• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Face-Off: Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4, XBO and PC]

I'd say Microsoft dodged a bullet by insisting that Blizzard ups the resolution for the Xbox version. All versions are very close and the power advantage of the more powerful platforms is effectively nullified. Smart.

Chobel

PS4 owners who noticed framerate drops in the game, when did these drops happen?

Same question for XBO owners.

Fliesen

DF themselves said in a previous article that the most strainious mode is 3 additional witch doctors with their familiars. Strange that they would omit this test in this article.

oh. fair enough. didn't know they specifically mentioned but didn't follow up on this.

NBtoaster

So they're borderline identical. Good.

But seriously, neither console should have needed so much effort for this game.

Why? What makes you think this is not demanding?

It's over 3x the resolution of the last gen versions with better effects and a higher framerate on both.

onQ123

Sony you know what to do!

WideQuadHighResolution.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
PS4 sometimes buckles with 4 players and waves of enemies on screen. I've noticed several frame drops but generally its always 60FPS which is a fair surprise.

Leyasu

Banned
Been playing couch co-op with my Gf, with my mate and his GF on-line (so 4 player and 2 on one xbone). And I ain't noticed anything

The game runs and looks great. Kids are going to bed for their naps soon so I'll be back on

njean777

Have it on XB1, don't trust Sony servers and my friends are there.

Great game, really having fun with it.

The fuck is this? Xbox live has been down more since the release of the one than psn has since the release of the ps4. Get outta here with this garbage.

Friends I can understand, but do not try to say live is better than psn anymore, shit isn't true and hasn't been for years.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
link to the so much effort for each version?

We had a thread not long ago about BOTH version struggling to keep up with 60 frames. In fact, the Xbox One version was actually out performing the PS4 version in the frame rate department.

Point is, both version needed work. Which to me, says more about the developer than anything else. You can't tell me with a straight face that Diablo is a game that pushes hardware.

njean777

We had a thread not long ago about BOTH version struggling to keep up with 60 frames. In fact, the Xbox One version was actually out performing the PS4 version in the frame rate department.

Point is, both version needed work. Which to me, says more about the developer than anything else. You can't tell me with a straight face that Diablo is a game that pushes hardware.

It does when you are in rifts a lot of enimies are on screen along with player pets, spell effects, etc. Diablo can push your hardware. Also they fixed the problem with the ps4 version before it released.

I will say, as someone who doesn't overly notice frame-drops I've noticed it two times. (PS4)

Once, Act 5 when you're at the gate and a thousand Boggits attack... it was a big drop.

Twice, Rift in a Graveyard with three elite packs ... small drop.

[I play a Fetish Witch Doctor so I have a lot of pets.]

That's it in too many hours to admit - the game is so delicious.

coastel

It isn't pushng one of the hardwares it seem's and wasn't the issue with the ps4 one a bug that's been corrected , and yes your right must be the developer but both seem to be good holding frames well and up to standard of the PC version.

Kayant

Have it on XB1, don't trust Sony servers and my friends are there.

Great game, really having fun with it.

Lmaoooo can't believe this is still going around given the game is using the same servers on all platforms and the times XBL has had issues on XB1.

Which was because of a bug. PS4 version wasn't really struggling.

"First off, I want to thank you for going through it, digging through it. As it turns out we do have an interesting bug in the game," Hight explains. "Essentially what's going on is we're updating at 60 frames per second, except on the consoles it's 59.94. Effectively it's like a round-off here - we're updating 59 frames on the first second, and 61 frames on the next [meaning] we're literally double-writing a frame."

So it appears as though elements of the renderer operate at a pure 60fps, while the HDMI standard actually incorporates the legacy NTSC drop-frame standard, running at 59.94fps. The discrepancy is apparent on both versions, but according to Hight differences in the way they handle the rendering account for the more pronounced hit to PS4 performance."

ElRenoRaven

Have to say considering the difference in power the fact that they pulled off what they did on the xbone is a damn amazing thing. Blizzard deserves the props for that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

I don't think you're getting the point of my posts. I KNOW the PS4 would never struggle with a game like this. I said the issue would be with the developer. A bug is a developer issue no?

I'm saying neither console should struggle with this game. Even the Xbox. I'm fairly certain with more time (not that they have any now) they could get the One version locked to 60 too. Maybe in a future patch perhaps.

Curufinwe

I don't think you're getting the point of my posts. I KNOW the PS4 would never struggle with a game like this. I said the issue would be with the developer. A bug is a developer issue no?

I'm saying neither console should struggle with this game. Even the Xbox. I'm fairly certain with more time (not that they have any now) they could get the One version locked to 60 too. Maybe in a future patch perhaps.

You really have no way of knowing that more time would help. Time passing won't make the GPU any stronger or remove the ESRAM bottleneck.

Duxxy3

You really have no way of knowing that more time would help. Time passing won't make the GPU any stronger or remove the ESRAM bottleneck.

Tools get better over time. Look at the launch XB1 and recent XB1 games. That's not even a year.

The hardware difference isn't going anywhere. XB1 will probably hit its performance ceiling long before the PS4 does.

iceatcs

... Or will find ways of using esram that give an advantage for specific techniques (sebbbi, trials fusion gfx dev, gave some example recently of particle effects that were really fast thanks to esram). And before people jump on my back, no I am not doing a misterx, just going on what the beyond3d board are discussing.
There are a lot of faulty informations coming from beyond3d. That's how everyone was expecting or thought that xbox one will be so powerful before both release.

PS4 owners who noticed framerate drops in the game, when did these drops happen?

Same question for XBO owners.

Xbone version here. I just noticed some stuttering, very infrequent, before some cutscenes, or when some minions are about to appear during a busy fight. It happens perhaps once every few hours, it's noticeable, but very brief and and never felt like it took away from the gameplay.

I played coop with 3 people max, and haven't spotted a single moment that felt like an actual framedrop, even when the screen is filled with particle effects... Very very pleased on how this game runs.

Huddy

Like all Blizzard engines it was designed to function on a large range of hardware configurations and was never exactly taxing.

This really should be 1080p on both consoles so it's good to see it happened.

Dredd97

A rare DF feature where everybody benefits and nobody can look at their version and say it's inferior to any other version

All in all a win / win all round.. Well done Blizzard, well done indeed :)

JP

Not read the full article yet as I'm in work but I'm really impressed that the PS4 seems to manage to hold 60fps. It's a damn pretty game when it's running! I'd like to be able to move the camera a bit further away it that having extra screen space may have impacted on the frame rate.

It feels like I'm about a million hours from doing everything in the game as it is but is there any chance that there will be more expansions for this down the line?

Ethelwulf

Is this game even graphically demanding? Not familiar with these isometric dungeon crawlers so I'm not sure how hard they push any hardware compared to something that would clearly do that like an open-world game or something really graphically intense.

Well, my four and a half year old macbook pro packed with a 330m can sustain 25-30fps on medium settings without over-clocking most of the time, even with many things happening at the same time. So I don't think is that demanding, although stable 60fps at 1080p in consoles is always welcomed.

Top Bottom