• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Playstation 5 Pro specs analysis, also new information

Mr.Phoenix

Tell Me GIF by Nico Santos
Sheeesh... don't bother. Fuck HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 . I even tried bribing him with a lifetime supply of strippers and he still didn't spill his guts. Now I am considering changing my avatar to look like his and making posts claiming all manner of shit, who knows maybe he subconsciously agrees to some of the stuff I say thinking he was the one that sa.....

fuck, keep forgetting to nt say this shit out loud.
People worried about the CPU in a Pro console is a little strange because you will be playing the same games so a more powerful CPU will mostly go to waste.

They will probably be befuddled at how close PS5 Pro GPU will actually be to a CPU & be lost when things are being offloaded to compute & ML lol
Meh... they would just latch onto something else and make that become the new biggest problem in the gaming world. Watch them say the PS5pro still only uses the equivalent of 4x AF... and how that makes the games unplayable.

onQ123

Why do you say that? While it's true that very few games are so CPU bound that having a 60 fps mode is off the table, a big part of why people wanted the Pro was to finally be able to not have to settle for playing Quality modes at 30 fps. This is where games will still be CPU limited on a Pro device that is CPU bottlenecked.

It's why I've been playing so many games on PS5/SX at 30 fps despite them having a performance mode! Forbidden West, Ratchet, Spiderman 2, Alan Wake 2, FF16, FF7 Rebirth, Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor, Plague Tale Requiem, etc

Basically all the best looking games you have to choose the lesser of two evils and if you want next gen visuals and RT you still have to choose 30 fps (or 40 if you're lucky). So now a PS5 Pro comes along with only a 10% boost and nothings going to change! Upcoming games will have greater requirements and I'll still have to settle for 30.

I didn't read your full post but you said people wanted the Pro so they wouldn't have to settle for Quality mode at 30fps right?

But the 60fps mode on PS5 Pro will most likely look better than the 30fps mode on PS5 so why not play the Performance mode?

Imtjnotu

Sheeesh... don't bother. Fuck HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 . I even tried bribing him with a lifetime supply of strippers and he still didn't spill his guts. Now I am considering changing my avatar to look like his and making posts claiming all manner of shit, who knows maybe he subconsciously agrees to some of the stuff I say thinking he was the one that sa.....

Meh... they would just latch onto something else and make that become the new biggest problem in the gaming world. Watch them say the PS5pro still only uses the equivalent of 4x AF... and how that makes the games unplayable.
you need to calm down taylor swift GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Why do you say that? While it's true that very few games are so CPU bound that having a 60 fps mode is off the table, a big part of why people wanted the Pro was to finally be able to not have to settle for playing Quality modes at 30 fps. This is where games will still be CPU limited on a Pro device that is CPU bottlenecked.

You really have it backwards here. If your goal is to play quality mode at 60fps in games that have a quality and performance mode then chances are said games are gpu limited and PS5 Pro would solve that need in spades.

It's why I've been playing so many games on PS5/SX at 30 fps despite them having a performance mode! Forbidden West, Ratchet, Spiderman 2, Alan Wake 2, FF16, FF7 Rebirth, Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor, Plague Tale Requiem, etc

The bolded games are all GPU limited on console. I'm unsure about the remaining 2.

Perrott

Gold Member
The bolded games are all GPU limited on console. I'm unsure about the remaining 2.
Hogwarts and Rebirth aren't CPU limited either. Both of them manage to holf 60fps for the most part, and Hogwarts even offers 120fps modes as well.

Their issue is image quality and visual fidelity when targetting those high framerates, but the Pro's GPU should take good care of all those aspects.

N4P aka 5nm+ should be economical for console manufacturers in Q4 2024.
This year Nvidia will release 800mm2+ 512bit GB202 on N4P.

