• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney and James Cameron's Avatar Land to open May 27th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
As a skint Englishman, much like with every American theme park, I look forward to inevitably being told by countless people how great this place is without ever getting to go there myself.

Laieon

As a skint Englishman, much like every American theme park, I look forward to inevitably being told by countless people how great this place is without ever getting to go there myself.

As an American, if it makes you feel any better I've never been to Disneyworld/land or Universal Studios.

At least Texas has Schlitterbahn.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oddly enough I never cared about the movie what so ever. Yet I'm sorta interested in the park addition.

I think that's partly because I know Disney won't want to fuck this up and so they will pump the cash needed for this. Plus I think the Parks in general (at least World) could use some new life and areas too them.

I also think that modern Disney is willing to go all out. So it won't end up like the half small half assed (even if partly cool) Star Wars area which is just that one ride.

I also think that modern Disney is willing to go all out. So it won't end up like the half small half assed (even if partly cool) Star Wars area which is just that one ride.

Star-Wars-Park-Disneyland-01-CONCEPT0516.jpg

star-wars-land-night.jpg

SOON.

zeemumu

Are you talking about the one that they're building or Tomorrowland? Because Tomorrowland is decked out in Star Wars stuff for the time being and isn't actually permanently Star Wars themed (even if Star Tours is always there) and I think there's supposed to be more than one thing in the Star Wars land.

I wonder what they'll turn it into in 5-10 years after no one cares anymore. I mean, no one cares now, but I suppose Avatar 2 will make this interesting in 2 years if it's not a bomba.

DAK is the best WDW park so I can't wait to check this out.

Forget going to Orlando in the summer though. I'll probably try and fly down in the Autumn.

Vanillalite

Are you talking about the one that they're building or Tomorrowland? Because Tomorrowland is decked out in Star Wars stuff for the time being and isn't actually permanently Star Wars themed (even if Star Tours is always there) and I think there's supposed to be more than one thing in the Star Wars land.

Just Star Tours as someone who's been on that ride since the year it opened. That was old Disney though.

New Disney has their shit in high gear with regards to the Parks and their properties which is why I'm sorta excited for Avatar Land despite not giving a fuck about the movie.

mclem

I would imagine the 'small star wars area for one ride' is in reference to the Disney Studios park in WDW, in which Star Tours has a heavily SW-themed frontage, queueing area (through the forests of Endor, with a giant AT-AT) and shop, along with an associated stage for meet'n'greets.

Vanillalite

I would imagine the 'small star wars area for one ride' is in reference to the Disney Studios park in WDW, in which Star Tours has a heavily SW-themed frontage, queueing area (through the forests of Endor, with a giant AT-AT) and shop, along with an associated stage for meet'n'greets.

This exactly.

zeemumu

Just Star Tours as someone who's been on that ride since the year it opened. That was old Disney though.

New Disney has their shit in high gear with regards to the Parks and their properties which is why I'm sorta excited for Avatar Land despite not giving a fuck about the movie.

Ah, okay. Because right now, Disneyland's Tomorrowland is functioning as a sort of pseudo Star Wars Land. Innoventions is the Star Wars Launch Bay, Space Mountain is Hyperspace Mountain, pretty sure that little theater that used to be Captain EO is showing something called Path of the Jedi, they still have the Jedi Training Academy there with some alterations to incorporate Rebels and Force Awakens, Star Tours added Jakku into their world rotation, etc.

The real one was confirmed for 2019

I wonder what they'll turn it into in 5-10 years after no one cares anymore. I mean, no one cares now, but I suppose Avatar 2 will make this interesting in 2 years if it's not a bomba.

There's gonna be at least three more Avatar movies. He's gonna make it an anthology IIRC

I'm not the biggest fan of the movie by any stretch, but i would be interested to check the theme park out, just to see what modern disney is capable of and how far animitronic capabilities have come over the years.

My wife wants us to go to DW in the fall, so I'm looking forward to this. Has to be more interesting than Mickey Mouses and all of the princess crap. Trying to plan a trip is a nightmare though. Most of the in park resorts look like crap, or are super expensive. They all seem to have more cons than pros as well.

Elandyll

Banned
In 5-10 years is when people will care again.

The problem is between right now and the first sequel which will likely miss its fall 2018 window (after being pushed from 2016 to 2017 to 2018.)

We're going to eat Avatar for 5 to 10 years with 4 sequels (depending on a yearly to bi-yearly release schedule) likely starting in 2019. Maybe.

