• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Outriders Finally Tested! PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S - A Huge Leap Over The Demo

I didn't watch the video, because it's Tom and he isn't all that reliable, is there a breakdown of what he said?

Everything that was wrong with Series X in the Demo has been dramatically improved with flawless 60fps performance with the heaviest effects in the craziest battles and the biggest boss encounters. He tried his best and not a single fps drop, and this is without any downgrades at all from the demo.

Series S is also kicking ass. Some of the best optimization work on the Xbox Series consoles yet perhaps outside of Coalition maybe.

PS5 also is top notch and boasting flawless 60fps performance. There was only a single, brief hitch.

Series X has higher baseline resolution compared to PS5, but it isn't anything crazy.

And, yes, he doesn't appear as technical or as detailed as John or Alex from what I've noticed.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I need new glasses *sulks*
I do too, however my eyes actually improved, after 2 years, since I have to wear glasses. They are too strong to me and it makes me nauseous. But for driving I need a glasses, because otherwise:

depositphotos_126569122-stock-photo-funny-looking-skeptical-man-in.jpg

Also for all the details on my LG CX

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Remember the massive framerate difference screen grab in RE8 and how everyone went up in arms because the footage is not synced?

Where are they now? Texture loaded in one but not the other.
You ran away when VG Tech showed better synced frame-rate graph. You also tried to defend ElAnalistaDeBits' frame-rate analysis and said it wasn't synced when it was in fact a flawed. lol

RobRSG

Funny is how long DF took to review this, and still got it wrong.

Dave Bierton’s level of accuracy.

Last edited:
This is dead on what I would expect the difference to be from the two manufacturers with their similar specs, unnoticeable., not counting next gen I/O which this game doesn’t need.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seems like DF found a higher pixel count for the PS5 and a lower pixel count for the XSX in comparison to the VG Tech.

A lot closer than expected.

So who is correct and which one do we trust, or is it just which ever one favours the console you're playing it on? I prefer that last option if that's possible? :D

Weird, I could've sworn they did Crash 4, but from what I can see it's PS5 v... Switch?

They quickly talked about Crash PS5 vs XSX in a direct. They admitted the PS5 being the best version (even vs PC). Even Alex admitted it (reluctantly, it was so funny). But yes no big news for Crash obviously as they buried the results in the middle of that direct.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

You ran away when VG Tech showed better synced frame-rate graph. You also tried to defend ElAnalistaDeBits' frame-rate analysis and said it wasn't synced when it was in fact a flawed. lol

Ran away? the takeaway here is that ElAnalistaDeBits analysis was correct, DF showed the same disparity and ironically the only crime committed was out of sync footage which DF was not able to match perfectly either. Where are the pitchforks now? Nah, we’ll just move the goal posts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So who is correct and which one do we trust, or is it just which ever one favours the console you're playing it on? I prefer that last option if that's possible? :D
Here are the results from Both Digital Foundry and VG Tech

Outriders - Demo

VG Tech

Xbox Series X - 1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1692p

Digital Foundry
Xbox Series X -1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1800p

Outriders - Final

VG Tech

Xbox Series X - 1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1692p

Digital Foundry

Xbox Series X -1800p
PlayStation 5 - 1728p

The results from VG Tech seem exactly same as the demo. DF pointed out similar numbers in the demo, but showed different results in the final build.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ran away? the takeaway here is that ElAnalistaDeBits analysis was correct, DF showed the same disparity and ironically the only crime committed was out of sync footage which DF was not able to match perfectly either. Where are the pitchforks now? Nah, we’ll just move the goal posts.
People showed you evidence that his tools were flawed. When people pointed this out, you blamed syncing issues after VG Tech video released, even though there VG Tech video didn't show any thing similar to the results found by ElAnalistaDeBits.

