• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Outriders Finally Tested! PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S - A Huge Leap Over The Demo

lpdfRZ7.png

You can see it in comparison shots and in the GIF you posted. There's instances where textures look a bit blurrier on the XSX version.
AF does seem slightly better on ps5, but no where near the gif at the beginning of this thread. Also time of day is very different causing very different shadows. Might not be TOD and just the sun placement, but it's still very very different. Ps5 is making shadows more towards player giving sharper looking edges. Xbox is more side to side making it look smoother.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Here are the results from Both Digital Foundry and VG Tech

Outriders - Demo

VG Tech

Xbox Series X - 1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1692p

Digital Foundry
Xbox Series X -1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1800p

Outriders - Final

VG Tech

Xbox Series X - 1944p
PlayStation 5 - 1692p

Digital Foundry
Xbox Series X -1800p
PlayStation 5 - 1728p

The results from VG Tech seem exactly same as the demo. DF pointed out similar numbers in the demo, but showed different results in the final build.

You pointed out tools getting better before. They just lowered the resolution to make the fame-rate stable on the XSX. It's very close, this is just funny after people talked about a huge gap in power last year.
Damn, some of yall kept saying this too about lowering the resolution.

Agree, some ppl need to just accept that there is no huge power gap.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Watched the video and they are so close. Totally makes sense to revisit after the poor demo and to highlight how up to par both xbox versions are now.

It's very visible here as well, mate. PS5 has better draw distance and Xbox version looks muddier few meters away. Maybe you need to view this in a bigger screen to get it?
Yeah I said ps5 has slightly better af. Draw distance is exactly the same. Totally different light though so that makes comparison a bit harder.

Lysandros

Damn, some of yall kept saying this too about lowering the resolution.

Agree, some ppl need to just accept that there is no huge power gap.
Expecting a huge power gap based on just one GPU metric difference of only 18% while ignoring all the others (including architecture differences affecting the efficiency) favoring the other console must be a very special state of mind to begin with...

Everything that was wrong with Series X in the Demo has been dramatically improved with flawless 60fps performance with the heaviest effects in the craziest battles and the biggest boss encounters. He tried his best and not a single fps drop, and this is without any downgrades at all from the demo.

Series S is also kicking ass. Some of the best optimization work on the Xbox Series consoles yet perhaps outside of Coalition maybe.
I completely agree. Solid 60fps performance and its always great to see the XSS meet its performance targets. No last generation console runs this at 60fps at all. Every version of this game is using reconstruction to get to higher resolutions and 1440p was always its stated resolution target.

No one said that the XSS would have have no differences outside of resolution so a developer dropping LODs, and reducing texture detail is to be expected on a device $200 less than its big brother. It absolutely delivers for the audience it is targeting and this is all without any apparent use of things like SFS to give even more memory headroom. The game has some jank but People Can Fly did a great job here. I expect developers that actually work to optimize their software and especially MS to really show what the console can do. Looking forward to seeing that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So does the xbox have worse AF or are people sharing footage and screens from the demo? I played all the way through it on xbox and I thought while not noticeable, if I stopped and really looked. The AF seemed to still be a bit off. Is this not actually the case?

Mr Moose

So does the xbox have worse AF or are people sharing footage and screens from the demo? I played all the way through it on xbox and I thought while not noticeable, if I stopped and really looked. The AF seemed to still be a bit off. Is this not actually the case?

In the scenes tested where both PS5 and Xbox Series X were not rendering at their maximum or minimum resolutions, the Xbox Series X rendered at a higher native resolution than the PS5. As an example, at one point in a cutscene the Xbox Series X rendered at a resolution of approximately 2792x1570 and the PS5 rendered the same scene at 2560x1440.
PS5 and Xbox Series X have extra trees and foliage in some scenes compared to Xbox Series S.
PS5 has improved texture filtering compared to the Xbox consoles

It's very visible here as well, mate. PS5 has better draw distance and Xbox version looks muddier few meters away. Maybe you need to view this in a bigger screen to get it?

I can assure you as someone who owns this game on Series X those screens of what it looks like there are inaccurate, and possibly just lower quality in some fashion, but it is absolutely not representative of what the Xbox Series X game looks like for that scene. The textures aren't that washed out at all, and the draw distance you see on PS5 is matched with what you see on Series X. Lots is happening in that scene at that point in time.

Series X has no draw distance deficit compared to PS5.
Lol sharing months old shots from the demo. Good job

Yea, what the heck is wrong with folks? Stop using OLD footage and old pictures of games to try to make a point. It just comes off crazy desperate and sad. Above all, it's just lazy.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just booted this up on xbox and the AF is the same as the demo to me...eg it's shit on xbox but the framerate is lush.

The way I tested is I went back to the first area and there's metal grating on the floor in the base and on the xbox all detail is lost a few metres in front of the character. I'm sure this same area on ps5 was pretty much perfect af in the demo and the metal grating doesn't lose its clarity like on the xbox version.

Just to add, I am a xbox fan and I just want the games to be the best they can on the platform. Just also prefer to be honest about all platforms.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can assure you as someone who owns this game on Series X those screens of what it looks like there are inaccurate, and possibly just lower quality in some fashion, but it is absolutely not representative of what the Xbox Series X game looks like for that scene. The textures aren't that washed out at all, and the draw distance you see on PS5 is matched with what you see on Series X. Lots is happening in that scene at that point in time.

Series X has no draw distance deficit compared to PS5.

Just booted this up on xbox and the AF is the same as the demo to me...eg it's shit on xbox but the framerate is lush.

I'll root to believing the later, sorry Senju.

assurdum

Banned
Thats not in the video

Yeah I dont think it is

It wasnt in the video

I actually think the AF is fixed on whatever version this is

What texture issues?
wEsXTWS.gif

Quality sucks but you can see textures and AF look similar, but its hard to compare cause it looks like a totally different time of day or something.
You have some serious problem in your eyes. Yeah AF it's definitely better on ps5 you can see it in the ground and not even in a subtle way. You can see it even from a smartphone just zoom on it

Last edited:
You have some serious problem in your eyes. Yeah AF it's definitely better on ps5 you can see it in the ground and not in a subtle way. You can see it even from a smartphone just zoom on it
AF is way better then the screen from the first page. Looks a bit lower than ps5 which I already stated twice. Shadows are very different. Earlier I said light is in a different place, but I don't think that's it at all anymore. The shadows are very different though. Not sure why.

Yeah man, try that opening area. The base and let me know. I'm sure its the same. I would actually love to be wrong though.

I'll give it a go and take a look. What kind of TV you have? Because honestly if I look at my old TCL now, who knows, but on my CX that shit looks crisp as a mofo with zero signs of texture filtering problems. But I didn't even have that issue with the old TCL, which I was using at the time the game released and after a few updates.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You hate on everything Xbox, and quite literally can't be trusted with anything pertaining to being objective.. At least I'm a Playstation fan too, and give credit where it's due.

You just need to show instead of talk. Usually I provide things that support my claims when available. Also you hate everything PlayStation and pretend to be neutral, I'm just honest with myself and the people here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'll give it a go and take a look. What kind of TV you have? Because honestly if I look at my old TCL now, who knows, but on my CX that shit looks crisp as a mofo with zero signs of texture filtering problems. But I didn't even have that issue with the old TCL, which I was using at the time the game released and after a few updates.

im on a LG CX, game looks great on Xbox and super smooth just that AF is not as good as I would like.

Banned
DF is biased, how the fuck they never mention this ?

lenMunK.gif

it's ridiculous that this still happens in the first place, it's literally free... texture filtering is fucking free... it doesn't impact performance on any modern GPU.
just another case of developers not having any attention to detail, I bet they didn't even notice that the AF settings are lower on SX, and simply forgot to turn it up

You just need to show instead of talk. Usually I provide things that support my claims when available. Also you hate everything PlayStation and pretend to be neutral, I'm just honest with myself and the people here.

Bs. Your idea of me hating on Playstation is calling it as I see it spec wise and features wise, and which I think is the better built system, or calling out games media bias where I think it exists, which is largely to kiss Sony's ass. On a consistent basis I'm batting off false or bs attacks on Playstation titles on twitter coming from other xbox fans.

Consistently I'm defending playstation games that are getting wrongfully trolled with nonsense arguments. Hell, Returnal is a perfect example. Xbox fans everywhere were trolling the fuck out of it. I was giving its rightful due, saying it looks amazing because it actually does. I initially wasn't blown away with Horizon, and then with the latest showing and giving credit where I feel it's deserved, even when some xbox fans tried to say the opposite. The thing about me is I don't fit neatly into any specific box. I'm a gamer first before an Xbox super fan.

Remember that. :)

Top Bottom