I know Avatar made a shit-ton of cash, but I don't know anyone who's holding a torch for this series. I'll be really curious to see how folks respond to this and the new movies. It'll probably be like the first movie where everyone sees it in spite of overwhelming indifference.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've been to Disney World twice, last in 2011. In a few years, after my 2 year old has a few more Disney movies under his belt, we'll make the trek again.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Who asked for this?

That's what is so strange about this and announcement of five or whatever freaking sequels to the move. Really, everything about Avatar is strange to me.

It was a solid action movie that somehow became the biggest movie of all time. Yet it has basically zero lasting impact. I compare it to other movies near the top like Titanic or The Avengers in terms memorable/iconic scenes, quotes and characters and there's just nothing there.

I liked the movie and I feel like some really cool stuff could be done in a sequel. But I am still perplexed by Avatar as a whole on a regular basis

One of the things I'm most curious about is the box office performance of Avatar 2. Really interested to see what happens there.

Loxley

As a skint Englishman, much like with every American theme park, I look forward to inevitably being told by countless people how great this place is without ever getting to go there myself.

If it makes you feel any better, the majority of Americans have probably never been to Disneyworld either - shit's expensive.

Snaku

Banned
My wife wants us to go to DW in the fall, so I'm looking forward to this. Has to be more interesting than Mickey Mouses and all of the princess crap. Trying to plan a trip is a nightmare though. Most of the in park resorts look like crap, or are super expensive. They all seem to have more cons than pros as well.

Coronado Springs is one step up from their budget hotels, still fairly inexpensive, and is really nice. Also has the best pool.

Look into staying at a non-Disney hotel but still within Disney World. I've stayed at both the Hilton Buena Vista Palace and the Wyndham Grand Orlando and enjoyed my time at both. Considerably cheaper and they're not as "flat" as the WDW resorts.

I like a view with my hotel room. :)

Slacker

Coronado Springs is one step up from their budget hotels, still fairly inexpensive, and is really nice. Also has the best pool.

My fam stayed at Coronado Springs when we went there a couple years ago. It was nice, though we were barely at the hotel enough for it to matter (also it was November so we didn't really hit the pool either).

I did like that it seemed to be one of the less busy lines to ride the bus to and from the parks (still busy sometimes, but not as bad as some of the other resorts).

I was considering that, but I looks to be closed or have limited availability due to construction.

Look into staying at a non-Disney hotel but still within Disney World. I've stayed at both the Hilton Buena Vista Palace and the Wyndham Grand Orlando and enjoyed my time at both. Considerably cheaper and they're not as "flat" as the WDW resorts.

I like a view with my hotel room. :)

Would LOVE to do that, but I guess staying at the D resorts give you early access to the park and the wife wants all of the Disney Experience....Blah.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Just find a hotel outside DW. We stayed in a cheap hotel on International Drive, rented a car and we were still cheaper off than staying on the resort. Also; buy your multi-day multipark tickets in advance.

It's been a while since my last visit, can't wait till my daughter's a little older and we can go again.

I was considering that, but I looks to be closed or have limited availability due to construction.

Would LOVE to do that, but I guess staying at the D resorts give you early access to the park and the wife wants all of the Disney Experience....Blah.

Early access is worthless in fall. You get in the park early to be in front of the queues, which don't exist. I went twice in the fall, longest I had to wait in line was 10 minutes, and that was at Space Mountain.

Rootbeer

Banned
If they had timed it to open around the first of the sequels (since looks like we are getting 3 or 4 more Avatars at least?) it would keep the hype train steady for a number of years.

As it is though I really don't think anyone cares.

It's weird to think that this film came out in 2009 and only now is getting a theme park... long after people stopped caring about it as a, uhh, franchise? Maybe that interest will rekindle, but I have doubts.

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds like there are actually only two rides? A family friendly water ride and some sort of flight simulation.

I wish they would make one of these themeparks with amazing rides.

Oh yeah, these don't come with those "magical" perks. The things we do for those we love...

Sounds like there are actually only two rides? A family friendly water ride and some sort of flight simulation.

*scratches chin*

muteki

It is a new Disney boat ride, and Disney boat rides are awesome. Legitimately looking forward to that and I don't really care about avatar.

Also if you will have/can get a car for your trip, you can have a whole (nice) condo to yourself for less than half the price of a Disney resort 5 minutes away. The perks of staying on property have eventually stopped being worth it for me, as rates continue to rise for no reason.

Snaku

Banned

Apparently the flight sim ride is next level shit. I'll post my thoughts in June.

daffy

Banned
The resorts are hella overpriced.. if you're gonna do it just do the All Star resorts. They're cheap af. Or maybe Art of Animation or Pop Century. Low mid tier.

Early access isn't worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom