• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry The PS5 GPU in PC Form? Radeon RX 6700 In-Depth - Console Equivalent PC Performance?

Zathalus

It's very likely because of CPU bottleneck on PS5. Why don't they put a PS5 CPU (4700s) in there?
I doubt it has anything to do with the CPU, a 3600 has minimums is the 80fps + range on Alan Wake 2 for instance. Monster Hunter Rise as well, being a Switch port a 3600 can do 160fps+.

Senua

Gold Member
Marching orders to insight the PC vs PlayStation war
Funny Face Lol GIF

shamoomoo

Absolutely retarded comparison. he doesnt state what CPU hes using but hes definitely not using that AMD 6700U chip from china that he knows for a FACT is the PS5 CPU. Then he wonders why the 60 fps and 120 fps modes are performing well. Well, why do you think sherlock?

God i hate DF. Every time i stan for this fuckers they make me look like a fucking fool.

Oh and he didnt even downclock the 6700 to match the PS5 tflops. Not even for one test just to see how well the PS5 GPU compares to its PC counterpart with more dedicated VRAM and infinity cache.

To think he had 3 years to come up with the testing scenarios and completely blew it.
Maybe Richard wanted to see the raw performance of RX 6700, because if the PS5 outperforms the 6700 then clock speed wasn't a factor. Richard should've try to down clock in games that favored the discrete GPU.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its sort of interesting in that it at least sorta lays to bed the optimized for fixed hardware/coding to the metal myth - at least the 200% gains some people seem to have in their head.
Modern game development your hardware performs pretty much the same in a console or a PC. Different devs can optimize their game and get better results than another dev but those optimizations are pretty much platform agnostic and carry over to any PC version.

Mr.Phoenix

Wish they had also done a price breakdown on what you need to spend to build that console-equivalent PC. But of all the console equivalent comparisons, this is the best one they have done.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What's Richard Leadbetter's obsession with these GPU to console comparisons? He keeps doing them and they're completely useless.
They are usefull for people buying video cards giving them some notion of what they are getting in terms of performance.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So that answer the question of the reason to launch a Pro console is not because of games that take advantage, it's because of the GPU market

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just to join everyone else, this post is so wrong lol.
These comparisons are very interesting and provide a look at how the GPUs with very similar specs stack up.

How? As a buying guide? So people can now finally configure and buy a $1000 PC that's about as fast as a $500 PS5?

JimboJones

How? As a buying guide? So people can now finally configure and buy a $1000 PC that's about as fast as a $500 PS5?
Yes, no, maybe. It's up to the individual buying.
Maybe someone is ok with 1080p and wants to go cheaper, maybe someone has an older graphics card and is thinking of upgrading thinking if I spend a bit more than a 6700 I'll get some better than console performance.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Someone remind me the reason why folks are not able to buy APUs from AMD that are closer in graphical specs to that of current gen consoles?

Kerotan

You can mount a complete PC with a 6700XT (better than the 6700 and the PS5 GPU) for $750

If you search for a used 6700 you probably can reduce it to about $600.

So yeah, consoles are no longer such a great deal.
You can get a used ps5 for $350 easily enough and From someone like CEX with a warranty around $400. So yeah consoles still a bargain for way less effort.

Don't forget the Xbox basically equal in power and it goes much cheaper second hand. Console remains king.

Kenpachii

Non of these gpu's are made for 4k.
4060 absolute shits over PS5 not even close, framegen, dlss, rt. But again not made with its 8gb framebuffer for 4k and bandwidth.

Complete dog shit comparison.

Last edited:

Zathalus

You can get a used ps5 for $350 easily enough and From someone like CEX with a warranty around $400. So yeah consoles still a bargain for way less effort.

Don't forget the Xbox basically equal in power and it goes much cheaper second hand. Console remains king.
If you are talking about second hand market, PC has that as well you know? A second hand 3070 can be found for under $200 if you shop around. Combine that with a refurbished business PC and you have a gaming PC faster then the PS5 for around $350. I wouldn't personally recommend it, but if you are that strapped for cash it can be done.

Absolutely retarded comparison. he doesnt state what CPU hes using but hes definitely not using that AMD 6700U chip from china that he knows for a FACT is the PS5 CPU. Then he wonders why the 60 fps and 120 fps modes are performing well. Well, why do you think sherlock?
None of the games tested at 60fps are CPU bound at those framerates on a 3600 or even a 2700. You really think Monster Hunter Rise (a Switch port) is CPU limited?

mrcroket

You can also buy a used full PC and it will be even more cheap, so no, this is not 2020 anymore.

And if you steal it it's free.
You can't buy a new 6700 if that's what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Non of these gpu's are made for 4k.
4060 absolute shits over PS5 not even close, framegen, dlss, rt. But again not made with its 8gb framebuffer for 4k and bandwidth.

