• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] A Plague Tale Requiem - 60FPS Performance Tested - PS5 vs Xbox Series X

yes it will, it will feel way better in fact.

yes it does.

I said the 60 DOES feel more fluid!

However ..

Plague Tale Requiem at 60 fps does NOT have higher fidelity than it does in its 30-40 fps mode .. you know. It's "fidelity" mode?

Same goes for Horizon FW, Ratchet, Miles Morales etc because their graphics are all set lower in their 60 fps modes. ESPECIALLY PLague Tale because the cutbacks are more severe than the games I just mentioned.

Graphical FIDELITY vs FLUIDITY. You guys are talking about fluidity. I know you believe framerate makes graphics better but they still have worse graphical fidelity, lower resolution, more aliasing and artifacts, lower shadows, less geometry, worse lods etc

Banned
I said the 60 DOES feel more fluid!

However ..

Plague Tale Requiem at 60 fps does NOT have higher fidelity than it does in its 30-40 fps mode .. you know. It's "fidelity" mode?

Same goes for Horizon FW, Ratchet, Miles Morales etc because their graphics are all set lower in their 60 fps modes. ESPECIALLY PLague Tale because the cutbacks are more severe than the games I just mentioned.

Graphical FIDELITY vs FLUIDITY. You guys are talking about fluidity. I know you believe framerate makes graphics better but they still have worse graphical fidelity, lower resolution, more aliasing and artifacts, lower shadows, less geometry, worse lods etc

motion fidelity is a thing. and higher framerates increase motion fidelity.
fidelity of controls is increased as well.
I made a whole thread about why modern games mostly suck at 30fps.

anything that is interactive benefits more from temporal fidelity than from increased graphics settings

BTW I'm not one of the people who wants to return to 30 fps just so we can get next gen looking games. 60 fps is far too important to gameplay and, since I play on Oled it's important to be able to play most games without the judder that Oleds get in 30 fps games.

However, certain games I do play at 30 fps still. If the dev does a great job with motion blur and keeping the input lag nice and low, I'll deal with 30fps to get the next gen experience I'm looking for in certain games.

Our eyes DO a good job adjusting to 30 fps, even on an Oled, but you have to stick to 30 fps for at least 10 min to adjust to it. Most people who "can't play anymore at 30fps", flip back and forth in the span of minutes and throw their hands in the air. "See! I knew 30 fps is so bad. I can't play this way anymore!" LOL.

Horizon fw, spiderman, ratchet, forza horizon 5, last of us 1/uncharted are games that do a great job with motion blur and input delay so I tend to play them at 30 or 40 fps.

Cyberpunk, Control, demon's Souls are games I refuse to play at 30. Those devs fucked up when making those modes and it's unfortunate. Ray Tracing adds input lag when not implemented well.

I'm hoping we get Mid gen refreshes so I don't have to compromise as much. GoW Ragnarok struck a good balance. That's a game I wouldn't want to play at 30.

Lokaum D+

1080p

MOzXxPF.jpg

motion fidelity is a thing. and higher framerates increase motion fidelity.
fidelity of controls is increased as well.
I made a whole thread about why modern games mostly suck at 30fps.

anything that is interactive benefits more from temporal fidelity than from increased graphics settings

While true that's also 100% your opinion. That because its interactive motion fidelity trumps all else. It's all a game by game basis for me. Plague Tale I'll take a solid 40 fps with such better settings than 60. I understand other people would gladly accept the downgrade for 60.

Motion fidelity is diff than graphical fidelity tho so we're talking about 2 different things

Banned
Motion fidelity is diff than graphical fidelity tho so we're talking about 2 different things

not really. what usually goes hand in hand with low framerates? motion blur. and not only the actual motion blur implemented by the game.
less frames = less temporal information for the TAA and/or image reconstruction.

less temporal information for any part of the final image that relies on it will turn into more artifacts and, usually, that means ghost images and blur.

higher resolutions and detail are great if you stand still and do nothing, but in motion many of it will be lost.
at higher framerates more of the detail remains stable and clean.

so these are 2 kinds of fidelity, but they affect eachother, image quality can suffer from low framerates

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1440p/40 FPS translating to 1080p/120hz is more than an adequate compromise. The reduction in assets and LoD is the bigger issue.

If I had never played this game before, I would absolutely have dug in the FPS mode, but since I've already played the 40hz mode, the things cut out are going to stick out more to me.

not really. what usually goes hand in hand with low framerates? motion blur. and not only the actual motion blur implemented by the game.
less frames = less temporal information for the TAA and/or image reconstruction.

less temporal information for any part of the final image that relies on it will turn into more artifacts and, usually, that means ghost images and blur.

higher resolutions and detail are great if you stand still and do nothing, but in motion many of it will be lost.
at higher framerates more of the detail remains stable and clean.

so these are 2 kinds of fidelity, but they affect eachother, image quality can suffer from low framerates

Higher resolution and better graphics at 30 fps is still higher resolution and better graphics than 60 fps with higher fluidity and lower everything else. End of discussion. You can have your opinion on which is preferable. I don't know how this is even debatable

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I didn't need DF to know that the framerate was unlocked, but at least this serves to confirm it for people who for some strange reason are unable to notice performance differences.
The game finally became playable for me with this update. I tried the 40fps mode at launch, and there's no way I can be convinced that it's a valid alternative to 60fps or above.

Yeah.. i can only assume the people that cant handle the 60 fps drawbacks convinced thenselfs that 40 fps is so much better than 30 fps .. is almost a placebo effect to my eyes ... 40 fps is so much closer to 30 fps than to 60 fps is not even a contest.

Tried now with Horizon: FW and Ratchet and Clanck rift apart... and 40 fps is almost as shitty as 30 fps (imo of course).

TrebleShot

This is a slow paced, methodical game, so the 40/30fps mode works very well, however the 60 is lovely the image quality isnt too bad either.
I played in 40fps originally which was a bit hit or miss, so hopefully its a bit more stable now?

Has anyone played enough of it with rats on screen to see if it hits 40 more consistantly?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yeah.. i can only assume the people that cant handle the 60 fps drawbacks convinced thenselfs that 40 fps is so much better than 30 fps .. is almost a placebo effect to my eyes ... 40 fps is so much closer to 30 fps than to 60 fps is not even a contest.

Tried now with Horizon: FW and Ratchet and Clanck rift apart... and 40 fps is almost as shitty as 30 fps (imo of course).

Ding ding diiinggg ! exactly !

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that 40fps modes should be renamed to "OLED 30fps mode®"😁 since it gives the same "feel" of 30fps games of LCD/LED since "plain" 30fps, on OLED, is a juddery and stuttery mess.

I thought that 40fps would have been a good compromise between graphics/performance but...nope, it's just feels and looks like good ol' 30fps on OLED.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Ding ding diiinggg ! exactly !

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that 40fps modes should be renamed to "OLED 30fps mode®"😁 since it gives the same "feel" of 30fps games of LCD/LED since "plain" 30fps, on OLED, is a juddery and stuttery mess.

I thought that 40fps would have been a good compromise between graphics/performance but...nope, it's just feels and looks like good ol' 30fps on OLED.

I know we didn't play with 60 fps back in the day (talking about consoles) but now I really think that games are developed with 60 fps in mind .. just got the platinum trophy on Rift Apart and really cant imagine playing this game with slow frame rate ... enemies are flying arround 360 and shit coming at you fast from all angles ... cant grasp been able to play this shit in slow motion frames.

Kudos to the ones that endure this 30/40 fps modes but I just cant anymore .... less effects and resolution really dont bother me that much and if Im not looking for differences my eyes just dont find them... this gen for me is 60 fps ... dont mind the rest... give me pro consoles so I can enjoy the eye candy too at some level .. until them 60 fps is my eye candy

Top Bottom