• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

devs are afraid to make another witcher 3 these days

Fbh

I don't think it's "afraid" as much as AAA games are getting increasingly more expensive to make and it's hard to justify spending tons of time and money working on content that a majority of players won't see.
Don't take me wrong, I think it's awesome when devs do and it's one of the big reasons why FROM games are so amazing to explore. They aren't afraid to make some of the coolest areas, bosses and gear completely optional and easily missable which is why coming across them is so fun and you actually want to go out of your way to see everything.

Which is, again, why I'd rather have devs focus on other elements instead of visuals. Yeah Elden Ring doesn't have cutting edge graphics, or animation and it recycled stuff from previous FROM games. But it also has optional areas and bosses that are better than the main story content of most other games.

Also it's still doable with smaller titles though. For example Triangle Strategy from last year had some massive decisions and the story could end up going in wildly different directions towards the end

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I will play whatever they make but I'm a little worried about what direction they are taking Witcher in. I hope it's not a game where you create your own Witcher. Creating your own character worked great in Cyberpunk but not sure it'll work in Witcher. Witcher is based on books and Cyberpunk is based on a pen and paper RPG. totally different sources.

Honestly I want a game where we play as Ciri, who has maybe lost her powers for some reason, and we still get to see Geralt/Yennefer/Triss. It just wouldn't feel the same without the main cast of characters.

and yeah the Cyberypunk sequel i'm hyped for even if it is not going to be out for many years yet :messenger_crying:

Agree completely. I want a preset character as well. Would love to play as Ciri with her warping and time travelling abilities but im pretty sure that it will be a whole new trilogy. I can see a character creation in the smaller spin off Witcher games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Forespoken clearly did not 'work' in the current gaming landscape so you are definitely no authority on what works.
Current gaming landscape are a bunch of twitter idiots who just saw a tweet with "bad dialogue" and that was enough to skip the game and jump on the hate bandwagon.
The movement and combat in this is some of the best ever in an open world game like that. What a waste....

Deerock71

Witcher 3 would not work today. It is boring af
Soldiers Falling GIF

(just piling on) :messenger_tongue:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think it's "afraid" as much as AAA games are getting increasingly more expensive to make and it's hard to justify spending tons of time and money working on content that a majority of players won't see.
Don't take me wrong, I think it's awesome when devs do and it's one of the big reasons why FROM games are so amazing to explore. They aren't afraid to make some of the coolest areas, bosses and gear completely optional and easily missable which is why coming across them is so fun and you actually want to go out of your way to see everything.

Which is, again, why I'd rather have devs focus on other elements instead of visuals. Yeah Elden Ring doesn't have cutting edge graphics, or animation and it recycled stuff from previous FROM games. But it also has optional areas and bosses that are better than the main story content of most other games.

Also it's still doable with smaller titles though. For example Triangle Strategy from last year had some massive decisions and the story could end up going in wildly different directions towards the end
I think the focus on giant open world games with tons of content (whether it's filler or not is up for debate), comes from everyone from gamers and devs using GTA as the benchmark.

The series sells a shit ton of copies, are huge worlds, has great production values and scores a 95 rating every time.

So tons of people expect these kinds of games to compare as close to GTA as possible.

SHA

I'm disappointed to see this happening while we still at the early days of photo realism, it just keeps getting further and further this way and we may not actually be able to see it , arts still arts even by definition standards they all still relatively look indistinguishable.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Witcher 3 is the last AAA rpg that we will ever see with actual decisions to make and consequences , devs are too afraid too make another one including CDPR , i bet that witcher 4 will be dumbed down version just like cyberpunk is , devs know that in order to make an AAA game in which decisions matter they will need alot of cutscenes for all those outcomes , and that means alot of money

why should they risk it ? when they can just give you the illusion of choice ? as good as witcher 3 was more people finished a game like horizon forbidden west , so they dont like to bother with decision making , its much safer to just dumb down the rpg elements and invest in the quality of the much fewer cutscenes , that way your chance of making profit is much higher , in the end everyone wants profit , thats the main goal

all those upcoming rpgs , witcher 4 , fable , avowed , starfield , i bet they will barely have any rpg elements , look at starfield , all they could talk about was how big is the game and they have thousand of planets and you can visit every one , like size makes a game better , you can see that todd barely talked about rpg elements and when we was asked about it all he had to say is that they are trying to bring back more hardcore elements and the only example he used was the ability to choose your pronouns

imagine asking someone how much of an rpg is your game and he tells you that "its a very hardcore rpg , you can choose your pronouns "

It sucks but AAA rpg is doomed

A few thoughts:

1. Witcher 3 wasn't the last to include choice & consequence. As others have pointed out, Outer Worlds, Elden Ring, and Hogwarts Legacy all have them, and I'm sure we could come up with more examples.

