• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

I finished this game, and I have some mixed feelings about it, but ultimately, it's a very good jRPG, and a game that was definitely worth my $ and time.

What I loved:
-Digimons.
-Fast paced turn based battles! Seriously, even though there's no ATB, I never felt like battles dragged.
-Digimon special attacks animations were faithful to the anime! They all looked so cool!
-Character designs. Even though they have questionable clothing choices, I like the way characters look.
-World design. The Tokyo segments looked cool, and the digital world places looked even better. Very good job there.
-Animated cutscenes were so good :)
-The whole digimon creating/evolving/devolving/fusion/etc. system. Enough depth without being too complex.

Mixed feelings:
-Music. Some of it was great, but some of it was pretty forgettable too. Nothing to write home about, imo.
-Pacing. It starts great but, I felt it dragged too long on the
Royal Knights
chapters.

Disliked:
-Plot. It tried too hard to be cool imo.
Suedo's
lines at the end were borderline hilarious. I guess I should not have expected too much anyway, considering the game is probably aimed at teenagers. But that's my point, why overcomplicate things?
-Dialogues were terrible. Specially the LOLZ Paul Stanley wannabe. Maybe it's the localization's fault, who knows.
-Characters were so predictable and honestly boring. So archetypal.
-Going through the same dungeons multiple times was not cool. This was true on the
Royal Knights
chapters.

More game, less plot imo.

What did you guys think about the story? Maybe I'm a grumpy old man :)

I beat the game and I'm about 90 hours in finishing up collecting medals and online battles and I haven't the slightest clue what the story is about. I skipped about 95% of the dialogue because I was too lazy and impatient to read it all.

alright, alright...I think I just beat the game, but...

...seriously? is that all it is? I wake up and it's alphamon telling me to come back to the digital world, and then...i'm back in the real world and there's kyoko...

what the fuck? this is the most nonsensical ending i've ever experienced since goddamn Mass Effect 3. And I was actually loving this game...this shit is such a killer buzzkill.

I need some time to think about this.
Those are the
Royal Knight
missions, right? If so, Mirei just tells you who the next one is.
appreciate the help but I think my passion and drive for playing this game all just went right down the drain.

True Fire

alright, alright...I think I just beat the game, but...

...seriously? is that all it is? I wake up and it's alphamon telling me to come back to the digital world, and then...i'm back in the real world and there's kyoko...

what the fuck? this is the most nonsensical ending i've ever experienced since goddamn Mass Effect 3. And I was actually loving this game...this shit is such a killer buzzkill.

I need some time to think about this.

appreciate the help but I think my passion and drive for playing this game all just went right down the drain.

Seriously? The ending was very poignant and makes a lot of sense. It's very similar to all of the Digimon Anime endings. I really don't understand the Mass Effect 3 comparisons.

JClarke

Banned
Pleasantly surprised by the plot. Whilst I don't really understand it, it seems complex and devoid of any true villains. Everyone has understandable(more or less) motives, which is uncommon for JRPGs

Seriously? The ending was very poignant and makes a lot of sense. It's very similar to all of the Digimon Anime endings. I really don't understand the Mass Effect 3 comparisons.
Yes, seriously.

-Why is Sudeo still out there?
-Why did I not get up from the Eden syndrome?
-I thought it was cool that I was keeping touch with my mother, now is she not gonna know my situation?
-I don't know if I can trust the King Drasion mothafucker, I was under the impression the entire time that he would be the final boss.
I could go more in depth I guess but I'm on mobile. I was loving the game the whole time but the ending...ugh. Makes me not want to touch the game ever again.

Yes, seriously.

-Why is Sudeo still out there?
-Why did I not get up from the Eden syndrome?
-I thought it was cool that I was keeping touch with my mother, now is she not gonna know my situation?
-I don't know if I can trust the King Drasion mothafucker, I was under the impression the entire time that he would be the final boss.
I could go more in depth I guess but I'm on mobile. I was loving the game the whole time but the ending...ugh. Makes me not want to touch the game ever again.

