• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hogwarts Legacy - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - 21 Mode Variations Tested

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sure is funny how games with sony marketing usually run better on sony consoles. I’m sure that has nothing to do with how they’re fighting tooth and nail to hide documents in court cases. must just be coincidence
Well, the game literally has unlocked framerate modes so you can see just how well each GPU performs. Seeing as how both GPUs are identical RDNA2 GPUs save for clock speeds and overall tflops counts, if it performs better on the PS5, it's likely due to PS5 libraries vs directX. Something we see on PC. The Xbox has standarderized development on series consoles and you could argue that the console is no longer getting that coding to the metal programming optimization consoles used to get. They are basically treating the xbox series consoles like just another PC config.

I dont know if its sony's fault or Warner Bros, but it's happened way too often this gen with the XSX displaying the same stuttering issues I encountered in Gotham Knights on PC.

Maybe MS needs to step up their quality control.

SlimySnake

Graphically it looks very underwhelming.

I'm playing Uncharted 4 at the moment and I'm more impressed with how the game looks.
It has its moments. The foliage is absolutely stunning. The atmosphere is off the charts and god i love the hogwarts castle and hogsmead designs. The love they've put into interiors with what must be hundreds of paintings and other minutia details is what makes this game look so special.

Otherwise, i agree its not pushing any boundries but they do an excellent job of capturing the aesthetic of the movies.

Fredrik

They were too late. I already bought the XSX version. Framerate sucks in too many places, I’m kinda pissed tbh, hadn’t bought a game on Xbox since launch and when I finally break the Gamepass-only streak I do it for the wrong game. Already played two nights so I assume I can’t refund either. Should’ve bought it on PS5.
Edit: Just tried to refund. Pray for me GAF!
Edit2: Whoever you are thanks for the prayers! Just got the refund mail! 🌟🤗

Last edited:

solidus12

The (step) father of the PlayStation ladies and gentlemen.
nN9rgj6.gif

Also obligatory lol at this clown 🤡

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They were too late. I already bought the XSX version. Framerate sucks in too many places, I’m kinda pissed tbh, hadn’t bought a game on Xbox since launch and when I finally break the Gamepass-only streak I do it for the wrong game. Already played two nights so I assume I can’t refund either. Should’ve bought it on PS5.
Edit: Just tried to refund. Pray for me GAF!
lmao. good luck and god speed.

If it makes you feel any better, im going through the same issues on PC. Game is just an unoptimized mess on DirectX. Frankly im surprised it runs so smooth on the PS5. Its possible that it was the lead platform but then again so were many last gen games than ran fine on Xbox consoles and PC.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
There was an Xbox patch 2, 3 days ago. I'm not sure if DF's coverage factored that in or if this was recorded before that.

If you recall their DF Direct, Rich was the one who mentioned that they will do a video. I think the others abstained from it and Rich had to spearhead.

I think it runs a bit worse with the patch on Xbox if am honest

Last edited:

Fredrik

lmao. good luck and god speed.

If it makes you feel any better, im going through the same issues on PC. Game is just an unoptimized mess on DirectX. Frankly im surprised it runs so smooth on the PS5. Its possible that it was the lead platform but then again so were many last gen games than ran fine on Xbox consoles and PC.
Check my edit, just got it refunded! 👍 I think I love MS right now… almost makes it feel like shit that I’m jumping in bed with their competitor for this game. But I just hate stutters. Kills my enjoyment of what’s otherwise such a gorgeous game.

SlimySnake

One thing to note.

Richard wonders if XBSX performance may be because of the CPU as the PC version is heavy on the CPU and speculates it may be CPU limited.

This rules out any Teraflops arguments.
Getting tired of these TF and Sony prioritizing nonsense.
But the XSX and PS5 CPUs are nearly identical.

The game is definitely CPU bound on PC, but it still doesnt explain why the PS5 would be performing so much better.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Have to be honest the footage in the video from the Series X version doesn't really mirror my experience. I'm getting stuttering during traversal obviously, but not the huge frame spikes Rich is showing.

But either way, definitely needs some work on Xbox consoles.

Mr.Phoenix

This talk about what people said or didn't say about DF not doing a review...

