• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not to spoil the fun but 40-45 fps with vrr on oled will look like crap because of constantly changing gamma. Sudden drops might even look like flicker.
Not to say that 55fps on ps5 is any better... will be frame pacing galore.

And pc as usual - issues. But It's surprising because ds3 and sekiro are excellent on pc

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol well enjoy. Not bashing you. I guess you really want to support FromSoftware.

Haha, I’m not in denial but I am genuinely a huge fan of their games and I have friends across all platforms that I look forward to playing in co op with.

Just needs some patches and I think all platforms will get there.
if I was MS i would be getting peeps in touch with FromSoft to assist in the direct x 12 implementation and Xbox Versions.

same with Sony for the ps5. Ps5 is gonna be the number one choice for this if they can get VRR activated.

REDRZA MWS

Yes, I know……

I’ve actually read the article, g sync helps on pc so I’ll be ok there. I wish Sony would allow me to download the PS4 version with the ps5 disk…but hey ho.

I would imagine there will be significant pressure to get FromSoft to fix the GOAT On all platforms.
I bought digitally and have the option to play the ps4 version but that defeats the purpose of owning a PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not to spoil the fun but 40-45 fps with vrr on oled will look like crap because of constantly changing gamma. Sudden drops might even look like flicker.

And pc as usual - issues. But It's surprising because ds3 and sekiro are excellent on pc
Honestly, that range you won’t see the flicker I don’t think. It’s only really apparent I think on sever lurches on loading screens etc.

saying this, if by some miracle they’ve fixed the gamma issue on the C2 I would sell my CX for like a grand and pay the upgrade to remove it…only if it was totally fixed as the I’ve only actually seen it is in war zones walking screen and loading screen.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

They moved to DX12 on pc which is much more complicated to set up than the previous versions.

ethomaz

Banned
Its by no means the magic bullet but seems to be the better option if someone is trying to decide between Series S/PS5 which to play it on if they dont have a beefy PC which also has issues
He seems to have trying to find an alternative like he found on PS5 (run the PS4 App) on Series X... he keep asking for help on Twitter all day long yesterday... he was not happy with Series X + VRR option and tried to find a better way for the readers.

Right now for the shame of From Software the best way to play it on consoles is running the PS4 App on PS5... it is locked 60fps with some trade offs.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I''ll probably catch shit for this but oh well, I think the game doesn't look good at all, very last gen, and as such there's no reason why it shouldn't attain a locked 60fps on current gen. The devs just aren't up to snuff.
giphy.gif

jorgejjvr

I''ll probably catch shit for this but oh well, I think the game doesn't look good at all, very last gen, and as such there's no reason why it shouldn't attain a locked 60fps on current gen. The devs just aren't up to snuff.
its is def not a impressive looking game visually, if horizon can keep a locked 60 in performance, no reason why this cant

Banned
He seems to have trying to find an alternative like he found on PS5 (run the PS4 App) on Series X... he keep asking for help on Twitter all day long yesterday... he was not happy with Series X + VRR option and tried to find a better way for the readers.

Right now for the shame of From Software the best way to play it on consoles is running the PS4 App on PS5... it is locked 60fps.

you technically can run the One X version on Series X, but it will most likely cut you out from online features.

you install the game on an external drive on One X. then unplug that drive and plug it into your Series X. when the game tells you to "upgrade" you simply decline and run the One X version.

very convoluted method but that should work...
so people that still have their One X or One S could do that to also run at a perfect 60fps, but it's a fucking hassle to set up lol... and the issue with online functions is also not good of course.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Right now for the shame of From Software the best way to play it on consoles is running the PS4 App on PS5... it is locked 60fps with some trade offs.
Its kind of sad that such a mega game has these issues

ethomaz

Banned
you technically can run the One X version on Series X, but it will most likely cut you out from online features.

you install the game on an external drive on One X. then unplug that drive and plug it into your Series X. when the game tells you to "upgrade" you simply decline and run the One X version.

very convoluted method but that should work...
so people that still have their One X or One S could do that to also run at a perfect 60fps, but it's a fucking hassle to set up lol... and the issue with online functions is also not good of course.
I don't know if he tried that option... maybe you ca share with him.
He was trying all the ways to play the XB1 X version on Series X but failed due the Smart Delivery.

