• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: Immortals of Aveum - First Console FSR3 Frame-Gen Game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

EZwRtr8.png

mNPJw9t.png

Part of this week's DF Dierct, time-stamped the relevant segment.

They don't do a console comparison and only cover how the feature works on the SX version.

Only works on 120hz displays, patch introduces a V-Sync on/off and FSR3 Frame Gen on/off toggle.

Feels like a 60 FPS+ game, no perceptible input delay. "Genuinely does" feel like a 120hz HFR game.

Caveats: Uses FSR upscaling which doesn't have the best image resolve. IQ is "largely bad". That's not the fault of frame gen, that's just this games FSR implementation

2D elements don't update with FSR frame-gen (eg 'follow someone' dots.

Anything that passes 2D overlays like objective boxes and tutorial boxes drops to non frame-gen frame rate.

Really fast moving objects close to the camera can show frame-gen artifacts. But it gets away with it for the most part.

Gameplay runs 'pretty well' with FS3 but scene-cuts during cut-scenes can have occasional pauses with frame-gen on.

The above 'pausing' issue only happens in cut-scenes, not in game play.

Per John, FSR Frame Gen 3 here is better here than (most) cases on PC he's tested before.

Both John and Rich prefer FSR3 Frame Gen 3 on here, even with any caveats it presents.

V-Sync on with FSR3 frame-gen can have 'long persistent' frames in some areas (a frame hangs for a notable time)

Despite AMD's recommendation of base framerate being 60, DF thinks it works pretty well here even though the game hangs below 60 most of the time without frame-gen

In some very rare cases the non frame-gen version with V-Sync off can run faster than Frame-Gen version when not much is going on, but these are rare exceptions

Last edited:

AzekZero

AMD's upscaling tech has been pretty lackluster, but I'm pretty happy with the frame gen tech. Daily drive frame gen on a bunch of games on PC.

If it's pretty much the same as on the PC version then it's not too bad. I only really noticed oddities when switching magic as the vembrace would go all fuzzy - easy to ignore if you just think of it as part of the switch effect

onQ123

The era of Faux FPS is apon us

Soon we will be able to enjoy gaming again without the back & forth about which platform is doing this & that.

Psych see you in the next Digital Foundry thread!

Thief1987

I tried it with VRR and disabled vsync, and I'm not really notice any additional input delay. I understand that it is there, it can't be the other way, but seems like it's very modest, or maybe I'm not very sensitive to it.

adamsapple

I tried it with VRR and disabled vsync, and I'm not really notice any additional input delay. I understand that it is there, it can't be the other way, but seems like it's very modest, or maybe I'm not very sensitive to it.

V-Sync off will actually lower the lateny, On will increase it, but DF didn't mention any notable difference one way or the other.

I'm sure they're gonna do more videos on this later.

The increased latency is a little more manageable with a controller in that it's less noticeable compared to KB/M

Fbh

Dropped this game partially because the performance on ps5 was absolutely horrible. Worst feeling FPS I've played in a long time.

Bit im tempted to redownload it to at least check out this update

Zathalus

Gave it a spin on PS5, VRR and 120hz TV with Vsync off felt fine, great even. Really good implementation of frame gen. Hopefully they update the horrible FSR to 3.1 as well when it arrives.

CamHostage

AMD's upscaling tech has been pretty lackluster, but I'm pretty happy with the frame gen tech. Daily drive frame gen on a bunch of games on PC.

They haven't yet implemented FSR 3.1 Upscaling (and 3.0 really had nothing added over 2.2 aside from Frame Gen), so hopefully that will resolve some of the issues that make it unlikable. Still will assumedly fall behind other scalers tuned for specific hardware, but 3.1 has a chance to make a good difference.

King Dazzar

I tried the free trial earlier (no need for PS+ on PS5) and thought it looked surprisingly good. Decent HDR and nice 4k upscale. But the motion, whilst good, isnt as nice as when I disabled frame gen. But you need frame gen to smooth out the drops even with VRR. I might revisit when I get a pro. But tbh, the gameplay felt a bit pants too... Its got some good/different art in there though. Something about it for a brief moment reminded me of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic....

shamoomoo

The era of Faux FPS is apon us

Soon we will be able to enjoy gaming again without the back & forth about which platform is doing this & that.

Psych see you in the next Digital Foundry thread!
The PS5 is going to better anyway,Jk.

I'm not joking,yes I am.

I'm not.

adamsapple

FSR3 or not this game is the pinnacle of the ugliest.

It's also a mediocre game at best, but unfortunately it's the first console game to have this frame-gen tech so we gotta bring it up more.

adamsapple

Tried this for a few minutes, the frame-gen is definitely 'observable'. You can immediately notice .. for the lack of a better word .. extra smoothness. I didn't really notice much in terms of latency or added input delay in the few minutes.

I did, however, see the same issue DF pointed. Anything that's in the background of the 2D elements like objective boxes is clearly rendering at the original frame rate, the frame-gen is not taking effect there.

Not sure if this shitty streamable video will show it off properly, but here goes. Keep an eye on the stuff behind the transparent objective box on the top left.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let's be honest guys. If consoles get forced to 30fps or 40fps to look good then I'd take a framegen to 60 fps. Sure it would still feel like a 30fps game but at least it will look better in motion.

FingerBang

Pretty obvious the issue is with reconstruction more than frame generation. This tech is absolutely worth it when done correctly (and over 60fps). Hopefully, it will pair well with PSSR.

The problem with the back of UI running at the hold framerate is interesting. It could be a bug or bad implementation, or maybe there's no API to call frame-gen between 3D and UI rendering, and this is what happens when you run it on the entire image. I'm sure it's fixable either way.

Mahavastu

Caveats: Uses FSR upscaling which doesn't have the best image resolve. IQ is "largely bad". That's not the fault of frame gen, that's just this games FSR implementation
Anyone else thinks that the image quality got MUCH worse with the patch, even with frame gen disabled?
I used to be quite impressed with the image quality before beside some minor dithering.
But now after the patch the image is full with dithering and it really looks really horrible.

But then I am stuck at a boss fight (I am too stupid to beat Sandrakk) and maybe it is only here?

Mr.Phoenix

Let's be honest guys. If consoles get forced to 30fps or 40fps to look good then I'd take a framegen to 60 fps. Sure it would still feel like a 30fps game but at least it will look better in motion.
Now just imagine what a PS5pro will do with this. You can take that standard PS5 game running quality mode at 30fps native 1800p-4k. Drop that to 1440p native on the Pro and use PSSR reconstruction (so basically PSSR quality) and get that to 4K and running at 45-55fps. Then use frame gen and get that up to 80fps+.

And to anyone that has been looking at whats been going on over the last 4 years, you would know that this was where we were always going to end up.

The single biggest advancements in all GPUs or rendering techs are things that work around having to render actual native pixels.

And I don't even worry about it feeling like 30fps. I mean let's face it, we have some 30fps games with better input latency than some 60fps games. But I don't think anyone has ever looked at a 30fps game and what they were talking about was latency. The issue with 30fps games is and has always been motion smoothness just like you alluded to. And if this solves that, that would be the single best thing to happen to console gamers.

Now what we need to see is how this works on a proper V-synced unlocked 30fps console game (so something that hovers in the 30-45fps range).
It has to also play properly, a 60 FPS game with a lot of input latency will be all but useless.
While like with everything else I expect there to be some growing pains, I feel input latency would be one of the easiest things for any dev to tackle if they are building a game from the ground up with support of frame gen.

It works on 60fps screen, but you will need to disable vsync, with all caveats of this move, it's just not very ideal experience.
This is the one thing about the coverage from this I am not impressed with by DF. I would think they would do a more exhaustive coverage of something like this as this is likely something that we start seeing in pretty much every game going forward.

Like, let's take this v-synced disabled FG on a 60hz screen thingy. What happens if that 60Hz TV also supports VRR?

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It works on 60fps screen, but you will need to disable vsync, with all caveats of this move, it's just not very ideal experience.
It works with VSync enabled too - though obviously you're capped at 60 then.

Did you watch the video ?
They specifically said input latency was not a problem with a pad.
Define 'not a problem'. Input is noticeably laggier with vs. without frame-gen - and in an FPS with controller - I can feel the impact on aiming.
But I haven't played this game enough to be able to say with any certainty what's preferred way to play - but on experience with aiming-alone, I'd prefer to keep frame-gen off.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Only works on a 120hz display?

I hope that is just this game and not a framegen limitation.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Considering the base requirement of frame gen is 60 FPS per AMD, you will absolutely need a higher than 60hz refresh display to get any benefits.

You have an optional toggle to disable V-Sync, but disabling V-Sync on a 60hz display will tear like a motherfucker.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Considering the base requirement of frame gen is 60 FPS per AMD, you will absolutely need a higher than 60hz refresh display to get any benefits.

You have an optional toggle to disable V-Sync, but disabling V-Sync on a 60hz display will tear like a motherfucker.
Immortals runs at sub 60 a lot.

winjer

Gold Member
Yes, that's true but the whole point of frame-gen is increasing FPS beyond 60. It's current target is 60 already.

That is not correct.
Frame generation works well at 30 fps, to deliver 60 fps. The only problem is that the game will continue to have the input latency of a 30 fps game.

adamsapple

That is not correct.
Frame generation works well at 30 fps, to deliver 60 fps. The only problem is that the game will continue to have the input latency of a 30 fps game.

The whole point of frame-gen in this game*

There's no 30 FPS toggle in Aveum at all so there's not really any other thing it could be doing.

winjer

Gold Member
The whole point of frame-gen in this game*

There's no 30 FPS toggle in Aveum at all so there's not really any other thing it could be doing.

There isn't because the devs chose not to.
They could have 30 fps mode, with FG, if they really wanted it.

Fbh

Just tried this out.
Damn, can we get this in every game moving forward please?

The game is still crap but it looks so much better now, the battles in particular have at least become more enjoyable now that it doesn't feel like the frame rate is jumping all over the place.

It might not be as responsive as real frames. But it sure looks and feels way better than just normal 30fps or a crappy uneven 30-60 range.

Top Bottom