• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Discussion] Are you a Fan of Monolith Soft? Come in here and tell me why/why not!

Are you a fan of Monolith Soft?

• Total voters
8186-630-315-b25c457cd4d4f959d390c24c9b9c7b9a865ced80.jpg

This is something I had intended to do for some time. Personally, I'm the biggest fan of their's. I own every game they developed (minus one obscure mobile phone-game that never released outside of Japan) and whatever they develop is instantly at the #1 spot of my most wanted-list.

But as I keep telling everyone how great Monolith Soft is, i wondered: Are there other people like me?

If possible I'd like to use this thread for 2 purposes:

1.) Answer if you're a fan or not, and why that is so. Which game made you a fan, what are they lacking iyo?

2.) Talk about your favourite Monolith Soft-game! Also what you're expecting from their upcoming games. Let's exchange experiences and hopes/expectations!

Salvager rule #546: It's not a Xenoblade-game without boobs, nopon and god!

41640-1280-600-59bececd1cecdc982bcd6a17daacaadfe0d970e5.jpg

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’ve played all the Xeno games. I really enjoy their story telling, characters and world building. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I honestly wished they fleshed out Xenosaga. The grand idea of making it into a 5 (?) game saga backfired. (It may have been 7, my memory is fuzzy.) I liked the bible spin of the story, but it was rough around the edges.

No sir. I can't get into their games. I wouldn't say they are SHITTY games, it's obvious people like them for a reason. But I have a hard time playing most Japanese games these days. They tend to be just so cringe filled that I can't do it.

Their role in making the Breath of the Wild map is my favorite contribution of theirs so far. I also love Xenoblade X. For some reason I bounced off the first Xenoblade Chronicles and so I haven't yet tried Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I think they're among the very best open-world map makers in the game industry, right up there with Rockstar. They understand how to create a map with spectacle, with a good sense of direction and verticality. They know how to make distinct landscapes that communicate flow to the player and help steer your eyes to areas of interest using sight-lines and sharp features to subtly guide the player's path. Their maps are packed with hidden holes and never feel too crowded or too sparse.

xenobladex_01.jpg

Spectacles like these were once only the domain of pre-rendered JRPG backgrounds.

tumblr_pdwfrbsPjU1w46i3eo1_400.gifv

I played Xenogears on the PS Vita once, after finishing Wild Arms, but didn't get very far into it before losing interest. Not sure I would feel any different about Xenosaga or Xenoblade. I'm just not as drawn into future fantasy RPGs I guess.

Last edited:
Bumping the thread, because only 12 people voted so far.

Also because I feel sad about the lack of new Monolith Soft-announcements :( It looks like people are settling for the 4th release of Xenoblade 1 to be MS's only game (not counting their support on BotW2). It's been since 2017 that they released a full new game. MS used to release one new game per year, with the exception of Xenoblade to Xenoblade X, due to the jump to HD. It's really not crazy or entitled at all imo to expect their new ip to release next year, too. Then Xenoblade 3 in 2021.

They made the best JRPG of the generation then a good game then a game that was a chore to play. The quality of their games has been declining.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I loved most of their games, the only one I didn’t enjoy as much was Xenoblade X because it felt it was trying to be offline MMO, and the UI was just terrible to me but it still had fantastic world to explore.

I've never played a game from them, but I have admired some of the art direction they've had in their games. That one game that came out on the Wii U looked fantastic, visually. Aaallllmmmoostt made me want to buy it. Their games just don't interest me, but it's hard to argue against the art direction.

Last edited:

Zenaku

Absolutely love MS.

I've mentioned this before, but despite all the flair and glitter that western studios and the likes of Square Enix put into their games, despite how impressive their games look on the big screen, or how much weight they put behind their story-telling; none of it excites me. It's all one-and-done.

