• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

devs are afraid to make another witcher 3 these days

samoilaaa

Witcher 3 is the last AAA rpg that we will ever see with actual decisions to make and consequences , devs are too afraid too make another one including CDPR , i bet that witcher 4 will be dumbed down version just like cyberpunk is , devs know that in order to make an AAA game in which decisions matter they will need alot of cutscenes for all those outcomes , and that means alot of money

why should they risk it ? when they can just give you the illusion of choice ? as good as witcher 3 was more people finished a game like horizon forbidden west , so they dont like to bother with decision making , its much safer to just dumb down the rpg elements and invest in the quality of the much fewer cutscenes , that way your chance of making profit is much higher , in the end everyone wants profit , thats the main goal

all those upcoming rpgs , witcher 4 , fable , avowed , starfield , i bet they will barely have any rpg elements , look at starfield , all they could talk about was how big is the game and they have thousand of planets and you can visit every one , like size makes a game better , you can see that todd barely talked about rpg elements and when we was asked about it all he had to say is that they are trying to bring back more hardcore elements and the only example he used was the ability to choose your pronouns

imagine asking someone how much of an rpg is your game and he tells you that "its a very hardcore rpg , you can choose your pronouns "

It sucks but AAA rpg is doomed

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Witcher 3 would not work today. It is boring af
How Dare You Flirting GIF by CBS

Three

Witcher 3 is great. The issue is that often most people don't play a game multiple times. A lot of people here might but most people don't. So when you begin to make branching stories with choices you are often making the game x2 more time consuming to make and QA or worse and most people wouldn't even experience it to form an opinion about how well thought out it is.

Every RPG that Obsidian makes has a ton of choice, consequence scenarios. Even simple text based RPG like Pentiment.

Also, Starfield is going big with RPG elements.

"I think there are so many games that do those things that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older, hardcore RPGs--some of the things we used to do--doing those again in a new way," he added

MiguelItUp

I played it at launch and thought it was pretty cool, however because of bugs I ran into and other issues I put it down and never picked it back up. As time went on I thought about it more and more and just realized I didn't find the combat and other things that entertaining. Guess it just wasn't for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if devs are afraid or concerned though, it's gotten a ton of praise, and it almost always happens with games that become super successful. With AAA development costing more and more (in time, money, and resources), no dev wants to fail, they want to get positive attention and make something they're proud of. So when they look at what the examples are, they probably immediately shit their pants at the thought of trying to make something even better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I played it at launch and thought it was pretty cool, however because of bugs I ran into and other issues I put it down and never picked it back up. As time went on I thought about it more and more and just realized I didn't find the combat and other things that entertaining. Guess it just wasn't for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if devs are afraid or concerned though, it's gotten a ton of praise, and it almost always happens with games that become super successful. With AAA development costing more and more (in time, money, and resources), no dev wants to fail, they want to get positive attention and make something they're proud of. So when they look at what the examples are, they probably immediately shit their pants at the thought of trying to make something even better.
What I remember from playing it at launch was running into sides of door frames. The movement is so bad in this

I mean, he's not wrong at least for Skellige.
Skellige isn't boring. I was fucking relieved to get to Skellige after the shithousery that is Novigrad. If any part of the game is boring it is the whole part where you run around trying to find Ciri but need to go to triss, corinne, zoltan, dandelion, dandelions 5 gfs, priscilla, dudu, and dandelion (for real this time) before realising you just wasted about 40 hours in this fucking area to find out you need to go to skellige where shit actually happens.

kuncol02

Banned
Skellige isn't boring. I was fucking relieved to get to Skellige after the shithousery that is Novigrad. If any part of the game is boring it is the whole part where you run around trying to find Ciri but need to go to triss, corinne, zoltan, dandelion, dandelions 5 gfs, priscilla, dudu, and dandelion (for real this time) before realising you just wasted about 40 hours in this fucking area to find out you need to go to skellige where shit actually happens.
Heresy!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is just bullshit right? Like I haven't gone too deep into story spoilers, but CP77 had more than one ending for its main narrative and for sure for some of the sub-stories I played.

Also as stated, there are numerous other games that are explicitly RPG's that do this. Feels like another "shower thought" formed out of the limited play experience of the OP and not at all reflective of the actual state of the industry.

I don't hate W3. It's one of my favourite games of all time but dealing with that shit the first time around almost made me quit. it isn't so bad now on subsequent playthroughs. but it was awful. CDPR apparently had to cut a lot of story stuff in Novigrad so it makes sense the whole plot is a mess.

Mr Hyde

Skellige is the best part of the game. Also the OST is pure magic.

hlm666

Elden Ring has choices that have consequences and different endings, so you should be right elden ring 2 gotta be a lock at this point.

Most of the choices in the witcher 3 don't have long term consequences anyway, you really only need to care about the 3 or 4 that determine what ciri does in the end. I can't remember if heart of stone had much, and blood and wine I think just had 2 outcomes depending on what you did with regis and you didn't need to play it a 2nd time to see both outcomes, a save near the end lets you see both if I remember correctly.

Since when has rpg ment choose your own adventure? The old gold box dnd games are rpgs and by your rules they should be called turned based strategy games. Not sure what you would label eye of the beholder or dungeon master.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hyped and looking forward to CDPR's next Witcher installment, the smaller games in the Witcher universe and the eventual sequel to Cyberpunk 2077. Let's go!!!

Mr Hyde

Elden Ring has multiple endings and outcomes depending on what you do in different quests. One quest in particular can fuck you in the ass pretty hard and it's very complicated trying to undo it (it's also very obtuse to even do that particular quest, but that's not the point). It also has a lot of optional content you don't have to deal with in order to finish the game, whereas other developer go out of their way to make you experience the entire game.

Last edited:

Puscifer

edit: Lol calm down guys. I finished the game when it was brand new... but it's kinda a slog when I tried playing it recently and now I think it was always a slog.
You don't have to agree !
Yeah you're kinda right about this. Going full blown open world vs tightly knit super detailed wide linear like the first two just made the game so uninteresting in my eyes, especially when that level of tightness has an entire 1/3rd of the game be different based off a single choice to punch someone in the face or not.

Last edited:
I'm hyped and looking forward to CDPR's next Witcher installment, the smaller games in the Witcher universe and the eventual sequel to Cyberpunk 2077. Let's go!!!
I will play whatever they make but I'm a little worried about what direction they are taking Witcher in. I hope it's not a game where you create your own Witcher. Creating your own character worked great in Cyberpunk but not sure it'll work in Witcher. Witcher is based on books and Cyberpunk is based on a pen and paper RPG. totally different sources.

Honestly I want a game where we play as Ciri, who has maybe lost her powers for some reason, and we still get to see Geralt/Yennefer/Triss. It just wouldn't feel the same without the main cast of characters.

and yeah the Cyberypunk sequel i'm hyped for even if it is not going to be out for many years yet :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Elden Ring has multiple endings and outcomes depending on what you do in different quests. One quest in particular can fuck you in the ass pretty hard and it's very complicated trying to undo it (it's also very obtuse to even do that particular quest, but that's not the point). It also has a lot of optional content you don't have to deal with in order to finish the game, whereas other developer go out of their way to make you experience the entire game.

Not a good thing imo. Havent played ER more than once so no idea how the other endings are but I played Sekiro 3 times and one of the endings, the true one, has to be the most obtuse and dumb thing a game can possibly have and no way anyone figured that out without a guide. Its one thing to have hard to do endings, and its another to have endings behind idiotic actions that no one will ever figure out such as feeding rice to some kid lmao.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The entirety of Witcher 3's main story IMO is boring. The Witcher 3 shines with it's contracts and side quests(best part of the game IMO) being more engaging then the main narrative. Never played the DLC so I can't comment if the expansions were better then what we got. It's exactly like Skyrim in that regard. Garbage main story but great everything else.

I'd rather it focused on what a Witcher does rather then the romance and finding magic girl. Witcher 1 and 2 were more intriguing to me storywise.

Skellige was a nice change of pace from the rather boring environments of Swamps and Novigrad.

If they make a Witcher 4 I hope they can come up with a new scenario that's more exciting then what Witcher 3 was.

More focus on hunting monsters less on romance thanks.

If I can create my own Witcher and do Monster Contracts I'd be a happy guy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
edit: Lol calm down guys. I finished the game when it was brand new... but it's kinda a slog when I tried playing it recently and now I think it was always a slog.
It's a slog for sure.

Combat sucks.
Open world? Map markers up the ass, with nothing interesting to find on your own.
Side missions? Some might have good writting sure, but gameplay wise they are an absolute chore.
Main mission? Another slog. It's not really bad but the moment I think of Novigrad I fall sleep.

I don't get the praise. The Witcher 2 was a much better game.

Guilty_AI

Witcher 3 is the last AAA rpg that we will ever see with actual decisions to make and consequences ,
wetin-be-this-olodo.gif

Fun fact. Cyberpunk 2077 should have about the same amount of choices and branching storylines as TW3, but many of the people who claim TW3 is best rpg evah or your choices had actual consequences, also turn around and scream "CP77 choices didn't matter!" "CDPR bad!" "Gaming is dying!" in the same sentence.

Personally, i think neither one really fits the category of a proper role playing story. Both had fairly straightforward storylines with limited choices, though i don't find that necessarely a bad thing.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Not a good thing imo. Havent played ER more than once so no idea how the other endings are but I played Sekiro 3 times and one of the endings, the true one, has to be the most obtuse and dumb thing a game can possibly have and no way anyone figured that out without a guide. Its one thing to have hard to do endings, and its another to have endings behind idiotic actions that no one will ever figure out such as feeding rice to some kid lmao.

The "obtuse" ending that is a mainstay in Souls-games now started with Bloodborne, where you have to consume three umbilical cords to fight the real end boss and get the "true" ending. It then carried over to DS3, Sekiro and Elden Ring. Sekiro is probably the most convoluted, but ER is pretty obtuse too (although if you head in that path you get plenty of warnings to not proceed). Expect more of these endings if you wanna 100% these games.

MiguelItUp

What I remember from playing it at launch was running into sides of door frames. The movement is so bad in this
Oh? I can't say I recall. But I do remember some things feeling pretty janky. For me, I fell through the environment more times than I can count. Honestly, more than I did in any other open world game before it. It was super annoying, lmao.

Never played the DLC so I can't comment if the expansions were better then what we got.
The expansions are great. HoS slightly expands on the novigrad map and the story is excellent. B&W story is not as good but still very enjoyable and you get a whole new map to play....

iu

Highly recommend you play them both. You don't need to replay the whole base game to access it. The game will create a build for you that lets you jump right in if you just want to experience the expansions. Both expansions took me about 70 hours to complete. ~20 for Hos and about 50 for B&W

Last edited:
It's a slog for sure.

Combat sucks.
Open world? Map markers up the ass, with nothing interesting to find on your own.
Side missions? Some might have good writting sure, but gameplay wise they are an absolute chore.
Main mission? Another slog. It's not really bad but the moment I think of Novigrad I fall sleep.

I don't get the praise. The Witcher 2 was a much better game.
It is far more than the sum of its parts.

Mostly it's because the writing is supreme - it feels as though it was written by actual gorwn-ups who've experienced the full spectrum that life offers rather than by some irony-soaked 38-but-thinks-he's-24 millennial who's idea of having his heart broken is the day his reddit account was accidentally deleted.

And it has heart.

The "obtuse" ending that is a mainstay in Souls-games now started with Bloodborne, where you have to consume three umbilical cords to fight the real end boss and get the "true" ending. It then carried over to DS3, Sekiro and Elden Ring. Sekiro is probably the most convoluted, but ER is pretty obtuse too (although if you head in that path you get plenty of warnings to not proceed). Expect more of these endings if you wanna 100% these games.

I've done the Sekrio real ending and I still couldn't write down the objectives as bullet points.

Vick

Yeah, we'll never see another The Witcher 3. The unrivaled Magnum Opus of this media.

..except for gameplay mechanics/controls/combat. But when the rest is so unbelievably good and pure, it doesn't even matter in the end.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It was my all-time best game ever back in 2015, and I 100% agree. It's now reached the "unplayable" category to me. Games are getting better if someone could loosen up his nostalgia pants.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It is far more than the sum of its parts.

Mostly it's because the writing is supreme - it feels as though it was written by actual gorwn-ups who've experienced the full spectrum that life offers rather than by some irony-soaked 38-but-thinks-he's-24 millennial who's idea of having his heart broken is the day his reddit account was accidentally deleted.

And it has heart.
I didn't feel it, and I'd rather read a book than sitting through all that slog just to enjoy some cool cutscenes.

And I tried, played for about 80 hours but I just wasn't enjoying it a lot. Going open world was a mistake, but I guess it was the style at the time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing about giant games is every one of these devs spends a shit load of time doing all this, but most people (I think) will beat the game choosing a certain path, do a bit of side quests and thats it.

There's only so many completionist gamers trying to do everything or beating the game again to get different endings kind of thing.

What makes big open games worse for devs is the mandatory strive for "hey gamers, our next game is even bigger". How many adventure games have sequels that are smaller?

GTA games probably started out as 5 km2, then 10 km2, then 20 km2 etc.... their next game is probably 50 km2. Have any gamers ever said 10 or 20 km2 is too small, so Rockstar we need an even bigger land mass and content to go with it? Or are they just doing it to themselves as bigger is always better?

Last edited:
Gamers are dumber than ever... just make a shit linear game with somewhat good gameplay(even if its easy and dumbed down) put in "waifu" microtransaction shit... make a buck...

Top Bottom