The only reason any of that talk came up was cause there was chatter of John saying something about never reviewing the game and whatever. And there was no communication (which there usually is) from DF stating that the review was coming and was delayed to get patches in that would be representative of what gamers would play. They have done this before.

I strongly doubt if they had just said that amidst the noise, there wouldn't have been such an outcry toward them.

on topic, I hope all devs do this, DRS with a 4k target, that upsamples from whatever lower bound is needed to hit framerates and an uncapped option for gfx modes. should make next-gen support much easier and not patch dependent.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This talk about what people said or didn't say about DF not doing a review...

The only reason any of that talk came up was cause there was chatter of John saying something about never reviewing the game and whatever. And there was no communication (which there usually is) from DF stating that the review was coming and was delayed to get patches in that would be representative of what gamers would play. They have done this before.

I strongly doubt if they had just said that amidst the noise, there wouldn't have been such an outcry toward them.

on topic, I hope all devs do this, DRS with a 4k target, that upsamples from whatever lower bound is needed to hit framerates and an uncapped option for gfx modes. should make next-gen support much easier and not patch dependent.

John said multiple times that DF would be analyzing the game, but just that he specifically wouldn't be doing it.

Not that it matters anyway, If they don't want to do it, then that's their fucking decision.

Last edited:

Fredrik

But the XSX and PS5 CPUs are nearly identical.

The game is definitely CPU bound on PC, but it still doesnt explain why the PS5 would be performing so much better.
Isn’t the CPU in XSX faster?
Either way I’m so 🤬 tired of badly optimized games at this point. And while patching stuff is great it usually means I’ve already finished the game once it’s in a good state. Maybe I should just stop playing games day 1 and wait for late Steam sales or Gamepass/PS+ releases instead.

solidus12

Either way I’m so 🤬 tired of badly optimized games at this point. And while patching stuff is great it usually means I’ve already finished the game once it’s in a good state. Maybe I should just stop playing games day 1 and wait for late Steam sales or Gamepass/PS+ releases instead.
Apparently, the Series S has a faster CPU as well:

Mr.Phoenix

John said multiple times that DF would be analyzing the game, but just that he specifically wouldn't be doing it.

Not that it matters anyway, If they don't want to do it, then that's their fucking decision.
agreed. Its their choice if they want to or not want to review a game. Asit is the choice of whoever has an issue with them if the reasons they give arent things they agree with. liberties you know, go both ways.

This is the first I am hearing of John saying they would cover the game, what I heard on here was very different. And I am not saying this because I attacked them too, i didn't.

SlimySnake

3.6 Ghz vs 3.5 Ghz. nearly identical.

The game is indeed CPU bound on PC but there is more to it than that. Clearly the PS5 version doesnt have any cpu bottlenecks so its likely poorly optimized on directx.

Lysandros

One thing to note.

Richard wonders if XBSX performance may be because of the CPU as the PC version is heavy on the CPU and speculates it may be CPU limited.

This rules out any Teraflops arguments.
Getting tired of these TF and Sony prioritizing nonsense.
Comment section is also full of "Sony paying developers" silliness. Sure it's annoying but people just can't see past Microsoft's retracted PR even after 2.5 years apparently. If the generation ends in an essential draw in multiplats front (seems likely) legends on how the clearly more powerful misunderstood XSX was botched by hateful and corrupt developers will never end.

Comment section is also full of "Sony paying developers" silliness. Sure it's annoying but people just can't see past Microsoft's retracted PR even after 2.5 years apparently. If the generation ends in an essential draw in multiplats front (seems likely) legends on how the clearly more powerful misunderstood XSX was botched by hateful and corrupt developers will never end.
the funny thing is that PlayStation is using this argument of parity with the Activision deal regarding CoD, implying this practice is real.

Mr.Phoenix

I hate to break it to you, but looking at the hardware and just going, the CPU is clocked higher and the GPU is x TFs vs y TFs... is a recipe for disaster.

There are a lot of other things to consider, and there will be certain areas or types of games that will suit one platform over the other. For all you know, the PS5 having twice the SSD speed, and a truly unified memory architecture, or even there just being ONE PS5 build to make vs two XSX builds can simply mean that building for it is easier. Or that it allows for easier and more predictable memory management in the engine.

I do agree with you about the weird games or state games are released these days though. Which is why I hardly ever buy anything day 1.

Top Bottom