Small GB207 ( smallest chip) will be using 200-250mm2 die.
PS5 Pro APU would be only 300mm2~.
You know what is really economical,to have the base PS5 and PS5 pro both using the same chassis and PSU,this does not work using a 6nm chip,
Not a chance lol. I fully expect them to sell it for $499. Without a disc drive. And probably have a $550 SKU bundled with a disc drive. If they really wanna push it, then they sell it for $550 without a disc drive and have a $600 SKU with a disc drive. Just don't see that happening though. I just don't see them selling it for anything more than a $100 over the base PS5.

My money is on 6nm. People seem to forget that the PS5 (6nm) was drawing 10% less power than the launch PS5. And the PS5 6nm draws a peak of around 225W under load. I can easily see this being like 280 - 300W for the PS5pro.
I'm thinking Sony will use the existing slim chassis for both the slim and pro,this would save a lot of money on manufacturing and shipping cost.A slim and Pro PS5 built on the 5nm or N4P node could use the same chassis and detachable disk drive,this would be far cheaper to make and ship than having two different manufacturing lines.

A 6nm PS5 Pro APU would be about the same size as the original PS5 7nm APU, but would use much more power and produce much more heat requiring a bigger chassis,bigger heat sink and fan,the chassis would be bigger than the OG PS5.

PS5 slim 6nm APU 260mm 225 watts cost per chip $57
PS5 Pro 6nm APU 320mm 275 watts cost per chip $68

PS5 slim 5nm APU 210mm 190 watts cost per chip $64
PS5 Pro 5nm APU 260mm 225 watts cost per chip $75

Belthazar

That's really not how any of that works. If a game is CPU bound and has headroom on the GPU then reducing fidelity and resolution wouldn't do much good... Just look at the very rare example of a game that's CPU bound: it's 4k, with RT on because reducing it to 1080p and deactivating RT wouldn't do much to improve performance. For that specific case and a few others, a bigger increase on CPU would help, but for those examples you cited:

it wouldn't do anything at all. Your best bet at having a 4k/60fps mode in those is a GPU upgrade, which the Pro will have.

Rule of thumb: if the game already has a working 60fps mode and reduces fidelity/image quality to achieve that framerate, then it's GPU bound, not CPU.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They are still confused about PS5 vs Series X performance differences, so how can we expect them to competently analyze what PS5 Pro may or may not have to offer? People say I/we unfairly criticize them, but is it wrong to expect a higher level of technical discussion and understanding from a platform such as theirs?

What is worse to me is that just after being confused about this Alex say that Xbox is the most "feature complete" of the two hardware but devs only target Sony because reasons, indirectly accusing the devs of not being good. But when John talked about the CPU being good if used smartly, they refuse to make the same connection.

damidu

What is worse to me is that just after being confused about this Alex say that Xbox is the most "feature complete" of the two hardware but devs only target Sony because reasons, indirectly accusing the devs of not being good. But when John talked about the CPU being good if used smartly, they refuse to make the same connection.
they are all clowns, but
bagusto is pretty much your standard fanboy. he sang the "immature tools" song for the first two years, then directly went to "lazy devs" when the great series x jump he was betting on didn't materialize.

Mr.Phoenix

You know what is really economical,to have the base PS5 and PS5 pro both using the same chassis and PSU,this does not work using a 6nm chip,

I'm thinking Sony will use the existing slim chassis for both the slim and pro,this would save a lot of money on manufacturing and shipping cost.A slim and Pro PS5 built on the 5nm or N4P node could use the same chassis and detachable disk drive,this would be far cheaper to make and ship than having two different manufacturing lines.

A 6nm PS5 Pro APU would be about the same size as the original PS5 7nm APU, but would use much more power and produce much more heat requiring a bigger chassis,bigger heat sink and fan,the chassis would be bigger than the OG PS5.

While 5nm makes sense, and if we are being sensible here, we can make two sound deductions.

1. The PS5 is due another node shrink. The first one came in 2022 (7nm to 6nm). 2024 sounds just about right to have another one (6nm to 5nm). And sony has shown they have no problem shrinking everything within a chassis while keeping the chassis size the same.
  2. Dropping to 5nm is really the most obvious way the PS5pro makes sense. But then again, it could just as easily be the same size as the OG PS5.
That said, I do believe that Sony has to... almost needs to make the PS5pro be its own thing. Have its own chassis. There has to be some sort of clear differentiation between it and the base PS. So to me, that rules out them using the current PS5 chassis for both the PS5 and PS5pro.
Don't get me started on these guys' inconsistencies. There is just so much weird with what they say collectively, that at this point I simply refuse to take any of their opinions, even the ones I agree with, seriously.

What I find really disturbing though, and this would apply to any video production site/channel. Is; an outlet can have a lack of accountability, and that in of itself is bad and damages their integrity, but what is just flat-out scary, is when that company is as public-facing as a YouTube channel. Because in that case, all your lack of accountability moments and inconsistencies are right there for everyone to see and compare. Especially for them. I mean, I believe you have to have a little bit of narcism in you to even start up a youtube channel, but it takes a very different breed of narcissist to have a complete disregard for accountability or consistency when it comes to stuff like this.

Thats what I really find troubling about them. In the space of 10mins, they can push two completely different agendas from the exact same technology but have negative and positive connotations based on who the company is. In the same fucking show.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Basically all the best looking games you have to choose the lesser of two evils and if you want next gen visuals and RT you still have to choose 30 fps (or 40 if you're lucky). So now a PS5 Pro comes along with only a 10% boost and nothings going to change! Upcoming games will have greater requirements and I'll still have to settle for 30.

Well yeah, but as long as there's a 60 mode then you'll get that at higher graphics settings, which amounts to everything with the possible exception of RT. With resolution/image quality being by far the most important of those.

winjer

Gold Member

There is also the advantage that using N5, would use less power. Meanign a simplified and cheaper power delivery system. And lower heat dissipation, meaning smaller heatsinks, and maybe even no longer needing to use liquid metal.
So in the end, we could have a simpler and cheaper console to produce. And a smaller, lighter console also means cheaper distribution costs.

Timestamped. John brings a little of sense to the table arguing what we all know: CPUs this generation are fine. Of course 4 years in there are better stuff but consoles are not even high end stuff of their launch period. He asked a few devs and… what do you know! They said the same thing. Someone on the DD2 perform thread quoted a guy who had access to the debug of Jedi Survivor and it was just a mess of bad practices. Again, nothing that we don’t already know. But some DF staff and some people here like to pretend that we didn’t have massive crowd or physics simulation a couple of generations ago.

And also states again what we all know: the 60fps modes have a GPU problem and the Pro is going to help with that.

They almost excommunicated John when he brought some sanity to the debate.

You really have it backwards here. If your goal is to play quality mode at 60fps in games that have a quality and performance mode then chances are said games are gpu limited and PS5 Pro would solve that need in spades.

Both FF7 Rebirth and Hogwarts run pretty well at 60fps on PS5, the only downside being the low resolution. Both would benefit a lot from a PS5 pro version.

Which is not even true (obviously). Some devs have tried to use hardware VRS in some games so we could actually compare vs no VRS on consoles. it was a failure in both cases: Dead Space and Doom Eternal. Games IQ appeared noticeably worse in both cases with unoticeable performance benefit.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Exactly. It won't change framerates. Its going to add some more RT and some higher resolutions, perhaps the odd game will be patched to have quality mode at some brute forced higher fps but many games won't be upgraded.

As we know the best games hail from japan right now and I dont expect much of an improvement there. I guess its good for those woke studios like Guerrilla and ND who can improve clarity on their uglified and trans characters. Have fun with those games.

SmokSmog

PS5 Pro 500-550$ Q4 2024
300mm2~ N4P APU
Zen2 + 60CU RDNA3.5
Same case as the new PS5 revision ( It's not a slim!)
Same PSU
Same power limit 230W~
Bigger SSD

PS5 Slim 400$ Q4 2024
180mm2? N4P APU
New smaller case
Smaller PSU
Lower power limit 120W~
Bigger SSD

It's over!

Keep in mind that Sony is cheaping out as much as possible. PS5 Pro will use 18Gb/s GDDR6 chips in Q4 2024 while desktop Radeon GPUs are using 20Gb/s since Q4 2022, and in Q4 2024 they are jumping straight to 28Gb/s GDDR7 from samsung. Both AMD and Nvidia won't use the 32Gb/s chips straight away.
856e6aac4ce4d22027db19a1fcb49db3b5905dc8a32f46b85e5d5fd34e0c2889.png

0386833ccd72f617fc5efd430ed292b5266af201ac32038377e7bea0c0f8b436.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly. It won't change framerates. Its going to add some more RT and some higher resolutions, perhaps the odd game will be patched to have quality mode at some brute forced higher fps but many games won't be upgraded.
Sony said that 60 fps non RT games on PS5 will now hit 60 fps with RT. my guess is game 1 is Spiderman 2. And game 2 is demon souls which had RT shadows removed. Doubt its Horizon, GOW or Returnal. Game 2 could also be GT7 which had RT in replays but not gameplay.

wcfhiTH.png

T-Cake

I'm kind of leaning towards PS5 Pro after saying I would never get another console. There just seems to be something not quite right with the PC ports in one way or another, be it DualSense issues, sound issues, HDR issues, etc. So it depends on what tarting up Sony do to their first party titles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm kind of leaning towards PS5 Pro after saying I would never get another console. There just seems to be something not quite right with the PC ports in one way or another, be it DualSense issues, sound issues, HDR issues, etc. So it depends on what tarting up Sony do to their first party titles.
PC ports have been absolutely trash over the last couple of years. We had a good few years from around 2017-2022 when GPUs were like 5x more powerful and CPUs were like 10x more powerful than the jaguar trash in consoles, but as soon as that cross gen period ended around late 2022 and PS5's 10 tflops, 8 core CPUs, and 12.5 GB of vram became the baseline, it seems like everything started falling apart. All of a sudden, i started getting vram crashes related to RT in RE4 and Gotham knights. TLOU1 was unplayable with high res textures until they fixed it a few months later. CPUs finally became a bottleneck forcing me to turn off RT in A LOT of games even on a 3080. Im like i bought this fucking thing for RT and im turning it off because the RT modes are poorly optimized.

Oddly enough, starfield was the most polished game of them all along with Avatar. Oh and Suicide Squad but had to turn off RT because again, CPU bottlenecked at 60 fps and RT on.

if the PS5 can do RT at 60 fps without dropping below DLSS 4k performance (1080p internal) then i might just get it. Right now, if i spend $600 on PC, im not getting a card more powerful than mine and im not spending $600 on a CPU/mobo combo after spending $500 just 3 years ago.

Sony said that 60 fps non RT games on PS5 will now hit 60 fps with RT. my guess is game 1 is Spiderman 2. And game 2 is demon souls which had RT shadows removed. Doubt its Horizon, GOW or Returnal. Game 2 could also be GT7 which had RT in replays but not gameplay.

wcfhiTH.png
Shouldn’t gt7 be able to add rt to the native 4k unlocked mods that hovers around 90fps while also locking it to 120

Hogwarts and Rebirth aren't CPU limited either. Both of them manage to holf 60fps for the most part, and Hogwarts even offers 120fps modes as well.

Their issue is image quality and visual fidelity when targetting those high framerates, but the Pro's GPU should take good care of all those aspects.
Could rebirths performance mode then do 120 on the pro I really hope so

Mr.Phoenix

I was just countering the idea that because they need more die area for a clock increase you can use an updated architecture which will instead allow you to retain same clocks
Who said you need more die area for the clock increase? You don't. It's just a clock increase. If anything, you "may" need more die area if going for a different CPU arch.

If on the Pro games still used only 4x AF then that would be beyond pathetic ...what a weird thing to draw a line on for possible complaints

Both FF7 Rebirth and Hogwarts run pretty well at 60fps on PS5, the only downside being the low resolution. Both would benefit a lot from a PS5 pro version.

Which is not even true (obviously). Some devs have tried to use hardware VRS in some games so we could actually compare vs no VRS on consoles. it was a failure in both cases: Dead Space and Doom Eternal. Games IQ appeared noticeably worse in both cases with unoticeable performance benefit.

Gonna have to disagree on Doom Eternal. Thar was one case where VRS worked well. I bought it on PS5 first and wasn't happy with the RT mode due to using a lower AF setting than SX. Then bought it on SX which used VRS and allowed them to improve the IQ and AF setting over the PS5. The RT mode on SX looks noticeably better and the RT reflections seem to be higher res there too. If you have it on both systems you should compare I think you will see I'm correct.

I think they smartly used VRS to improve key areas like AF and RT and it paid off in that case.

I didn't read your full post but you said people wanted the Pro so they wouldn't have to settle for Quality mode at 30fps right?

But the 60fps mode on PS5 Pro will most likely look better than the 30fps mode on PS5 so why not play the Performance mode?

If the performance mode on the Pro looks as good as current quality modes on ps5 then yeah I will play that. I sew your point though, there will be Quality modes on Pro that exceed current Quality modes on PS5 original and I'll likely find myself in the same predicament where I'll want the best graphics possible.

We're going to have to see if that rumor is 🐖 :messenger_poop: first :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

But I have a feeling that ~120 via PSSR will be there in games that have 60 fps performance modes now. Without that easily marketable 120 fps differentiator i really don't see the way for them to make people buy the pro. Just "better RT, more stable frame rate, higher resolution" isn't going to cut it. They got to have SOMETHING meaningful like 4K was on PS4 Pro.

"Better RT including RT gi, shadows, and reflections" and "no more shit iq" to me would be a big deal

Launching with a list of PS5 games that have been updated to take advantage of the Pro (such as Cyberpunk with rt gi and reflections, dying light 2 with rt gi, control ultimate with rt gi now included, Alan Wake 2 without shit tier fsr2 iq, red dead redemption 2 at 4k/60 fps) would be wonderful as well!

Gonna have to disagree on Doom Eternal. Thar was one case where VRS worked well. I bought it on PS5 first and wasn't happy with the RT mode due to using a lower AF setting than SX. Then bought it on SX which used VRS and allowed them to improve the IQ and AF setting over the PS5. The RT mode on SX looks noticeably better and the RT reflections seem to be higher res there too. If you have it on both systems you should compare I think you will see I'm correct.

I think they smartly used VRS to improve key areas like AF and RT and it paid off in that case.
You have that right sir!

sachos

If PSSR reaches DLSS quality, wouldnt that mean that a 60 FPS performance mode on PS5 Pro could run and look better than a 30 FPS Quality mode on base PS5 while at the same time running at lower resolution?

Best thing about their article was the new information and confirmation of raw specs. Rest is pure editorial BS.
If PSSR reaches DLSS quality, wouldnt that mean that a 60 FPS performance mode on PS5 Pro could run and look better than a 30 FPS Quality mode on base PS5 while at the same time running at lower resolution?
Yes. This is the aim of this machine. Basically PS4 Pro target but better.

Perrott

Gold Member
Could rebirths performance mode then do 120 on the pro I really hope so
That'd be pointless, and to be honest, I think that supporting 120hz gameplay in AAA titles is a mistake for a home console, since the compromises in terms of image quality go totally against the core pillars of console gaming.

60hz at PSSR Quality 4K would be more than enough.

Radical_3d

Yes but that’s delusional. nVidia has a lot of experience in machine learning and Sony is not going to reach DLSS in their first attempt. I think it’ll be a step up over FSR but still not nVidia or Apple.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
My bad, I probably misunderstood this.
I thought Sony was using a similar approach on PS5.
No no - you're not wrong that it 'can' be done - but it's a load balancing act. On PC you may have spare CPU cycles especially if GPU isn't that great (back in the day I remember playing with MLAA for Intel Laptops and the only way to run that was using the CPU - which was kind of absurdly powerful compared to the embedded GPUs back then). But there's no easy way to cross-collaborate between the two because of the memory and API boundaries.
On console there are no such limitations to mixing the workload - so depending on what has more resources, you can distribute it accordingly (so even if RT was more CPU heavy on a PS5 version it could push more work to GPU on the Pro, or vice versa).

The interesting thing is - the first case study shows roughly the same kind of GPU performance increase (actually higher - and with less work since new upscaler isn't nearly as complex to use as CBR was back then) as PS4Pro early case-studies did.
If those are real - it's rather ironic after all the crying how much better the PS4 Pro increase was, based solely on comparing paper-specs to actual metrics.

That'd be pointless, and to be honest, I think that supporting 120hz gameplay in AAA titles is a mistake for a home console, since the compromises in terms of image quality go totally against the core pillars of console gaming.

60hz at PSSR Quality 4K would be more than enough.
Wouldn’t it just be the same visual quality at the current performance mode I assume they would just need to unlock the framerate

Last edited:

Ashamam

Yes but that’s delusional. nVidia has a lot of experience in machine learning and Sony is not going to reach DLSS in their first attempt. I think it’ll be a step up over FSR but still not nVidia or Apple.
Depends. It looks like perhaps Sony is approaching the problem a bit differently. Hints here and there that PSSR might diverge a bit from how DLSS works. It takes the same inputs but might also rely on techniques drawn from more video focused techniques. Anyway point being if its taking a different approach then you could expect different results. eg maybe it does some things better than DLSS and some worse. So I don't think its delusional at all to keep an open mind at this point. We have one doctored screenshot right now, can't really draw any insights from that other than its real.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Wouldn’t it just be the same visual quality at the current performance mode I assume they would just need to unlock the framerate
Yeah, but what would be the point of that? FFVIIR would barely benefit from that extra performance beyond 60fps, which in turn would negate any image quality enhancements that the Pro might be bringing to the table.

Again, anyone that buys a Pro looking to play 120hz AAA games at regular PS5 performance mode settings is kind of a fool. People who are looking for that ultra high performance (and at palable image quality settings) shouldn't look into consoles but into RTX XX80 or XX90 series cards.

120hz are simply an unnatural fit to the console landscape.

Yeah, but what would be the point of that? FFVIIR would barely benefit from that extra performance beyond 60fps, which in turn would negate any image quality enhancements that the Pro might be bringing to the table.

Again, anyone that buys a Pro looking to play 120hz AAA games at regular PS5 performance mode settings is kind of a fool. People who are looking for that ultra high performance (and at palable image quality settings) shouldn't look into consoles but into RTX XX80 or XX90 series cards.

I wasn't saying it would be the only option like how the fidelity mode is expected to unlock the framerate and run at 60 on the pro they can also do it to the performance mode so it runs at 120 basically so you have a 60 or 120 choice

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You are comparing apples with oranges, not even in a similar price range :D. Some people will be happier with much improved RT and image quality, some will have quality settings at 60 FPS or close enough for VRR to kick in with possibly improved RT (or RT shadows added in).

I prefer to save time for next-generation models, but what they announced is not bad. Unless they price it for like $699-799 or something (without even a disc drive).

Lysandros

They are still confused about PS5 vs Series X performance differences, so how can we expect them to competently analyze what PS5 Pro may or may not have to offer? People say I/we unfairly criticize them, but is it wrong to expect a higher level of technical discussion and understanding from a platform such as theirs?

Thick headedness emanating from bias version 4.0. Nothing new, they have the monopoly and the fitting arrogance.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yes, similar to how Death Stranding run on PS5: exceptionnaly well. 3060/3070 level.
How does that comment even make sense? The 3060 and 3070 aren't on the same level at all with the 3070 being close to 50% faster. The PS5 in DS is on the level of a 2080/S. Those cards offer similar performance.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If on the Pro games still used only 4x AF then that would be beyond pathetic ...what a weird thing to draw a line on for possible complaints
I am willing to bet it will. For whatever reason, that seems to be an area that devs always cheap out on. I say devs because there is no reason even on the PS5 as is that should be the case. Have you seen the frametime impact of enabling it on the PC? Practically non-existent.

My guess is that devs don't bother with that because they feel that from the average viewing distance of a console gamer, its not something they may notice.
If the performance mode on the Pro looks as good as current quality modes on ps5 then yeah I will play that. I sew your point though, there will be Quality modes on Pro that exceed current Quality modes on PS5 original and I'll likely find myself in the same predicament where I'll want the best graphics possible.
And that will ALWAYS be the case with consoles, or any fixed platform for that matter. Whatever you can do, or however good you can make your game look at 60fps, you will be able to make it look better at 30fps. With these mid-gen refreshes, our only saving grace, (if you would go as far as call it that) is that devs likely would not waste the time to do that.

Everything I am seeing about the PS5pro, is telling me that the push is to get devs to just take their current fidelity mode, and apply PSSR to that in a way that gives them 60fps while remaining close to or matching the 30fps fidelity mode on the base PS5. That's going to be work enough for devs, so I think it's unlikely that devs would also focus on a PS5pro 3fps super fidelity mode.

In those games that do have a CPU bottleneck that completely prevents a 60fps mode however, then the PS5pro mode would just be a hyper fidelity mode at around 40fps.
I disagree, well not entirely, but mostly. Intel was able to have a respectable implementation of ML-based reconstruction with XeSS on their first attempt. Hell, even the apple you mentioned got it right on their first attempt too. Furthermore, its not like this tech is new tech now, Sony already knows this tech, and everyone has done it, so surely getting into it now would be easier than saying doing it 5 years ago.

Lastly, ML reconstruction is not some sort of secret sauce, and the fact that FSR can even exist that doesn't have the benefit of AI acceleration, is proof that this is something that is purely mathematical and reproducible. You can even train an AI upscaler and build out your own algorithm, using AI hardware from a different vendor. That is, Sony can build the PSSR algorithm using Nvidia tensor hardware. At the end of the day, DLSS, XeSS, PSSR....etc is just a software stack handled by AI hardware.

Not saying right off the jump, its going to be as good or better than DLSS, but saying we shouldn't put it beyond Sony to come very close. I mean have you seen what insomniac does with TI reconstruction?
it was implied in the previous comment as well as on compatibility issues
Well, I don't know what thats about. You don't need more die space to do a clock bump. There could be compatibility issues, but even that is limited when on the same architecture, as only when switching archs would you really likely see compatibility issues.

I will say it again, considering all else Sony did on the PS5pro, a CPU clock bump is... or at least should have been the easiest thing they could have done. It would take very little out of them and their entire PS5pro design to have bumped that CPU clock up to even 4.2GHz.

But that is what I also feel stands out to me, that they didn't do it, basically screams out something very obvious. They cut out the one thing/upgrade they felt they needed the least. And the only way they arrive at that conclusion is if they are looking at the CPU very differently from people like you. You look at games having a CPU "bottleneck" because they are running at nothing higher than 30fps, they look at the CPU utilization percentage across all games and can see that the games that are not having 60fps modes, typically have the worst CPU utilization. And they have the means to profile every game running on their platform.

And that's a developer problem, not a hardware problem.

Hell just look at the recently released rise of the Ronin...have you at least seen the DF thread on that game? Its FIDELITY mode is barely doing above 1080p at 30fps with no RT. Its "fidelity" mode. And a 1.8Tf console from 2013 had more immersive open world games which at 30fps looked significantly better than it. That is how messed up some devs can be when they actually have the power to do whatever.

And this is something I think people don't factor in. The same way more power can be used to push framerates, rez, visual features... etc, which are all consumer-facing uses of that power, is the same way devs can use that power to drop their game development budget, by doing "just enough" to go to market. And use the power to brute force poorly optimized code. Thats the dev facing use of that power.

Top Bottom