• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree Releases June 21, 2024 | Pre Orders Now Available

DemWalls

Art design destroys graphical fidelity every single time.

See also Tears Of The Kingdom.

But when you can have both...

I'm more than fine with the technical side of From games (for reference, I am a weirdo who prefers how the first Witcher game looks compared to the sequels), but I can understand if someone wishes for them to be also more technically advanced, especially now that they are not a "small" developer anymore.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

jesus tittyfucking christ :messenger_astonished::messenger_astonished::messenger_astonished:

Fake

But when you can have both...

No, you can't. They are both fight each other in the game, so the game end up getting inconsistences.

Not to mention putting graphic fidelity on an art direction game not only break the art direction, but increase the budget.

Sony tried to force MIYHO into add ray tracing into Genshin Impact, but they refuse saying would mess up the art direction, affect the game performance and increase the cost of game dev.

I miss the days of no internet and getting my news from game magazines. Nothing can be fun anymore, people just have to shit on everything.
That's because most human beings are miserable pieces of shit that want nothing more than to bring everyone else down. The internet has done so many wonderful things for our world but man its connected soo many shitty and useless people too..double edged sword.

DemWalls

No, you can't. They are both fight each other in the game, so the game end up getting inconsistences.

Not to mention putting graphic fidelity on an art direction game not only break the art direction, but increase the budget.

Sony tried to force MIYHO into add ray tracing into Genshin Impact, but they refuse saying would mess up the art direction, affect the game performance and increase the cost of game dev.

Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding? I don't think anyone is saying From should patch in advanced graphical features to their already released games (even though they already did it when they added RT to Elden Ring, as middling as that implementation was), since as you say the results may not be great. However, I think it's fair to say that they could aim higher for their next games, since they probably can afford it now more than ever.

gtabro

Jjq3usj.png

I mean Sekiro had what ER Collectors and Shadow of the Erdtree have - a book and a statue - AND a map - AND coins (heavy and good quality at that) - AND a steel book.

How much was ALL that goodness? $90

Fast forward to Elden Ring (which I played to death and love, but let's be fair), and its collector's - do the above minus the truly unique stuff like the coins and map. And DOUBLE the price. Them fans are gonna pay anyway. Now do the same with a FUCKING DLC and nearly TRIPLE the price lmao :messenger_tears_of_joy: Gotta give it to the FROM business guys, they really know how to mooch off of the fans.

Also, and that's a personal preference, but I don't care about statues in CE's, easily the most useless thing to me. And if that new guy is going to be the same cheating anime bullshit like Malenia (who I did beat solo but is the single worst boss From has ever done, mainly because at least you could track the weapon of your enemy before, and this is just a random hit box that activates instantly LUL :messenger_tears_of_joy: )...

...then you can keep your dumb statue guys, I don't need a reminder of how shit of a boss you can really create when you put your minds to it :messenger_clapping::messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
Radahn's Greatswords are just so badass and hit so hard. I have a very hard time using anything else on my main character.

But I also haven't beaten many of the toughest endgame bosses, and I suspect these giant swords may not be great in those fights. Anyone know if they are viable?

Anytime I swap to something else it feels like I'm hitting with a popsicle stick. Obviously upgrading the weapons matters but the mats are hard to come by. Do I need to swap and upgrade a new weapon ASAP?

Fake

Radahn's Greatswords are just so badass and hit so hard. I have a very hard time using anything else on my main character.

But I also haven't beaten many of the toughest endgame bosses, and I suspect these giant swords may not be great in those fights. Anyone know if they are viable?

Anytime I swap to something else it feels like I'm hitting with a popsicle stick. Obviously upgrading the weapons matters but the mats are hard to come by. Do I need to swap and upgrade a new weapon ASAP?

There are many type of swords dude.

Are you talking about great swords or colossal swords?

Heavy weapons are not normally recommended to beat bosses, always depends of whatever the boss have high pose status.

If I would guess, the DLC bosses will be faster than the base game bosses, besides the dead body can boss.

There are many type of swords dude.

Are you talking about great swords or colossal swords?
Radahn's Greatsword

Called Starscourge Greatsword I guess.

It's awesome. But I probably need something less bulky. Is Blasphemous Blade still considered top tier?

Fake

Called Starscourge Greatsword I guess.

It's awesome. But I probably need something less bulky. Is Blasphemous Blade still considered top tier?

I know you are using Radahn sword, but you put swords at plural, so I assumed you are using more swords than Radahn pair sword.

Blasphemous Blade is a good great sword, not to best. You heal HP when you defeat an opponent.

You need to tell what are you looking for in a sword and maybe I can get you an answer.

I know you are using Radahn sword, but you put swords at plural, so I assumed you are using more swords than Radahn pair sword.

Blasphemous Blade is a good great sword, not to best. You heal HP when you defeat an opponent.

You need to tell what are you looking for in a sword and maybe I can get you an answer.
Sorry, you can dual wield them, so I put a plural. That's on me.

But yea, just that one sword mostly. I love the stagger it causes enemies and how much damage it does. Awesome moveset, aesthetically badass. I'm a simple man. So I'm not looking for anything different than what I'm already getting. Just wondering if I'll get utterly crushed by these endgame bosses by using it.

If I end up not being able to use my preferred sword I guess what'd I'd be looking for is the best weapon for endgame bosses for a mediocre player using a Strength/Faith build. Level ~110

Last edited:

Fake

Sorry, you can dual wield them, so I put a plural. That's on me.

But yea, just that one sword mostly. I love the stagger it causes enemies and how much damage it does. Awesome moveset, aesthetically badass. I'm a simple man. So I'm not looking for anything different than what I'm already getting. Just wondering if I'll get utterly crushed by these endgame bosses by using them.

If I end up not being able to use my preferred sword I guess what'd I'd be looking for is the best weapon for endgame bosses for a mediocre player using a Strength/Faith build. Level ~110

You will be probably be crushed by late game DLC bosses, but if you are looking for a faith/strength sword I guess the Elden Beast greatsword is a great option, if not one the best great swords close to the Dung eater greatsword.
Another option is the Twin greatsword from 'D' twin brother.

I like the Radahn Sword (I use myself), but the problem with those are the reach/range, they have poor reach and you can end up missing some swings here and there. And as I mention before, greatswords and colossal swords are great for exploration, but not so against bosses because bosses usually have higher poise status and low breach to you to attack.

You will be probably be crushed by late game DLC bosses, but if you are looking for a faith/strength sword I guess the Elden Beast greatsword is a great option, if not one the best great swords close to the Dung eater greatsword.
Another option is the Twin greatsword from 'D' twin brother.

I like the Radahn Sword (I use myself), but the problem with those are the reach/range, they have poor reach and you can end up missing some swings here and there. And as I mention before, greatswords and colossal swords are great for exploration, but not so against bosses because bosses usually have higher poise status and low breach to you to attack.
Much obliged!

Colossal weapons are viable in endgame, the regular greatsword (which is also colossal) also kicks ass with a heavy infusion. If you want something that's still str-based but is a little bit quicker you could look into the great stars or iron greatsword.

Every weapon is viable - and those swords especially so. Just gotta practice!

Saber

Gold Member

This is very interesting.

This is overcomplexing something that could be realistic simple.
Miyazaki could literally be saying that high level characters will encounter a level cap. That means this do not affect low level ones.
Let's say that once you reach this Shadow realm the level cap is 20~30. Doesn't matter if you're 130 or 200, you gonna be all over to level 20~30. And if you're lower than the level cap, you would be possibilly "experience the challenge of taking on a threat at lower level".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is overcomplexing something that could be realistic simple.
Miyazaki could literally be saying that high level characters will encounter a level cap. That means this do not affect low level ones.
Let's say that once you reach this Shadow realm the level cap is 20~30. Doesn't matter if you're 130 or 200, you gonna be all over to level 20~30. And if you're lower than the level cap, you would be possibilly "experience the challenge of taking on a threat at lower level".
But with this new system we have new progression because most people coming to the DLC already completed their build.

Saber

Gold Member
But with this new system we have new progression because most people coming to the DLC already completed their build.

The progression could still work in a similar way he talks. Once you beat a boss your level cap increases.
Not saying that what he says is wrong, it's all possibility since Miyazaki likes Sekiro. Just saying that could end up being something relativelly simple instead.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The progression could still work in a similar way he talks. Once you beat a boss your level cap increases.
Not saying that what he says is wrong, it's all possibility since Miyazaki likes Sekiro. Just saying that could end up being something relativelly simple instead.
Sure but maybe he wanted try something new with this expansion compare to pervious expansions he worked on, we just have to see once we have more information.

Last edited:

SCB3

ugh, so I decided to double dip and get ER on Steam, got to Margit fine again and then he's wrecking me, I cannot defend against long wind up attacks at all still and I've beatnen pretty much every Souls like

Its gonna be a long one again isn't it

Astral Dog

This Art vs Tech talk is going in circles.