You stop responding to people who were pointing this out.

longdi

Banned
Here are the results from Both Digital Foundry and VG Tech

Outriders - Demo

VG Tech

Xbox Series X - 1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1692p

Digital Foundry
Xbox Series X -1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1800p

Outriders - Final

VG Tech

Xbox Series X - 1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1692p

Digital Foundry
Xbox Series X -1800p
PlayStation 5 - 1728p

The results from VG Tech seem exactly same as the demo. DF pointed out similar numbers in the demo, but showed different results in the final build.

Is that down to DSR? Depending on which areas and load they tested. 🙀
SX is still sharper with the more powerful gpu.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You pointed out tools getting better before. They just lowered the resolution to make the fame-rate stable on the XSX. It's very close, this is just funny after people talked about a huge gap in power last year.

I find it funny how people are trying to avoid commenting on the AF/texture quality issue people have screenshotted while claiming victory streaks, GPU superiority, etc…

It becomes even funnier because, despite not wanting to dwell on it, the song and dance in that group pre launch was about massive victories in anything but Sony’s first party games (now parity or small victories are a streak). I am happy with both my systems, but the attitude and shit flinging in the year before launch just went unaddressed and forgotten (nope nobody said any of that, look over there a three headed monkey :p).

… streak indeed…
serious smackdown live GIF by WWE

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Replying again.

Here is your lie.

RTOn.png

SvMembn.jpg

JackMcGunns JackMcGunns This is why that other guy is a banned source.

Look at the graph, it was running 60fps for him as well, and then fluctuated as you can see by the graph.

We already talked about other reasons, such as it NOT being perfectly synchronized footage.

But it happened in the DF foundry video as well, since it's not perfectly synchronized, there will be bits that show a bigger disparity.

For example:

DI2twcj.png

So does this mean DF is biased as well? No, it just means the footage is not perfectly synchronized, that's very hard to do while playing on different platforms.

What you're doing is trying to invalidate the source insinuating that there was foul play, when there's no evidence that there was any, sure they have admitted to committing some errors in the past, but the channel isn't that bad as you're making it out to be, they could learn from their mistakes, NXG started off small as well.

What should be noted however is that the PS5 is seen dipping into the 40s in this scene, whereas XSX maintains itself mostly in the 50s range.

The frame-rate dropped heavily in ElAnalistaDeBits's video and the same drops did not appear in VG Tech's video. You were trying to tell people it was the result of syncing issues when it wasn't.

VG Tech showed it only dropped about 2 times. The lowest for PS5 was 55 and the lowest for the XSX was 56.

ElAnalistaDeBits showed SEVERAL drops in the 40s on both consoles and more on the PlayStation 5.

Want to tell me how he was proven right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SX has stronger texturing capabilities, no way it loses out on something as basic as AF.
One could say “yet it does”. It is still probably an SDK bug or something odd but not the first time in these comparisons I think.

It has more CU’s running at a lower frequency and each CU has its own texturing HW, but it also has higher memory bandwidth to main RAM albeit less bandwidth per CU to the shared Shader Array cache and PS5 goes to great lengths not to waste cache (optimising for memory efficiency goes a long way, the key secret of Apple’s M1 apparently).

Bugs or not bugs losing, parity, or slightly winning… it ain’t no pre launch massive gap or winning streak. PS5 was described as a stop gap, half baked console, not true next gen enough… well.. ;).

Fredrik

One could say “yet it does”. It is still probably an SDK bug or something odd but not the first time in these comparisons I think.

It has more CU’s running at a lower frequency and each CU has its own texturing HW, but it also has higher memory bandwidth to main RAM albeit less bandwidth per CU to the shared Shader Array cache and PS5 goes to great lengths not to waste cache (optimising for memory efficiency goes a long way, the key secret of Apple’s M1 apparently).

Bugs or not bugs losing, parity, or slightly winning… it ain’t no pre launch massive gap or winning streak. PS5 was described as a stop gap, half baked console, not true next gen enough… well.. ;).
My take away is that nobody would know the pixel count or number of frames dropped if they played the games instead of the DF/NX videos. I feel like all these comparisons are doing is feeding console war. It’s great that we get reports on severe framedrops but DF/NX should focus on reporting their finds to the devs instead of reporting graphs and 400% zoom paused screens to gamers that don’t know how game development work and think every difference is about the hardware.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

He's more reliable than you though.
031c110c38fc5de401036eb4d00b10b7.gif

The one that shows their results (VGTech).

Remember the massive framerate difference screen grab in RE8 and how everyone went up in arms because the footage is not synced?

That's because he was proven wrong yet again, has nothing to do with it being synced, there is no tearing in Village and no drops in that section.
He is a banned source for a reason but keep defending him.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

Lol use ElAnalist has reliable source when even lately claimed 4k Biomutant on series X which was 1080p reconstructed. This channel has proved as always to be an Xbox fan channel which mystif whatever it can to give any sort of edge on the MS console . Unfortunately Series X has worse texture filter, that's it. How Tom missed it's out of my mind but it's not new to be quite superficial in his videos and proves it again. It's not texture pop in, you are not new to confuse tech stuff, I remind when you talked about better texture in Avengers on series X when the cause was the shitty CBR used on ps5 who blurried the IQ. There are tons of shots available on the net, if you pay attention even in the same DF video you can spot it just freezing or slowdown the capture, in the right moment.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
My take away is that nobody would know the pixel count or number of frames dropped if they played the games instead of the DF/NX videos.

You don't need to know the exact framerate to notice tearing or judder (unless you have VRR). Same for resolution really - the reason it's so hard to count pixels nowadays is exactly because everything is so blurred, it's much easier to count pixels from actual 4K than upscalled 1440p, but it's the latter that looks like shit.

Also bare in mind that many people, especially on this forum, are multi-platform gamers, they do want to know where to put those 70€. It's only the actual console warriors who see console warrying in those comparisons.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You don't need to know the exact framerate to notice tearing or judder (unless you have VRR). Same for resolution really - the reason it's so hard to count pixels nowadays is exactly because everything is so blurred, it's much easier to count pixels from actual 4K than upscalled 1440p, but it's the latter that looks like shit.

Also bare in mind that many people, especially on this forum, are multi-platform gamers, they do want to know where to put those 70€. It's only the actual console warriors who see console warrying in those comparisons.
I know, I’m a huge gsync fan, I notice stutter very easily. I’m just saying that nobody would now the exact details so the fighting over 59.93 vs 58.57 or whatever wouldn’t happen, at most you’d have some subjective opinions, like ”I’ve seen some stutters!” but others would say ”Well I haven’t I think it’s smooth as butter!” and that’s that.
Console warriors will always find something pointless to fight over so it’s better to not give them more ammo.

This game is an example of why I think everybody should drop the Series X has issues with alpha effects/dynamic res titles etc., talk

He pushes the Series X at every step of the way and not a budge in performance even with all the heaviest on screen effects and big bosses.

A lone, rare drop on PS5.

Obligatory...

Dj Khaled GIF by Kids' Choice Awards' Choice Awards

Okay, it's not that serious, but

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ignoring the texture issues on Xseries i see. Another one

Everything that was wrong with Series X in the Demo has been dramatically improved with flawless 60fps performance with the heaviest effects in the craziest battles and the biggest boss encounters. He tried his best and not a single fps drop, and this is without any downgrades at all from the demo.

Series S is also kicking ass. Some of the best optimization work on the Xbox Series consoles yet perhaps outside of Coalition maybe.

PS5 also is top notch and boasting flawless 60fps performance. There was only a single, brief hitch.

Series X has higher baseline resolution compared to PS5, but it isn't anything crazy.

And, yes, he doesn't appear as technical or as detailed as John or Alex from what I've noticed.

Series S kicking ass??

Series S has various visual settings tweaked. LoD, grass density, texture filtering etc are lower. Yeah, kicking ass. :/ But but difference between the XSS and X will be only in resolution they said.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You mean the AF? probably a bug that strangely affected that scene captured.

SX has stronger texturing capabilities, no way it loses out on something as basic as AF.
Stronger texture capabilities with the same amount of RAM with slower I/O, decompression and SSD? Just ...how? We can argue about shaders but texture eh. Anyway split the bandwidth speeds couldn't helps at all the texture AF works , if I can say.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is the AF the same in the final game to the demo? Because they should have fixed that. Respect to the locked performance at a higher resolution though But yeh, that AF was shit.

dcmk7

Banned
Series S kicking ass??

Series S has various visual settings tweaked. LoD, grass density, texture filtering etc are lower. Yeah, kicking ass. :/ But but difference between the XSS and X will be only in resolution they said.
It's crazy to see just how compromised XSS versions are. Very rarely seems to be just the resolution drop.

Surprising, to extra stuff changed / removed on so many cross gen games.

Portugeezer

Sounds funny how DF persuit a single drop on PS5 and avoid any Xbox Series X drop, presenting flawless performance.

Every machine has ocasionally drops like every system has ocasionally bugs. But they need to feed flamewar trolls. More DF prints to twitter accounts.
Lol true, but then they complain about how fanboys annoy them. Yeah no shit, DF is their oxygen most of the time.

At least don't complain about fanboys.

Last edited:

FireFly

It's crazy to see just how compromised XSS versions are. Very rarely seems to be just the resolution drop.

Surprising, to extra stuff changed / removed on so many cross gen games.
If the XSX is rendering at below 4K, then 1080p will likely be too high for the S. So it's a choice between 900p say, or lowering settings at 1080p. And some developers seem to think that the latter gives better visual returns. That may change over the course of the generation as upscaling techniques improve.

DF is biased, how the fuck they never mention this ?

lenMunK.gif
Thats not in the video
Are you blind? It's not absolutely. Check the video again pause it when the ground is more visible, it's visible even during a cutscene when the ground is framed. It's the same difference in the filter seen time ago just Tom doesn't noticed/mentioned/checked as always because... reasons.
Yeah I dont think it is
Wow! Again? The pseudo DF "experts" strike again.
It wasnt in the video
I find it funny how people are trying to avoid commenting on the AF/texture quality issue people have screenshotted while claiming victory streaks, GPU superiority, etc…

It becomes even funnier because, despite not wanting to dwell on it, the song and dance in that group pre launch was about massive victories in anything but Sony’s first party games (now parity or small victories are a streak). I am happy with both my systems, but the attitude and shit flinging in the year before launch just went unaddressed and forgotten (nope nobody said any of that, look over there a three headed monkey :p).

… streak indeed…
serious smackdown live GIF by WWE
I actually think the AF is fixed on whatever version this is
Ignoring the texture issues on Xseries i see. Another one
What texture issues?
wEsXTWS.gif

Quality sucks but you can see textures and AF look similar, but its hard to compare cause it looks like a totally different time of day or something.

Thats not in the video

Yeah I dont think it is

It wasnt in the video

I actually think the AF is fixed on whatever version this is

What texture issues?
wEsXTWS.gif

Quality sucks but you can see textures and AF look similar, but its hard to compare cause it looks like a totally different time of day or something.

Yeah after reading this thread I watched the video with my eyes glued to the ground to see what people were posting about, sure enough I wasted my time because the images they’re posting aren’t even from the fucking video.

Last edited:
I am seriously beginning to question the quality of digital foundry as experts, after watching nxgamers horizon zero dawn video then watching digital foundry piece, they are beginning to feel like amateur hour.

They really need to step up their game.
its nothing to do with being experts and more to do with their inherit bias. They're an embarrassing joke, have been for the last 8 years.

Top Bottom