• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Capcom just casually elevate RE4 Remake to GOAT status?

Is RE4 Remake + Seperate ways one of the best games ever?

• Yes

Votes: 67 69.1%
  • No, but actually yes

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • No, but OP is right anyway

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Sleepwalker

No.
5 Years later... everyone forget the remake but not the original.

It's been almost 5 years since RE2Remake and everyone talks about it all the time in forums and is highly regarded still. The same will happen to 4, it might even be regarded better.

It's funny every RE thread we get the same garbage takes over and over: soulless, muh tank controls, MoDeRn StAnDaRdS, cash grab. lols

Keihart

No I think it is worse than RE1-6 and Revelations. It is above Code Veronica but that isn't hard. This team obviously has a very, very, very different concept than mine of what makes RE games good.
5 and 6 are ass, what a shit taste.

killatopak

I saw some people bitching on the other thread that the DLC should be free yet they are still charging $60 for their games on release, meanwhile the industry is releasing games at $70 without any additional content.
I definitely feel SW is worth more than $10. It’s that good and probably triples the content original SW had. I feel like I fleeced Capcom really lol.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Like I said in another topic SWR is a apology letter for RE3R.

Onto the RE2R and RE4R comparison.

RE2R to me is peak Survival Horror focusing more on exploration, knowing your way around the Police Station and puzzle solving and inventory management.

RE4R is more combat focused and more about managing ammo and if you have enough space for your BIG GUN. The intrigue in story is there but you aren't really defenseless ever. Especially with Parry system.

RE4R doesn't have MR.X who is that constant threat you have to worry about in 2nd run playthroughs.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I feel like RE2 Remake didn't get the amount of work as RE4 did.
Not intentionally but because it was the first Remake since REmake, I think the current team would make a better RE2make.
But I still love it.
But RE4 is considerably better then the original and is just more closer to the original trilogy.
I feel RE5 will follow the same foundation

killatopak

Like I said in another topic SWR is a apology letter for RE3R.

Onto the RE2R and RE4R comparison.

RE2R to me is peak Survival Horror focusing more on exploration, knowing your way around the Police Station and puzzle solving and inventory management.

RE4R is more combat focused and more about managing ammo and if you have enough space for your BIG GUN. The intrigue in story is there but you aren't really defenseless ever. Especially with Parry system.

RE4R doesn't have MR.X who is that constant threat you have to worry about in 2nd run playthroughs.
I kinda agree. Part of RE2’s puzzle is actually knowing what you get and where to get them. RE4’s random drops do away with this mentality of limited resources and item management. You do however have another resource to juggle which is pesetas.

Parry system however doesn’t exactly defend you from everything. It’s a perishable resource like everything else. I would compare it to the REmake defense items.

I was kinda disappointed by RE2 remake.

Will this be any different?

I prefer newer games like RE7/RE8 that are not shackled by games released decades ago.

Remakes just take away any tension with smooth 60 fps and responsive controls that you used to feel when you originally played them.
Just play it at 30fps on PC where you can control the framerate cap.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I kinda agree. Part of RE2’s puzzle is actually knowing what you get and where to get them. RE4’s random drops do away with this mentality of limited resources and item management. You do however have another resource to juggle which is pesetas.

Parry system however doesn’t exactly defend you from everything. It’s a perishable resource like everything else. I would compare it to the REmake defense items.
Oh for sure. In Re2 you aren't buying and selling items. It's all based on finding stuff in your location and it's usually better to just flatout avoid most threats or learn how to deal with them. Lickers can be avoided entirely just by walking past them before they even notice you.

Most of the time in Re4 you have more then enough tools to dispatch most enemies and all your ammo you saved up usually gets drained by the big boss. Honestly wouldn't mind a Resident Evil roguelike game now that I think about it. Has a good foundation.

I just wish Re3 got the proper Nemesis we all deserved instead of it actually being Mr.X.

Mr.X and Creative Assembly's Alien were probably the 2 best enemies to come out of Survival Horror in the last 10 years.

Hugare

I reckon its a good remake, but I havent even finished it yet 'cause I got bored

Something was lost in translation and I believe its gameplay related. The floaty controls from RE 2 doesnt gel well with RE 4's action nature.

I've been replaying the original with the HD mod and its so much more fun to play. Feels "arcadey", but the gameplay loop is so precise and satisfying. In RE4 Remake it doesnt feel good.

I loved RE 2, but there the controls felt right. Probably due to the more slow paced campaign and enemies.

killatopak

I've been replaying the original with the HD mod and its so much more fun to play. Feels "arcadey", but the gameplay loop is so precise and satisfying. In RE4 Remake it doesnt feel good.
I’ve felt the same before but got used to it pretty quick. I attribute this preciseness due to RE4’s gunplay compared to the remake. One of the initial problems I had with the remake is that it inherited the previous remake’s focus reticle. Add that to the gun sway and sometimes you feel very imprecise in shooting. It’s much easier in the original due to every weapon having a laser sight.