Complete dog shit comparison.

Good point, 4060 is a 1080p card (1440p on games that are not that demanding)

PS5 targets higher resolutions because of the VRAM + memory Bandwidth

So in then end:

- If you target 1080p on a 1080p screen 4060 is better by far
- If you target UHD textures at resolutions 1440p+ PS5 is better without a doubt

Consoles are still fine if you don't care about playing at 30 FPS, these modes are good except for the most demanding cases like Alan Wake 2 or Cyberpunk (these are not bad, just far from PC).

60 FPS modes tho started getting real bad last year, and it should only get worse from now on

hinch7

The large drops in performance are likely due to the lower VRAM capactity in the 6700. The large L3 'Infinity' cache kind of makes up for the memory bandwidth disparity. Which can be seen when he lowered resolution or used a lower internal res+upscaling and 6700 suddenly took advantage where the PS5 performed better - RT comparision notwithstanding.

About the CPU, guessing he's using the 4800S system that he's previously done in console/PC comparisons. Which is a repurposed Series X APU with 16GB GDDR6 intergrated.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
You can mount a complete PC with a 6700XT (better than the 6700 and the PS5 GPU) for $750

So $750 to get it to the same spec as the $399 digital PS5? Which also comes with a wireless dualsense controller.

As for getting a used GPU, you can also get used PS5s if the comparison is going to be fair.

So $750 to get it to the same spec as the $399 digital PS5? Which also comes with a wireless dualsense controller.

As for getting a used GPU, you can also get used PS5s if the comparison is going to be fair.
PS5 seems like a great deal, until you realize a game on launch costs 80€, and another 70€ per year if you want to play online lmao.

The used 6700 is just because AMD stopped selling that GPU already basically

Elysium44

Banned
PS5 seems like a great deal, until you realize a game on launch costs 80€, and another 70€ per year if you want to play online lmao.

The used 6700 is just because AMD stopped selling that GPU already basically

The difference in price isn't great, and you know the games will work probably perfectly without any messing about, which is more than you can say for a lot of PC ports nowadays.

Currently the PlayStation games on Steam cost a lot more than they do on PSN. 3rd party games, there isn't much or any price difference. Yes you can use sales sometimes but PSN has sales too.

I prefer gaming on console, even though I have a more powerful PC. It just works and that's all most people want.

Topher

Gold Member
The difference in price isn't great, and you know the games will work probably perfectly without any messing about, which is more than you can say for a lot of PC ports nowadays.

Currently the PlayStation games on Steam cost a lot more than they do on PSN. 3rd party games, there isn't much or any price difference. Yes you can use sales sometimes but PSN has sales too.

I prefer gaming on console, even though I have a more powerful PC. It just works and that's all most people want.

Steam games are available on sale consistently from official Steam reseller sites.

Suicide Squad.

$70 PS

~$57 third party steam stores

Persona 3 Reload

$70 PS

~$59 third party steam stores

I've preordered games from sites like green man gaming and gotten 20% off before. Right now, for example, I can order Dragon's Dogma 2 for 18% off.

uT9JD95.png

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He wants YouTube to send him money for views.

All that needs to be said.

Useless, meaningless, comparisons that serve only to create noise.

It is what it is. The cynicism of it kinda bugs me, but that's par for the course these days.

Bojji

Its sort of interesting in that it at least sorta lays to bed the optimized for fixed hardware/coding to the metal myth - at least the 200% gains some people seem to have in their head.
Modern game development your hardware performs pretty much the same in a console or a PC. Different devs can optimize their game and get better results than another dev but those optimizations are pretty much platform agnostic and carry over to any PC version.

Exactly, I remember that people believed this bullshit when carmack said that consoles were 2x more efficient or something hahaha.

Here you have almost the same hardware and performers very close to each other, "console optimization magic" isn't really working but rather raw performance of the GPU.

Last edited:

JimboJones

All that needs to be said.

Useless, meaningless, comparisons that serve only to create noise.

It is what it is. The cynicism of it kinda bugs me, but that's par for the course these days.
This is stuff he genuinely finds interesting himself and he likes to makes video about.
If it makes him money fair play, as the saying goes don't like it, don't watch it.
Anyway YouTube money isn't great these days that's why they have early access to videos via patreon.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yes. The days of getting better performance out of a console by coding to the metal have been over for a long time. Developers just don't have direct access to the hardware any more and even if they did the CPU and GPU architecture is too complex for most developers to be able to be able to build a working toolset in a reasonable amount of time. The focus is on the engine these days more than the hardware and the engine usually has to work across multiple hardware configurations, which is why improvements carry across platforms.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is stuff he genuinely finds interesting himself and he likes to makes video about.
If it makes him money fair play, as the saying goes don't like it, don't watch it.
Anyway YouTube money isn't great these days that's why they have early access to videos via patreon.

