• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]MASS EFFECT Legendary Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

Fredrik

so I noticed with this game and there are a few others but what's with Xbox labeling BC games as Series S/X when they aren't? feels like MS is playing fast & loose with "Optimized for Xbox Series X|S games" when it's applied to BC games that don't have a native Series S/X release
Yeah I noticed that as well. Is it the fps boost mode or load times?

Dodkrake

Banned
so I noticed with this game and there are a few others but what's with Xbox labeling BC games as Series S/X when they aren't? feels like MS is playing fast & loose with "Optimized for Xbox Series X|S games" when it's applied to BC games that don't have a native Series S/X release

it won't be a few months, EA Play does not get games usually until about a year after release (except for sports titles which are usually ~8 months)

#ConsumerFriendly #NotMisleading #ConsumerFirst

Chukhopops

it won't be a few months, EA Play does not get games usually until about a year after release (except for sports titles which are usually ~8 months)
How is the game not « optimized for Series S/X » when it runs at a higher resolution and/or frame rate than XB1/1X? That’s the exact definition of an optimisation.

As for EA Play addition, there is no rule. C&C remastered was added six months after launch for example.

Dodkrake

Banned
The game doesn’t say optimized for Series X|S.

Are you sure?

OUQRYva.png

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Xbox Series X and PS5 both native 4k/60FPS in quality mode, Series X holds the frame rate more steadily than PS5 in “quality” mode but drops are fairly slight for the most part 55-60FPS for the vast majority of the time.

K' Dash

How is the game not « optimized for Series S/X » when it runs at a higher resolution and/or frame rate than XB1/1X? That’s the exact definition of an optimisation.

As for EA Play addition, there is no rule. C&C remastered was added six months after launch for example.

I guess that as a Sony fanboy, getting stomped repetitively by the competition makes you go and look at banners and fine prints to get that cathartic "gotcha!"

dudes should just get an Xbox with game pass, stop buying $70 indie games that delete your save file, besides getting subpar performance on third party games.

anyway... back to the superior version of RE Village.

Last edited:
EDIT: headache made me "go full retard" and confuse the number of CUs. In BC mode the PS5 uses all the CPU but in GCN Mode.

Last edited:

scydrex

Xbox Series X and PS5 both native 4k/60FPS in quality mode, Series X holds the frame rate more steadily than PS5 in “quality” mode but drops are fairly slight for the most part 55-60FPS for the vast majority of the time.

Yeah but according to VGtech the series drop the res a little.

Fredrik

That’s just a result from BC on better hardware. That’s not an X|S optimization as far as I’m concerned, it needs specific improvements for X|S in the code to go under that label imo. Xbox One S had 3fps higher framerate over Xbox One back in the days, didn’t mean games were One S optimized.

elliot5

devs made shitty job , yup blame hardware for that lol . because this place is full of geniuses
Bioware actually did a pretty great job consider it's running a modified Unreal Engine 3 to work and take advantage (to some degree) of the new hardware. They didn't do a shitty job just bc of Sony's limitations in the OS and even then those drops are rare. The overreaction or blaming of Bioware is ridiculous, cmon.

elliot5

That’s just a result from BC on better hardware. That’s not an X|S optimization as far as I’m concerned, it needs specific improvements for X|S in the code to go under that label imo. Xbox One S had 3fps higher framerate over Xbox One back in the days, didn’t mean games were One S optimized.
It's optimized as far as Microsoft is concerned. It's pointless to argue over this, really.

"Games featuring the Optimized for Xbox Series X|S icon will showcase unparalleled load-times, heightened visuals, and steadier framerates at up to 120FPS. These include new titles built natively using the Xbox Series X|S development environment as well as previously released titles that have been rebuilt specifically for Xbox Series X|S."

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Mass Effect falls under that category of "previously released titles" (back compat) taking advantage of the hardware of X|S.

Alebrije

Console wars on retro games is nuts. Its interesting to see how and old game improves on new hardware but once the big new games come nobody will care about retro stuff.

Fredrik

It's optimized as far as Microsoft is concerned. It's pointless to argue over this, really.

"Games featuring the Optimized for Xbox Series X|S icon will showcase unparalleled load-times, heightened visuals, and steadier framerates at up to 120FPS. These include new titles built natively using the Xbox Series X|S development environment as well as previously released titles that have been rebuilt specifically for Xbox Series X|S."

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Mass Effect falls under that category of "previously released titles" (back compat) taking advantage of the hardware of X|S.
Then all games playable through BC is X|S enhanced 🤨

Chukhopops

If a game is not optimised for Series, it runs at the same resolution or locked frame rate as the One / One X version. If it runs at a higher resolution or frame rate then it has been optimized for Series, that’s how it’s been branded since the first patches. I don’t see anything confusing here.

Chukhopops

Console wars on retro games is nuts. Its interesting to see how and old game improves on new hardware but once the big new games come nobody will care about retro stuff.
A remaster released two days ago is now a RETRO GAME. Words have lost any meaning they had left.

Fredrik

If a game is not optimised for Series, it runs at the same resolution or locked frame rate as the One / One X version. If it runs at a higher resolution or frame rate then it has been optimized for Series, that’s how it’s been branded since the first patches. I don’t see anything confusing here.
It’s using dynamic res, that’s the reason it’s higher resolution than One X in resolution mode. I’m not sure about the framerate though. Maybe that’s a valid loophole. Is it 30fps on Xbox One X in resolution mode?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
To those saying this comparison is “pointless”, is it not possible that some people are legitimately interested in learning which version runs best and what the differences are?

Or is “console war dick measuring contest” the one and only purpose of comparing a game on multiple platforms?

elliot5

Then all games playable through BC is X|S enhanced 🤨
The game code for ME:LE still takes into consideration Xbox Series X and S platforms, which is why XSX allows 120 fps. It may be back compat, but the game code is still "aware" of next gen in the package (hence the "gen9aware" in the app packages rather than "gen9" for native). That differentiates it from other BC titles, and makes it "X|S enhanced" qualified. Not just because it loads faster from SSD brute forcing or how xbox allows 'full power' in BC.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
so strange. why would it load so much longer on ps5 ?
To be fair its not that bad. Especially how long we had to wait last gen. Its just that we all play silly buggers in these threads.
At least I would like to think we are (including me at times) are not as pathetic in real life as we are on here.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The game code for ME:LE still takes into consideration Xbox Series X and S platforms, which is why XSX allows 120 fps. It may be back compat, but the game code is still "aware" of next gen in the package (hence the "gen9aware" in the app packages rather than "gen9" for native). That differentiates it from other BC titles, and makes it "X|S enhanced" qualified. Not just because it loads faster from SSD brute forcing or how xbox allows 'full power' in BC.
Isn’t it running at 120fps because of FPS boost? The magic there is that the code has no clue it’s actually running the game in 120fps, it still think it’s 60fps.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those interested

Nice win for Xbox. PS5 did win two of the comparisons. One by about a second and the first part where it won by a fraction of a second.

Xbox won by much bigger margins. Anywhere from 1 second to 10 seconds depending on which part he tested.

Mr Moose

Isn’t it running at 120fps because of FPS boost? The magic there is that the code has no clue it’s actually running the game in 120fps, it still think it’s 60fps.
That's a separate thing, I believe.
This is more like the patch CoD MW received to get 120Hz mode.

Fredrik

No it's not FPS boost. It's the same as Squadrons where it has a 120fps mode without having to enable FPS boost.
Okay my bad then. Weird though, why haven’t they patched it for PS?

Edit: And in that case I guess X|S optimized is fair.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Fredrik

Yeah, it's a plus point of software BC.
It's a bit weird since PS4 supports 120fps with VR games, but apparently you need a native app for PS5 120Hz.
Huh, didn’t know this. So when Ghost of Tsushima for example runs at 60fps on PS5 it’s because they’ve patched it to run natively on PS5 hardware instead of using the PS4 bc?
Edit: forget that, sorry, it’s 120fps only, trying to understand this lol

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

question for you lot, i’ve never played the mass effect series should i play the originals first or jump straight into this?

SirTerry-T

"Console wars on retro games is nuts. Its interesting to see how and old game improves on new hardware but once the big new games come nobody will care about retro stuff."

Last edited:

skakmk

This is one instance where I feel PS people have to let go and waive a white flag.

That ME3 cutscene dip broke me.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned

Really? Didn't know that. The only ones I've paid attention to since EA Play came to Game Pass are Madden and Star Wars Squadrons. And they both came to the service in less than 6 months I think.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
question for you lot, i’ve never played the mass effect series should i play the originals first or jump straight into this?
Not sure what you mean. This trilogy pack is the same as the old games except the graphics have been tidied up, includes tons of DLC and they said they adjusted some quirky gameplay from 10 years ago like the moon buggy handling.

Skip the originals and get this pack.

Of course it's more a $$$ commitment as you could probably find those old ass versions for only $10. If you got EA Play, the old versions are available.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Really? Didn't know that. The only ones I've paid attention to since EA Play came to Game Pass are Madden and Star Wars Squadrons. And they both came to the service in less than 6 months I think.
Basically all EA games come to EA Play in the 6-12 month range. Sports are 12 months apart. Star Wars BF games are 12 months. I think BF games are a year too. Other kinds of games will vary a lot. I think Unraveled and ME Andromeda were only about 6 months after launch.

SkylineRKR

would've bought S version if it had 1440p 120hz probably. I could get it for PS5, but its a PS4 game. So nothing spectacular.

Last edited:
Man that screeching noise can be heard three threads away. Stop moving those damn goal posts. You'll survive and maybe that old fish will make you a nice list so you all can cope.

Top Bottom