2. You said more people finished HFW than W3, but I've read stats showing only 20% of people finished HFW, so I wouldn't be so sure.

3. You said, "All those upcoming RPGS -- Witcher 4, Fable, Avowed, Starfield -- I bet they will barely have any RPG elements." Well, first, I think you're jumping to conclusions; why not wait and see? Second, you're conflating choice & consequence (one element of an RPG) with "RPG elements." Almost all games have "RPG elements" at this point, and surely all those games you list will have plenty of them. Whether they are strong on c & c is another issue.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Both Forspoken and The Witcher 3 are kinda shit, but for different reasons. Also, would be cool to have some discussion instead of people dismissing other's opinions with just le snarky comment.

Roni

Gold Member
Witcher 3 is the last AAA rpg that we will ever see with actual decisions to make and consequences , devs are too afraid too make another one including CDPR , i bet that witcher 4 will be dumbed down version just like cyberpunk is , devs know that in order to make an AAA game in which decisions matter they will need alot of cutscenes for all those outcomes , and that means alot of money

why should they risk it ? when they can just give you the illusion of choice ? as good as witcher 3 was more people finished a game like horizon forbidden west , so they dont like to bother with decision making , its much safer to just dumb down the rpg elements and invest in the quality of the much fewer cutscenes , that way your chance of making profit is much higher , in the end everyone wants profit , thats the main goal

all those upcoming rpgs , witcher 4 , fable , avowed , starfield , i bet they will barely have any rpg elements , look at starfield , all they could talk about was how big is the game and they have thousand of planets and you can visit every one , like size makes a game better , you can see that todd barely talked about rpg elements and when we was asked about it all he had to say is that they are trying to bring back more hardcore elements and the only example he used was the ability to choose your pronouns

imagine asking someone how much of an rpg is your game and he tells you that "its a very hardcore rpg , you can choose your pronouns "

What? The endings in Cyberpunk take completely different turns depending on what you choose. You can influence the politics at Arasaka for crying out loud!

Current gaming landscape are a bunch of twitter idiots who just saw a tweet with "bad dialogue" and that was enough to skip the game and jump on the hate bandwagon.
The movement and combat in this is some of the best ever in an open world game like that. What a waste....
If that is true, you will see the game promoted as a hidden gem years from now when it costs 10 dollars. You will have to wait and see if you’re proven right.

Also if you find Witcher boring there’s nothing wrong with that. I think the issue people are having with that post is that it feels like you’re painting your opinion as factual.

I also didn’t enjoy a popular game that much, Red Dead Redemption 2, because a lot of it’s mission design felt old and rigid, and that held back some of the newer, more creative, and open decisions in that game. Also animations taking forever ends up being an annoyance when done for the thousandth time. I’m not going to sit here and definitively claim that RDR 2 is boring or bad. It simply wasn’t for me 🤷‍♂️.

edit: Lol calm down guys. I finished the game when it was brand new... but it's kinda a slog when I tried playing it recently and now I think it was always a slog.
You don't have to agree !
Agreed. I played the game two years after launch and loved it, because all the main and sides and dlc. Tremendous experience. Trying for a second playthrough was a slog.

Smiggs

Both Forspoken and The Witcher 3 are kinda shit, but for different reasons. Also, would be cool to have some discussion instead of people dismissing other's opinions with just le snarky comment.
When people act like their opinions are fact, especially toward one of the most highly awarded and best selling games ever, it's hard to remove the snark.

Nothing wrong with not liking it. Saying it's bad or boring like it's fact is pretty dumb, though.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yes, Witcher 3 choices actually matter and it is night and day difference with its effect on how the story goes. Many characters stories can be missed and it is not your stupid copy and paste quests but actually a good written story and series of quests that probably most players will miss.

It's not that they're scared and more they understand people would probably rather have a more linear story to go through instead of something that might take a bunch of replays to see all of it.

GymWolf

It's a slog for sure.

Combat sucks.
Open world? Map markers up the ass, with nothing interesting to find on your own.
Side missions? Some might have good writting sure, but gameplay wise they are an absolute chore.
Main mission? Another slog. It's not really bad but the moment I think of Novigrad I fall sleep.

I don't get the praise. The Witcher 2 was a much better game.
Both dlc are much better than main game story wise, finding cirilla was boring and the wild hunt are a lame villain.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Both dlc are much better than main game story wise, finding cirilla was boring and the wild hunt are a lame villain.
I still have to give those DLCs a go, heard many good things about them.

My only recollection of the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt was buying it from Game on release and then taking it back to Game after an hour, to get a refund because of all the bugs and crashes. 🫣

StueyDuck

Witcher 3 and breath of the Wild come in the "my first video game so now i know all of gaming" starter pack.

They are both extremely overrated by their fans and both blow their loads within the first 10 hours.

As for the idea of choices having real consequence. The only games that really offer that (the Witcher 3 is not) is CRPGs and games like divinity and baldurs gate 3 (larian do a great job) but overall, no game has real choices that make real impact.

So yeah your bloody baron hung himself. How did that actually effect anything in the Witcher 3 apart from a slideshow cutscene being different at the end of the level

Last edited:

Shut0wen

The fact its on unreal engine 5 pretty much confirms that consequences in witcher 4 is going to be no where like it was on witcher 3, but maybe starfield will change this

GymWolf

I still have to give those DLCs a go, heard many good things about them.
If you absolutely hate combat and how quest are structured, they are not gonna change your idea.

it's the story where things gets much better, and the second one also has a new big location that looks great.

anthraticus

Banned
The legit RPGs in the modern era come from the indie space and smaller teams. When you spend shitloads of money making a game, you're gonna have to dumb it down and make some consessions, trying to appeal to casuals to make that $$ back. (like the Twitcher 3 also did in other aspects)

Check out the upcoming Colony Ship for a proper RPG experience
qX6j2Gr.png

HYDE

Banned
edit: Lol calm down guys. I finished the game when it was brand new... but it's kinda a slog when I tried playing it recently and now I think it was always a slog.
He’s right, boring ass game. Bloated af

boo

Gold Member
Witcher 3 is one of my most loved games and also one of my comfort food games. For instance, I love playing the main story up until Skellige, then just start roaming around doing whatever as Geralt. Making my own stories up as I go along. Even just having the game on in the background, listening to the music of Skellige.

Last edited:

Banned
It's a slog for sure.

Combat sucks.
Open world? Map markers up the ass, with nothing interesting to find on your own.
Side missions? Some might have good writting sure, but gameplay wise they are an absolute chore.
Main mission? Another slog. It's not really bad but the moment I think of Novigrad I fall sleep.

I don't get the praise. The Witcher 2 was a much better game.

I can't stand it... it's such a fucking boring game to play it's ridiculous.
every fucking quest is literally just "follow mission marker...." > "turn on Batman's Detective Vision and walk along path" > "oh no! enemy! now use the mediocre fighting system for 2 min!" > "now run back to NPC"

I tried, really tried, playing it on One X back when the One X version came out with the unlocked framerate (worked really well at 120hz + Freesync), and I just couldn't for more than 4h

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Every RPG that Obsidian makes has a ton of choice, consequence scenarios. Even simple text based RPG like Pentiment.

Also, Starfield is going big with RPG elements.

"I think there are so many games that do those things that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older, hardcore RPGs--some of the things we used to do--doing those again in a new way," he added

Interestingly enough Starfield is backing away from choices and consequences as well. You can join and be successful in allain factions and side factions.

So in a sense they are gearing this up for people not playing through twice.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I agree with you. It's a good game with one of the most boring open worlds ever conceived.

X-Wing

Witcher 3 was good but it isn't fun by today's standards anymore.
The combat is trash by the way.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Witcher 3 is the last AAA rpg that we will ever see with actual decisions to make and consequences
All of those games, including Mass Effect, Witcher 3 and others only give the illusion of choice and consequence, but are linear games themselves.
The simple fact these games have canon endings already throws all that illusion out of the window.

Only tabletop RPGs (and real life) are non-linear.
Dwarf Fortress comes close, I suppose.

Thirty7ven

Banned
All of those games, including Mass Effect, Witcher 3 and others only give the illusion of choice and consequence, but are linear games themselves.
The simple fact these games have canon endings already throws all that illusion out of the window.

Only tabletop RPGs (and real life) are non-linear.
Dwarf Fortress comes close, I suppose.

Doesn’t throw the illusion out of the window because choices you made in Witcher 2 affect Witcher 3. You can have completely different endings too.

Above all though these options are there to give the player some control on tone and rhythm. Just like being able to cut Geralt’s hair and beard help with the tone, as does the armor aesthetics you go with.

It’s great stuff.

RaySoft

I see your point, but all cutscenes now are real-time anyways, so no tedious renderfarms etc. I understand that scenes still have to be directed and mo-cap'ed etc. but it seems like everyone forgets that the dev-tools also evolve. We humans are lazy beings;-) If you look back at gamedev. since the '80 to present day, the technological barrier is waaaay lower than before. Tools was a foreign word back in the day, and if you found the time, you would make it yourself to like automate some processes or watever.
But today the far most resources goes into scheduling/management while teams grows in size. The hard part today is more like bringing the vision into a finished product.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Doesn’t throw the illusion out of the window because choices you made in Witcher 2 affect Witcher 3. You can have completely different endings too.
Which red, green or blue dress you want to wear?

Doesn't matter! You're still wearing a dress!

flying_sq

I don't think decision making comes into completion percentages for Witcher 3. I have played it for about 2 hours and it just seems bloated and boring. I want to like it, but it just goes on and on with pointless stuff.

Mozzarella

I dont think i agree with that, developers are certainly and most definitely not afraid to make a Witcher 3 game, considering we are getting 2-3 Witcher 3 clones every year. What happens however is that most of the developers failed to replicate the charm and the experience it offers, i think thats what some people call "heart and soul", the game had those simply for the reason it was made by people who cared about the game and its source material, everything feels authentic, the place and the world they crafted feels more real and authentic, perhaps because it was inspired by slav mythology and atmosphere, the right man in the right place? probably, im just speculating here.
Every quest feels worthwhile because it was handled with as much care and love as possible, the writing and how characters are made was engaging so people easily related to them, i find it fascinating that its the 3rd game in the franchise and despite most people ignoring the prequels it managed to become very successful, thats not to be underestimated, i personally couldn't allow myself to do that, so i replayed all the games to increase my chance of liking it and boy it did help, by the time i reached the 3rd game, i immediately started to appreciate the improvements lol.

Also big part of the acclaim goes back to the DLCs, the 2 expansions certainly elevated the game, without them i dont think we would still be talking about Witcher 3 as positively as we do. Although i doubt for people who hated the main game they are going to change their mind, but for people who liked the main game, these 2 expansions made sure you will like it a lot better.

Also probably because Geralt is a likable protagonist, the Witcher 3 clones had bland or uninteresting or sometimes annoying protagonist, whereas when it comes to Geralt its easier to relate and roleplay yourself in his shoes.
The game also still looks great due to its great art direction and pretty visuals and constant attention from CDPR and its community such as Next-Gen upgrades and TV shows.

Finally i want to note that despite its shortcomings, the game probably managed to stay in the talks for game of the decade because of the harmony of its structure, everything flows together, from the world to the atmosphere to the writing and even to its gameplay, its one of the games that you point out and say its more the sum of its parts rather than just one aspect that really stand out, although i would say there is aspects that stand out such as side quests and characters.
As for making another one like it, I dont think its that hard, all you need is a competent writing team and people who are passionate, thats it, the game is not complex or anything, the open world, the gameplay and the main story are not some abstract complicated five dimensional stuff, no its actually simple, and could be improved upon too, it just needs less soulless people and more passionate ones.
The success of W3 influenced games like Assaassin's Creed, Greedfall, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima and Hogwarts Legacy. I would say out of those the one that came close was Ghost of Tsushima but still even that still has much more to reach it.

Forespoken clearly did not 'work' in the current gaming landscape so you are definitely no authority on what works.

Soldiers Falling GIF

(just piling on) :messenger_tongue:
Funny because if i remember correctly rofif said he was polish, its rare to see a polish person dunking on W3, its like a gaming icon to them at this point, praising it feels like a national service :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Elden Ring has choices that have consequences and different endings, so you should be right elden ring 2 gotta be a lock at this point.

Elden Ring's choices do impact content you can play but the endings are all pretty much the same with pretty much no impact to other characters in the game (except one). Games like Fallout have much better ending paths based on who you chose to side with. Witcher 3 had more ending impact based on choices made than Elden Ring (what happens to Ciri, who wins the war, which all charcaters survive etc.).

Top Bottom