• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Update Nerfs All Five Classes - Players are pissed

Draugoth

Gold Member

The new update heavily nerfs a significant amount of builds across all Diablo 4 classes, including some of the most popular Barbarian ones.

The new Diablo 4 patch notes have been released, and players are not happy – as the latest update has nerfed not just the most popular Barbarian build but a plethora of other ones as well. The sentiment around Diablo 4 has largely been hopeful, with the community recognizing its shortcomings, providing the developers with valuable feedback, and being patient that Season of the Malignant would at least provide balance fixes that some classes sorely needed.

Players reacted, lots are saying they will be leaving for Baldur's Gate 3:

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm not playing D4 but wasn't there a concern before launch that respeccing would be cost prohibitive (gold wise) and force simps to the pay shop to get gold to respec?

Have to see how it all comes out in the wash but reading the notes this morning it didn't look good. The players want the game to be fun to play, not feel like even more of a chore.
This reminds me of that one patch in D2, and how D3 mostly worked out of the gate. Not sure why they keep fucking this up.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how people are still playing this. I was bored coming to the end of the campaign, let alone keeping on after it had finished.

These kinds of updates are basically reminding me that I should uninstall the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nope they are all overreacting. Typical of internet culture

There was more buffs than nerfs in this patch. And the classes are still just as strong
I was thinking the same thing. WAA the broken build I meticulously crafted got nerfed because on the of skill modifiers I used had a bug in it's calculation that got fixed!

who cares family guy GIF

Filben

Does it matter for the campaign, for the 'real' content?

I've always found the endgame, at least in D3, pretty redundant; get better gear to increase difficulty to get... better gear.

ssringo

Most of the crying comes from people that have only looked at someone else's work and copied it. There's not been much time for testing and respecs (which is legit costly and a pain).

Without respeccing, in lower/mid levels the offensive nerfs didn't feel too bad nor did the defensive nerfs and late game (which is much more noticeable) is supposed to be supplemented by a bunch of new gems that aren't available until the first season so, again, no testing. It's all speculation and math that doesn't necessarily play out in practice the same way it does on paper.

That said, the vibe of the patch wasn't good and we've gotten the nerf bat an awful lot. The general feeling of Blizzard being anti-fun isn't without merit either. One of the nerfs in the patch was literally making it take 2 seconds longer to teleport out of a dungeon. Was that really necessary?

There was more buffs than nerfs in this patch. And the classes are still just as strong
My level 100 Penetrating Shot Rogue would like to have a word with you. For a build that isn't that strong to begin with is now even more gimped due to the crit and vulnerable damage nerfs across the board, not to mention my survivability wasn't that great either and now with damage of monsters being buffed it's even worse. Not sure where you think my buffs are but they're not there

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
These are likely the same dweebs offended when one of the devs told them to play a different game, if they already did everything.

Little Mac

Gold Member

Lvl 100 Sorc here. No.

From Lexyu (build guide creator on Icy-veins.com):

"Ice Shards Sorcerer loses a considerable amount of damage output with the nerf to Devouring Blaze and fix to Aspect of Control. Without any buffs to offset the damage losses, besides the Malignant Hearts in Season 1, the Ice Shards Sorcerer falls behind in comparison to other builds/classes."

Roses Funeral GIF by Un si grand soleil

drotahorror

Game was basically one and done anyway. Great campaign, extremely poor replay value though. Worth my money atleast, I'll probably check it out again in a year or 2. There is so much shit to play.

Pop

My level 100 Penetrating Shot Rogue would like to have a word with you. For a build that isn't that strong to begin with is now even more gimped due to the crit and vulnerable damage nerfs across the board, not to mention my survivability wasn't that great either and now with damage of monsters being buffed it's even worse. Not sure where you think my buffs are but they're not there
There are about over double increases in the patch notes than reduced on player power

Pop

Lvl 100 Sorc here. No.

From Lexyu (build guide creator on Icy-veins.com):

"Ice Shards Sorcerer loses a considerable amount of damage output with the nerf to Devouring Blaze and fix to Aspect of Control. Without any buffs to offset the damage losses, besides the Malignant Hearts in Season 1, the Ice Shards Sorcerer falls behind in comparison to other builds/classes."

Roses Funeral GIF by Un si grand soleil
But thats one skill. Use the other 4 or 5

HoodWinked

Its premature people are crying about nerfs but aren't taking into account the malignant hearts which are a big power boost.

With the hearts likely will be stronger than before.

Kinda hard to play 2 games at the same time.

The context was that people would be switching over from a game that’s designed to be played for a long period of time, GaaS. Which Diablo 3 and IV are, essentially. And somehow people would leave for a turn-based RPG. It just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. And, plenty of people play multiple games at the same time, depending on what mood you’re in, or how much time you have.

Last edited:

Moneal

The context was that people would be switching over from a game that’s designed to be played for a long period of time, GaaS. Which Diablo 3 and IV are, essentially. And somehow people would leave for a turn-based RPG. It just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. And, plenty of people play multiple games at the same time, depending on what mood you’re in, or how much time you have.
Yes, it does make sense. Its just like how people skip a league or 2 of Path of Exile to either take a break or to play something new, usually something outside the ARPG space. GaaS season or league games require a ton of time especially at the start of the season or league. Its hard to play something else if you want to have a decent league start in PoE.

Atrus

Gold Member
The lack of focus on quality of life improvements and fixing what’s broken or a hassle is a big issue.

Class ‘balancing’ without the balance is something we’ve seen Blizzard do before but there’s really nothing big in the patch except a setup to incentivize their limited
season 1 additions by powering down the existing meta. So the season additions aren’t a boost so much as trying to return you to the status quo after you put in a lot more work.

All for…. well nothing really. Itemization is shit because there isn’t much to look forward to in terms of drops.

cripterion

Once done with the story game takes a nose dive. Endgame sucks once again , the items are just not good.
Oh and did 3 nightmare dungeons I a row and got 1 legendary each from the end reward.

Feels like the game was 6/10 but post patch they fucked it to 4/10.

bender

What time is it?
Blizzards ineptitude is ultimately what pushed me to not buy D4.
As a developer they are a shadow of their former selves and I wouldn't trust them to balance a ball, let alone a game with multiple classes.

You made the right decision to skip D4. I had the same sentiment after the beta but my co-op buddy wanted something new to play so I caved. Beyond all else, the game is just boring without a questionable design decision around every corner.

Reactions: Fuz

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
These changes don't affect story....This is more end game related around viability of builds.

Yes, I meant I had my fill of the game (I completed the story long after hitting lv 50) for reference).

Top Bottom