• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disingenuous Discourse

I wonder where some ppl were or what they thought when TellTale's The Walking Dead got overall GotY. Or It Takes Two.

Like it was mentioned in some threads...Death Stranding got overall GotY and is sitting at an 82, 83 review score. And is hella divisive.

I can see Spider-Man 2 getting some awards. Spider-Man 1 and Miles also got some GotY awards. Some ppl just take this stuff waaaay too serious.
What is the point of saying it won GOTY awards, we all know there is only one GOTY, that's the one with the most GOTY awards.

ClosBSAS

Lol I hate the spiderman games, that's for sure. They are overrated as hell, but I have to give it to insomniac, they are wizards. But yeah, it's not going to win goty specially in 2023

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Dissent is necessary for a society to operate freely. But not a message board they can have a collective commune of fanboyism.

That's good to know. I was actually worried you were drunk posting shit that could get you in trouble.

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF
Or worse into Acrotomophilia.

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I can hardly call Insomniac's Spider-Man games one of the best games ever made, cuz they're just not, as games, as a comic book games as well, cuz this award goes to Arkham series which is miles better when it comes to gameplay and everything around it as well as overall pacing. But what Insomniac did right is that they've made the best Spider-Man game when it comes to story, characters, set pieces, production, exceptional direction and overall presentations of everything else around these aspects (Silver Lining DLC included). The problem is that everything else is just too much, very derivative, rote, boring, not interesting and uninspired open-world crap, not to mention combat which gets old extremely fast cuz of just how much of it in the game.

I highly doubt that Spider-Man 2 will adress any of these issues, something tells me their Wolverine game will suffer from them as well, unless they'll make much more linear and story-driven andventure and experience - which I hope they'll do, cuz making open world Wolverine game simply doesn't fit the character at all and Raven's game (X360/PS3) clearly shows what's best for Wolverine when it comes to video games.

Last edited:
Free? I paid 5 bucks for that pic
Well YOU have yes. But not the OP who got threadbanned, complained publicly and then saw the pic because YOU gifted someone a gold sub. So yes, all of us got a free tit augment pic. Thanks to OP starting this thread and someone goofy enough like you to waste $5 on such silly things. Probably available for free on Google anyway, bet you got scammed for $5 and that guy just took a pic from Google images and posted it here.

Wait a minute....did I miss Tits!?

Ffs
You did. They were big ones too but they got deleted cause apparently it was too much tits. Can I get a new tag please dear mods ? "The Boobie Lover" or "Big Boob Fetishist" or "Big Boobs Collector" so me and and kanjobazooie kanjobazooie can both have the word "Fetishist" in our tag together now? I'd love ya for it and send you sexy boob pics to your DMs free of charge! Mod of War Mod of War :p

Last edited:
Lol I hate the spiderman games, that's for sure. They are overrated as hell, but I have to give it to insomniac, they are wizards. But yeah, it's not going to win goty specially in 2023

What's going to win goty?

I don't think it will be Spider-man 2 by the press, simply because we have TOTK and BG3 which received very high reviews so that's a big hurdle to overcome. I also think BG3 may take it for being rewarded as a reclamation project that takes the industry by surprise. It certainly isn't my kind of game though. SM2 is much more likely to be my GOTY

either way, SM2 will be nominated

Last edited:
Arkham series which is miles better when it comes to gameplay and everything around it as well as overall pacing

Can someone explain this? Seems like people who argue this just like Batman more than Spider-man

The gameplay of SM is objectively far better than the Arkham gameplay in terms of combat. Pacing, story, traversal, characters are all objectively better in SM2. The only thing Arkham did have (in Asylum) was metroidvania level design, if that's your thing.

Topher

Gold Member
Well YOU have yes. But not the OP who got threadbanned, complained publicly and then saw the pic because YOU gifted someone a gold sub. So yes, all of us got a free tit augment pic. Thanks to OP starting this thread and someone goofy enough like you to waste $5 on such silly things. Probably available for free on Google anyway, bet you got scammed for $5 and that guy just took a pic from Google images and posted it here.

Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

ReBurn

Gold Member
Don't care, saw boobies

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Can someone explain this? Seems like people who argue this just like Batman more than Spider-man
That's not the case with me. I like Spider-Man, the 90s cartoon series is one of my favorites of all time along with Batman, Batman Beyond and so on. I'll even go as far as to say that Insomniac's Spider-Man games when it comes to story are much, much closer to the 90s catoon series and I like it A LOT!
The gameplay of SM is objectively far better than the Arkham gameplay in terms of combat.
Completely disagree. I've played and finished all Arkham games multiple times and Spider Man's combat got boring very fast, it's just way too much of it, there's way too much enemies, the fights are way too long, boring and tedious, it never changes, even at the end. The most fun I had when it comes to combat were during multiple boss fights in the story. Arkham games are much more story focused, each fight was staged to fit the story, to not bore you to death or to prolong the game time, each fight had a purpose and meaning behind it, sealth is much better, gadgets are much better and overal flow of the fights as well.

At no point in any Arkham game I got bored to death, but at some point in Spider-Man (around 50% mark) I lowered the dificulty to the lowest setting just to get through all this boring and extremely long hord fights faster and see the story. Even Arkham Knight which is much more open game than the first 3 don't have these issues at all and it even has the best Arkham combat in the whole series. There's no meaning or puprose in the fights in Spider-Man games outside of the curated story stuff. They're just there so that you had something to do in open world and nothing else and to say that there's a SHIT TON of them is to say nothing.
Pacing, story, traversal, characters are all objectively better in SM2.
Says a man who haven't even played the game which is not even out yet. And there is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to opinions or reviews.
The only thing Arkham did have (in Asylum) was metroidvania level design, if that's your thing.
It was like that in the first game only, City was more like a Zelda-like game with overworld and story dungeons.

Last edited:
That's not the case with me. I like Spider-Man, the 90s cartoon series is one of my favorites of all time along with Batman, Batman Beyond and so on. I'll even go as far as to say that Insomniac's Spider-Man games when it comes to story are much, much closer to the 90s catoon series and I like it A LOT!

Completely disagree. I've played and finished all Arkham games multiple times and Spider Man's combat got boring very fast, it's just way too much of it, there's way too much enemies, the fights are way too long, boring and tedious, it never changes, even at the end. The most fun I had when it comes to combat were during multiple boss fights in the story. Arkham games are much more story focused, each fight was staged to fit the story, to not bore you to death or to prolong the game time, each fight had a purpose and meaning behind it, sealth is much better, gadgets are much better and overal flow of the fights as well.

At no point in any Arkham game I got bored to death, but at some point in Spider-Man (around 50% mark) I lowered the dificulty to the lowest setting just to get through all this boring and extremely long hord fights faster and see the story. Even Arkham Knight which is much more open game than the first 3 don't have these issues at all and it even has the best Arkham combat in the whole series. There's no meaning or puprose in the fights in Spider-Man games outside of the curated story stuff. They're just there so that you had something to do in open world and nothing else and to say that there's a SHIT TON of them is to say nothing.

Says a man who haven't even played the game which is not even out yet. And there is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to opinions or reviews.

It was like that in the first game only, City was more like a Zelda-like game with overworld and story dungeons.

Just have to disagree with all of that. City was nowhere near a zelda game, lol. Level design regressed.

And the combat in Arkham was friggin boring as hell.

Topher

Gold Member

The gameplay of SM is objectively far better than the Arkham gameplay in terms of combat. Pacing, story, traversal, characters are all objectively better in SM2. The only thing Arkham did have (in Asylum) was metroidvania level design, if that's your thing.

Personally, I like the combat of Spider-man as it adds a vertical element, but the story and characters of Batman is far better, imo. Either way, it is obvious Spider-man was clearly inspired by Batman. Nothing wrong with that. I think Batman created a template that I wish more games would utilize. I do think Spider-man iterated from Batman and added its own take such as verticality.

That's just a matter of opinion though. Nothing really "objective" about it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Arkham games have way better level design. They are a metroidvania which is automatically better than this simple cookie cutter 'story' levels Spiderman has for its story missions. You could argue that spiderman does better boss fights and setpieces, but the core game design in arkham games is leagues ahead of spiderman. it's like saying call of duty is better than pre-botw zelda. nah, those dungeons are real levels with unique mechanics, puzzles, and depth that spiderman and other linear non-metroidvanias simply lack.

hell, the riddler trophies alone are a better designed collectible than the trash spiderman has you collect. Spiderman is not a bad game, but when compared to any of the arkham game, including the worst of three Arkham Knight, it simply fails in almost every department that has to do with game design.

I guess story and characters are roughly on par. I really liked the story in spiderman 1, but arkham city had some great story moments and much more memorable villain.
Just have to disagree with all of that. City was nowhere near a zelda game, lol. Level design regressed.

And the combat in Arkham was friggin boring as hell.

every story mission in city takes place indoors in a zelda like dungeon. i think there were around 4-5.

What's going to win goty?

I don't think it will be Spider-man 2 by the press, simply because we have TOTK and BG3 which received very high reviews so that's a big hurdle to overcome. I also think BG3 may take it for being rewarded as a reclamation project that takes the industry by surprise. It certainly isn't my kind of game though. SM2 is much more likely to be my GOTY

either way, SM2 will be nominated
Of course it will be nominated, but the OP simply said that it wont be GOTY. I cant believe this is considered a controversial opinion let alone trolling. it's not like he said zelda totk wont be goty. everyone knows it will be nominated and lose to the big boys. starfield has screwed up its chances of winning but the goty is still totk or baldurs gate 3. spiderman 2 simply isnt doing enough to come close to those much more ambitious games. its more of the same which is fine, but not goty material for the vast majority of publications.

Last edited:
every story mission in city takes place indoors in a zelda like dungeon. i think there were around 4-5.

And they were all boring, I wouldn't consider them zelda like dungeons at all. just new areas to do missions. It's not arguable at all that SM has better set pieces and story. The production values in SM put Arkham games to shame, period.

Of course it will be nominated, but the OP simply said that it wont be GOTY. I cant believe this is considered a controversial opinion let alone trolling.

The controversial take is when he said you had to be a massive fanboy to consider SM2 your own game of the year

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's because your arguments were indeed disingenuous and trolling attempts. Now you're posting this as if that was "actual legitimate critical discourse" pretending otherwise.

For everybody who doesn't know what happened, here is how it went down:
  • You said SM2 will not be a GOTY contender.
  • I told you that even SM1 was a GOTY contender, so why wouldn't SM2 be a GOTY contender?
  • You quickly changed the conversation to "did SM1 win any GOTY awards?"
  • I shared that it won 23 GOTY awards (not including user choice awards)
  • You then shifted the conversation if those awards were from major publications?
  • I shared the list that included Wired, Verge, Japanese developers in Famitsu, etc. And the game was nominated by GDC, DICE, Golden Joystick, NY Game Awards, TGA, etc.
  • You said those are not major publications (lol) and SM2 will not win GOTY awards.
  • I reminded you your original argument was that "Spider-Man 2 will not be a GOTY contender." I asked why wouldn't it be a GOTY contender if SM1 was also a GOTY contender and winner of 23 GOTY awards, if SM2 improves upon everything?
Then you never responded again. Of course, it was trolling and a baseless argument by you where you kept making things as you went and shifting goalposts, instead of stopping and acknowledging that you were wrong.

Here are the receipts (not in the perfect order)
Dude, reading through your discussion with him, he comes across as very levelheaded. You did as well. He conceded the point that spidey did win some awards but stuck to his guns that majority of publishers didnt. Which is true because we both know gow and rdr2 took literally 95% of the awards that year and those 24 goty awards were way behind gow and rdr2 both of which won hundreds of awards.

• God of War- 263
    • Media Outlets: 176 | Readers' Choice: 87
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - 178 (including 3 awards from 2019)
    • Media Outlets: 129 | Readers' Choice: 49
  • Marvel's Spider-Man- 24
    • Media Outlets: 23 | Readers' Choice: 1
I mean it won 1 readers choice award. 1. probably form spiderman.org

He asked you for source. he accepted your source. he didnt mock you when you made a mistake and claimed famitsu gave it their goty. This seems like a pretty normal discussion. Healthy even.

We can discuss whether or not receiving 5% of the awards in a legendary year is a big deal, but honestly, it's semantics to discuss what is and what isnt a goty contender. Feel free to make a thread here with a poll asking if spiderman will win goty over Zelda ToTK, Baldurs Gate 3, Resident Evil 4, Star Wars, Armored Core, Starfield, Final Fantasy 16, Super Mario Wonder, Hogwarts and you will get your answer.

I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt get nominated at the VGAs when there are so many other games to nominate. I think armored core, resident evil 4, diablo and street fighter 6 will all get overlooked at the VGAs just because there are so many other games ahead of them. I am not going to get butthurt if someone comes to me and says diablo is a goty contender and i hope fans of those four games dont either just because i dared to sugges they will be overlooked. These games are all 89-91 metacritic. higher than where spiderman 2 is likely to end up at. it's really not an insane statement to suggest that spiderman wont be goty.

their last game, ratchet, ended up with number 9 on the goty charts in arguably the weakest years in recent memory. behind games like deathloop, halo, and returnal. insomniac will need to completely redefine spiderman to get a spot in the top 5 at vga, let alone top 10 at the goty award tracker this year. When i was telling you guys that starfield would be a goty contender, i was mocked even though FOUR of bethesda's past five games had topped the goty charts with the fifth, fallout 4, coming in second to witcher 3 topping bloodborne and mgsv. and yet, you are failing to look at insomniac's history with game awards. they dont win many. if any.

• It Takes Two- 86
    • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village- 60
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5- 54
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
    • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
    • Media Outlets: 18 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 19
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - 14
    • Media Outlets: 12 | Readers' Choice: 2

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

It would be sick if spiderman 2 is tears of the kingdom and baldurs gate 3 good. But I won't get my hopes up quite that high. Still day 1 though.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Dude, reading through your discussion with him, he comes across as very levelheaded. You did as well. He conceded the point that spidey did win some awards but stuck to his guns that majority of publishers didnt. Which is true because we both know gow and rdr2 took literally 95% of the awards that year and those 24 goty awards were way behind gow and rdr2 both of which won hundreds of awards.

• God of War- 263
    • Media Outlets: 176 | Readers' Choice: 87
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - 178 (including 3 awards from 2019)
    • Media Outlets: 129 | Readers' Choice: 49
  • Marvel's Spider-Man- 24
    • Media Outlets: 23 | Readers' Choice: 1
I mean it won 1 readers choice award. 1. probably form spiderman.org

He asked you for source. he accepted your source. he didnt mock you when you made a mistake and claimed famitsu gave it their goty. This seems like a pretty normal discussion. Healthy even.

We can discuss whether or not receiving 5% of the awards in a legendary year is a big deal, but honestly, it's semantics to discuss what is and what isnt a goty contender. Feel free to make a thread here with a poll asking if spiderman will win goty over Zelda ToTK, Baldurs Gate 3, Resident Evil 4, Star Wars, Armored Core, Starfield, Final Fantasy 16, Super Mario Wonder, Hogwarts and you will get your answer.