I don't think you understood what happened completely, maybe watch the ending again...Anyways to answer your questions:
We don't know what happened with Suedo, it might be he longer exists. Suedo wanted to get rid of sadness in the world, he wasn't doing it for malicious purposes, the way he did it was flawed and he aknowledges that, he leaves you with the task(kinda).
The MC's digital data was broken up & lost, this was why your body was becoming unstable near the end - throughout the whole game you're still in your Digital state , even in the real world - thus why you needed to gather apperance data or w.e at the start of the game. Alphamon & all of your digimon worked together to retrieve those pieces and put you back together. That's why you wake up after the others.
The last point in the game is you meeting with the real Kyoko and becoming a detective again, everything which happened in the game was reset by Ygdrassil(King Drasil in poor translation/dub) , the Digimon didn't invade the real world, the eaters didn't invade the digital world because EDEN wasn't created.The eaters original role wasn't to do the bad things they did,so they still exist, outside the world/dimension the real world and Digitla world exist in. You're probably still in touch with your mother, it's not really a major plotline that needs to be put into the epilogue.You fight Ygdrassil corrupted by the eaters+Suedo. As teh other person said, it's a very Digimon ending, the whole story wasn't that great, but it was above average & similar to other Digimon story's.

I don't think you understood what happened completely, maybe watch the ending again...Anyways to answer your questions:
We don't know what happened with Suedo, it might be he longer exists. Suedo wanted to get rid of sadness in the world, he wasn't doing it for malicious purposes, the way he did it was flawed and he aknowledges that, he leaves you with the task(kinda).
The MC's digital data was broken up & lost, this was why your body was becoming unstable near the end - throughout the whole game you're still in your Digital state , even in the real world - thus why you needed to gather apperance data or w.e at the start of the game. Alphamon & all of your digimon worked together to retrieve those pieces and put you back together. That's why you wake up after the others.
The last point in the game is you meeting with the real Kyoko and becoming a detective again, everything which happened in the game was reset by Ygdrassil(King Drasil in poor translation/dub) , the Digimon didn't invade the real world, the eaters didn't invade the digital world because EDEN wasn't created.The eaters original role wasn't to do the bad things they did,so they still exist, outside the world/dimension the real world and Digitla world exist in. You're probably still in touch with your mother, it's not really a major plotline that needs to be put into the epilogue.You fight Ygdrassil corrupted by the eaters+Suedo. As teh other person said, it's a very Digimon ending, the whole story wasn't that great, but it was above average & similar to other Digimon story's.
thanks for the explanation but overall it doesn't come off as a satisfactory ending to me...I shouldn't keep talking about it here if there are still active people who haven't beat it yet. I'll make my own thread for it later perhaps.

Ultimadrago

thanks for the explanation but overall it doesn't come off as a satisfactory ending to me...I shouldn't keep talking about it here if there are still active people who haven't beat it yet. I'll make my own thread for it later perhaps.

Off Topic, but I wanted to congratulate you on seeing the whole thing through! I remember you jumped on it withouy knowing much Digimon at all and now you've completed the title.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Been putting this game off for a while but about to start. How easy is it to get specific digimon later in the game from scratch?

I kind of don't want to be glued to a computer or have to plan out a digivolution path. Can I just wing it for most of the game and still easily (aside from grinding) acquire specific endgame digimon if there's something I decide I want?

Other than that, any other tips or things I should keep in mind before I start?

AlanOC91

So tempted to buy a PS4 for this and Bloodborne alone. Really been eager to play this.

Find it hard to justify since I dumped lots of money into my PC which is pretty much my only gaming machine alongside my Wii U.

Been putting this game off for a while but about to start. How easy is it to get specific digimon later in the game from scratch?

I kind of don't want to be glued to a computer or have to plan out a digivolution path. Can I just wing it for most of the game and still easily (aside from grinding) acquire specific endgame digimon if there's something I decide I want?

Other than that, any other tips or things I should keep in mind before I start?

