• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Unreal Engine 5 Matrix City Sample PC Analysis: The Cost of Next-Gen Rendering

Haggard

Banned
The aim of the demo was to push the boundaries of what was possible visually, which is expected to come at the cost of framerate. We should judge engines by shipping products, not tech demos.

If you think general issues like the massive single thread dependency of Nanite/Lumen just exist because of the demo nature of the software you're in for a rude awakening....
That is one massive flaw the developers would not have left in a playable and benchmarkable demo if they'd had a choice.....
Makes one question if the official release didn't come too early.

PaintTinJr

Dismissing a demo made by the engine creators themselves who should know how to get around the worst bottlenecks is a mistake.

Also, all demos so far had massive FPS issues......
True, but then only DX12 API and Windows were available for Early Access - not sure about now - as target options with nanite/lumen, so it could just as easily be a problem with the DX12 shader compiler being poorly multi-threaded and fixed in a Windows preview or nvidia/amd driver previews that Epic has access to, or has access to the source code and is optimising.

Whenever I can't test something graphics related with the most ubiquotes graphics API as an option, and the option offered has issues I usually wait until the dust settles, as these things usually just get fixed, one way or the other..

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can be wrong but I believe that only exists in tech or game focused forums/community.

Most people will buy games for the visuals without even know the performance and they will be fine with 30fps.

Visuals sells… performance not.

You will never see anybody saying that brought a game because it performs well.
But you will see a lot of guys buying games because it looks “fucking amazing”.

A game with Matrix demo visuals should sell tons.
They shouldn't sell tons if they don't run well. They will, but they shouldn't.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Dust-by-Monday Dust-by-Monday ethomaz ethomaz Hobbygaming Hobbygaming The_Mike The_Mike etc.

(Timestamped)

GIF by Rick James

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
AAA UE5 games using Nanite and Lumen were always going to be 30fps on consoles. It’s going to take a PC which costs 5x the cost of said consoles to hit a locked 60fps.

The XSXs addition of higher CPU clocks (3.8ghz) if using single threaded code vs lower (3.6ghz) in multiple threaded code might give it a bit of a boost.
CPU optimisation was always an issue on UE. Other engines like idtech were much better optimised.

Dismissing a demo made by the engine creators themselves who should know how to get around the worst bottlenecks is a mistake.

Also, all demos so far had massive FPS issues......

Is the demo intended to show the best possible performance of UE5? No. It's a tech demo, intended to show the brand new UE5 graphics technologies in their best possible light.

You're clueless if you think the tech demo developers sat down and rigourously optimised this demo for performance on every platform.

There's literally no impetus to do this. It's a free demo. Those manhours spent developing it are a marketing cost for Epic.

The aim of the demo was to push the boundaries of what was possible visually, which is expected to come at the cost of framerate. We should judge engines by shipping products, not tech demos.

This.

If you think general issues like the massive single thread dependency of Nanite/Lumen just exist because of the demo nature of the software you're in for a rude awakening....
That is one massive flaw the developers would not have left in a playable and benchmarkable demo if they'd had a choice.....

This shit is why DF's Alex often does more harm than good. He makes unfounded sweeping conclusions about a tool-suite like UE5 based on a few small tech demos and what he sees looking at his PC CPU core monitoring tool in Windows.

Alex is not a developer and does not have access to the comprehensive suite of performance and profiling tools that developers have and very much do use to develop commercial games.

If this quick and dirty tech demo runs largely on a single thread, it's very likely because that is what the demo devs chose to do, not because it was the only option afforded them within the constraints of the game engine. Game engines don't impose such constraints and UE5 is no different.

Nanite and Lumen are both GPU compute driven technologies. Meaning, they run on the GPU. Meaning they are massively multi-threaded by fucking definition.

If Alex is seeing high CPU utilisation in these demos, it's likely because of a draw call demand on the CPU, which is more a function of what the demo devs decided to place within a given scene in the demo than any inherent performance limitation.