I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt get nominated at the VGAs when there are so many other games to nominate. I think armored core, resident evil 4, diablo and street fighter 6 will all get overlooked at the VGAs just because there are so many other games ahead of them. I am not going to get butthurt if someone comes to me and says diablo is a goty contender and i hope fans of those four games dont either just because i dared to sugges they will be overlooked. These games are all 89-91 metacritic. higher than where spiderman 2 is likely to end up at. it's really not an insane statement to suggest that spiderman wont be goty.

their last game, ratchet, ended up with number 9 on the goty charts in arguably the weakest years in recent memory. behind games like deathloop, halo, and returnal. insomniac will need to completely redefine spiderman to get a spot in the top 5 at vga, let alone top 10 at the goty award tracker this year. When i was telling you guys that starfield would be a goty contender, i was mocked even though FOUR of bethesda's past five games had topped the goty charts with the fifth, fallout 4, coming in second to witcher 3 topping bloodborne and mgsv. and yet, you are failing to look at insomniac's history with game awards. they dont win many. if any.

• It Takes Two- 86
    • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village- 60
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5- 54
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
    • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 19
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - 14
    • Media Outlets: 12 | Readers' Choice: 2
The issue was (1) a totally needless argument about a game not even being a contender for GOTY before it's even released. It's the preview thread and the majority of the discussion was shifted to whether the game will or will be a GOTY contender. And (2) moving the goalposts midway from "won't be a GOTY contender" to "won't win GOTY" to "the publications that gave SM1 GOTY awards and nominations aren't major gaming award outlets."

That becomes a disingenuous discourse that never comes to a resolution. It just keeps spiraling down and down because goalposts are constantly shifted. Of course, mods had to thread-banned him.

XXL

I mean you’re most probably right Spider 2 won’t be winning GOTY.

It would be a surprise.
Baldur's Gate 3 has GOTY wrapped up imo. Nothing even has a chance.

That said, I'm extremely excited for Spider-Man 2 and I expect it to be absolutely spectacular.

X-Wing

If only people would realize that their opinions on this website don't really matter and drop stupid arguments when it clearly becomes pointless to have them, then maybe we would have less of these.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
NZooTlM.gif

Just to clarify some cases are done "pro bono" with some kind of marketing agreement.. so any picture I choose to post online has already been authorized previously for any use I choose.

Didn't mean to derail the thread ... sorry mods
No one would have thought you'd share this to get a gold membership on a gaming forum lol.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No one would have thought you'd share this to get a gold membership on a gaming forum lol.
We play the cards we have brother! But I did most to see the reaction of my fellow gaffers .. is not something I can or want to do on a regular basis ... I can have fun once in a while but I take my profession very seriously.

But been honest if I told this particular patient about this she would LoL and ask why I didnt post the "uncensored" version

We play the cards we have brother! But I did most to see the reaction of my fellow gaffers .. is not something I can or want to do on a regular basis ... I can have fun once in a while but I take my profession very seriously.

But been honest if I told this particular patient about this she would LoL and ask why I didnt post the "uncensored" version
You must make good money. Plastic surgery is expensive as fuck. Did she pay for it or one of her onlyfans simps?

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You must make good money
Not going to lie the money is very good.. but is on par with my work stress responsibilities

And thats why Im on this game forum having some fun 😁

This particular case was "pro bono" for a marketing campaign and therefore I could keep the images rights

Last edited:
Not going to lie the money is very good.. but is on par with my work stress responsibilities

And thats why Im on this game forum having some fun 😁

This particular case was "pro bono" for a marketing campaign and therefore I could keep the images rights
Well clearly you are better off than most of us peasants here. I'll DM you my PayPal info, if you can throw me a few grand id really appericiate it. Its for my Lamborghini Crowd Fund campaign. Trust me, very good cause. Your donation won't be wasted 😜

Topher

Gold Member
The issue was (1) a totally needless argument about a game not even being a contender for GOTY before it's even released. It's the preview thread and the majority of the discussion was shifted to whether the game will or will be a GOTY contender. And (2) moving the goalposts midway from "won't be a GOTY contender" to "won't win GOTY" to "the publications that gave SM1 GOTY awards and nominations aren't major gaming award outlets."

That becomes a disingenuous discourse that never comes to a resolution. It just keeps spiraling down and down because goalposts are constantly shifted. Of course, mods had to thread-banned him.

And that doesn't even account for the hypocrisy of referencing "fanboys" who said Starfield would win GOTY as an example when he was one of them.

Top Bottom