• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

eizarus

Banned
Thanks, I'll probably pick it up soon.

And I absolutely loved Bravely Default and Second. 👌

Just to add to what the others said. For me, there's a slight Persona feel to it too. Especially the Persona/Digimon combining thing (been a while since I've played this, but I think that's what the mechanic was).

This game is getting pretty cheap at retail.

If I know absolutely nothing about Digimon but just want a decent modern JRPG with good combat mechanics is this worth playing?

It is! I had never even so much as looked at a Digimon before, but a local place had it for $13 about a month ago, so I said why not? Finally opened it up two days ago and have put about 12 hours into it so far. Truly a great surprise!

Brother just surprised me with a copy of the game! Really excited to get to play it. Will probably let him go through it first.

General opinions from Digimon fans? I was really excited for the game before release but just haven't been able to purchase it so I just stopped reading about it.

Eylos

Banned
Brother just surprised me with a copy of the game! Really excited to get to play it. Will probably let him go through it first.

General opinions from Digimon fans? I was really excited for the game before release but just haven't been able to purchase it so I just stopped reading about it.

it is the best digimon game

Fucking hype.

Proud of myself and others for signing that petition then.

Anything I should know before starting my game?
Starter doesn't matter, as you can get them all within an hour or two.
Digivolve and dedigivolve to raise ABI.
The type matching between virus, vaccine, and data are absolutely pivotal. If you have the advantage, you'll probably win. If you have the disadvantage you're gonna have a seriously difficult time.

Switch to hard mode once you get a good size party. Default difficulty is just too easy.

Wow, that scalping is brutal. But that brings up a question I had about the Digimon DLC. Is there a reason why it's still available for those that buy it digitally from the UK PSN and not on the US PSN?

Also, are there any other Digimon games that are played like Cyber Sleuth?

Qurupeke

I'm trying to collect the medals from the machines. Is there any better way than repeatedly spending my money there? Some of the medals seem to have insanely low drop rates.

It's like $25 on ebay UK, they must have REALLY undershipped this.

It doesn't help that BWgreymon is a really good peircer.

To be fair, I doubt they expected the game to do nearly as well as it did, even with all the people signing the petition.

Not really sure why they didn't just throw the dlc on the store at some point though.

Qurupeke

I think I'm near the end of the game, Chapter
, after I defeated
Leopardmon
. Should I beat the game and go for New Game+ or should I go for the Platinum first?

Zhao_Yun

I think I'm near the end of the game, Chapter
, after I defeated
Leopardmon
. Should I beat the game and go for New Game+ or should I go for the Platinum first?

You can beat the game first and then take care of the rest of the trophies for the Platinum. The game doesn't force you to enter NG+ after beating it.

Faenix1

Might of found a Day One edition for $58-ish CAD shipped/including estimated import fees. Should I jump on it?

Contacted the seller and waiting for a reply to be sure. For whatever reason I'm tempted, though I was hoping to get it for a cheaper price. Black Agumon/Black Gabumon/Beelzebumon Blast is hard to resist. lol (I'm assuming that's what the day one edition comes with)

Bladenic

I need to get back to this game, I liked what I played (I think I was on chapter 7 or 8) but I guess it didn't hold my attention enough to keep going. I'll get back to it soon.

Might of found a Day One edition for $58-ish CAD shipped/including estimated import fees. Should I jump on it?

Contacted the seller and waiting for a reply to be sure. For whatever reason I'm tempted, though I was hoping to get it for a cheaper price. Black Agumon/Black Gabumon/Beelzebumon Blast is hard to resist. lol (I'm assuming that's what the day one edition comes with)

I mean, if you like Digimon and pretty traditional RPGs, you should like this. It's good fun. Don't expect anything revolutionary, but for the most part it's a pretty solid RPG and collecting all the digimon kept me invested (for a good 30 hours). I didn't even beat it though, need to get back to it.

Faenix1

Does the PS4 work the same as the PS3 in terms of DLC?

I might be getting a day one edition from EU, but that means I'll need to put my EU account on my PS4. I can use the DLC on my main account as long as I have the EU account on my PS4, right?

Vita Remote Play should still work too, yeah?

(All this DLC stuff completely slipped my mind lol. I'd kinda rather have a Day One EU Edition than an NA standard edition but I don't know if it's worth the effort.)

Does the PS4 work the same as the PS3 in terms of DLC?

I might be getting a day one edition from EU, but that means I'll need to put my EU account on my PS4. I can use the DLC on my main account as long as I have the EU account on my PS4, right?

Vita Remote Play should still work too, yeah?

(All this DLC stuff completely slipped my mind lol. I'd kinda rather have a Day One EU Edition than an NA standard edition but I don't know if it's worth the effort.)
Yeah, you'll need a corresponding account. Remote play shouldn't have problems (I believe it's more of a console thing than an account thing, but don't quote me on that)

So I won't have to do anything special to make DLC from EUaccount work on MainNAaccount?
After downloading it from the EU account it should work with every other account in the system I believe. I haven't tried it with this game in particular, so it's probably best to wait on someone who did try it.

Qurupeke

I beat the game and the Royal Knights quests. I made an end game team just before the end and I basically streamrolled everything with Lilithmon,Mastemon and UlforceVeedramon. lol The only challenging part was Omni Sword on Imperialdramon PM, but I managed to survive long enough with one of Mastemon's skills to deal the final blow.

Missing 10 or so medals, a few quests, the 30 online battles and the field guide and then I'm done with the game. I loved it. It wasn't perfect, but it had a pretty good story, nice character and world design and it was generally a decent RPG. It was a fantastic Digimon game though.

Faenix1

After downloading it from the EU account it should work with every other account in the system I believe. I haven't tried it with this game in particular, so it's probably best to wait on someone who did try it.

Anyone with the Day One Edition DLC in EU got an NA account they can test on for me. Rather know for sure it'll work before I import a copy.

Can't believe I didnt think of the DLC region thing until the place that's selling it brought it up.. lol

Anyone with the Day One Edition DLC in EU got an NA account they can test on for me. Rather know for sure it'll work before I import a copy.

Can't believe I didnt think of the DLC region thing until the place that's selling it brought it up.. lol

It shouldn't be an issue as the other person said, set the EU account as primary, redeem dlc,switch to any other account and it'll work. I don't think there's an easy way to check without playing the entire opening segment.

I wonder if we'll ever get another Digimon game of this quality. Maybe even one with a higher budget, though that's wishful thinking.

Also, any tips of having a team that will do well in online battles? My team is full of mega levels yet they seem to do unusually low damage and take unusually high damage against other players.

I wonder if we'll ever get another Digimon game of this quality. Maybe even one with a higher budget, though that's wishful thinking.

Also, any tips of having a team that will do well in online battles? My team is full of mega levels yet they seem to do unusually low damage and take unusually high damage against other players.

Well digimon next order is the next/latest game which should be localised since this was a sleeper hit.
Peircing digimon,they ignore the def stat, which is probably why you're getting hit hard- Wargreymon,Lilithmon,Beelzemon,plesiomon etc . People normally recomend lilithmon.
UlforceVeedramon, allows you to be the first to attack
Mastemon has a move which takes away 25% of remaining hp.
A digimon with status barrier to prevent debuffs - people normally go with marineangemon.
also make sure your team is balanced with vaccine,data,virus .

You can also keep retrying until you get a fight with a bot.

Well digimon next order is the next/latest game which should be localised since this was a sleeper hit.
Peircing digimon,they ignore the def stat, which is probably why you're getting hit hard- Wargreymon,Lilithmon,Beelzemon,plesiomon etc . People normally recomend lilithmon.
UlforceVeedramon, allows you to be the first to attack
Mastemon has a move which takes away 25% of remaining hp.
A digimon with status barrier to prevent debuffs - people normally go with marineangemon.
also make sure your team is balanced with vaccine,data,virus .

You can also keep retrying until you get a fight with a bot.

Piercing is only attached to certain moves like black tornado right? It seems even their regular attacks do alot though. Should I make a team with all piercing to deal with annoyingly high defense?

Piercing is only attached to certain moves like black tornado right? It seems even their regular attacks do alot though. Should I make a team with all piercing to deal with annoyingly high defense?

Yep, it's only on certain moves. Having all digimon with peircing moves would definitely help, I'm not familiar with what the meta game looks like atm.

When the game was released people were steamrolling with ulforce+lilithmon+BWgreymon(or another lilithmon) . I assume people found a way to counter this , rosemon blast mode is another data type peircer people were saying was good when she was released.

My problem with recent Digimon games is that they don't respect the power of evolutions. A rookie Digimon should only be able to defeat another rookie Digimon or below (At full power maybe a champion). But when a rookie is able to go 1v1 with a Mega... you know something is not right.

Yep, it's only on certain moves. Having all digimon with peircing moves would definitely help, I'm not familiar with what the meta game looks like atm.

When the game was released people were steamrolling with ulforce+lilithmon+BWgreymon(or another lilithmon) . I assume people found a way to counter this , rosemon blast mode is another data type peircer people were saying was good when she was released.

I have all of those except lillithmon. Also what do you mean by bots?

Frimaire

Is it just me, or is the translation kinda... weird in this game?
A lot of the player-character dialogue choices seem to barely make any sense.
Maybe your character is just supposed to be a bit of a weirdo, sometimes npcs actually react accordingly...
Not really a translation issue, but I've also noticed that sometimes when you have a dialogue option, it's just one phrase split up into two or three lines as opposed to 3 separate phrases.

My problem with recent Digimon games is that they don't respect the power of evolutions. A rookie Digimon should only be able to defeat another rookie Digimon or below (At full power maybe a champion). But when a rookie is able to go 1v1 with a Mega... you know something is not right.
Digimon Xross Wars did the same thing. Its only a few cases where rookies can beat megas, there have been cases of strong rookies,champions etc in the other animes beating higher level digimon.Lucemon for example is correctly strong

I have all of those except lillithmon. Also what do you mean by bots?
Robots, you can fight AI in the battle colliseum (you can on vita at least).
Is it just me, or is the translation kinda... weird in this game?
A lot of the player-character dialogue choices seem to barely make any sense.
Maybe your character is just supposed to be a bit of a weirdo, sometimes npcs actually react accordingly...
Not really a translation issue, but I've also noticed that sometimes when you have a dialogue option, it's just one phrase split up into two or three lines as opposed to 3 separate phrases.

Its a known issue, it was a low budget port.

Just found this thread and was in the mood for a pokemon game so i am checking this out instead and... it looks like it may scratch that itch (even though i barely watched the cartoon back in the day lol)

Is there a consensus (without having to read through the whole thread) on which version to get, PS4 or Vita? Any problems with either?

Just found this thread and was in the mood for a pokemon game so i am checking this out instead and... it looks like it may scratch that itch (even though i barely watched the cartoon back in the day lol)

Is there a consensus (without having to read through the whole thread) on which version to get, PS4 or Vita? Any problems with either?

You don't really need to know anything about Digimon past the standard evolution system. Although you need to de-digivolve digimo to raise their max level and digivolve them back which is unique to digimon story games I guess.

The Ps4 version runs much smoother & has faster load times but hat's it, the vita version runs perfectly fine and is great for playing whenever you want (I have both). If i could recommend one I'd say the PS4, but that's just personal preference(& the smoother framerate) & me not using my vita for a month or two now.

Digimon Xross Wars did the same thing. Its only a few cases where rookies can beat megas, there have been cases of strong rookies,champions etc in the other animes beating higher level digimon.Lucemon for example is correctly strong

Yep, but I only saw the first two seasons. I still remember when Wargreymon appeared, it was like seeing Goku transform into super sayayin for the first time. Now imagine that scene where Wargreymon defeated MetalSeadramon, but instead of a MetalSeadramon it was a Seadramon, or even worst, a Gekkomon. That's the feeling I am getting with the new Digimons. I think Digimon World for the PSOne did it great!

Top Bottom