Its the absence of any sort of scientific method to it that gets me! The hardware is a significant element but you'd get divergent results using different video drivers or graphics API's, or different memory configurations, etc, etc.

It peddles a simplistic view of performance metrics that is in real terms utterly useless and without intellectual value.

Sorry if you disagree, or don't like my opinion. Feel free to ignore or disregard it, just like DF's video.

JimboJones

Its the absence of any sort of scientific method to it that gets me! The hardware is a significant element but you'd get divergent results using different video drivers or graphics API's, or different memory configurations, etc, etc.
The relative power between the hardware won't change.
Showing the variety of games already shows how different software can be more or less performant, there will always be differences there, it could be a great/bad pc port, or great/bad console port. That's a given and it's borne out in the results, you'll never get a complete like for like between console and pc hardware.
The video just shows you will get a pretty similar experience except when you crank up the resolution due to the limitations of the vram.
I'm not sure why you would want to test different iterations of drivers, 99% of people buying graphics cards just update to latest driver as it's generally the most performant for latest releases.
Again, I don't know what you mean by different memory configuration, like slower and faster ram? Single or duel memory set ups?
Why is that important when we want to see the relative performance of the GPU?

Mr.Phoenix

Then throw in $70 for either a controller or at the very least a mouse and keyboard. And let's assume you can somehow get the OS for free.

I just hope people look at what you linked whenever they are saying things like... just get a PC for the best experience. When the equivalent experience costs almost 2x as much. So imagine how much a much better or "best" experience would cost. Its why I say people that say stuff like that are outta touch.

JimboJones

Then throw in $70 for either a controller or at the very least a mouse and keyboard. And let's assume you can somehow get the OS for free.

I just hope people look at what you linked whenever they are saying things like... just get a PC for the best experience. When the equivalent experience costs almost 2x as much. So imagine how much a much better or "best" experience would cost. Its why I say people that say stuff like that are outta touch.
Ah cmon now, when you start throwing in you need a mouse and keyboards and controllers your getting a bit silly, need to buy a house and and a TV too!
Especially when wired Xbox controllers from the 360 work on PC, there's no arbitrary generation lock outs. I have a keyboard and mouse from 15 years ago still hooked up.
And you can run windows without a key indefinitely, and there is always cheap OEM keys.

Bojji

Ah cmon now, when you start throwing in you need a mouse and keyboards and controllers your getting a bit silly, need to buy a house and and a TV too!
Especially when wired Xbox controllers from the 360 work on PC, there's no arbitrary generation lock outs. I have a keyboard and mouse from 15 years ago still hooked up.
And you can run windows without a key indefinitely, and there is always cheap OEM keys.

And you have infinite BC with enhanced graphics, emulation and actual options to choose performance over graphics quality or vice versa in games. It's not "equivalent experience".

Elysium44

Banned
The relative power between the hardware won't change.
Showing the variety of games already shows how different software can be more or less performant, there will always be differences there, it could be a great/bad pc port, or great/bad console port. That's a given and it's borne out in the results, you'll never get a complete like for like between console and pc hardware.
The video just shows you will get a pretty similar experience except when you crank up the resolution due to the limitations of the vram.
I'm not sure why you would want to test different iterations of drivers, 99% of people buying graphics cards just update to latest driver as it's generally the most performant for latest releases.
Again, I don't know what you mean by different memory configuration, like slower and faster ram? Single or duel memory set ups?
Why is that important when we want to see the relative performance of the GPU?

Yes and no. The benefit of consoles is games will always be tailored to run decently on them because they have to. With PC games however, even in the same console generation, they will often be designed to run well on the latest GPUs only, and ones a few years old will not cope very well. Even though those same older GPUs did cope with current gen games a few years earlier. It's part of the PC tax, it's just a lot more expensive to keep up to date than it is with a console.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

My problem with this train of thought is that no one besides warriors trying to prove PCs are so much better than consoles ever attempts to build a gaming PC for the price of a console.

I've never been once approached by a layman who told me they had a $500 (at least not in the past 4 years) budget for a gaming PC. If that's their budget, they don't even think about a PC and go straight for a console. This constant back-and-forth I see between console and PC gamers on forums is so bizarre, and some PC enthusiasts insist you can build a decent rig for the price of a console but that's just not possible. No one's gonna buy your shitty $500 build, just like no one would have bought that crappy $400 PC in 2014 that rivaled a PS4.

What is interesting is discussing how much you need to pay to get a decent machine that can play mainstream games on the same level as consoles. Besides that, you also got DLSS if you go NVIDIA and can just tweak your settings to get better performance. Ultimately, you decide what you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom