• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DidYouKnowGaming? Sonic R Unexpected Development - Game History Secrets

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today on Game History Secrets, Liam talks about his journey uncovering the development of Sonic R, a Sonic game made by Traveller's Tales and overseen by the usual developers of Sonic the Hedghog games, Sonic Team, for the Sega Saturn.

The YouTube video titled "Sonic R's Unexpected Development - Game History Secrets" explores the story behind the development of the video game Sonic R. Sega, in need of a game for their holiday lineup, handed over the project to Travelers Tales, a small developer in England. The game was originally intended to be a Sonic racing game, but Travelers Tales was already working on a Formula One game for Sega. When Sonic's flagship 3D game was cancelled, Travelers Tales was allowed to retrofit their Formula One game into Sonic R. The game was developed by teams in Japan and England, and Sega producer Katsato worked closely with Travelers Tales, even attending lead programmer John Burton's wedding. The first prototype of Sonic R was developed by March 14, 1997.

Sonic R was my first Sonic game, predating Sonic 3 and Knuckles for me. It was also the first game I recall unlocking all the content in! Interestingly, Hirokazu Yashuhara worked on the level design in this game, giving it a kind of Sonic but in 3D feeling in spite of it being a racing game with multiple routes some of which are shortcuts, etc.

Top Bottom