@dark1x

Edit - Is dark account not anymore in GAF?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How can a Dev with this history of shit performance get perfect scores everywhere is beyond me, i love souls games but this kind of shit annoys me.

Forza 5 and Horizon got called out cause some minor perfomance issues and those games have solid frames and framepacing.
It'll be okay. It doesn't take away from FH5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly, that range you won’t see the flicker I don’t think. It’s only really apparent I think on sever lurches on loading screens etc.

saying this, if by some miracle they’ve fixed the gamma issue on the C2 I would sell my CX for like a grand and pay the upgrade to remove it…only if it was totally fixed as the I’ve only actually seen it is in war zones walking screen and loading screen.
me too. It's not a big issue and as you say - only flicers when fps jumps. Not when it's smoothly in 40-50 range... but the gamma is still visible brighter than on 120hz

SirTerry-T

For all their fantastic game design and art direction credentials, this sort of thing is getting pretty embarrassing for From Soft. It's like they have their fingers in their ear, obstinately choosing to ignore the criticism of their earlier titles over similar issues. This isn't some one man indie dev were talking about either. It's up to the reviewers to bring them to task over stuff like this instead of pandering to the Souls crowd.

Banned
ya unless they have changed policies, they rarely fix console performance in their games dramatically. ps4 on ps5 for me!

to he fair, they couldnu really fix the performance much last gen as most of the issues were tied to either framepacing or the weak CPUs of the consoles

Lokaum D+

they can easily fix the issues. lower the resolution or settings

the back compat version runs at a perfect 60fps due to running with lower settings
again, ppl didnt bought nextgen consoles to play games on lower settings, the problems is that From dont want to update theirs outdated fucking engine, look at Forza 5 and Horizon FW two games with gigantic open world, high res textures, high assets and great performances.

From need to get called out for this kind of shit.

Last edited:

Banned
The quality mode should be locked 30fps though, or it could offer a 40fps mode. There's so much that could've been done... smh.

their engine has issues with framepacing when enabling a 30fps lock. having an unlocked framerate will most likely actually look and feel better than using their uneven 30fps cap

also running on Series X and using VRR basically gives you a 40fps mode

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ill probably get the PC version and XBox for VRR. It does make a big difference in these unlocked scenarios. but like always with souls games ill more than likely play through on pc first. just more settings to work with.

Boneless

Then that should be reflected in the reviews.
Yes, they should look in their crystal ball.

Since this is new IP which is their highest rated game ever, I expect to see PC fixes that will improve the stutters. They will want to make sure people buy Elden Ring 2 in the future.

NickFire

For all their fantastic game design and art direction credentials, this sort of thing is getting pretty embarrassing for From Soft. It's like they have their fingers in their ear, obstinately choosing to ignore the criticism of their earlier titles over similar issues. This isn't some one man indie dev were talking about either. It's up to the reviewers to bring them to task over stuff like this instead of pandering to the Souls crowd.
There’s nothing embarrassing about this kind of reception. Full stop.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ho boy that 1.2 patch should hopefully bring in some optimization.

This game is coming in real spicy on all platforms. Xbox needs more TLC cause the network beta and no-patch performance is shite.

Banned
I think no Devs 3P/1P designed game for XSX 52CU. i don't expect it with Starfield. Maybe we will see Turn 10 do that with FM

no game is "designed for 52CU". every modern engine is capable of utilizing every core a GPU has. you will see every game on a PC always utilize 100% of the GPU when you push the graphics high enough.

games that don't do that are rare and are getting called out immediately when this happens

scydrex

Damn... don't know if to download ths ps4 version. I played GOW on ps4 pro with the 60fps mode that it's 40-50fps don't remember and enjoyed it more than the 30fps mode. 60fps locked sound nice.

Top Bottom