• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disingenuous Discourse

JayDucker

Firstly, what the fuck is going on in here?

Secondly, where are the boobie pics I'm hearing about?

I think the mods stepped in and killed the boobies.

tumblr_ncoguhnjlx1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

So I’m going to be real here.

While the ban may have been warranted. I didn’t read the Spider-Man 2 thread.

Do I think bans in general are warranted, yes I do.

Do I think there is paid actors on Gaf, Famiboards, Reset and other sites that want to push agendas or at least keep the thread going in a positive light?

Yes, yes I believe this is true, IMO.

Do I believe a true and honest conversation can take place in any of these sites on topics that may paint products or situations in a negative light?

No, not usually anyway!

That said, a conversation of some substance can still take place. It is hot you approach it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The issue was (1) a totally needless argument about a game not even being a contender for GOTY before it's even released. It's the preview thread and the majority of the discussion was shifted to whether the game will or will be a GOTY contender. And (2) moving the goalposts midway from "won't be a GOTY contender" to "won't win GOTY" to "the publications that gave SM1 GOTY awards and nominations aren't major gaming award outlets."

That becomes a disingenuous discourse that never comes to a resolution. It just keeps spiraling down and down because goalposts are constantly shifted. Of course, mods had to thread-banned him.
Are we seriously suggesting that we not bring up GOTY talk in a game that is bound to be a GOTY contender? IIRC, every single Starfield and FF16 thread had people either praising or downplaying their chances of becoming GOTY. I am too lazy to pull up receipts but you all were in those threads downplaying starfield when i kept saying it will be a goty contender. i didnt accuse you of derailing the thread or reported to the mods.

Im sorry, but when you are a first party studio for Sony, it comes with certain expectations. since 2009, they have won goty 7 times. thats literally one every other year. when you are tasked with the only first party exclusive in 2023, you are going to get goty talk in previews.

Sorry, but this kind of gate keeping is why era turned into a shithole. if you want gaf to become a bubble, keep reporting these guys. we all know how this ends.

Last edited:
Are we seriously suggesting that we not bring up GOTY talk in a game that is bound to be a GOTY contender? IIRC, every single Starfield and FF16 thread had people either praising or downplaying their chances of becoming GOTY. I am too lazy to pull up receipts but you all were in those threads downplaying starfield when i kept saying it will be a goty contender. i didnt accuse you of derailing the thread or reported to the mods.

Im sorry, but when you are a first party studio for Sony, it comes with certain expectations. since 2009, they have won goty 7 times. thats literally one every other year. when you are tasked with the only first party exclusive in 2023, you are going to get goty talk in previews.

Sorry, but this kind of gate keeping is why era turned into a shithole. if you want gaf to become a bubble, keep reporting these guys. we all know how this ends.

He's just saying that the claim that SM2 wouldn't be a GOTY contender is disingenuous....

People claimed Starfield would be a GOTY contender but were skeptical it would actually win GOTY. Starfield will still be a contender this year, but an 83 meta isn't going to win it much outside of maybe Xbox enthusiast sites.

I think SM2 will have probably an 87+ meta and be in the conversation, but when you have games with mid 90s metas to compete with it's a really high bar and SM2 isn't that game.

SlimySnake

Heisenberg was addressing the constant moving of goalposts. Here's the rest...

well, OP C Cashon this is exactly where you went too far. just be glad that you were only threadbanned. Next time just man up and take the ban/warning. hopefully, the fact that you are not banned despite posting this thread shows that this place is not like era.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

1. I didn't report him. I rarely report people.
2. The FF16 and Starfield GOTY discussion is happening in the review threads, after the games have been released -- which is completely valid.
3. As I said, the worst part of that argument was the constant shifting of goalposts (for which I provided receipts) and you have completely ignored that in your response.

There is no gatekeeping. But it's not difficult to tell when someone is arguing just for argument's sake.

SlimySnake

1. I didn't report him. I rarely report people.
2. The FF16 and Starfield GOTY discussion is happening in the review threads, after the games have been released -- which is completely valid.
3. As I said, the worst part of that argument was the constant shifting of goalposts (for which I provided receipts) and you have completely ignored that in your response.

There is no gatekeeping. But it's not difficult to tell when someone is arguing just for argument's sake.
I don’t know man. I remember being in a lot of starfield preview threads discussing its potential as a goty contender and constantly posting goty tracker results for fallout 4 as proof that even the worst Bethesda games get goty awards.

If we ban goty discussion in preview threads then everyone who comments saying a game looks like a goty would also get banned.

I called out the guy for saying the bit about fanboys, but i didn’t see any instances of goalposts shifting. He had a decent back and forth with you, both of you were respectful, but that’s about it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don’t know man. I remember being in a lot of starfield preview threads discussing its potential as a goty contender and constantly posting goty tracker results for fallout 4 as proof that even the worst Bethesda games get goty awards.

If we ban goty discussion in preview threads then everyone who comments saying a game looks like a goty would also get banned.

I called out the guy for saying the bit about fanboys, but i didn’t see any instances of goalposts shifting. He had a decent back and forth with you, both of you were respectful, but that’s about it.
I've shared receipts for him moving the goalposts. His arguments went like this:
  • "Spider-Man 2 won't be a GOTY contender"
  • "Spider-Man 1 wasn't a GOTY contender"
  • "Spider-Man 1 wasn't a GOTY winner"
  • "Spider-Man 1 GOTY wins and nominees were not from major media publications."
  • "GDC, The Game Awards, Golden Joystick, New York Game Awards, DICE, Wired, Verge, etc. are not major gaming publications."
  • "Spider-Man 2 won't be a GOTY winner."
That's it from me as far as this discussion goes.

Topher

Gold Member

The argument wasn't that GOTY talk should be "banned". I don't think anyone suggested such a thing. The argument was that GOTY talk was premature and there wasn't enough to make that determination either way. The goal posting moving was the fact that the previous games were used as evidence that Spider-man wasn't a GOTY contender as Cashon claimed they had not received any, which was factually false. He said any non-PlayStation media outlet would do. When presented with several non-PlayStation media outlets that had awarded Spider-man GOTY, he moved the goalposts to "major outlets".

Topher

Gold Member
I've shared receipts for him moving the goalposts. His arguments went like this:
  • "Spider-Man 2 won't be a GOTY contender"
  • "Spider-Man 1 wasn't a GOTY contender"
  • "Spider-Man 1 wasn't a GOTY winner"
  • "Spider-Man 1 GOTY wins and nominees were not from major media publications."
  • "GDC, The Game Awards, Golden Joystick, New York Game Awards, DICE, Wired, Verge, etc. are not major gaming publications."
  • "Spider-Man 2 won't be a GOTY winner."
That's it from me as far as this discussion goes.

Receipts....
I just don't see how anyone looks at it and legitimately thinks it's a true game of the year contender.
Neither of the previous games won any Game of the Year awards, that I know of, and I think it's silly to think this will.
UJHBHpj.png

I will concede that Spider-Man won Game of the Year awards from Wired, ShackNews, and The Verge (although I wouldn't consider any of them to be major gaming publications/sites, e.g., IGN, GameSpot, The Game Awards, etc).

This is textbook goal post moving, SlimySnake SlimySnake

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I regret asking that question to be fair.

:(

Another Riky moment for me as long as cashon remains here.

Nah, he brought all this on himself. Should have never created this thread. Should have manned up and taken the thread ban. I imagine the only reason the mods are allowing this thread to stay open is how badly Cashon is being exposed here. Just made things worse for himself.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Nah, he brought all this on himself. Should have never created this thread. Should have manned up and taken the thread ban. I imagine the only reason the mods are allowing this thread to stay open is how badly Cashon is being exposed here. Just made things worse for himself.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Pretty much. This wasn't an accident he knew what he was doing.

I've opened a thread asking why PS5 was selling as good as it is without notable exclusives and my thread has been deleted, not even just closed.
So can't say I'm that surprised

Well because you refuse to accept why its selling so we'll. It's as simple as people buying the system to play games. After so many years you should have learned this by now.

If you want proof just look at the numbers.

If your still asking this question it's because you refuse to accept that people are buying the system for their personal enjoyment. It's not a problem with consumers but an issue with you.

I don't shit on people that buy Xbox's because I'm sure they have valid reasons for doing so. You should do the same for people that buy PS5s. They have every right to buy one system over another. Or the opposite is true.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I've opened a thread asking why PS5 was selling as good as it is without notable exclusives and my thread has been deleted, not even just closed.
I can confirm it was a great thread, would read again.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I am confused, when you say exclusive I assume you mean "only on PS5" but people just want to play good PS4 games at 60 FPS... like that's game changing, its why when starfield comes out with a creative choice that sucks balls people call them out on it. PS5 is selling well because it can play new PS4 titles (which are exclusive to PS4 & PS5) at 60 FPS.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I cant understand why people love to go this heated argument over what will win GOTY......who the fuck cares!? My GOTY based on the games I enjoyed, I dont give rat ass what VGA shows consider GOTY.

Lets say Spider Man 2 wins GOTY, still not gonna make me want play that games since I'm not in to Marvel/DC comic crap. Only one reason I watch VGA shows, because of trailers and nothing else.

Yeah, I agree. It's an award given by gaming media. Big deal. I don't care who wins. The only reason I can see for getting passionate about it is that winning a GOTY award can sometimes boost sales a little, so it can help your favorite game. Otherwise, who cares what some media outlet decides to bestow their award upon? Awards, and award shows in particular, just make me wince.

Top Bottom