They go hand in hand and both matter ,of course i want to see the artist passion and creativity realized on the screen,i need that sleek looking enemy design, that cool looking armor, that stylish action,those flawless controls, those raw,vivid colors giving life to the game world, i appreciate fun art in games,it makes them more interesting than pursuing mere realism, dark fantasy of course is one of the best genres to showcase this

having nice tech to work with also has advantages, its just about fitting the art on the appropiate hardware and working around the limitations to deliver something good.

Wii for example had some cool looking games, but if you want to push more realism or more detail, you need to upgrade the hardware, Sakamoto for example stated he refused to release Metroid Dread for DS(and a Metroid for N64), because he had a vision how the game atmosphere should look , and tech limits made it impossible back then.

You can also mix realism with fantasy like Resident Evil VILLAGE does.
higher tech helps, but there are some games that may look uninspired because they focus too much on imitating real life, it depends on the genre and type of game the developers want to create, aesthetics can make a game look beyond the tech limitations of the hardware

Halcyon

This may have been asked a hundred times but so I have like a level 175 character that I beat the game with and started a new game+. I got kinda bored after plowing through the first area.

So how is this content going to work. Do I have to start fresh? Do I have to take my new game + character to the mogh area. I feel like I will be terribly over-leveled.

I woulda just kept my character at the end game and not started my ng+ if I woulda known about this I guess.

MiguelItUp

I miss the days of no internet and getting my news from game magazines. Nothing can be fun anymore, people just have to shit on everything.
That's because most human beings are miserable pieces of shit that want nothing more than to bring everyone else down. The internet has done so many wonderful things for our world but man its connected soo many shitty and useless people too..double edged sword.
I couldn't agree more. For the past number of years I feel like we live in a new age of hate, where people just love to be toxic, negative, etc. Be it because people are miserable and just like to put their negativity out there first, or whatever. I've learned how to manage and work with it, which is relieving, but it's still hard to not be taken back by it from time to time. Especially when it's SO excessive.

To each their own, of course. Much like any situation. But it's baffling to me that anyone would look at this and think it looks bad, boring, etc. If you're a fan of Elden Ring, there's no reason you shouldn't be hyped. From has always delivered exponentially when it comes to DLC, and from what we've read, heard, and seen thus far it looks like this is of the same level of quality. If not even more so. I'm frothing to get more details and can't not wait to get back into that world. I got my physical collector's and am already feeling the urge to count down the days.

Last edited:

DemWalls

This Art vs Tech talk is going in circles.

They go hand in hand and both matter ,of course i want to see the artist passion and creativity realized on the screen,i need that sleek looking enemy design, that cool looking armor, that stylish action,those flawless controls, those raw,vivid colors giving life to the game world, i appreciate fun art in games,it makes them more interesting than pursuing mere realism, dark fantasy of course is one of the best genres to showcase this

having nice tech to work with also has advantages, its just about fitting the art on the appropiate hardware and working around the limitations to deliver something good.

Wii for example had some cool looking games, but if you want to push more realism or more detail, you need to upgrade the hardware, Sakamoto for example stated he refused to release Metroid Dread for DS(and a Metroid for N64), because he had a vision how the game atmosphere should look , and tech limits made it impossible back then.

You can also mix realism with fantasy like Resident Evil VILLAGE does.
higher tech helps, but there are some games that may look uninspired because they focus too much on imitating real life, it depends on the genre and type of game the developers want to create, aesthetics can make a game look beyond the tech limitations of the hardware

Exactly, and when great art meets great tech the results are just on another level.

If Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake II (on PC) just had the technology but a lesser art direction, their graphics wouldn't deserve as much praise as they do.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Elden_Ring_Guidance_of_Grace_2.jpg

No only the grace will point you to the direction of where you should go but also talking to Varre (White mask in the beginning) will tell you exactly where to go.

This is why games are become easier. Gamers are becoming dumber. Not sorry for this comment.

Buggy Loop

Elden_Ring_Guidance_of_Grace_2.jpg

No only the grace will point you to the direction of where you should go but also talking to Varre (White mask in the beginning) will tell you exactly where to go.

There should be a mode where you start with a guide spirit FFS :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Doesn't mean you won't die

cats dogs GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
ugh, so I decided to double dip and get ER on Steam, got to Margit fine again and then he's wrecking me, I cannot defend against long wind up attacks at all still and I've beatnen pretty much every Souls like

Its gonna be a long one again isn't it
Can you kill a bear? I wouldn’t attempt Margit until you can own the big bear.

Top Bottom