• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]MASS EFFECT Legendary Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

Komatsu

That’s just a result from BC on better hardware. That’s not an X|S optimization as far as I’m concerned, it needs specific improvements for X|S in the code to go under that label imo.

You can't play at 120FPS on the lastgen consoles. 1440p120 is an specific mode only available on the Series X, which obviously required adjustments to frame-pacing, etc. In other words, the "code" was touched. So, yes, it absolutely falls under the label "Optimized".

Pull n Pray

Banned
Yeah but according to VGtech the series drop the res a little.
Only in performance mode. Which is to be expected since Xbox version is 120 fps. He makes no distinction between the two in quality mode. DF found the rare drops from full 4K in quality mode were more common on PS5 than Series X.

Fredrik

question for you lot, i’ve never played the mass effect series should i play the originals first or jump straight into this?
I love the originals but I’m not replaying them now that this is out. I just don’t know if I should get the XSX or PC version.
You can't play at 120FPS on the lastgen consoles. 1440p120 is an specific mode only available on the Series X, which obviously required adjustments to frame-pacing, etc. In other words, the "code" was touched. So, yes, it absolutely falls under the label "Optimized".
Yeah I got it explained after that post, I thought 120fps was possible because of fps boost, didn’t know it had a XSX patch.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
question for you lot, i’ve never played the mass effect series should i play the originals first or jump straight into this?
I can't think of any good reason to play the original versions of the game. I guess maybe if you were on PC, the originals would have better mod support for a while. But if you are on Xbox, definitely buy the Legendary Edition. Better graphics/framerate and it comes with all the DLC at no extra cost. On PlayStation, I don't think you can play the original games on PS4.

graywolf323

It's optimized as far as Microsoft is concerned. It's pointless to argue over this, really.

"Games featuring the Optimized for Xbox Series X|S icon will showcase unparalleled load-times, heightened visuals, and steadier framerates at up to 120FPS. These include new titles built natively using the Xbox Series X|S development environment as well as previously released titles that have been rebuilt specifically for Xbox Series X|S."

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Mass Effect falls under that category of "previously released titles" (back compat) taking advantage of the hardware of X|S.
maybe it's just my OCD but I'd prefer to have my enhanced BC tagged separately from native next gen games

it'd be nice if PS5 had an option to see which games had enhanced BC as well + see what games had PS4 Pro patches, at least Xbox sorta has the former & I'm glad they brought back the Xbox One X Enhanced games filter on the Series X (it was missing at launch)

scydrex

Only DF comparison videos count, anything they omit is irrelevant, that why they didn't talk about it in the first place.

I like you, you seem like a reasonable guy.

From the article ¨Dynamic resolution scaling is included too. Native 4K does seem to be the norm in most test samples on PS5 and Series X, but a 1944p pixel count did manifest in one area of our testing. Owing to the nature of DRS, further drops cannot be ruled out.¨

Mass Effect Legendary Edition: PS5, Xbox Series X and Series S tested

Of course Xbox at the end is have better BC than the PS5. MS approach is better and easier. Hopefully they will release a patch for PS5 to see if it improve the performance. I will play this someday when is free for plus or cheaper.

MonarchJT

Banned
Cerny and Sony don't need to put more than "real poor work around BC" because their 1st/2nd party dev teams are delivering actual new-gen games, which is what most PS5 owners bought the console for.

I don't recall actual console gamers ever being this fixated on playing older-gen games at higher resolutions and framerates. In most consoles, they're lucky if the older-gen games even play at all, and that never stopped a console from being successful.

It's almost like the PS4 - which utterly disregarded PS3 BC - didn't outsell the Xbox One by 2.25x.

Mass effect is one of the most acclaimed games of recent years. Just like the remake of a very old ..old .game ..you know DS on PS5. having the ability to play older games with better perf/graphics given by newer hardware is a great opportunity for old and new players who haven't played the game when it came out

Yours just seems a new excuse for the poor work from Sony and Cerny about BC?...okay......now just pls let the adults talk

Last edited:

Banned
how do we know this person didn’t pause the PS5 video when it went black? There isn’t anything moving in the vid to show continuous play. Just saying...

we know because others have tested it and came back with the same results. it's also very much typical for the SX to load way faster on BC games
in NieR Replicant for example it's up to 4x faster.

fun fact, a PS4 Pro with an SSD will also often load faster than the same game running on PS5. seems like Sony throttled the speed at which PS4 games can load for some reason. but noone knows why

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
Rip in Peace
Paul Bearer Dance GIF by Jason Clarke

Last edited:

Renozokii

Mass effect is one of the most acclaimed games of recent years. Just like the remake of a very old ..old .game ..you know DS on PS5. having the ability to play older games with better perf/graphics given by newer hardware is a great opportunity for old and new players who haven't played the game when it came out

Yours just seems a new excuse for the poor work from Sony and Cerny about BC?...okay......now just pls let the adults talk
Or maybe ea, releasing this collection months into a new gen, should have created a native next gen version that makes actual use of the ps5 controller and full use of the ssd found in both consoles.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The reduced load times are the best thing about this release for me. Straight up. Don't downplay it. This game is full of loading screens and having them reduced to nil is excellent.

I wouldn't play these games again if not for the complete package - improved frame rate, graphics, etc - but the lack of load times steals the show.

Neo_game

rtx 3060 1440p
ehPmIjO.jpg

Xbox Series X 1440p

T6b3OmS.jpg

qGgUeaJ.png

rx 5700 ( 8 TFLOPS RDNA 1 ) run at 4K 60

Yes, I have seen these benchmark. The engine looks and performs great. These console should be able to outperform RX5700. But in Hintman3 SX is barely able to match it and PS5 performance was even worse.

RE8 , Outriders. Of course not everything can be as demanding as Tony hawk remastered😂😂. Sony fans are even using a.....Sony game as an example. Again NEW games will be in favour of the XSX. People can hang on older XSX games being ported on the ps5, like call of the sea, or still remember the launch games but every new game from big publishers like Capcom, EA, Ubisoft e.t.c will be better (with a small or big difference) on the XSX. I wrote this after outriders specifically mentioning the, not yet released then RE8, and I am doubling down on that. Every new big 3rd party game will be better on the XSX.

Those game you mentioned are barely able to make some 10-12% differences and that too is not constant. It happens only in certain scenario or cutscene and what not. 99% of time they both are doing the same shit and I do not think it is going to change in future as well. If there was any substantial difference we should be seeing Hitman3 difference in other games as well. Though Microsoft obviously has advantage in BC.

Kagey K

Banned
Or maybe ea, releasing this collection months into a new gen, should have created a native next gen version that makes actual use of the ps5 controller and full use of the ssd found in both consoles.
So they should have created a whole other version for 7 mil ppl, instead of catering to the 140 mil?

EA probably glad you aren't in charge of the budget.

Instead of being so mad at EA why not ask Sony why they didn't do better?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Did you? You tried spreading fud like usual by your drive by shit post. That frame drop you stated was from a cutscene. Try harder next time.....
and ? now those doesn't count anymore? stop embarasing yourself ...theres one platform where this game run better and not just for those drops...and you known is the Xbox ..accept it take the L and go ahead

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Did you? You tried spreading fud like usual by your drive by shit post. That frame drop you stated was from a cutscene. Try harder next time.....
Cuisine, gameplay, rare drop none of those words mean much in the War.

Just look at the Hitman thread. For evidence

John Wick

Mass Effect came out 14 years ago so it is recent years. The game you call old old came out at a similar time. You do have the ability to play the game with better performance/graphics on PS5. Do you like stating stupidly obvious things?
BC isn't a major priority for Sony. That's why PS has new next gen games to play or releasing very soon. While MS is still showing CGI and making promises.

John Wick

and ? now those doesn't count anymore? stop embarasing yourself ...theres one platform where this game run better and not just for those drops...and you known is the Xbox ..accept it take the L and go ahead
And? Do you play cutscenes? Congrats if you do!
Accept what? I already know SX handles BC games far better than PS5. With it being far easier to patch games. Duh

MonarchJT

Banned
Mass Effect came out 14 years ago so it is recent years. The game you call old old came out at a similar time. You do have the ability to play the game with better performance/graphics on PS5. Do you like stating stupidly obvious things?
BC isn't a major priority for Sony. That's why PS has new next gen games to play or releasing very soon. While MS is still showing CGI and making promises.
again this seem an excuse ..Which mirror will you try to climb when next gen games start coming out on Xbox too? BC is not a priority for Sony ... it is for users. In fact you are here in a related thread of an old game trying to defend the poor performances for a next gen console that has the Sony ps5.
Let's stop it here

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen these benchmark. The engine looks and performs great. These console should be able to outperform RX5700. But in Hintman3 SX is barely able to match it and PS5 performance was even worse.

Next gen consoles are running BC games using the GPU's CGN mode, not native RDNA(2) mode, thus lacking not only new features but some architectural improvements as well.

Daymos

It's a port of a 10 year old game. If you want to rant about something, join together and complain about this game not being Mass Effect 4!

There's better things to play than mass effect again. So many people are going to buy this for $60 and never get more than 1/2 way through Mass effect 1.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a port of a 10 year old game. If you want to rant about something, join together and complain about this game not being Mass Effect 4!

There's better things to play than mass effect again. So many people are going to buy this for $60 and never get more than 1/2 way through Mass effect 1.
I played ME 1 and 2. Barely touched 3. I'm just going to wait for it to be on Game Pass late this year or early next year. Depending on the game, games hit EA Play in the 6-12 month range.

Last edited:

BigLee74

You’re not wrong. I loved the trilogy, but they are big-arsed conversation-heavy games, and I’m not sure if they would hold my attention a second time, especially 3 games in a row.

I might bite at sale prices, or hold off altogether and hope for it being added to Gamepass.

Late to the party and all but uhh...

giphy.gif

I don't recall actual console gamers ever being this fixated on playing older-gen games at higher resolutions and framerates. In most consoles, they're lucky if the older-gen games even play at all, and that never stopped a console from being successful.
PS2's and PS3's HUGE selling points at the start of their system life was Backward Compatibility. I specifically remember people/magazines/websites talking constantly about playing MGS on PS2 with it's upscaling option. It's the reason I still have 2 FAT ass PS3's in my closet in case I'm feeling nostalgic for PS2 OR PS1 games. I'd wager that you are mostly right in saying that most people probably want to get a new system for new games, but you are massively underselling the importance of BC. Hell, as primarily a PC gamer, I LOVE getting new hardware and running OLD ass games to see how much a performance increase there is. Not sure why so many console fanboys like to discredit previous generations of software simply because their console of choice can't/won't play the software for arbitrary reasons. I think it's dumb to completely write of 1000's of games across previous generations, considering how some of the biggest franchises ever pretty much ALL started on previous generations hardware. ME is proof positive to that sentiment.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah, I adore backwards compatibility, and Microsoft knocked it out of the park this gen. Having access to most of my favorite games, with instant improved frame rates, auto hdr, and upscaling is a dream come true, when it comes to videogames. I've never related to those who are only interested in brand new games. I get it to an extent, but as someone who is "hardcore" enough to post on GAF, I'm always going to be playing games from all different generations. And gaming isn't even my main hobby.

assurdum

Banned
Late to the party and all but uhh...

giphy.gif

PS2's and PS3's HUGE selling points at the start of their system life was Backward Compatibility. I specifically remember people/magazines/websites talking constantly about playing MGS on PS2 with it's upscaling option. It's the reason I still have 2 FAT ass PS3's in my closet in case I'm feeling nostalgic for PS2 OR PS1 games. I'd wager that you are mostly right in saying that most people probably want to get a new system for new games, but you are massively underselling the importance of BC. Hell, as primarily a PC gamer, I LOVE getting new hardware and running OLD ass games to see how much a performance increase there is. Not sure why so many console fanboys like to discredit previous generations of software simply because their console of choice can't/won't play the software for arbitrary reasons. I think it's dumb to completely write of 1000's of games across previous generations, considering how some of the biggest franchises ever pretty much ALL started on previous generations hardware. ME is proof positive to that sentiment.
Come on now. BC on ps2 and ps3 wasn't nothing to different to the ps5 one. ps3 BC was even worse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, I adore backwards compatibility, and Microsoft knocked it out of the park this gen. Having access to most of my favorite games, with instant improved frame rates, auto hdr, and upscaling is a dream come true, when it comes to videogames. I've never related to those who are only interested in brand new games. I get it to an extent, but as someone who is "hardcore" enough to post on GAF, I'm always going to be playing games from all different generations. And gaming isn't even my main hobby.
The people who brag about buying the newest games feel special because they are proving to the world they are smart and have tons of money in their wallet they preorder games at full price 3 years before the game even comes out.

While playing old games is considered poor boy gaming.

As someone new to Steam and GOG buying some dirt cheap $3 games on 75% off deals, I've had a great time playing stuff never released on consoles.

And continuing where I left off with Skyrim at 4k/60 with mods and fast loading times on Series X is fantastic. Its like a new game.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I see that BC is super important to you. And lots of other people of course. It's just not on an amount that is all that relevant.

The Switch doesn't support any kind of BC and it's one of the best selling handhelds of all time. The PS3 only supported it in its first couple of models (by cramming an entire PS2 inside to do so) but that feature was thrown away less than a year after they launched the console. The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by >2x and doesn't support BC of any kind.

BC is super important for Microsoft at the moment because they have no relevant 1st-party games to talk about, other than Medium. They need marketing wins and this is how they get those.
If the internal roadmaps of Xbox Games Studios were showing a new-gen Gears of War + new-gen Halo + new-gen Age of Empires + new-gen Minecraft for the first 9 months of the Series consoles, then they probably wouldn't be pouring so many resources on optimizing BC. Also because BC can negatively impact the sales for new games that obviously bring more revenue.

The "console fanboy" name-calling is a bit disingenuous. I've been a PC gamer for >90% of the time I've played videogames. I too have played older games after upgrading to brand new hardware to see how fast they can go.
My comment has nothing to do with whether or not I want BC in my gaming hardware. It refers to the tens/hundreds of millions of console sales that are publicly available, and those numbers don't care about how important BC is for you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I see that BC is super important to you. And lots of other people of course. It's just not on an amount that is all that relevant.

The Switch doesn't support any kind of BC and it's one of the best selling handhelds of all time. The PS3 only supported it in its first couple of models (by cramming an entire PS2 inside to do so) but that feature was thrown away less than a year after they launched the console. The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by >2x and doesn't support BC of any kind.

BC is super important for Microsoft at the moment because they have no relevant 1st-party games to talk about, other than Medium. They need marketing wins and this is how they get those.
If the internal roadmaps of Xbox Games Studios were showing a new-gen Gears of War + new-gen Halo + new-gen Age of Empires + new-gen Minecraft for the first 9 months of the Series consoles, then they probably wouldn't be pouring so many resources on optimizing BC. Also because BC can negatively impact the sales for new games that obviously bring more revenue.

The "console fanboy" name-calling is a bit disingenuous. I've been a PC gamer for >90% of the time I've played videogames. I too have played older games after upgrading to brand new hardware to see how fast they can go.
My comment has nothing to do with whether or not I want BC in my gaming hardware. It refers to the tens/hundreds of millions of console sales that are publicly available, and those numbers don't care about how important BC is for you.
And PS2 is the best selling console ever with the most dominating market share in console history and it had PS1 BC.

As for BC now, it's important for both PS5 and S/X, since there's hardly any next gen only games out there. I think PS5 is at 8 million and S/X around 5 million.

If you really think PS5 gamers are spending all their time and money playing Spiderman, DS and Godfall for the first half year, youre crazy.

I bet the average PS5 gamer since launch has played just as much (if not more) time playing BC games. Even if it means playing in BC mode more matches of PS4 FIFA and COD.

John Wick

again this seem an excuse ..Which mirror will you try to climb when next gen games start coming out on Xbox too? BC is not a priority for Sony ... it is for users. In fact you are here in a related thread of an old game trying to defend the poor performances for a next gen console that has the Sony ps5.
Let's stop it here
An excuse for what? You keep on going on about next gen games arriving eventually. But that doesn't do anything for the present time does it?
BC isn't a priority for all users only some get your facts right. PS5 has BC with PS4.
Defend what poor performance? EA are the ones doing the remaster so it's down to them to do it properly.
Your right you do need to stop spreading your shit posts and hottakes though?!

Renozokii

So they should have created a whole other version for 7 mil ppl, instead of catering to the 140 mil?

EA probably glad you aren't in charge of the budget.

Instead of being so mad at EA why not ask Sony why they didn't do better?
Bud we’ve seen massive sales splits flavoring the new consoles, specifically the ps5 already. Those, 8 million by now btw, ps5 owners are itching for new games to play on their system. Dual sense features and a ps5 logo on the game instantly bumps sales up. Sales of new games on old consoles is always exaggerated so greatly.

And why is it one or the other? How much does a native ps5 ports possibly cost? Some adaptive trigger features and foot steps being slightly felt though out the controller is hard and complex? Why was remedy able to do it with control, a game that sold significantly less copies than mass effect has, and by a studio that has far less resources than ea/BioWare? Why is ea doing a native next gen port of Jedi fallen order when the game already got a bc patch? The metro devs, known for being tiny and working in shit conditions, are magically able to make a next gen native port of exodus that blows most “next gen games” out of the water visually because it’s a waste of resources? What a dog shit take. A massive company like ea released a collection of a massive ip months into a new gen and offered those new gen consoles no native port. That’s laziness and greed. What major game or remake released after the new consoles hasn’t been given a native ps5 port? This is the only one I can think of.

>Instead of being so mad at EA why not ask Sony why they didn't do better?

Because Sony isn’t in desperation mode like Microsoft trying to beef up their library and feature set by any means necessary. They know, like anyone else with common sense, that as the COVID delays finally wear out and real ps5 and series x games come out in bigger quantities the demand and usage of bc will dry up. So much emphasis from MS on bc but for some reason they never share how many of their users are actively engaging in the new features. I didn’t pay 500 dollars for a console to play games developed for outdated on launch hardware at better frame rates. Anyone implying they did is a liar.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
And PS2 is the best selling console ever with the most dominating market share in console history and it had PS1 BC.
And before the PS2 the best seller was the PS1 that obviously had no BC.
And before the PS1 it was the Super Nintendo, which also didn't support BC to NES.

For both Sony and Nintendo, they made BC available when the hardware made it convenient. The PS2 used the PS1 CPU for I/O. The Wii was basically an overclocked Gamecube with pretty much the same hardware. The PS5 is using the same IHV supplier for both GPU and CPU so there was a guarantee of ISA compatibility. The NDS uses the exact same ARM7 that is present on the Gameboy Advance as a coprocessor. The 3DS uses the exact same ARM9 that is present on the DS as a coprocessor.

The only console maker who only ever put a lot of effort into BC through emulation (X360), re-compilation (XBOne) and virtual machines (Series) is Microsoft.
And Microsoft "won" zero console generations so far. Elaborate BC hasn't been making any miracles for them, and probably never will.

BC is only relevant for the first year of the console's life because that's when the new-gen games are still scarce. But the first year of a console's lifecycle is also the least relevant in terms of software sales because the userbase is tiny.
BC makes little difference in the total profits gained through a generation of consoles, and that's what ultimately matters for all console makers.

If you really think PS5 gamers are spending all their time and money playing Spiderman, DS and Godfall for the first half year, youre crazy.
I really think most PS5 gamers are engaging in new-gen games because they can and Series gamers are not because they can't. And you're probably overestimating the amount of hours most console owners have in their hands.

Riky

$MSFT
PS4 Pro > One X.
Real good job they did with this game *cough*

I watched this earlier, none of the performance modes are very good really, like they say the best way to play on last gen is One X on resolution mode, Pro crumbles when the resolution goes to 4k.

Mr Moose

I watched this earlier, none of the performance modes are very good really, like they say the best way to play on last gen is One X on resolution mode, Pro crumbles when the resolution goes to 4k.
Yeah I'd take the res boost and non-tearing over the other mode, but it just shows how much time was spent optimising for all of the consoles (in other words, not very much it seems, Pro should not run better than One X @ 60fps/1440p).
Tried to play some Subnautica (PS5 version) recently, screen tearing is horrendous in the first few minutes with the fire, turned that shit off real quick.

Top Bottom