a famous, well loved I.P that gives you an opportunity to put Indiana Jones in a game then make it so you only see his hands?

That's dumb.

As for your other drivel about GoW, it was an example of a game that works best in third person, like the other half a dozen I mentioned, you imbecile...it wasn't specifically about GoW.

Wasn't that obvious?

Not to you, clearly.

Last edited:

Nydius

They ignored anything after last crusade.

Disney cannot ruin the trilogy, the old games, novels and comics.

Oh you sweet summer child.

If you think Disney (dba Lucasfilm) doesn't have a degree of creative control when it comes to one of their largest IPs, you're living in an alternate universe where Lucas never sold to Disney.

Ozriel

M$FT
If you think Disney (dba Lucasfilm) doesn't have a degree of creative control when it comes to one of their largest IPs, you're living in an alternate universe where Lucas never sold to Disney.

They'll be there to put guardrails on the project. So most certainly no scenes of Jones banging hookers or disemboweling thugs.
Todd Howard's likely the one with the most creative control, for better or worse. It's his baby

It’ll never be as good as third person is my point.

The melee aspect is the bigger concern

Combat is just one part of the game, and Riddick shows you can have really good first person melee combat.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How can you make a robocop game in first person! I wanna see his robot ass.

C’mon, dude. Indiana Jones in first-person is going to raise some eyebrows. Imagine a developer making the next Halo game a point-and-click adventure. People are going to be sceptical.
But indys greatest game so far is a point and click adventure....
Playing Indiana Jones without seeing him is like finally getting to have sex with Margot Robbie but her body is invisible so its like you're just jerking off to yourself.
I can feel her though....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

marquimvfs

I was looking forward to this. To be honest, it being 1st person made it less appealing for me. But I will wait and see. If it's good, I'll be playing anyway.

Combat is just one part of the game, and Riddick shows you can have really good first person melee combat.

Sure, it can have good first person melee combat, but it's never going to be as good as a well designed this person combat system.

The footage of the combat didn't look very good though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sure, it can have good first person melee combat, but it's never going to be as good as a well designed this person combat system.

The footage of the combat didn't look very good though.

James, what the hell are you talking about lol.

Have you played games like Condemned, Zeno Clash? First Person melee combat can be just as good, if not better, than any third person game.

Besides, this (Indiana Jones) is *not* a melee only game, it has guns as well. It's a full suite.

So basically not for the benefit of the game, but to fit into the narrow mold of the developer. How dull.
If developing 1st person games is a strength of the developer, switching it up and going to 3rd person would more than likely end up being a detriment to the game.
Game looks like some cheap VR title

Indiana Jones is made for third person.

Tomb Raider IS Indiana jones. That’s how it started out. License was too expensive and they wanted a chick with tits.
If tomb raider is Indiana Jones why would they make another tomb raider with Indiana Jones skins? That doesnt make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

If developing 1st person games is a strength of the developer, switching it up and going to 3rd person would more than likely end up being a detriment to the game.
I agree with the for sure

But Indiana Jones is what Tomb Raider/Uncharted is. It’s the same game without the fancy license.

this game begs to be 3rd person. No patch can fix it either. Once it’s designed for first person, it’s done.

And currently to me it truly looks like a VR title

Maddux4164

If tomb raider is Indiana Jones why would they make another tomb raider with Indiana Jones skins? That doesnt make a lot of sense.
Tomb raider legit started out as Indy.

ProtoByte

The amount of spoiled narcissistic assholes in here is unreal. The developer wants to play to their strengths. I would rather them make a polished gem then experiment with a new genre on such a huge IP.
Aren't we always getting lectured about how studios and publishers need to stop with the " templates, and same old ideas? Especially if that publisher also happens to be an opposing platform holder?

Fuck, even Ubisoft gets shit for sticking to their DNA, and it's not like MachineGames is of any higher pedigree.

I don't actually disagree with your point, but I'm not accepting it coming from the same people who throw "formula" around when its a game coming to the competing plastic box.

"Whatever they do, it'll be disappointing"

Expecting fair criticism from some folks here is about as likely as finding the literal holy grail.
Why are you branding prescience as dishonesty?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Because if some imitators come out copying your style it doesn't mean you should be forced or feel obligated to change your style. Happens in music all the time. Happened to my favorite rap artist

ryantetric

Neo Member
Keep whining about them going with a first person view. Searching for clues and interacting with the spaces you’re raiding would be more immersive in first person rather than having it be so similar to Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Horizon. For a game not all about combat I welcome first person for immersion.

"But I can't see my character on screen!" Go play Uncharted.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally not fan of of FPS games But I would say it was right choice for them, since they are much more comfortable developing FPS games and it need distinct itself from Uncharted and Tomb Rider series.

Ozriel

M$FT
Don’t Xbox enough first person games, why do need another, another dumb decision from Microsoft, ohh well I’m sure it be decent game, like other first person games on the system

You watched that video and came away with the idea that it’s a First Person Shooter in the vein of COD, Halo or Doom?

Majormaxxx

Oh you sweet summer child.

What I meant is that Disney cannot ruin our memories, the old movies, the old games,the old books on our shelves. This is the true Indiana Jones. They cannot touch that.

Top Bottom