Monolith Soft is different for me. I want to experience them again. And again. Their cutscenes don't look as great as the big hitters, but their camera-work, animation and timing create scenes that are exciting to watch. I often boot up Xenoblade 2 just to rewatch some of the cutscenes, and I have a few of my favourites recorded for quicker access.

While other developers care about whether you can see the individual strands of hair on a characters head, or whether a characters skin indents properly when they scratch their nose, MS focus more on action and pacing. It started with a few amazing scenes in Xenoblade, faltered slightly in Xeno X (although they began using a new animation technique, so I'll let them off for that one) and culminated in Xenoblade 2. Can't wait for their next original game, but I'll certainly enjoy Xenoblade Remaster with the brand new cutscenes.

Their cutscenes don't look as great as the big hitters, but their camera-work, animation and timing create scenes that are exciting to watch.

I was about to rip you apart, but then you went into more detail, and yes, *so* agreed!

No idea why MS seemingly is the only game dev to pull this off reliably, but their cutscenes aways are so intense. I remember one early scene in Xenoblade 1 where nothing but some basic flying vehicle is shown ... but the camera work made it present such gravitas that even that short, not-so-important cutscene felt satisfying. Meanwhile I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 3, a game made by Square Enix/Disney, the masters of cgi, and all cutscenes are boring and terrible :/

And yes, Xenoblade 2 mastered MS's cutscene art. Some ignorant idiots criticize the game for being 'too anime' (which is a super dumb thing to say anyway btw), but the thing is: YES, Xenoblade 2 achieves the feeling of a GREAT anime! The cutscenes in Xenoblade 2 are *so good* they function as a cg-animated anime series! I've never experienced that before in any jrpg. Even good jrpgs only have good cutscenes "for a video game". Not so Xenoblade 2 - it has good cutscenes, on par with an anime. ❤

Ah, I'm so excited for both the new ip and Xenoblade 3. I have a strong feeling that the new ip will make the whole industry go 'wow!', similar to when Xenoblade X was revealed and we saw how you can seamlessly enter mechas and fly around. And I think Xenoblade 3 will blow usaway story-wise, making Klaus the protagonist, with Shulk and Nia as part of his spaceship crew, traveling space to uncover the truth about the Conduit/Zohar. :eek:

Danjin44

I was about to rip you apart, but then you went into more detail, and yes, *so* agreed!

No idea why MS seemingly is the only game dev to pull this off reliably, but their cutscenes aways are so intense. I remember one early scene in Xenoblade 1 where nothing but some basic flying vehicle is shown ... but the camera work made it present such gravitas that even that short, not-so-important cutscene felt satisfying. Meanwhile I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 3, a game made by Square Enix/Disney, the masters of cgi, and all cutscenes are boring and terrible :/

And yes, Xenoblade 2 mastered MS's cutscene art. Some ignorant idiots criticize the game for being 'too anime' (which is a super dumb thing to say anyway btw), but the thing is: YES, Xenoblade 2 achieves the feeling of a GREAT anime! The cutscenes in Xenoblade 2 are *so good* they function as a cg-animated anime series! I've never experienced that before in any jrpg. Even good jrpgs only have good cutscenes "for a video game". Not so Xenoblade 2 - it has good cutscenes, on par with an anime. ❤

Ah, I'm so excited for both the new ip and Xenoblade 3. I have a strong feeling that the new ip will make the whole industry go 'wow!', similar to when Xenoblade X was revealed and we saw how you can seamlessly enter mechas and fly around. And I think Xenoblade 3 will blow usaway story-wise, making Klaus the protagonist, with Shulk and Nia as part of his spaceship crew, traveling space to uncover the truth about the Conduit/Zohar. :eek:
I enjoyed KHIII but I agree with you 100% that Xenoblade 2 's cutscene its waaaay above KHIII even tho SE put way more money in to KHIII. It just matter of XC2 having much, much better direction.

sublimit

Banned
I can't say i'm a fan because i have only played Xenoblade Chronicles (which blew my mind and is one of my favorite games ever) and Xenoblade X which although i loved it i haven't finished it (i got sidetracked by other games) and some 50-60 hours went to waste since i now need to start over.
I also have Disaster Day of Crisis but i haven't played it yet.

However based on what i've played i consider them as an extremelly talented studio (it was crazy what they did with the Wii's and WiiU's limited power) and i'm very curious to see something about their upcoming Fantasy game.

Jad-Just_A_Dale

Neo Member
I'm a big fan of theirs! They've had me since Baten Kaitos and I wish that it'd get a rerelease and a 3rd entry.

The main thing I'd complain about is probably the business side. I wish that they could somehow double in size while maintaining their quality and culture so that they could do twice as much work.

I've enjoyed everything of theirs that I've managed to play, but Ihave to say that I want a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X more than I want a new Baten Kaitos at the moment. I want it ported and to have them streamline more of the system or at least make it easier to understand from the beginning.

Danjin44

I can't say i'm a fan because i have only played Xenoblade Chronicles (which blew my mind and is one of my favorite games ever) and Xenoblade X which although i loved it i haven't finished it (i got sidetracked by other games) and some 50-60 hours went to waste since i now need to start over.
I also have Disaster Day of Crisis but i haven't played it yet.

However based on what i've played i consider them as an extremelly talented studio (it was crazy what they did with the Wii's and WiiU's limited power) and i'm very curious to see something about their upcoming Fantasy game.
As much as I want to see Xenoblade 3 I wouldn't mind seeing new IP from them.

Zenaku

Yeah, Xenoblade 2 isn't just anime, it's great anime. I think part of it is how they actually create the cutscenes.

Big studios get their actors in motion suits and record them playing out the script at a motion capture studio. MS does all their animation in-house with self-contained motion capture suits. The animations for Xenoblade X's main character were performed by a scenario writer with martial arts experience, for example. MS should find it a lot easier to make changes and refinements for their cutscenes.

Never made a good game. Their work only seems good and unique when you compare their works to Nintendo's on their consoles. Outside of that they don't have a leg to stand on.

They have good production which also helps,

Danjin44

Never made a good game. Their work only seems good and unique when you compare their works to Nintendo's on their consoles. Outside of that they don't have a leg to stand on.

They have good production which also helps,
And what exactly makes thief games not good? Because you personally didn’t like them? I guess by your logic CD Project never made good game I never liked any of their games.

Last edited:
And what exactly makes thief games not good?

I think the Thief games are pretty good actually outside the latest one, but that has nothing to do with Monolith.

(Hey, next time you rapidly attack someones opinion on a subjective based thread topic, make sure you actually read what you're posting, cool? Kay.)

Danjin44

I think the Thief games are pretty good actually outside the latest one, but that has nothing to do with Monolith.

(Hey, next time you rapidly attack someones opinion on a subjective based thread topic, make sure you actually read what you're posting, cool? Kay.)
You said they never made good game, in what way? Just because you personally didn’t like their games it doesn’t make them bad. My example was if I didn’t like none of the CD Project’s games does that mean they never made good game?

You said they never made good game, in what way? Just because you personally didn’t like their games it doesn’t make them bad. My example was if I didn’t like none of the CD Project’s games does that mean they never made good game?

You're example is irrelevant because you're deciding to put words in my mouth and making your own imaginary assumptions.

I'll wait for a slightly less aggressive Animboo to ask for my opinion so I can break it down without having my words distorted and you placing your own thoughts into the post pretending I made imaginary statements I didn't make. Since it's clear you can't possibly accept someone may not like these games for gameplay and technical reasons.

Danjin44

You're example is irrelevant because you're deciding to put words in my mouth and making your own imaginary assumptions.

I'll wait for a slightly less aggressive Animboo to ask for my opinion so I can break it down without having my words distorted and you placing your own thoughts into the post pretending I made imaginary statements I didn't make. Since it's clear you can't possibly accept someone may not like these games for gameplay and technical reasons.
And what exactly makes thief games not good?
That part I made spelling mistake, I meant to write “their” not thief.