Getting the Digimon you want, especially in the endgame, is a complete nonissue.
There's no way to permanently wreck a Digimon and hopping around the digivolution charts is fun in itself so getting what you want is never really a chore.

Lagamorph

Just shy of 40 hours and I've just started Chapter 14.
In fairness though, I've probably spent at least 3 hours using the Platinum Cup to grind for Mega Evolutions.

My current team is Black WarGreymon, Rosemon and Imperialdramon DM.
In reserve I've got MagnaAngemon, HerculesKabuterimon and Black MetalGarurumon.

Was going to fuse WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, but I need to solve some "Great Challenge" things first that I haven't come across yet.

Want to digivolve MagnaAngemon, but I've no idea what his evolutions, plus despite him being Level 70 some of his stats still aren't high enough. And one of them needs ABI at 40, so I'll have to De-Digivolve him then grind him up, then Digivolve and grind him up again. Even with two PlatinumSukemon's that takes a while at the moment.

Just shy of 40 hours and I've just started Chapter 14.
In fairness though, I've probably spent at least 3 hours using the Platinum Cup to grind for Mega Evolutions.

My current team is Black WarGreymon, Rosemon and Imperialdramon DM.
In reserve I've got MagnaAngemon, HerculesKabuterimon and Black MetalGarurumon.

Was going to fuse WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, but I need to solve some "Great Challenge" things first that I haven't come across yet.

Want to digivolve MagnaAngemon, but I've no idea what his evolutions, plus despite him being Level 70 some of his stats still aren't high enough. And one of them needs ABI at 40, so I'll have to De-Digivolve him then grind him up, then Digivolve and grind him up again. Even with two PlatinumSukemon's that takes a while at the moment.

The great challenge quests unlock near the end of chapter 19.
Digivolution possibilities available here:http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/757436...leuth/faqs/71778?page=13#Digimon Encyclopedia
You need some tacticians USB's to quicken the platmon method. You need to set your farms to develop @ 1000 Yen - Use Digimon with the developer personality and fill it with the Development equipment.

Off Topic, but I wanted to congratulate you on seeing the whole thing through! I remember you jumped on it withouy knowing much Digimon at all and now you've completed the title.
haha thanks, I did watch season 1 2 and 3 as a kid and I played digimon world 2, and I loved this 90% of the way through

RexNovis

Banned
please help...

MarineAngemon is best mon. This is known.

I used UlforceVeedramon, MarineAngemon and BlackWarGreymon with Jesmon, Mastemon, Lilithmon, Plesiomon and Sukayamon in reserve. Worked really well for me and MarineAngemon was the clear MVP. Saved my ass more times than I'd care to admit.

Wait you didn't like the ending? What? Why? I thought it was quite well done.

Lagamorph

The great challenge quests unlock near the end of chapter 19.
Digivolution possibilities available here:http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/757436...leuth/faqs/71778?page=13#Digimon Encyclopedia
You need some tacticians USB's to quicken the platmon method. You need to set your farms to develop @ 1000 Yen - Use Digimon with the developer personality and fill it with the Development equipment.
Thanks for that list!

5 developer know hows, 10 builder personalities and still not a single tactician USB though!

Just finished Chapter 15 though. Well.....damn.

Honestly with the patches and all this stuff, you're better off grinding Legendary Cup for the Tactician, considering there are numerous other ways to get a Tactician USB. I mean getting your first two from the farm island is fine but after that is... eugh.

Thanks for that list!

5 developer know hows, 10 builder personalities and still not a single tactician USB though!

Just finished Chapter 15 though. Well.....damn.

You can save/reset but I dunno what the cutoff time for that is, I got mine passively - just playing.

What I did was play until I knew it was close to finishing the development and when 1 minute is remaining save your game and do a reset if you don't get them. I didn't have to reset that much, also remember that it's the middle research option if I'm not mistaken.

MarineAngemon is best mon. This is known.

I used UlforceVeedramon, MarineAngemon and BlackWarGreymon with Jesmon, Mastemon, Lilithmon, Plesiomon and Sukayamon in reserve. Worked really well for me and MarineAngemon was the clear MVP. Saved my ass more times than I'd care to admit.

Wait you didn't like the ending? What? Why? I thought it was quite well done.
I despised the shit out of the ending. Maybe even worse than Me3. This isn't the place to talk about it though maybe I'll just make a new thread later.

About 5 hours in and I'm really liking the game. The battle with the weird rock star guy was the first bit of difficulty in the game, but I was able to get through it pretty easily.

This game feels like a hybrid of Persona, Pokemon and The Mega Man Battle Network games; it's really something. Still figuring out what the best route is for digivolving digimon and how the specific elements match up.

RexNovis

Banned
I despised the shit out of the ending. Maybe even worse than Me3. This isn't the place to talk about it though maybe I'll just make a new thread later.

I honestly dont understand why anyone would think the ending is worse than ME3. What is it that you hated so much?

This is the place to talk about =s, why create a whole thread for one opinion, it'll end up being an echo chamber like most threads regarding opinion.

RexNovis

Banned
Ill make a new thread for it, man. My time and place in this thread is pretty much done, for now.

This is the OT for the game. It is the place to talk about it. If anything there's less reason to create a new thread than to discuss it here with others who have played and finished the game.

RexNovis

Banned
About 5 hours in and I'm really liking the game. The battle with the weird rock star guy was the first bit of difficulty in the game, but I was able to get through it pretty easily.

This game feels like a hybrid of Persona, Pokemon and The Mega Man Battle Network games; it's really something. Still figuring out what the best route is for digivolving digimon and how the specific elements match up.

Glad you're liking it! It gets even better around half way through. Just you wait :D

As far as the best route goes you're meant to Expiramental a bit since there are no penalties for de digivolving. It's honestly half the fun of the game IMHO.

Edit: oops sorry double post o_O

This is the OT for the game. It is the place to talk about it. If anything there's less reason to create a new thread than to discuss it here with others who have played and finished the game.
Yeah but there are presumably other active users here who are still playing the game, and I want to do posts with spoilers. I also don't want to piss them off and be a nay-sayer about the ending, you know. Seems clear I'm the only one with the unpopular opinion.

Yeah but there are presumably other active users here who are still playing the game, and I want to do posts with spoilers. I also don't want to piss them off and be a nay-sayer about the ending, you know. Seems clear I'm the only one with the unpopular opinion.

Use the spoiler tag... It's more that you haven't been clear as to why you dislike it - your issues before where addressed, I thought the story was meh-above average, the ending was rushed - but it's a vita game so I can get why they didn't want to delve into the digital world. This thread is here for discussion about the game,no need to create another one, unless you're late to the party and the OT is inactive.

Use the spoiler tag... It's more that you haven't been clear as to why you dislike it - your issues before where addressed, I thought the story was meh-above average, the ending was rushed - but it's a vita game so I can get why they didn't want to delve into the digital world. This thread is here for discussion about the game,no need to create another one, unless you're late to the party and the OT is inactive.
OK fine. I'll post my overall review/impressions of this thread later. It's gonna be a long one. It's not just about spoiler tags, I also didn't want to fill the thread with negativity.

maouvin

Masters Cup is legit (played on Normal). I screwed up a bit by finishing/starting some fights without UlforceVeedramon at the front, but managed to get it to the end.

Now to continue the hunt for the 30 hackers.

I just dedigivolve. Is there another way to get abi?

Dedigivolving is the main way. It's very fast in the endgame when you can fight a single battle in between digivolutions.
There are also (expensive) foods that increase ABI.

If you have too many Digimon and want to get rid of some without wasting their training, I guess you could use that function, but otherwise there's really not much of a reason to do so.

NEO0MJ

I'm finding it so hard to push myself to finish the game, even though I'm so close to the ending. Haven't touched it in almost a week.

Lagamorph

Bloody hell.
Looking at Lucemon's Digivolution requirements, combined with what his ATK and SPD max out at when he hits Level 99, I have no idea how I'm gonna Digivolve him.

Top Bottom