On commercial games, devs build and optimise to carefully manage the draw call demand on the CPU. That's clearly not going to be a major concern for tech demo creators who were tasked to produce a quick and dirty demo to show off the visual results of the new engine tech in a short time frame. Epic devs or not, it doesn't matter. The demo devs would not have bothered about that level of optimisation because the manhours spent on making these demos are a sunk cost for Epic, so they would not have given them copious hours to work on the demos. That's not how a profit-orientated business works... and Epic is a profit-orientated business.

Last edited:
Is the demo intended to show the best possible performance of UE5? No. It's a tech demo, intended to show the brand new UE5 graphics technologies in their best possible light.

You're clueless if you think the tech demo developers sat down and rigourously optimised this demo for performance on every platform.
They even brought in The Coalition to help them with optimization, you seem to be in denial.

Last edited:
They even brought in The Coalition to help them with optimization, you seem to be in denial.

Some level of basic platform optimisation, yes.

But you're delusional if you think this was anything rigorous. Again, it's a free demo.

You seem to think that any optimisation == all possible performance optimisation possibilities were expended.

If you ask me it's you who is in denial making dumb and hilariously unrealistic conclusions like that.

Reactions: Rea

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
If Lumen is so CPU heavy won't they just use the standard SSGI, VXGI, or RTGI thats been in UE for years. Nanite is another matter.

This is in no way confirming that most current gen games will be 60fps, they won't
At least, it seems that most UE5 games will have to run at 30fps given the extremely CPU limited nature of the engine. Despite various optimisations and IO benefits, the matrix demo on consoles still ran at sub-30 framerates. And looking at how poor the CPU scaling is, brute forcing is looking ineffective. And I'm very disappointed to see the notorious shader compilation stutters being STILL present in UE5. Not good at all.

You will be surprised of how scalable todays engines are. We ain't using bloody Jaguar CPU's anymore either.
Aren't you disregarding the very point of the video? UE5 is the most "next gen" engine right now. However its scaling (at least as it is now) is quite poor. The most powerful systems cannot improve performance to today's standard levels. If the engine is not coded to take advantage of more powerful CPUs with more cores and threads, the power of CPUs become irrelevant. So, if such a game engine becomes more prevalent with game Devs, what do you think will happen?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You will be surprised of how scalable todays engines are. We ain't using bloody Jaguar CPU's anymore either.
When games start being made from the ground up for these consoles with these new engines, 60fps (for a lot of games at least) will slowly fade into the abyss

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Aren't you disregarding the very point of the video? UE5 is the most "next gen" engine right now. However its scaling (at least as it is now) is quite poor. The most powerful systems cannot improve performance to today's standard levels. If the engine is not coded to take advantage of more powerful CPUs with more cores and threads, the power of CPUs become irrelevant. So, if such a game engine becomes more prevalent with game Devs, what do you think will happen?
Did you even watch NXG's far better analysis?

Let me ask you this then, after the cross generational period ends do consoles typically focus on frames or graphics?
That's pretty much the same question...
Now, do you think options we had from day 1 will be taken away?

When games start being made from the ground up for these consoles with these new engines, 60fps (for a lot of games at least) will slowly fade into the abyss
More games will hit 60fps easier with UE5. You got it all turned upside down.

What?! Dude.. He literally covers all you're asking for in the video 😂
He really doesn't. Showing the slides of PS5 architecture doesn't explain anything. He neatly sidesteps the unreasonably high performance requirements of the engine. Again, I'll ask in simple terms: if the engine is so great and is purpose matched to console architecture, why is performance on consoles still so poor?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
He really doesn't. Showing the slides of PS5 architecture doesn't explain anything. He neatly sidesteps the unreasonably high performance requirements of the engine. Again, I'll ask in simple terms: if the engine is so great and is purpose matched to console architecture, why is performance on consoles still so poor?
He covers EVERYTHING you're asking for.

If you think the Matrix demo - for what it is - runs poorly on consoles - why does it run even "worse" on a PC with far better specs?

The Matrix demo runs great on consoles and shows UE5 will have absolutely no problem running at 60fps with a lot of bells and whistles turned on.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The same reason I've been saying all along, the same conclusion DF came to: the engine at the moment is very poorly optimised and heavily CPU limited.

Anyway. We will agree to disagree.
PC developers need to do some adjustments. UE5 needs to be able to move data faster than what SSD's and RAM can do in a PC now - it needs VRAM speed. - something both PS5 and XSS/X has.

Dude, watch the NXG analysis again. No way you watched it and missed it.

I disagree

Look at those videos I posted above and tell me that the Elemental Demo still looks better, and I'll tell you to see an optometrist because you're legally blind.

Everything from the texture work to the lighting to the VFX are dated in that demo.

You're probably thinking about the hype-fuelled, rose-tinted version of the demo in the vague recollection of your memory. But one look at the actual demo in the video above and it's clear that the demo was really nothing special and was exceeded effortlessly by a huge number of games last gen.

Reactions: Rea

sinnergy

The same reason I've been saying all along, the same conclusion DF came to: the engine at the moment is very poorly optimised and heavily CPU limited.

Anyway. We will agree to disagree.
You can’t say it’s badly optimized without looking at the code and without knowing for what kind of hardware it was attended for .. engines are forward looking designs most of the time .. maybe it runs much better on Pc with direct storage/ RTX storage . Even DF is off base here ..

Last edited:

FireFly

Well, when Alex disables hardware raytracing and the city simulation, you can see in the video frame rates jump to 90 - 100 FPS. So how do we know for example that the single thread dependency isn't primarily being driven by these elements in the demo?

See the DF report on the last demo:

"We're seeing some groundbreaking technology here and inevitably, there is a price to pay. Not even an overclocked RTX 3090 can run the demo fully locked at 60 frames per second at 1080p TSRed up to 4K. CPU-wise, an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - broadly equivalent to console performance - falls just short of delivering 60fps"

This comes back to the point that developers control which objects have Nanite, the quality of Lumen lighting, and how simulation is handled and which elements are procedurally generated. If certain elements of UE5 are expensive, it will inevitably control how developers use them. So we need to see what the balance is like in shipping titles targeting 30 and 60 FPS.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You can’t say it’s badly optimized without looking at the code and without knowing for what kind of hardware it was attended for .. engines are forward looking designs most of the time .. maybe it runs much better on Pc with direct storage/ RTX storage . Even DF is off base here ..
Even NXG says it's unoptimised. It's pretty obvious that it is or it would run better. It's to be expected though. This was just a free tech demo.

hlm666

If Lumen is so CPU heavy won't they just use the standard SSGI, VXGI, or RTGI thats been in UE for years. Nanite is another matter.
Would be interesting to see someone build the demo with the other GI options to see performance and visual differentials.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did he share his compiled version so we can test it ourselves?

not sure, I just selected the video the user shared and listened to what he was saying from that point, after a minute or so he goes into how this tech demo is not optimised at all and requires work.

DukeNukem00

Banned
36-43fps with my 3800x at 1080p. This is awful, cancel all UE5 games devs, I don’t want this future anymore.

That website i dont think it tests every component it shows. I think they test some parts then use some scaling for the rest. The 12900k results seem to be on par with whats expected, but they probably aproximated every other result

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
not sure, I just selected the video the user shared and listened to what he was saying from that point, after a minute or so he goes into how this tech demo is not optimised at all and requires work.
Its hard to "benchmark" these assets because when you compile them you can have different settings and options active/inactive.
Its not released as a fully compiled demo like on console.
Which is one of the reasons why these "benchmarks" should have taken forever to actually come out because compiling the assets can take 5 hours each time.
Whoever does the benchmark should release the compiled version so we can double check our setups vs their setups.
I know its academic but this isnt really a showing of what a developer could do with the engine.

Top Bottom