My point was you said “they never made a good game” which you made it sound like as a fact which is not true. If you mean they never made a game you personally like that’s much more understandable.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

I'm more a fan of Tetsuya Takahashi than his company, but I guess they go hand in hand in the end.

It's just that the man is such a treasure in this industry, along with Nihon Falcom's Toshihiro Kondo they are probably the only game designers at high positions in their companies with such an absurdly passionate vision for world building and storytelling in their games which is so rare in an industry that keeps telling developers "story is the least important part of a videogame" I applaud these men for giving two fucks about that statement and just keep doing heavy narrative driven games.

Hi everyone, back from a self-requested ban. I want to apologize for my 'heated' attitude last year and I hope I can be more relaxed from now on.

I wanted to make this a new thread, unfortunately I currently can't create threads (hopefully I'll re-earn that privilege eventually), so this is the 2nd best thread to write the following:

Xenoblade Definitive Edition is releasing on May 29th and I'm really looking forward to it. But that's not what I want to say. Over the past years I've seen so much off-putting, frustrating toxic in-fighting amongst people who like Xenoblade A, but feel they have to shit on Xenoblade B and/or Xenoblade C. I find that extremely disappointing as someone who loves ALL Xenoblade-games (and Xenogears, too. Haven't yet played Xenosaga, but I'd probably love it, too 🤷‍♀️🐧).

Each Xenoblade-game has its own, unique focus, so yes, different people will prefer different things. But is it really necessary to repeat the same, old complaints all the time? Yes, X' characters have stiff, "unusual" faces. Yes, XB2 has some sexual humor and sexy character designs. The town music in X can be annoying, understood. And you don't like the harem ending in XB2 and the gacha. Ok. But ... why not focus on what you like? Why not talk about the important things? 4-5 sexual scenes in a 70 hour jrpg makes it a problematic pervy game? Come on.

I'd like to talk more about the stuff that puts Xenoblade-games above the rest. The motivating exploration. The gorgeous world design. The exciting cutscene direction. The thought-provoking deeper story threads. These things.

Xenoblade 1 is about to re-release in its most beautiful version, and I'd like to enjoy this game without constantly lowering other Xeno-games. I'll add that these are my general thoughts on this topic, not necessarily relating to neogaf. But I hope to find fellow xeno-fans who love all these games just like I do.

I'm also currently in the process of properly putting together my fine little collection of all things Xeno. I have 5 more items on the way and hope to be able to make photos or even a little video before Xenoblade DE releases.

Anyway, hi again, and stsy healthy, everyone 🙋‍♀️

martino

xc and xcx are incredible
xc2 is good but not at great level for me

i can't wait for xc definitive edition to released for a third improved run.

Last edited:

Aion002

Fear is great... The sequels not so much....... Oh wait! Wrong Monolith...

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

I liked Xenoblade on the Wii and I will definitely buy the sequels on the Switch when I buy one.

They also made Baiten Kaitos, right? I never played but it always appeared to be awesome to me.

Last edited:
Fear is great... The sequels not so much....... Oh wait! Wrong Monolith...

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

I liked Xenoblade on the Wii and I will definitely buy the sequels on the Switch when I buy one.

They also made Baiten Kaitos, right? I never played but it always appeared to be awesome to me.

Baten Kaitos is an awesome, very unique game that suffers from bad audio quality (voices suffer a lot) and at least 2 badly set hard fights that can potentially screw up your savegame if you're too underleveled. I'd look up those points on google to be prepared. The game also has one of the most exciting twists in all of gaming, but I won't elaborate on that for obvious reasons.

Baten Kaitos Origins is the more balanced and modern game (for example health regenerates after battle, no need for potions). I found it a little dull compared to the first one, but it elaborates on stuff from BK1 which makes it interesting in terms of the wider lore of its world.

If you're prepared for (or even desire) a rather weird jrpg that's of high quality, then the BK games are a great choice.

Aion002

Baten Kaitos is an awesome, very unique game that suffers from bad audio quality (voices suffer a lot) and at least 2 badly set hard fights that can potentially screw up your savegame if you're too underleveled. I'd look up those points on google to be prepared. The game also has one of the most exciting twists in all of gaming, but I won't elaborate on that for obvious reasons.

Baten Kaitos Origins is the more balanced and modern game (for example health regenerates after battle, no need for potions). I found it a little dull compared to the first one, but it elaborates on stuff from BK1 which makes it interesting in terms of the wider lore of its world.

If you're prepared for (or even desire) a rather weird jrpg that's of high quality, then the BK games are a great choice.
It's on my want to play list, if one day Nintendo releases a remaster I will sure buy it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I am not a fan and find a very notable one of their games particularly trashy, but Baten Kaitos is pretty nice. Also they helped on the best Zelda, Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Xenogears is one of my favourite games ever and most of the guys that did it are in MD so yeah, I consider myself a fan :messenger_grinning_sweat:

From their works as MS I would say Xenosaga episode 3 is the best work they did. I think episode 1 is better in some things but 3 is more polished in general.

Looking forward to Xenoblade DE to jump into this series.

Hi everyone, back from a self-requested ban. I want to apologize for my 'heated' attitude last year and I hope I can be more relaxed from now on.

I wanted to make this a new thread, unfortunately I currently can't create threads (hopefully I'll re-earn that privilege eventually), so this is the 2nd best thread to write the following:

Xenoblade Definitive Edition is releasing on May 29th and I'm really looking forward to it. But that's not what I want to say. Over the past years I've seen so much off-putting, frustrating toxic in-fighting amongst people who like Xenoblade A, but feel they have to shit on Xenoblade B and/or Xenoblade C. I find that extremely disappointing as someone who loves ALL Xenoblade-games (and Xenogears, too. Haven't yet played Xenosaga, but I'd probably love it, too 🤷‍♀️🐧).

Each Xenoblade-game has its own, unique focus, so yes, different people will prefer different things. But is it really necessary to repeat the same, old complaints all the time? Yes, X' characters have stiff, "unusual" faces. Yes, XB2 has some sexual humor and sexy character designs. The town music in X can be annoying, understood. And you don't like the harem ending in XB2 and the gacha. Ok. But ... why not focus on what you like? Why not talk about the important things? 4-5 sexual scenes in a 70 hour jrpg makes it a problematic pervy game? Come on.

I'd like to talk more about the stuff that puts Xenoblade-games above the rest. The motivating exploration. The gorgeous world design. The exciting cutscene direction. The thought-provoking deeper story threads. These things.

Xenoblade 1 is about to re-release in its most beautiful version, and I'd like to enjoy this game without constantly lowering other Xeno-games. I'll add that these are my general thoughts on this topic, not necessarily relating to neogaf. But I hope to find fellow xeno-fans who love all these games just like I do.

I'm also currently in the process of properly putting together my fine little collection of all things Xeno. I have 5 more items on the way and hope to be able to make photos or even a little video before Xenoblade DE releases.

Anyway, hi again, and stsy healthy, everyone 🙋‍♀️
OutrageousFacts, is that you?😁🐧

Edit: Just to be clear, I liked having him on here. The shrug emote (combined with a penguin) just reminds me of his posting style a lot.

And I hope he'll ask for his self-requested permaban to be lifted someday, or when Xenoblade Remastered is released. He clearly has a passion for the games he loves and while he tends to jump into arguments a bit quickly, his discussions are decent food for thought.
Took you long enough, heh.

Fbh

I like them, I think specially these days they are one of few good studios making JRPG's I enjoy the stories, world and combat in their games and I think they do a good job at including the usual JRPG padding but making most of it optional and still offering a solid experience for those that just want to play through the story........ which is why I'm disappointed by their current situation.

Xenoblade 2 was good but as far as I know the project has held back a bit by the fact that a large part of the studio was helping out Nintendo with Breath of Wild. So I was looking forward to what they do next as it
should be a game they can put 100% of their focus on.... but Xenoblade 2 came out over 2 years ago, then we got a meh DLC and their only currently announced project is a Xenoblade 1 remaster,

Last edited:
Love 'em. Adored Shulk and the gang in Xenoblade and I'm eagerly looking forward to the definitive edition.

But something clicked even harder with Xenoblade Chronicles X. At first I dropped the game because I was dissappointed when comparing it to Xenoblade. But when I decided to go back and finish it, I got over the fact the characters and story line are weaker than XC and fell completely in love with XCX for other reasons. The awesomeness of planet Mirra really sticks with me, and flying around it in my cool mech brought me a lot of joy.

The combat system, which did not impress me that much early on, came to be absolutely gripping once I focused on overdrive mode and building its damage multiplier counter while listening to that awesome music. I enjoyed using overdrive so much I decided to stick around the post game building the ultimate super mech that can one-shot enormous dinosaurs, and I had a great time fighting every hidden superboss and using the light multiplayer elements as I did that.

It's a weirder game compared to XC, which is accurately described as a modern jrpg classic, but I'm a weird person. I would be absolutely hyped for an X sequel or even a Switch port. Looking forward to trying Xenoblade Chronicles 2, although I won't get around to it until I play XC Definitive Edition first. But after enjoying XC1 and XCX even more, I expect anything Monolift puts out to be special.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was impressed with Xenoblade but Xenoblade Cross could have been Tetsuya Takahashi's best game by far if he'd given it more detailed plotting and pushed the narrative harder. That race against time and the plot reveal to the truth of what the humans are was amazing then it just sort of drops that level of urgency and intrigue. I've not played the Xenosaga games properly yet. I got 10 hours into the first one then stopped playing it for Dark Souls a few years ago. I got them all so I'll play them.

As far as ambition goes the core staff for the company will probably never ascend the heights they got with Xenogears.

I like their games but if the focus is open world shit over plot I might go else where. I hear Xenoblade 2 has people split though, they either hate it or love it.

My biggest issue with their current games is the massive amount of fetch quests. Instead of making 100+ hour games riddles with a never ending amount of meaningless quests i would rather they make a solid 50 hour game with a few meaningful side quests. Really my only complaint. Otherwise their games are quite enjoyable.

Last edited:

Danjin44

My biggest issue with their current games is the massive amount of fetch quests. Instead of making 100+ hour games riddles with a never ending amount of meaningless quests i would rather they make a solid 50 hour game with a few meaningful side quests. Really my only complaint. Otherwise their games are quite enjoyable.
This one aspect I liked about Xenoblade 2, its still had fetch quests from random NPC but it each rare Blade also had their own quest and most of them were pretty good except Ursula, her quest really, really sucked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Xenosaga Episode 1 and the original Xenoblade when they came out, but I feel like most of their other stuff has been a miss. I wanted to check out Xenoblade 2, but I simply cannot get on with that art style.

I liked Xenosaga Episode 1 and the original Xenoblade when they came out, but I feel like most of their other stuff has been a miss. I wanted to check out Xenoblade 2, but I simply cannot get on with that art style.

Did you play Xenosaga Episode 3? In my opinion it's one of their best games.

I like most of what Monolith does. I’m replaying Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and I’m reminded of how much I like it. I don’t really have much to add except that I’m very excited for whatever Monolith is working on. Hopefully it won’t be a long wait.

Shrap

I prefer the other Monolith - Blood, Condemned, FEAR. Even the Middle Earth games are decent.

Xenoblade bored me and its characters annoyed me with their lame repetitive phrases during and after every battle. It looked great though, really pushed the Wii to its limits.

Top Bottom