The issue is very noticeable for Magnums in the remake. The targeting reticule is huge. Broken Butterfly and the Handcannon feels very inaccurate.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I’ve felt the same before but got used to it pretty quick. I attribute this preciseness due to RE4’s gunplay compared to the remake. One of the initial problems I had with the remake is that it inherited the previous remake’s focus reticle. Add that to the gun sway and sometimes you feel very imprecise in shooting. It’s much easier in the original due to every weapon having a laser sight.
I second this. Takes a bit getting used to but it works really well once you do. You just shouldn’t be stubborn about it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I second this. Takes a bit getting used to but it works really well once you do. You just shouldn’t be stubborn about it.
By the way… this topic reminds me of a workmate of mine who refused to give the Original RE4 even a chance because you could not strafe (!) - even though I told him that the game is not designed for that and made certain adjustments to accommodate for it.

I mean, what the hell? How dense can some people be?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's just one shot of a shotgun compared to 15 shots of handgun if a plaga comes up. Well you can say a single shotgun bullet is more important for you due to the abundance of handgun bullets but what you're failing to recognize is that you're actually saving time. Not just for a higher ranking which isn't important for the average player but time you spent dispatching an enemy so you won't get swarmed if you diligently waste time using your handgun.
When did I speak against using a shotgun for saving time? You’re making up hypotheticals then acting like I said them.

Besides, these problem are nonexistent on lower difficulties as you have plenty of ammo and tools to genocide the whole populace.
Completely disagree. Maybe they patched it or something. Kill them all in hopes of loot or run by to save ammo, doesn’t matter. Focus on stuns to do more melee, doesn’t matter. Scour every inch of the level for pickups, craft stuff, doesn’t matter. It seems to dynamically adjust drops to keep you strung along.

Also, places you can get swarmed are not abundant in the beginning when you're most vulnerable. That's the places where you actually use your saved up resources. Most instances, you can get by using your lower damage tools.
Yes I have played resident evil games. A lot of them, many times over.

The game even gives you a reusable weapon if you really want to save up ammunition. I'm talking about the Bowgun.
The slowest and most ineffectual weapon I’ve ever seen in any RE game.

My dude, you have a completely different vision of what makes RE games enjoyable than everyone else.
I’ve met plenty of people who agree with me.

5 and 6 are ass, what a shit taste.
Many people never learned all the things you can do so I don’t fault people for being distracted by the level design being bad. Unlike this game, you have a huge variety of effective options and can play creatively and responsively.

killatopak

When did I speak against using a shotgun for saving time? You’re making up hypotheticals then acting like I said them.
Dude, I was the one who brought up shotgun in the first place and you were against using resources as a reply to MY shotgun post. I was following my own line of thought.
Completely disagree. Maybe they patched it or something. Kill them all in hopes of loot or run by to save ammo, doesn’t matter. Focus on stuns to do more melee, doesn’t matter. Scour every inch of the level for pickups, craft stuff, doesn’t matter. It seems to dynamically adjust drops to keep you strung along.
There are dynamic drops HOWEVER there are also static drops that aren’t random. Like I know for sure where to get four guaranteed flashbang grenades before the El Gigante fight before you even have the chance to craft them no matter the difficulty. I know where to get static hand grenade drops EVEN if they are from yellow barrels. The difference is you can actually run out of ammo pretty easily in higher difficulty because enemies need more damage to be killed. You need to prioritize who to kill, what order and with what tool to use. You can go gungho on lower difficulties.

The slowest and most ineffectual weapon I’ve ever seen in any RE game.
Also has virtually infinite ammo which pretty damn even the scales. Besides with the mines, it’s an easy miniboss/boss killer. Killed Bella sisters and Mendez in less than one second with this bad boy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some of you are trying so hard to make contrarian and off the wall takes, that you're jumping through hoops backwards while on fire.

main-qimg-97b4fb99a3a81f360c7e2518ec8601a8

Dice

Some of you are trying so hard to make contrarian and off the wall takes, that you're jumping through hoops backwards while on fire.
You mean very common takes that I have seen all over the internet. Plus it would seem the only thing we truly disagree on is the amount of ammo the game gives you. Everything else I have named has been acknowledged BUT it's okay BECAUSE of this that or the other thing. Bottom line is we see all the same design changes, I hate where they lead in the end-result gameplay while some others here like where they lead.

However I would also say this steers the conversation past the larger issue that it FEELS like absolute garbage to control. Maybe that's different on PC or something but I'm not buying a game I hate a second time to find out if only one of the issues is solved there. Nonetheless, it is another factor that strongly discourages me from trying to "find the fun" buried under the other design choices.

Keihart

Many people never learned all the things you can do so I don’t fault people for being distracted by the level design being bad. Unlike this game, you have a huge variety of effective options and can play creatively and responsively.
i love actions games, i'm no extranger to fucking around with game mechanics just for the fun of it.
There are good and interesting mechanics in RE6 but playing it sucks ass, the level design and enemies don't support the combat mechanics at all and take a lot from the fun in them most of the time, not to mention, level design and atmosphere are not something trivial that doesnt' matter in RE, they are in the core of what the games are about.

If RE6 was not RE, i would love it in a "this game is so weird" kind of way, in the same way i love games that didn't have the budget of RE6 but tried to do weird things...RE6 had no excuse to be so bad.

If you look only at story, sure. The gameplay has been completely ruined. They tried to shoehorn their RE2R gameplay into an RE4 context and it fucking sucks.

RE2R was the last RE game I liked and it has me worried about the future. RE was my fav franchise for 20 years but 7/8 and these Remakes are sacrificing everything about the gameplay for cheap tricks.

This, the gameplay is just worse in Remake compared to re4. Sluggish wonky controls. Ashley is badly implemented. Movement feels wack. Still a great game but they screwed up.

Dice

Sharing this because sometimes it just sounds like we're literally working with different builds of the game. It's hard to imagine there is such a massive difference of ammo, for example, that some agree that you barely scrape by the whole time no matter how conservative you try to be and others say it gives you more than enough to slay everything that moves and have more left over for bosses.

Here is an example of what I see typical in my game, even on normal difficulty. Plagas often don't "threaten" to come out, they just do instantly on a head pop. And you see two direct hits with shotgun only makes it stumble for melee or takes another shot to kill it. Alternatively you see just a bunch of pistol shots with the second one. Time stamp 10:15 if the link doesn't work right for some reason.

That video overall is pretty representative except they aren't very mindful to do parries or search the area for available items. There are a few cuts, which I imagine is because things went to shit so they had to start over. Their ammo is obviously very scant.

This, the gameplay is just worse in Remake compared to re4. Sluggish wonky controls. Ashley is badly implemented. Movement feels wack. Still a great game but they screwed up.
I might plug KB/M into my Xbox to see how much is them massively failing at gamepad controls and how much is the actual animation/character movement. It worked way better in RE2R since the whole thing was designed for a slow and deliberate pace and keeping your distance and the ammo was pre-placed.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
All REs give you enough ammo to just lay waste to everything you encounter, even the first game has you just running around blasting shit to pieces by the third act.
The remake of the second game actually felt like it gave the least ammo, even RE7 which starts of super slow has you going similarly death machine about half way around; the ammo in RE4 was always balanced around melee, so if you made good use of melee, you'd be swimming in ammo, same with RE5, the remake makes melee a bit weaker (no more easy suplex), but you get the overpowered parry in return, a fully upgraded knife is a damn menace.
I generally have one of the disposable knives equipped, since they do the same amount of stabbing damage as all the other knives, this way you'll always have the strong knife for a tougher encounter.

Astral Dog

Disclaimer: Ada and Wesker voice acting suck in this and so does the DLC filled with it. You are better off playing the characters in Mercenaries with better mechanics.

P.S. The main game is pretty good overall. Special weapons suck ass unfortunately. It also misses some of the moments that made the original great.
I love Wesker 's voice acting in the dlc he is pretty good

fart town usa

Gold Member
Also coming to PSVR2 sometime before the end of the year (just the main game).

Capcom are beasts. We got Village in VR earlier this year, then they release RE4make, then some killer DLC, and still the VR version.

Hands down the best developers in the business.

mcjmetroid

I haven't played the dlc but my only issues in the remake are
1 Leon moves too slow.
And 2 they fucked up the hard mode by making enemies way harder to stagger than the professional mode in the original game.

It's a better game on normal but it's too easy for me.

killatopak

Here is an example of what I see typical in my game, even on normal difficulty. Plagas often don't "threaten" to come out, they just do instantly on a head pop. And you see two direct hits with shotgun only makes it stumble for melee or takes another shot to kill it. Alternatively you see just a bunch of pistol shots with the second one. Time stamp 10:15 if the link doesn't work right for some reason.
Headpops doesn't stop plaga from coming out. There's a reason I pointed out earlier that you need to hit their body where the Plaga resides AND kill them instantly. Leave a sliver of health and they will pop up guaranteed if they are predetermined to have a Plaga inside. They are randomly selected. Although some specific ganados are guaranteed to have a Plaga no matter how many times you restart.

