• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney and James Cameron's Avatar Land to open May 27th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I'll ever go to this shit, but a video tour would suffice I guess until then. :p

You seem to care enough to post in this thread.

posting in a thread doesn't take that much caring though. it's really not a lot of effort to be honest.

Im sure its going to be beautiful, and we know how amazing are the animatronics on it, but still, as a theme park fan, im not particularly interested in going to a theme park becuase of a land about the movie Avatar. I will always think it was a mistake by disney's part.

Now, when Universal opens Super Nintendo World, I cant wait to get some plane tickets for it.

Also Disney needs to go faster, becuase holy shit, all this new developmets are taking too much time fro planning to building.

That's what is so strange about this and announcement of five or whatever freaking sequels to the move. Really, everything about Avatar is strange to me.

It was a solid action movie that somehow became the biggest movie of all time. Yet it has basically zero lasting impact. I compare it to other movies near the top like Titanic or The Avengers in terms memorable/iconic scenes, quotes and characters and there's just nothing there.

I liked the movie and I feel like some really cool stuff could be done in a sequel. But I am still perplexed by Avatar as a whole on a regular basis

One of the things I'm most curious about is the box office performance of Avatar 2. Really interested to see what happens there.
Right? It's like, in what alternate reality did Avatar actually expand to the ubiquitousness that James Cameron think it did? It performed well. Sold some 3D TVs. And that's it. If all these sequels that haven't even been started on and only been prematurely announced actually existed, then this move would make more sense.

Crazylegs

My wife and I are at Disneyworld in a couple of weeks- staying at Old Key West. It's too much to hope, but wondering if there could be a soft-opening for resort guests. It seems a wee bit early for that, but we lucked out that way with Animal Kingdom back in the day..

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is Sam Worthington going to be working the front gate as a greeter?

"Welcome to Avatarland! I'm Sam Worthington and this is all I have left!"

ahoyle77

I'm excited to see what they have done, but my expectations aren't that great. I'm expecting a modern Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and an Avatar version of Soarin. Hope I'm wrong and there is more to it. Unfortunately nothing in recent Disney history, at least in Orlando, has been impressive at all.

Gotta love the "I hate Avatar personally so I'm sure nobody wanted this" while you won't be able to do fuck all for at least 2 years because of the crowds.

Shmuppers

LOL

We'll see how it plays out but I'm in the "I didn't like the movie so I don't see how this will work" crowd

muteki

Gotta love the "I hate Avatar personally so I'm sure nobody wanted this" while you won't be able to do fuck all for at least 2 years because of the crowds.

The crowds won't be there because they all like Avatar they will be there because there is fuck all to do in Animal Kingdom and it is new.

jax

Banned
Avatar? That mediocre movie with blue people that came out like 10 years ago?

And I have to go to Florida?

Hard pass.

Linkura

When we went to WDW in September, we joked that the POTC Jack Sparrow looked so good that it had to be Johnny Depp in between jobs to pay for his divorce settlement.

The crowds won't be there because they all like Avatar they will be there because there is fuck all to do in Animal Kingdom and it is new.

No shit, but the whole "who asked for this" has always been dumb, people don't "ask" for things but are happy about it anyway.

Both of which feel forced and unasked for..

Interesting, based on how much money Fantastic Beasts made, how much its sequels and the Avatar sequels will make. This whole "nobody asked for this" thing is ridiculous, it's like you went around asking millions of people what they think about it and have some kind of consensus numbers :p

jax

Banned
Coming from someone with a Gohan Avatar.

Goku*

IYZgR0o.gif

And Super is doing phenomenally, a franchise people have wanted to continue for years. The last few HP films were just okay, now they didnt even wait 10 years and there's like a movie about their kids or something? They're milking it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Here's hoping Disney has gotten its ass handed to it by Universal enough to actually start putting effort into these themed locations. The Wizarding World makes Disney World feel like a joke.

TheZink

I have a friend that is kinda a Disney Insider. Knows a lot of people that work at Disney and on this kind of stuff. He said even if you don't like Avatar at all this place is gonna be incredible.

I have a friend that is kinda a Disney Insider. Knows a lot of people that work at Disney and on this kind of stuff. He said even if you don't like Avatar at all this place is gonna be incredible.

Yeah, Cameron was very close to its production and was frequently on-site. There's a brief stretch of interstate nearby where you can see one of the floating mountains I think it was. Looked very large in scale.

HStallion

Goku*

IYZgR0o.gif

And Super is doing phenomenally, a franchise people have wanted to continue for years. The last few HP films were just okay, now they didnt even wait 10 years and there's like a movie about their kids or something? They're milking it.

Not to argue but that looks a lot more like Gohan than Goku, especially in the hair department.

That and Super is pretty damn derivative and plain ugly at times.

jax

Banned
You guys are really trying to say Avatar is as popular as Dragonball? Come on. I can understand HP a little bit I guess (the Twilight/Hunger Games crowd) but Avatar in 2017 is just silly.

TheZink

Yeah, Cameron was very close to its production and was frequently on-site. There's a brief stretch of interstate nearby where you can see one of the floating mountains I think it was. Looked very large in scale.

the thing that stinks is my Annual Pass expires on May 5th :(

No shit, but the whole "who asked for this" has always been dumb, people don't "ask" for things but are happy about it anyway.

Eh but it's still shows that there is alot of confusion on this whole part extension. When Wizarding World was nothing but hype, you really see nothing but negative reaction to this. You can't deny that there is alot of negativity towards this, and if it doesn't impress when it opens, it's gonna be a downer. Avatar is also weird choice since it's not a children friendly property, it's never done well with merchandising even.

It's gonna be popular attraction no matter what, heck look at the piece of shit Frozen ride at Epcot which still has 2+hr waits on weekends, despite negative word of mouth, huge waits, and just being a subpar experience. I don't see it having lasting appeal for years though or same longevity as Universal's Harry Potter stuff

Would LOVE to do that, but I guess staying at the D resorts give you early access to the park and the wife wants all of the Disney Experience....Blah.

Typically most trip planning sites will advise to not go to the parks with early or late park access for that given day since it tends to attract a larger crowd to those parks.

muteki

For me it is less of a "who asked for this?" thing, and more a "you needed to add capacity to your half-day park, and this is the best you could do?"

But this was announced ~6 odd years ago, Avatar probably seemed a more solid bet back then.

When Wizarding World was nothing but hype, you really see nothing but negative reaction to this. You can't deny that there is alot of negativity towards this, and if it doesn't impress when it opens, it's gonna be a downer. Avatar is also weird choice since it's not a children friendly property, it's never done well with merchandising even.

I haven't seen any negativity surrounding the development of this theme park except for people on the internet that don't personally like Avatar but then again, I didn't go around seeking the consensus from the millions of people that will probably be excited to check it out.

And really I don't think Avatar is any less kid friendly than Harry Potter, Potter started out pretty light but got a lot heavier as it went, the majority of the films were PG-13 like Avatar. It wouldn't matter anyway as long as the park gives children the spectacle it likely will.

For me it is less of a "who asked for this?" thing, and more a "you needed to add capacity to your half-day park, and this is the best you could do?"

But this was announced ~6 odd years ago, Avatar probably seemed a more solid bet back then.

You're not considering the long-term here. Avatar is getting four more films. If they weren't doing more films I doubt there'd be a park opening.

As a skint Englishman, much like with every American theme park, I look forward to inevitably being told by countless people how great this place is without ever getting to go there myself.

You and I should be friends. We can moan about queues and the weather, and maybe do a day trip to Skegness on a tight budget.

Not to argue but that looks a lot more like Gohan than Goku, especially in the hair department.

That and Super is pretty damn derivative and plain ugly at times.

It's sad that people will continually use one, admittedly shockingly animated, episode as a stick to beat super with and dismiss it completely.

The last few super episodes have been great and bring back the feeling of the OG DB series. The new arc has a lot of people excited.

With regards to Harry Potter - Fantastic beasts was fantastic, the cursed child awful. I hope they move away from the potter family with future ventures and make use of the fantastic world they have to play with. I feel the same way with Star Wars, move away from the skywalkers and take advantage of the fantastic GALAXY you have to play with.

With regards to Avatar.It feels like they're trying really hard to make it a thing. The first movie was a phenomenon at the time, that can't be questioned. However I don't doubt the 3D gimmick, although very impressive in avatar, played a large part in it. I don't see the future films having such a gimmick. I believe they'll be good films but won't explode the same way the original did. I feel franchise fatigue just looking at the schedule of releases.

HStallion

It's sad that people will continually use one, admittedly shockingly animated, episode as a stick to beat super with and dismiss it completely.

The last few super episodes have been great and bring back the feeling of the OG DB series. The new arc has a lot of people excited.

With regards to Harry Potter - Fantastic beasts was fantastic, the cursed child awful. I hope they move away from the potter family with future ventures and make use of the fantastic world they have to play with. I feel the same way with Star Wars, move away from the skywalkers and take advantage of the fantastic GALAXY you have to play with.

With regards to Avatar.It feels like they're trying really hard to make it a thing. The first movie was a phenomenon at the time, that can't be questioned. However I don't doubt the 3D gimmick, although very impressive in avatar, played a large part in it. I don't see the future films having such a gimmick. I believe they'll be good films but won't explode the same way the original did. I feel franchise fatigue just looking at the schedule of releases.

One episode of DB Super was poorly animated? Huge swaths of it are poorly animated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom