• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - PS5/ Xbox Series X|S/ PC - Is Performance Fixed?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This performance is clearly the priority of many developers and almost all Japanese developers have: PS5 > Xbox > PC. The less money you make in a market the less you care. It is another candidate to “buy it in November with the Pro”. Disgusting, but at least they are finally called out by an outlet with relative weight. Late. Very late because their ratio of money making invested in performance has been unacceptable since DS2. But better late than never.

This is probably the last AAA game's topic to say this in :messenger_grinning_sweat:

zeroluck

Learn to unlock the FPS on PC, 120+ at all time, flawless except some shader stutter. Ultrawide already works but they deliberately render black border when selecting an ultrawide resolution lmao.

Radical_3d

Sure about that?
Well, no XD in Japan Xbox is a smaller market than PC but lately PC ports are getting very few love. Expecting the player base to brute force the shortcomings of their engines. The streamlined nature and the dedicated hardware for asset streaming of the Xbox is saving it from being laugh stock like that Ryzen 3600 with 4060 (arguably a better hardware and yet worst performance) of the video.

This is probably the last AAA game's topic to say this in :messenger_grinning_sweat:
lmao my English is bad. The performance shows the preference. There is not a preference for performance nor beauty in From.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Series X:
- Typically 45 to 60 FPS and SX runs 5 to 8 FPS lower than PS5 in major settlements and in some areas they match
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

winjer

if this is not a Fromsoft game, people would be trashing it already.

heard the PC version is trash

It's not. The PC version runs very well here.
With none of the issues that DF shows. The only time I see performance drop from 60 fps, is when there are many alpha effects. But that is rare.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With none of the issues that DF shows. The only time I see performance drop from 60 fps, is when there are many alpha effects. But that is rare.

As someone whose only major exposure to the PC version is this DF video, Alex sure made it sound like it's pretty damn unoptimized.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Depends for who. Lots of complaints on the Steam forums. For me, all these issues used to happen at launch but disappeared after a few patches.

damidu

nah, ill go with video evidence and from's decade old track record for shit performance, thanks

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

comments says otherwise though

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Shit performance still, but ofc they get a hard pass for it as always. 2 years later they improved nothing.

That's because some of us actually play games and enjoy them, rather than wanking off to frame-pacing and acting like the video game version of Rain Man.

Last edited:

winjer

comments says otherwise though

I know that the game is running well on my machine.
But I also know that I have it properly configured. Unlike what DF has on their PCs.
I have seen a lot of people having problems for a myriad of reasons. From having a ton of programs and services running in the background. Having several overlays at the same time.
Not configuring their timers. Outdated drivers. Having HPET disabled in the UEFI. Not disabling stuff like Control Flow Guard, or Gamebar, or Fullscreen Optimizations.
Not configuring the game's exe to run with DPI scaling. Or having a heavy security suite that sthals the system. Not removing the bloatware that MS installs by default with Windows. Or the bloatware that comes with pre-builts.
And so many more things.

FFS, DF has a 3600 that has a memory latency of 90ns, by their own measurement. The normal value for this should be 70ns.
So no wonder they are having performance issues. Whatever is the reason for it. Be it the memory that is not set correctly, or some programs that are hogging the system to the point of losing so much performance.

Just yesterday I was browsing the steam forums. And there was a thread about a guy having performance issues with the game. Of course he was. The dumb ass turned RT on, on a 4060 8GB. Who knows what else he screwed up on his own machine.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
wbyLK7T.gif

For the Blue guys....

Until the PC version gets more updates.

Pro will help at least with being a higher resolution plus RT.
i think the pro will stabilize the fps to locked 60 fps on performance at least? dont think elden ring is a cpu intensive game? i could be wrong.

Larxia

From still haven't added an option to disable the fucking chromatic aberration or vignette after all this time. They have great designers, but their technical team is garbage.
Exactly what I was about to say...
I still haven't played the game because of this. Yes I know it might seem exagerated to some people, but I really can't stand chromatic aberration at all, I already have some of it with my glasses (nearsighted), I don't need an aditional layer in games, it just makes it uncomfortable to play.

I was hoping this update would bring a toggle for this, because in the first trailer for the DLC, there wasn't chromatic aberration, but sadly... still no option.

I could decide to play the game and mod it to remove that and the vignette, but I didn't want to miss all the online features, so... I just never played it so far :messenger_downcast_sweat:

T-0800

I'm only encountering a freeze every once in while for a second. usually when loading a large new area. Otherwise pretty rock solid 60 fps. The pop-in is a joke, though.
Another reason to play the PS4 version on PS5. The pop in on PS5 native mode is very distracting and there are no such issues playing the PS4 version on PS5 though.

Pedro Motta

I know that the game is running well on my machine.
But I also know that I have it properly configured. Unlike what DF has on their PCs.
I have seen a lot of people having problems for a myriad of reasons. From having a ton of programs and services running in the background. Having several overlays at the same time.
Not configuring their timers. Outdated drivers. Having HPET disabled in the UEFI. Not disabling stuff like Control Flow Guard, or Gamebar, or Fullscreen Optimizations.
Not configuring the game's exe to run with DPI scaling. Or having a heavy security suite that sthals the system. Not removing the bloatware that MS installs by default with Windows. Or the bloatware that comes with pre-builts.
And so many more things.

FFS, DF has a 3600 that has a memory latency of 90ns, by their own measurement. The normal value for this should be 70ns.
So no wonder they are having performance issues. Whatever is the reason for it. Be it the memory that is not set correctly, or some programs that are hogging the system to the point of losing so much performance.

Just yesterday I was browsing the steam forums. And there was a thread about a guy having performance issues with the game. Of course he was. The dumb ass turned RT on, on a 4060 8GB. Who knows what else he screwed up on his own machine.
This is why console gaming is important.

//DEVIL//

I have to say... Technically ( on PC at least ) this game is absolute dog shit and people shouldn't give them a cent. just to give a nice msg to these shitty devs ( technical devs responsible for optimization )

The game looks like a PS4 game at best. there is absolutely not a single reason why it shouldn't be locked on 4k 144 frames on a 3080/3090. let alone more expensive GPUs ( and still perform like shit even on these GPUs and high-end CPUs )

this is an absolute joke at this point.

Shitty devs. shitty game optimization. zero money should be given them.

Note. do not go ape shit crazy on this post if you are one of those die-hard freaks of the Souls game. this is not about the gameplay/art style itself because that is just stunning.

But when it comes to technical performance? yeah, they should be fired. They have been this lazy for years now. no excuse. Zero tolerance to be honest either.

winjer

This is why console gaming is important.

With great power, comes great responsibility.
The advantage of a console is that it's really to plug and play.
PC's are more powerful and customizable, but there is a ton of margin for user error. Or for programs to have conflicts.

For example, in the Steam forums, a guy was complaining that one program he was using (UltraViewer ) was causing the performance drops, because it was conflicting with Easy AntiCheat.
And it seems that EAC has conflicts with several other similar programs. Sometimes, it even identifies false positives as cheats, and terminates programs like Corsair's iCue.
You can be certain that for most people, the problem they are having is some conflict with EAC.

I don't have any programs starting up with Windows. I disable them all, and only run programs when I need them.
But a lot of people will just run everything as default. And this means a ton of useless services and programs running in the background.
And all these programs take memory and CPU cycles. Some more than others, but when things ad up, it can be problematic.
Worst yet, it can cause conflicts, which then leads to performance issues and instability.

It also doesn't help that MS now packs as much spyware and bloatware into Windows, as a cheap Chinese phone.
Back in the days of Windows 7, I could reinstall the OS in half an hour. And then all it took was to install drivers.
Today, with Windows 11, it takes close to 2 hours. There is so much crap to remove, tweak or change, just to make it a usable OS.
And I know that most people will not do anything and just run their PCs as default, with over 200 services running in the background.
And of course things will eventually go wrong, with performance issues and instability. Then they blame the devs for some game, bot the complete clusterfuck that it's their own PCs.

And DF is very likely to have the same problem with their PCs. It's not normal for a 3600 to have 90ns of memory latency.
It's very likely they have so much crap running in the background, that it screws up with the performance of the whole system.

Regginator

The vanilla game was pretty damn solid when you played the PS4 version on a PS5, a pretty rock-solid 60fps in my experience with some very rare drops. But with SotE (PS4 version on PS5 as well) I've experienced tons of noticeable frame-rate drops, of which quite a few heavy ones. This is exacerbated during most of the boss fights where From has REALLY gone all out with even faster and even more combos with usually even heavier AoE attacks involved. If it's this noticable on PS5 (with the PS4 version), I shudder to think what the other versions play like, especially on PC.

All in all it's very playable, and I'm having a blast so far. In terms of exploration and atmosphere it's top-tier again, but I'm not loving most of the bosses so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom