• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!

THEAP99

Banned
ray tracing in this game is nonexistient. i did comparisons it was barely noticeable and the implementation was not good

let us also keep in mind that the ps5 has the dualsense, and playstation exclusive content for this game.

Last edited:
bZkxboK.jpg
Thats not a gameplay that's cutscene . Once game starts it goes back to 60

It’s not exactly the same. They change the internal resolution buffer, but the screen doesn’t change resolution.
Interesting. Though I know nothing about game engines.

Those Series S do look quite bad. Well, I guess the money/performance ratio makes up for that a bit. Performance is not free.
It lacks RT. XSX has RT on the right, S - doesn't.

Last edited:
Yes, very slight edge for PS5, overall I think Series X runs this game a bit better, but both perform well enough that nobody will actually care.

I hesitate to say it's a W for team green, more like a W for gamers.

its no edge at all for ps if its a single drop in one scene. Thats nothing. Its esentially the same at 120 but xbox has a giant lead in Rt. Seems like a slam dunk for xbox on this one

Interesting i think we all know that due to extra cu on series x it would so well for raytracing and considering ps5 only has 32cu and only drops to around 40fps mark thats still quite remarkable! And with 120fps mode ps5 pretty much shines on this one. So to me id call this a draw

Patrick S.

Banned
Interesting. Though I know nothing about game engines.

It lacks RT. XSX has RT on the right, S - doesn't.

Yeah, I do see that. It's still respectable for a €300 machine, IMO. It's not a console I'd buy for myself, but for someone who can't spend €500 on a high end console, it's a good option.

SCB3

Game looks amazing on both consoles. Most of us don't have the latest TVs for 120, so 4K/60 over a lower resolution/less detail/120 all day. Thanks DF!

I am a bit disappointed on how DF treats the Series S. Whenever Switch multiplats underperformed, you always heard "well it's impressive for a portable". Well for the price of entry, the Series S is still "impressive for the price", can run these latest games decently enough.

That's cause Switch is being sold as a portable first, home console second

The Series S is pretty much an Xbox One X with a SSD and locked to 1440p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Interesting i think we all know that due to extra cu on series x it would so well for raytracing and considering ps5 only has 32cu and only drops to around 40fps mark thats still quite remarkable! And with 120fps mode ps5 pretty much shines on this one. So to me id call this a draw
Now we are applying handicaps to these comparisons lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Resolution - Both use a dynamic resolution. 3840x2160 and can drop all the way down to 1800p. Horizontal res can chop in half sometimes when things are really taxing.
RT Enabled - Xbox Series X holds a consistent 60fps. Playstation 5 only dips during a few select scenes.
120HZ Enabled - PlayStation 5 has more consistent frame-rate.

Mind you this scene has been mentioned by vgtech a probably bug but listen here we already started to say it's because series X is more powerful. Ok.
Watch the video. They say that both machines are almost identical in performance in 120 mode with the exception of one scene where the xbox dives. In Contrast with 60 fps RT mode they are the same about 95% of the time with the PS5 suffering drops the other 5%. Substantial... no, but more than one occurrence.

Some people (almost Sony Fanboys) forgot about their Hobby = Gaming. Sry when Pixel and framerates to hate another console than you need another hobby. Be a Gamer👍

Top Bottom