Professional difficulty require a fully upgraded shotty to kill them instantly but on Standard, you need a lot less. At the very least, during the Village sequence you can pull off an instant kill with the one you get in the cutscene house.

Here is the house segment with Luis which is the perfect time to use your shotgun resources. This video is actually the source of my information about using shotguns and made me learn how to effectively disable plaga pop ups. Timestamp is at 1:27:05

Last edited:

Dice

Headpops doesn't stop plaga from coming out. There's a reason I pointed out earlier that you need to hit their body where the Plaga resides AND kill them instantly. Leave a sliver of health and they will pop up guaranteed if they are predetermined to have a Plaga inside. They are randomly selected. Although some specific ganados are guaranteed to have a Plaga no matter how many times you restart.
I never meant that headpop would stop a plagas from popping out. That obviously doesn't make any sense at all since that is usually when you find out they even had one. It sounded like you meant that on a headpop there would be the "threatening to come out" animation and that is when you have to get rid of their HP before they come out, which is why I showed some instantly coming out.

Now it seems you are clarifying that you have to completely drain their HP from the chest before or with the killing move. Since every single villager could have plagas, I think this is a crap "solution" for the issue since draining all HP from every single villager with chest shots is not sustainable. Even less so with your recommendation of shotgun shots. The game gives you maybe 1/4 of the ammo necessary to be doing that. It can work for that one sequence you showed, but how is it good game design to require a person to already know the entire structure of the game ahead of time to know what moments they need certain things upgraded by and where to use specific forms of ammo? This also contradicts the claim of the game having enough to slaughter everything.

Last edited:

killatopak

I never meant that headpop would stop a plagas from popping out. That obviously doesn't make any sense at all since that is usually when you find out they even had one. It sounded like you meant that on a headpop there would be the "threatening to come out" animation and that is when you have to get rid of their HP before they come out, which is why I showed some instantly coming out.

Now it seems you are clarifying that you have to completely drain their HP from the chest before or with the killing move. Since every single villager could have plagas, I think this is a crap "solution" for the issue since draining all HP from every single villager with chest shots is not sustainable. Even less so with your recommendation of shotgun shots. The game gives you maybe 1/4 of the ammo necessary to be doing that. It can work for that one sequence you showed, but how is it good game design to require a person to already know the entire structure of the game ahead of time to know what moments they need certain things upgraded by and where to use specific forms of ammo? This also contradicts the claim of the game having enough to slaughter everything.
No, not every single villager. I only recommend doing so in places where you actually get swarmed at. Places like the example above, maybe the dynamite valley after the abandoned factory, the emblem area on the lake.
Places where you're sieged on all sides.

In most cases, you can use your other guns such as handguns or rifles from afar since enemies are generally in front of you where you can see them coming at you. Say for example the area where you first meet luis. Nobody is coming behind you or at your sides since you're coming from a narrow tunnel. Every enemy is in front of you and far away from you. The situation doesn't call for the use of rarer ammunition.
Even less so with your recommendation of shotgun shots. The game gives you maybe 1/4 of the ammo

I mean if you REALLY want to push it.

Last edited:
RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time. I've played the demo of RE4R and it was great, but I have been waiting on a Gold version (or large discount, BF hopefully). There just have been too many awesome games this year. But posts like this make it hard not to want to jump right in.

RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time. I've played the demo of RE4R and it was great, but I have been waiting on a Gold version (or large discount, BF hopefully). There just have been too many awesome games this year. But posts like this make it hard not to want to jump right in.
I’ve played all the great games this year. And I believe RE4 Remake is the best of them all. But I never played the og

In a year as strong as 2023 with many, many games that could have easily taken GOTY in the past couple of years prior, RE4R still manages to stand out. It's my undisputed GOTY.

It's a god-tier remake to one of the greatest games of all time to the point where - *gasp!* - it might even be better than the original, I say this is an OG Resident Evil fan. When it released it instantly became my GOTY frontrunner but a lot of games have come and gone since then in what has been a banner year, it's still in my top 8 though. Haven't played Separate Ways DLC yet.

RE4R is better than the original for my tastes and the dlc makes it even more appealing.

If RE2R had a proper B scenario it would also be perfect.

RE3R plays well but is ultimately butchered I think scenario wise and Nemesis is a joke.

Now one can only hope for another Remake of 1 with the same polish as 2 Remake.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
In co-op with a friend, 5 is awesome. 6 though….it’s basically a gears of war game.
6 is ultimate trash. Took me until 2020 to finally beat it - and I played and finished everything RE day one since 1997.

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts I even watched a few tutorials on YT in order to “understand” the controls but even that didn’t help. Finishing this game was the one of the hardest grinds ever for me.

GymWolf

I could not care less about the adventures of ada tbh.

I'm completely feed up with re4 gameplay style until re5 remake comes out in a year or 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom