• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!

urmie

John literally states outside some hitches, the game runs beautifully on both consoles. For most gamers, the game gets a thumbs up. Zealots want to focus on a mode most won't even use and act like things can't be patched.

Capcom fixed 120 mode on DMC5 for PS5.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
bZkxboK.jpg
According to VG Tech, this drop is random on the PlayStation 5.

EteydWB.png
jrYcLre.png

Seems like it might be about equal, xbox does better in the 60 fps mode with raytracing but the 120 mode its ps5 that comes out ahead.

All in all a very good game on both.
So yer again kinda like parity, and they say the dual sense is very special.

I would probably say on evidence and just some of the better features that ps5 offers, any form of performance parity is a loss for Xbox.

this is another win for the Ps5. although closer.
Clear win for Xbox because reasons.
Am I doing it right?

Watch the video. They say that both machines are almost identical in performance in 120 mode with the exception of one scene where the xbox dives. In Contrast with 60 fps RT mode they are the same about 95% of the time with the PS5 suffering drops the other 5%. Substantial... no, but more than one occurrence.

Thanks for the summary. Seems like both are pretty close to each other.

The same bottleneck for Xbox when pushing high framerates. Does the CPU lack the customizations of the PS5? Is it memory bandwidth related (no Infinity Cache-like system that was rumoured on PS5)?

Yeah, I do see that. It's still respectable for a €300 machine, IMO. It's not a console I'd buy for myself, but for someone who can't spend €500 on a high end console, it's a good option.
I think RT will eventually come to XSS. In first parties for sure, but we'll see.
I doubt those who buy XSS - like me - bother about that.

On Demand

Banned
It will be very difficult for SX to claim any win in these comparisons since the PS5 can easily match and surpass it in graphics and performance.

Far from what we’ve been lead to believe all these months about SX monster 12TF and PS5 trolling its 10TF and clock speed which it supposedly would never reach.

Any type of parity is a win for PS5.

Mr Moose

Seems great on both, the tools must've kicked in on the Series X (kidding, kinda).
I am tempted to buy it, haven't missed a CoD on release day in years until this one, is it any good?
How come no RT or 120Hz mode on Series S? It can do RT and 120Hz, was it disabled for performance?

Blood Borne

PS5 maintaining parity or even better than XSX in some games such as this, is a testament to Cerny and his team’s expertise. Bravo.

XSS continues to be an embarrassment, no 120FPS, no RT. It is a last gen console. Its performance is hardly any different from Xbox One X.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I am replaying all cod games campaigns (starting with cod4) and now I am no Ghost. It's surprisingly good. Looks great at 4k with 4xTXAA too.
MW and MW2 were awesome but aged a lot.
MW3 was kinda bad and worse looking.
World at War was only good in Russian missions
Black Ops is awesome,
Black Ops 2 is a mess of bad story and weird gameplay aside from few cool Missions with Harper.
That's it so far. I remember Infinite Warfare being my fav and bo3 being trash. But I also remember Ghost being trash and now I kinda like it...

Funny how you didn't bother quoting where he says right after that other than those scenes, it's a perfect 60fps most of the time.
It's not my words, be salty about it all you like. Just like all the cherry picked screenshots of Xbox being low in 120fps mode when it's literally a split second drop and they are near identical 99% of the time, i don't see you calling that stuff out.

Top Bottom