• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Face-Off: Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4, XBO and PC]

Have it on XB1, don't trust Sony servers and my friends are there.

Great game, really having fun with it.

Yep this I why XB1 is my Multiplayer console of choice. I will get most of my single player stuff on the PS4. I am curious to see how Dragon Age runs on both consoles.

Do we know if this game is using Sony/Microsoft servers or Blizzard servers? Because games from big publishers often seem to use their own servers.

psn

Resogun, Sports games & Metal Gear Solid 5 on PS4 are 1080p @ locked 60fps.
+ heaps of indie games obviously.

Will Digital Foundry update the test with Act 5 : 4 people multiplayer?

And The Last Of Us. Pretty smooth imo.

Lol @ don't trusting the Sony servers... Xbox marketing at it's best.

I feel that in a game like Diablo 3, an FPS stress test should be focused on 4 player coop on Torment atleast, as that's primarily where the majority of the late game is focused.

FPS during campaign is good and all, but to me that's not really an indication of how the consoles hold up in the heavy circumstances of late game.

Dragon

Banned
Great news that there are no compromised ports here. Good on Blizzard.

TThe comment about Sony's servers is hilarious.

Gemüsepizza;126701906 said:
Do we know if this game is using Sony/Microsoft servers or Blizzard servers? Because games from big publishers often seem to use their own servers.

Oh come on. Stop making sense.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Been enjoying the shit out of this on PS4. Damn that wait was so long, but so worth it!

Glad to hear the X1 version comes very close in performance, and seriously, a drop in the low 50s is nothing. I wouldn't even perceive it.

Still went with PS4 version though for the Shadow of the Colossus themed armor set, and Last of Us themed area.

alterno69

Banned
I've experienced slowdown on PS4, in a 4 player session in some of the dungeons in Act II, minimal but it's there. It's a really smooth experience overall, love the 0 loading.

the only thing added with 4-player coop are 3 additional player models + their skill effects.

i don't think that's going to put too much additional strain onto the GPU which already displays quite a busy scene.

Not true, enemy counts are significantly higher as well with more players for balance, not just the HP boost.

PS4 owners who noticed framerate drops in the game, when did these drops happen?

Same question for XBO owners.

To be perfectly honest the PS4 version for me starts dropping or stuttering after a controller disconnect and I start playing again.

Only way to fix it is close the game and start it back up.

Otherwise I haven't noticed drops. I'm only on Act V though at lvl 52.

Begaria

*rubs eyes* Dear lord, Digital Foundry.

"Another bizarre change is colour tone variation in some levels. Here, the PS4 is the odd one out with a cooler tone for the Highlands area."

I don't even...I can't....I mean, what?

Listen, DF? Check your video for the PS4/Xbox One comparison between 1:35-1:44. That "cooler tone" that is so "bizarre"?

It's called the rain effect. You can clearly see the difference between the two. It's likely when you took the screenshot capture given the equipment your Barbarian was wearing in the photo compared to the video.

The Highlands can be sunny and daylight, or rainy and dark. It's random.

*shakes head in contempt*

Edit: Just to be sure, I loaded up Diablo 3 on my PC. I'm in the Southern Highlands at that waypoint. Yup, "cooler tone"/dark and raining, much like the PS4 picture.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Woot typing on wifi plane.

Everyone should play this. I am going to thailand on holidays and all i can think about is slaying hordes of demons in diablo lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
Woot typing on wifi plane.

Everyone should play this. I am going to thailand on holidays and all i can think about is slaying hordes of demons in diablo lol

Bundy

Banned
Have it one the PS4 and I agree.
Buttersmooth ^_^ Great game.
As we can see, thanks th DF, the PS4 is the superior version :)

p3tran

Banned
if a friend comes online, does the framerate remain stable? if so, it runs better on consoles than on pc.

yesterday, for testing (the game, not the vs performance bullshit), I joined a friend of mine that i saw was level 70.
I was like level 15 at the time, start of act 1, normal difficulty, and being used to handle small packs of enemies of my size or smaller.

So I joined him and found myself in a big area somewhere in act 5, that these huge monsters that were so many and would make rows and then circle me to beat me, also casting moves with colorful effects that covered the entire screen. I did my best there for some time, as by the time I stopped I leveled up like 8-9 levels. and it was on expert too.

I was impressed by the difference in scale, the game really ramps up, and I did not notice any kind of drops in framerate even though screen was total mayhem >80% of the time.

*ah, this on xbone version of the game, and the multiplayer game was ..intercontinental too, me being in Greece and my friend on Canada.

TEH-CJ

Banned
yesterday, for testing (the game, not the vs performance bullshit), I joined a friend of mine that i saw was level 70.
I was like level 15 at the time, start of act 1, normal difficulty, and being used to handle small packs of enemies of my size or smaller.

So I joined him and found myself in a big area that these huge monsters that were so many and would make rows and then circle me to beat me, also casting moves with colorful effects that covered the entire screen. I did my best there for some time, as by the time I stopped I leveled up like 8-9 levels. and it was on expert too.

I was impressed by the difference in scale, the game really ramps up, and I did not notice any kind of drops in framerate even though screen was total mayhem >80% of the time.

*ah, this on xbone version of the game, and the multiplayer game was ..intercontinental too, me being in Greece and my friend on Canada.

Ti kanis :) eme elinas

Ape

Banned
And The Last Of Us. Pretty smooth imo.

Lol @ don't trusting the Sony servers... Xbox marketing at it's best.

tlou isn't locked at 60fps. It's probably pretty close to what they describe Diablo on XB1 at, very consistent with slight dips.

I'd say Microsoft dodged a bullet by insisting that Blizzard ups the resolution for the Xbox version. All versions are very close and the power advantage of the more powerful platforms is effectively nullified. Smart.

So you're still holding onto that narrative? The game runs just fine at 1080p on the XB1.

zedge

Have to say considering the difference in power the fact that they pulled off what they did on the xbone is a damn amazing thing. Blizzard deserves the props for that.
More like props to ms for helping them get it to 1080 and still playing great. Otherwise it would have been 900p. Props to blizzard indeed..lol

i finally sunk some hours and it plays really nice (ps4) only problem i had was that 2 out of the 3 dlc thingies didnt appear

i found the fix and gonna try myself

1. Close Diablo (in the dashboard, press the option button and select close application)
2. Go to Settings > PSN
3. Select 'Restore Licenses' and press X
4. Start Diablo again

foamdino

Can someone with both the pc version + either XBone/PS4 version say how much difference the pad makes to the game?

I'm used to playing arpgs with a mouse, but I've heard good things from reviews that the control scheme cooked up by blizzard is actually very good on a pad.

The insistence that Blizzard was forced to up the resolution to 1080p, against their will, when the game runs just fine at 1080p, is laughable. That's what I was pointing out.

But according to them, it wasn't exactly at the top of their "to do" list to push it up to 1080p. They seemed perfectly happy with the original 900p.

As to whether or not MS actually pushed them to get it to 1080p is tough to say. It's become a "he said/he said" issue.

But the fact remains that without extra help from MS, the game was going to be 900p/60fps instead of 1080p/52-60fps.

Curufinwe

Can someone with both the pc version + either XBone/PS4 version say how much difference the pad makes to the game?

I'm used to playing arpgs with a mouse, but I've heard good things from reviews that the control scheme cooked up by blizzard is actually very good on a pad.

You move the stick to move your character and hit buttons to attack. Like we did more than a decade ago with Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance. It's more direct and less clicky.

zedge

My buddy who has put like 300+hrs into PC just loves the controller for this now. He said he probably can't go back to PC controls.

I haven't played PC much but the controller seems to suit this game much better IMO. Love it.

vpance

Reaches as low as 52? Is that it? That's a non-issue. It's basically parity.

It probably dips much lower in the later levels with more players, maybe it even dips for PS4. I hope they update the article with bigger stress tests.

ethomaz

Banned
So PS4 Diablo III is one of the few console games that is 1080p and locked 60 fps?
RESOGUN, Ground Zeroes, Flower (well almost all digital conversion from PS3, Metro Redux, New Order (not 1080p), Sport games, etc.

Well the list is not that small to be fair.

cakely

I've put about a hundred hours into the PC version and I really, really like the console version control scheme. Having access to all six active skills under your fingertips, and having a dodge roll on the right stick gives the game sort of a "god of war" feel that works really well when blowing up hordes of monsters.

The inventory management takes a bit of getting used to but the radial system honestly works quite well. It feels like Blizzard didn't make any compromises.

But according to them, it wasn't exactly at the top of their "to do" list to push it up to 1080p. They seemed perfectly happy with the original 900p.

As to whether or not MS actually pushed them to get it to 1080p is tough to say. It's become a "he said/he said" issue.

No, it's become "a developer said this, and I think that means this" issue. People doing their very best to spin a quote into this very negative narrative.

In all my years of reading and following the video game industry, I don't believe I've ever heard of a third party developer being forced to change the technical makeup of their game. Yet we get this one quote which could easily be interpreted a number of ways, and lots of people have chosen to interpret it in the worst possible way.

the fact remains that without extra help from MS, the game was going to be 900p/60fps instead of 1080p/52-60fps.

The game is 1080p and 60fps the vast majority of the time. Very rarely it goes below that, and even more rarely it actually hits 52fps. This is better performance than the vast majority of games reach these days. Yet we've got people suggesting Blizzard was strong armed into this unfortunate situation. lol

ethomaz

Banned
lol at guys marketing Xbox version servers when both consoles are using the same Battle.net servers.

I can't even... lol

Artorias

Banned
No, it's become "a developer said this, and I think that means this" issue. People doing their very best to spin a quote into this very negative narrative.

In all my years of reading and following the video game industry, I don't believe I've ever heard of a third party developer being forced to change the technical makeup of their game. Yet we get this one quote which could easily be interpreted a number of ways, and lots of people have chosen to interpret it in the worst possible way.

The game is 1080p and 60fps the vast majority of the time. Very rarely it goes below that, and even more rarely it actually hits 52fps. This is better performance than the vast majority of games reach these days. Yet we've got people suggesting Blizzard was strong armed into this unfortunate situation. lol

You seem to be the only one raging about that quote in this thread. Maybe you should make a new thread about the injustice of random comments on the internet rather than derail this one.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Great news that there are no compromised ports here. Good on Blizzard.

To be fair the PS4 might be compromise. It obviously has overhead that is not being used. They probably got it to 1080P 60fps early on and called it a day. They were aiming for parity like Destiny.

Wynnebeck

Banned
lol at guys marketing Xbox version servers when both consoles are using the same Battle.net servers.

I can't even... lol

Gotta justify that 52FPS version man! Jokes aside, I really want to get the game on PS4 since I didn't beat it on PC. I bet it looks amazing.

pixlexic

Banned
To be fair the PS4 might be compromise. It obviously has overhead that is not being used. They probably got it to 1080P 60fps early on and called it a day. They were aiming for parity like Destiny.

lol no..they put the PC game on it at the highest settings. Why would they add to it just because there is more power there? that doesn't makes sense.

Top Bottom