• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control PS5 Vs Xbox Series X Raytracing Benchmark

AnotherOne

DgcwBoI.jpg
xx1bSWw.jpg

iHUJqM6.jpg

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

Tower of power strikes again and all that..

Last edited:

skit_data

Pretty interesting, similar to the first next-gen comparison with DMC.

Most interesting is them theorizing that it might be possible to run the game at 60fps with ray tracing if resolution is dropped to 1080p.

Last edited:
Series X wins...in photo mode? Is this what has become of us?
Pretending to miss the point :)))

The thing i find fascinating is ... playstation was always weaker than all its competition, historically. ps1 weaker than n64. ps2 was used as a mop by xbox and gamecube. xbox 360 was doing circles around ps3. The only anomaly was with the ps4 vs xbox one. The way things are now is just the natural order of things. Why are sony fans having so much difficulty coming to terms with this, when this was the situation their entire history ?

VanEs

Was just watching this video and seems like a clear cut Series X advantage over PS5 (in Photo Mode at least). Weird how that doesn't really translate to the performance video. With these margins you'd expect Series X to outclass PS5.
Maybe actual gameplay is different. Or maybe Series X does have an advantage after all. Interesting.

Series X wins...in photo mode? Is this what has become of us?

There are so many other caveats in photo modes, in photo modes many of the fancy effects are always on, compared to actual gameplay where particle draw calls and those engineering magic help with optimization. We need real gameplay comparison to judge which hardware is more efficient. But on mere photo mode, it's a win for Xbox.

JonkyDonk

I mean sure, the XSX has an 18% on paper GPU advantage and this photo mode benchmark is a pure GPU test, nothing else, so this result makes sense. During active gameplay though it's different because there is more going on and other factors that play a part. For example in the 60fps mode PS5 runs smoother because of some other, possibly I/O related, stuttering on Xbox.

AMD RT is done via CUs.. and XSX has 52 vs PS5 has 36.. so this is expected. And fairly useless cause the game is 30 fps.

Again the 16 additional CU's with higher bandwidth on XSX, we don't know how much it translates to real world experience. Because there are no real world RT experience to compare besides Watch Dogs Legion which ran at 30fps across both consoles.

kyliethicc

Again the 16 additional CU's with higher bandwidth on XSX, we don't know how much it translates to real world experience. Because there are no real world RT experience to compare besides Watch Dogs Legion which ran at 30fps across both consoles.
Kinda higher bandwidth. 336 is less than 448 so sometimes the PS5 has more.

is this a joke? Photo mode?

News Flash, "Xbox now has a share button and gamers around the world can now share their favorite moments from their games to social networking platforms" just read that in Phil's voice. So yeah Xbox community now has a share button to share screenshots, you could expect plenty of time being spent on photo mode.

Last edited:

vkbest

Was just watching this video and seems like a clear cut Series X advantage over PS5 (in Photo Mode at least). Weird how that doesn't really translate to the performance video. With these margins you'd expect Series X to outclass PS5.
Maybe actual gameplay is different. Or maybe Series X does have an advantage after all. Interesting.

On photo mode you don’t need the CPU so much and probably the differences on most games means CPU PS5 is performing better

Last edited:
There it is in black and white so to speak, argument over.

Hey riky, there really is no argument here. For those who prefer higher frame rates on photo mode using ray tracing could go with Xbox, clear deciding factor if that's what people want. For those who want stutter free 60fps(with minor dips) during actual real world gameplay along with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers for added immersion, well you all know which platform that is!

nowhat

its actually the best benchmark yet because the game and setting are exactly the same..... photo mode just unlocks the frame cap.
For rendering a static scene, sure. But when a game is actually running, you have to stream assets and juggle memory around - not going to go into SSD speeds debate here, but you really can't read too much into it. If at all. Calling this a benchmark is just for clicks (and I'm willing to bet it worked).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
In some ways confirms speculation. However it kind of leaves the game/system in no man's land, at least in this case. The added power doesn't seem to get us to the magic 60fps reliably.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is actually kinda interesting.

16% lead on average in a purely GPU related task. If you woulda told us this 6 months ago, there would be nothing but revolt.

I’m not surprised that Richard goes on a tangent about silicon investment return and “early days” and “parity”. He clearly wanted more ahahahaha so pathetic. And people say he’s neutral!

Complete disregard for draw calls doesn’t surprise me either!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
AMD RT is done via CUs.. and XSX has 52 vs PS5 has 36.. so this is expected. And fairly useless cause the game is 30 fps.

Exactly. We already knew the power delta on paper. This photo mode benchmark confirms that. Great. As they clearly mentioned in the video, unlocking the frame rate would cause drastic shifts and not be pleasant on either console. This is why when people are actually playing the game, on either version, they get 30fps.

16% average performance advantage for Series X. That's just the average. It goes up to 25% at times.

That means the difference will go much lower than 16% as well.

Last edited:

darkleemar

Neo Member
I find it interesting that in an actual tough scene to render (the corridor of doom) the performance is pretty much exactly the same. I wish we could see this test with actual gameplay. I feel like they would be closer than photo mode leads us to believe. Cool to see what that xbox silicone is capable of though. Definitely an impressive chip.

kyliethicc

The rates are per-clock, though, so in the end the difference is the same as the TF figure.
I'm just saying if the AMD RX 6800 (with 60 CUs) got benchmarked against the upcoming RX 6700 XT (with 40 CUs), the 6800 is gonna win in RT benchmarks with all other settings equal. Same with comparing Nvidia cards. More RT cores = more FPS in RT.

So the XSX can average like 5 FPS higher Control RT in PHOTO MODE lol ... but PS5 has what counts. The games. (And its $100 cheaper.)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
BTW that leave us with some questions.

In Phone Mode where the CPU is doing basically nothing the X GPU shows it power but when in gameplay where the CPU is doing physics and all the things related to gameplay PS5 match or pull ahead.

We are seeing that Series X being CPU bottlenecked? Makes sense if you look at most 120Hz comparisons where the CPU is used way more than on 60Hz and PS5 pull again ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom