• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Stray - Xbox Series S/X vs PS5 - All Xbox Consoles Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A welcome hit when released on PC and PlayStation consoles in July 2022, Stray is a unique, fun experience - and it was recently released on all Xbox consoles from the lowly One S all the way up to the mighty Series X. So, how does the game scale across all systems? What's the score with PlayStation comparisons? Tom Morgan has the full story.

Last edited:

adamsapple

- PS5 / SX are 'virtually identical'. Both run dynamic 4K resolution with similar resolution drops after camera cuts (tested 1728p after a camera cut). Both can potentially go lower but turnout is mostly 4K.

- Lowest end:
- Xbox One S: 900p w/ DRS but typically 900p.
- 30 FPS but visual feature set matches the new-gen versions
- Outside of stutter on auto-save points (Also seen on PS4), mostly 30 FPS with some rough spots
- One S and Series X have matching textures, draw distance, shadows etc. Depth of Field and some pop-in are the only visual differences aside resolution and performance.

Performance:
- Series X: 60 FPS, One-off single frame drop whenever auto save prompt appears on screen. Identical to PS5 ver.
- Series S: Native 1080p, DRS likely but not noticed, 60 FPS. Outside of one drop to mid 50s in the opening cut-scene it's identical to Series X.
- One X: 1080p ~ 1728p with unlocked FPS. Drops to low 40s, mid 30s with erratic frame pacing. Certain segments can run 60 but in any traversal area it drops below. Also suffers the a lot of stuttering which VRR cannot mitigate.
- One S: 900p with some hitching and frame rate drops.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So same as PS5 on XSX.
Cutbacks lower down the stack.

[Off Topic]
Mortal Kombat 1 when?
Those character models, textures and environments need to be analyzed.
If MK1 doesnt make DFs graphics of the year I will be shocked.

adamsapple

Did you mean One, S, and X? Or One and Series S?

Seems like a typo if X is on there with the S.

No, in the video they say that all versions have similar visual features with DoF being only outlier (aside from resolution and performance). Textures, filtering, draw distance etc is the same across the board.

Same as ps5

skip the series S

Nah, it's a solid locked 1080p/60.

One X has a higher DRS but the performance is terrible by comparison, drops to mid 30s and has constant traversal stutter.

If someone just has a Series S, it's a solid version.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, in the video they say that all versions have similar visual features with DoF being only outlier (aside from resolution and performance). Textures, filtering, draw distance etc is the same across the board.

Nah, it's a solid locked 1080p/60.

One X has a higher DRS but the performance is terrible by comparison, drops to mid 30s and has constant traversal stutter.
Is that also the case with PS4/PS5? They have the same settings? (seems a bit odd, tbh).

adamsapple

Is that also the case with PS4/PS5? They have the same settings? (seems a bit odd, tbh).

Yeah, it's a last gen game, the only difference in PS4/Pro/PS5 was also the resolution and performance, back in the day. Visual features were mostly the same.

Beyond resolution and frame-rate, changes between the PS4 and PS5 versions are otherwise subtle. The premium machine uses a higher-grade bokeh depth of field effect and potentially longer draw distances during fast transitions, but shadows, texture mapping and much of the world detail appear very close between all three PlayStation machines.

The DoF was the biggest difference in them as well.

Last edited:

intbal

I don't agree with Tom's negativity on the One X version.
The game's performance is fine on a VRR monitor/tv, which most Xbox owners upgraded to a long time ago.
You can also play without VRR at 120hz refresh rate for a somewhat smoother experience.

However, he's right that there should be an additional option for a 30fps cap.
Perhaps the PS4 Pro should also have an additional option to uncap the framerate with some reduced settings.

T-Cake

The game's performance is fine on a VRR monitor/tv, which most Xbox owners upgraded to a long time ago.

Heck, what planet are you living on? I know four Xbox gamers (and myself an ex-Xbox gamer) and none of us have VRR capable displays.

adamsapple

You can also play without VRR at 120hz refresh rate for a somewhat smoother experience.

Perhaps the PS4 Pro should also have an additional option to uncap the framerate with some reduced settings.

The issue with that is VRR won't do shit for traversal style stutters, which One X seems to have a lot of (going by the video at least).

intbal

The issue with that is VRR won't do shit for traversal style stutters, which One X seems to have a lot of (going by the video at least).
That's a problem with lots of games on all systems, though.
And they aren't occuring every second.

mhirano

S

Sub-30 fps in a VRR TV/monitor is still shitty and choppy

Kilau

Keep tissues handy because that pussy will make you wet.

The ending with the pussycat is particularly emotional after all 😛
Excuse Me What GIF by Naughty Dog

Yeah I'm sure every Xbox owner bought a brand new €1500 TV.:messenger_expressionless:

acm2000

i will probably give it a try once it comes to game pass, my dog will go batshit tho so not sure how im gonna make it work :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom