• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]MASS EFFECT Legendary Edition PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X

Ozzie666

I picked it up digitally on the Series X, it felt wrong to play Mass effect on anything else. Even though I am a Playstation first guy usually. I have to ask, how are the load times on PS5?.

I have no complaints with the Series X version, just curious if there is a difference in load times. The game is plenty smooth enough.

I picked it up digitally on the Series X, it felt wrong to play Mass effect on anything else. Even though I am a Playstation first guy usually. I have to ask, how are the load times on PS5?.

I have no complaints with the Series X version, just curious if there is a difference in load times. The game is plenty smooth enough.
DF didn't mention load times, so they must be very similar.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Lol. I’ll never get over how stupid these kind of statements will be.
Why is it stupid? It's a clear benefit of having Game Pass. Especially for a game like this. I already own all three and would rather not pay $60 for a graphics and performance upgrade. But it will be nice to play through it again one more time for free in a few months.

Pull n Pray

Banned
The trilogy should've gotten proper next-gen releases which wouldn't rely on BC. But I guess they'll want to milk that a year-two years from now when they'll release new remasters.
I'm pretty sure this game was meant to launch before the new consoles and was delayed due to covid.

mansoor1980

Do something for those crazy eyes dude.
imagesCA30KX7I20110725-22047-150y8m0.jpg

That is the only game I think and even that was not a demanding one. It also proves that the tools, devs is what going to make the difference if any because both consoles are evenly matched.
RE8 , Outriders. Of course not everything can be as demanding as Tony hawk remastered😂😂. Sony fans are even using a.....Sony game as an example. Again NEW games will be in favour of the XSX. People can hang on older XSX games being ported on the ps5, like call of the sea, or still remember the launch games but every new game from big publishers like Capcom, EA, Ubisoft e.t.c will be better (with a small or big difference) on the XSX. I wrote this after outriders specifically mentioning the, not yet released then RE8, and I am doubling down on that. Every new big 3rd party game will be better on the XSX.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
i think because is exactly acting like if it was the ps4pro I bet if someone goes to check they will see drops in that console as well.

Yup, I would imagine its a similar bottleneck on the PS4 version similar to what we saw on the need for speed comparison on the xbox, where there was a drop on a specific corner.

Skifi28

Gold Member
PS4 Pro version runs at 4k/30. The PS5 version runs at 4K/60. Obviously the PS5 isn't running at PS4 Pro clockspeeds.
A ps5 at PS4 pro or even base PS4 clocks is still much more powerful. Downclocking an RDNA2 gpu doesn't make it a GCN gpu. We have no idea what mode a game runs at, all we can see it the end result.

Allandor

It effectively has 4 modes

Native mode = PS5 clockspeeds and further features
Boost mode = PS5 clockspeeds BC
PS4 Pro mode = PS4 Pro clockspeeds BC
PS4 mode = Base PS4 clockspeeds BC

He doesn’t specify wether this is running in Boosted mode or PS4 Pro mode. It should do better in Boosted mode, but it also seems strange that it would downclock. It doesn’t make any sense that the res and fps would drop this much running in Boost mode. These graphs would make more sense if it was running in PS4 Pro mode.

Edit: Actually they don’t make much sense for PS4 Pro mode either, scratch that. It doesn’t make sense in any mode.
Someone mentioned it in beyond3d and I totally forgot, no BC game released after July 2020 should use a Non-boosted mode
New PS4 games must also run on PlayStation 5 from July, Sony tells devs • Eurogamer.net
So we can totally exclude (non-boosted) PS4 Pro mode and PS4 mode ;)

So I guess, the last thing that it might explain -> Software issue. ... or something bandwidth related, but on the other hand sereis s handles the same quite well (but at lower res).

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
A ps5 at PS4 pro or even base PS4 clocks is still much more powerful. Downclocking an RDNA2 gpu doesn't make it a GCN gpu. We have no idea what mode a game runs at, all we can see it the end result.
No way it runs the game at 4K/60 at PS4 Pro speeds.

scydrex

This is a BC game of course it have to run better on Xbox it's been proven is better in BC. No surprise here. I think the PS5 version sucks. Even the size on Xbox is smaller 88gb? Don't remember and the PS 101gb? Ok the Xbox runs better because of the BC but the size too? It should be equal at least or little difference.

Mr Moose

PS4 Pro version runs at 4k/30. The PS5 version runs at 4K/60. Obviously the PS5 isn't running at PS4 Pro clockspeeds.
I thought that it does, it just has a much better APU so even at the same clocks it can go above? And it being a BC aware game it has the cap set to 60.

Andodalf

Banned
It states PS5 version was tested, however, my version states PS4, even though I own a PS5. What gives?

In the video they very clearly state that it is the PS4 version that’s next gen aware, multiple times, even going so far as to show the app icon and point out that it says PS4.

Like, don’t complain about that and not watch the video. They tested the game as it appears on PS5, but we’re very clear that this isn’t a next gen title.

xrnzaaas

I'm pretty sure this game was meant to launch before the new consoles and was delayed due to covid.
I know it was delayed likely due to covid, but EA is a big company and they should have the manpower to prepare proper next-gen versions. A lot of the people will want to play the remastered trilogy on the best hardware possible (that's kind of the point with remasters) and it's a shame when it's not fully utilized because of BC.

skit_data

I actually thought this would be a native Series X/PS5 game. I was thinking about buying it since I never played the originals. I’ll probably wait until it gets an proper next-gen version, because this seems to be a bit of a let down as a PS5 owner.

Dodkrake

Banned
I’m also impressed with the framerate difference in framerate mode, Series X runs at 120 (with some nastiest drops WAY over 60). However on the PS5, you would think that in framerate mode it really is also running 120 with drops, but just forced down to 60 because of the PS5 setup/restrictions/Sony policy, or as someone put it, being “Throttled” but here you see that even in framerate mode it drops below 60, meaning there is no overhead, the ACTUAL framerate is near 60.

oFzBS5N.jpg

Xbox games are easier to "patch". The game is next-gen aware, and was slightly patched to unlock whatever it could, and likely required a slight adjustment to the engine. The PS5 likely required a more in depth review to allow for 120fps. Sony doesn't throttle shit, EA just couldn't be arsed, that's all. Good for Xbox buyers that can play the superior version, but your post is disingenuous.

The problem with DF's analysis is that it's again shady as fuck. They sell this (title) as a comparison between next gen versions of the game, when it's not. That's all.

Well, that is not correct. PS5 seems to have multiple BC-modes. Else we wouldn't get higher res + framerate in some games than PS4 Pro in GPU limited scenes. E.g. this game wouldn't run at 4k60 while running in BC mode. So new games should already use all the GPU & CPU power in BC mode, but not the featureset of PS5.
The PS5's CPU and GPU still have architectural improvements over the PS4 consoles, this is enough to smooth out most framerate drops in old unlocked games (killzone shadow fall, or the performance mode in god of war ps4 pro both ran mostly in the mid 40s to 50 fps, they are virtually locked at 60 in back compat mode).

My guess is Sony still allows the devs to detect the console version from the software in their api, that unlocks the ability to offer limited benefits to ps5 owners without going full ps5. But as far as I know the CU allotments are still the same in these modes of you don't see the ps5 logo you don't have the full power of the machine.

I'll say it again, this is a benefit for the xbox series of console, doing everything in one place for the development of your multi generation games offers serious benefits, and their general approach to backward compatibility is much better than what sony does.

Saiyan-Rox

Just played through the first game, and what puzzles me is that sometimes the frame rate just tanks without any visible/logical explanation. Like when entering the tram in Noveria - there are no enemies, it's a small environment and not that detailed either. Yet panning the camera is really janky.

Yeah just got there myself and that's pretty bad

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pretty sure Sony wants all PS4 games released to be thoroughly tested for play on PS5 as well.
Yes no harm in that.

Just needs to be specified that it is a PS4 executable running in backwards compatibility mode on a PS5 (and same caveats for XSX|S). Unless there is an ulterior motive, I don't see why this wouldn't be explicitly mentioned in the video? (I haven't watched it yet to see, but was just commenting on that other comment, because some people seemed to be confused).

Andodalf

Banned
I actually thought this would be a native Series X/PS5 game. I was thinking about buying it since I never played the originals. I’ll probably wait until it gets an proper next-gen version, because this seems to be a bit of a let down as a PS5 owner.

It almost certainly won’t get another release. Maybe some patches to help perf. EA never really did remasters like other publishers did, and having this release at all is big. This is a terrific version of the games and the best we’ll see if it unless there is a full remake after another 14 years. There’s simply no room for more to be done to these UE3 games short of a ground up remake. PS5 sees a massive improvement over ps4 pro, and that version of the game is really good anyway.

yamaci17

At this point Sony and Msoft should provide a way to monitor current render resolution for those who want to know what resolution they're playing at.

That way these reviews can calculate the average resolution in, say, 2 hours of gameplay.

They only say like "minimum is x res, maximum is y res" and nothing more. It's impossible to make something out of one or two resolution counts.

Before the inevitable "if u care for resolution buy a pc!1" argument, no. We're way past that with all these videos and counts. it happened, it started. You people have started the whole thing to begin with so, you're welcome. i would at least prefer a more surefire way of knowing what resolution a game typically runs instead of res counts here and there!

Last edited:

graywolf323

so I noticed with this game and there are a few others but what's with Xbox labeling BC games as Series S/X when they aren't? feels like MS is playing fast & loose with "Optimized for Xbox Series X|S games" when it's applied to BC games that don't have a native Series S/X release

And if you are a Game Pass subscriber, you can play it for free in a few months.
it won't be a few months, EA Play does not get games usually until about a year after release (except for sports titles which are usually ~8 months)

Fredrik

They’re clearly enjoying the clicks from feeding console war with these nextgen console specific versus videos, it’s a last gen game and they’re leaving out the last gen versions lol
And no PC version shown either as usual.

Skifi28

Gold Member
At this point Sony and Msoft should provide a way to monitor current render resolution for those who want to know what resolution they're playing at.

That way these reviews can calculate the average resolution in, say, 2 hours of gameplay.

They only say like "minimum is x res, maximum is y res" and nothing more. It's impossible to make something out of one or two resolution counts.

Before the inevitable "if u care for resolution buy a pc!1" argument, no. We're way past that with all these videos and counts. it happened, it started. You people have started the whole thing to begin with so, you're welcome. i would at least prefer a more surefire way of knowing what resolution a game typically runs instead of res counts here and there!

AvHLoME.png

Sounds pretty extreme, I doubt they would cater to the 1% that actually cares, I also doubt most of these people even play the darn games after all the fanboy wars are done.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Cerny and Sony did an real poor work around BC ...basically the hw emulation of the PS4 pro is limiting their machine ..and in the future (with more and more powerful machines) if they don't find a solution it will be even worse

Cerny and Sony don't need to put more than "real poor work around BC" because their 1st/2nd party dev teams are delivering actual new-gen games, which is what most PS5 owners bought the console for.

I don't recall actual console gamers ever being this fixated on playing older-gen games at higher resolutions and framerates. In most consoles, they're lucky if the older-gen games even play at all, and that never stopped a console from being successful.

It's almost like the PS4 - which utterly disregarded PS3 BC - didn't outsell the Xbox One by 2.25x.

Top Bottom