• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!

Tom and D dark10x team up break down the latest CoD release, this one on NG consoles.

From DF YT:

Black Ops Cold War ranks among the best ways to showcase the next-gen PS5 and Xbox Series X hardware at launch. A strong performing 120Hz mode and ray-traced shadows both feature - in a package that's all round surprising for its polish in its frame-rate delivery. Tom and John team up to pick out the advantages of each console release - and also the fate of the Series S version.

Thank you to Backtrace for sponsoring Digital Foundry and this video. Backtrace's error reporting platform automates the process of capturing crashes, hangs and fatal errors -- so game developers can find and fix bugs before their players complain.

Click here - https://hubs.la/H0BgHZ_0 - and sign up for a free trial today.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Good luck, and may Satan have mercy on your souls.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Summary incoming:

Praise for the RT shadows, overall very good looking launch COD game and runs/looks great on both consoles
4k/60/RT mode seems to favor the XsX
120fps mode seems to favor PS5, seems to hover around 1200p on both consoles in this mode

If someone posts in depth summary I will quote you here, I am having some technical difficulties at the moment

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Seems like it might be about equal, xbox does better in the 60 fps mode with raytracing but the 120 mode its ps5 that comes out ahead.

All in all a very good game on both.
So yer again kinda like parity, and they say the dual sense is very special.

I would probably say on evidence and just some of the better features that ps5 offers, any form of performance parity is a loss for Xbox.

this is another win for the Ps5. although closer.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm a bit weirded out that this game runs so much better than it does on my PC with an RTX 3080 :/ (running from SSD)

At the start of the Da Nang mission, at the heli landing zone, my framerates are between 45-58 FPS all the time, no matter if I have DLSS on or off, no matter if I lower all the settings to medium... But my CPU and GPU are both bored, at like 40% usage. Does the PC port run on the Arma engine or what?

Edit: Oh wait, it drops to like 30 FPS with RT on? Ok, 3080 purchase validated xD

Last edited:

urmie

Game looks amazing on both consoles. Most of us don't have the latest TVs for 120, so 4K/60 over a lower resolution/less detail/120 all day. Thanks DF!

I am a bit disappointed on how DF treats the Series S. Whenever Switch multiplats underperformed, you always heard "well it's impressive for a portable". Well for the price of entry, the Series S is still "impressive for the price", can run these latest games decently enough.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Game looks amazing on both consoles. Most of us don't have the latest TVs for 120 ,so 4K/60 over a lower resolution/less detail/120 all day. Thanks DF!

I am a bit disappointed on how DF treats the Series S. Whenever Switch multiplats underperformed, you always heard "well it's impressive for a portable". Well for the price of entry, the Series S is still "impressive for the price", can run these latest games decently enough.

It's not. For $100 more you can get a PS5. Series S is a useless device and will hopefully be gone in a couple years.

aries_71

I always marvel at dynamic resolution. I remember times when changes the resolution in the settings was a big deal and you even needed to restart the game. Now, games able to do that on the fly...Amazin :messenger_fire:
It’s not exactly the same. They change the internal resolution buffer, but the screen doesn’t change resolution.

Top Bottom