• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three of the Four Highest-Grossing Films are Directed by James Cameron (Avatar: The Way of Water Still Climbing)

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Currently, Avatar: The Way of Water is the fourth highest-grossing film of all time, and appears to be on its way to #3, surpassing James Cameron's Titanic, which was the highest-grossing film until James Cameron's Avatar in 2009 (Avengers: Endgame held the spot for a short period, before an Avatar re-issue knocked its punk ass down a peg).
How does this warlock keep winning?
Green indicates that the film is currently in theaters.
8QW1csG.png

Some of you may be curious how this list scales when adjusted for inflation. Adjusted, James Cameron occupies two of the top three slots. Avatar: The Way of Water seems to stand a chance at entering the top ten.
IXXLjYm.png

Do you like blue? I like the blue people. I hope Sora gets to turn blue in the next Kingdom Hearts. Da ba dee da ba die.

The adjusted for inflation charts never made much sense to me since movies were available at cinemas for years since that's where people watched them.

That said...this is probably surpassing Titanic this monty which to me is crazy. In a world where covid didn't hit China in December and everyone was at home, and Russia wasn't the lil bitch they are this could easily surpass 2.5b.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The adjusted for inflation charts never made much sense to me since movies were available at cinemas for years since that's where people watched them.

That said...this is probably surpassing Titanic this monty which to me is crazy. In a world where covid didn't hit China in December and everyone was at home, and Russia wasn't the lil bitch they are this could easily surpass 2.5b.
The best measure is really ticket sales. Not revenue. But revenue is another way.

Gone with the Wind wiki says it did more than $390M. On a budget of $4M. The movie came out in 1939. A movie ticket back then was probably $1. I dont get how some of those old movies got so much sales. Even if it was a global hit, it's like the average movie goer might had watched it twice at theatres.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
They need to make a hulk world movie where everybody are hulks and she-hulks I’d probably watch it ten times in theaters alas it’s only a dream for now

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyon
Unfortunately only one of those is a good movie. Titanic.

When that's the pick of the bunch it says a lot about the distant relationship between inspiration and popularity.

Last edited:

Toons

It's more about being on the offensive against an annoyingly pervasive but consistently mediocre franchise. I'm more than comfortable with others' feelings on my blue cat fetish.

I mean, theres multiple marvel movies I'd watch over way of water, even if way of water is a solid watch. Most of them even.

I dont see why you feel the need to bit one multi billion dollar franchise owned by Disney against another. Dread indispensable, run from it... Disney wins all the same

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Currently, Avatar: The Way of Water is the fourth highest-grossing film of all time, and appears to be on its way to #3, surpassing James Cameron's Titanic, which was the highest-grossing film until James Cameron's Avatar in 2009 (Avengers: Endgame held the spot for a short period, before an Avatar re-issue knocked its punk ass down a peg).
How does this warlock keep winning?
Green indicates that the film is currently in theaters.
8QW1csG.png

Some of you may be curious how this list scales when adjusted for inflation. Adjusted, James Cameron occupies two of the top three slots. Avatar: The Way of Water seems to stand a chance at entering the top ten.
IXXLjYm.png

Do you like blue? I like the blue people. I hope Sora gets to turn blue in the next Kingdom Hearts. Da ba dee da ba die.
But but nobody likes blue cat people playing Pocahontas.....

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
What I think is strange is how the success of Avatar is not reflected in our culture. I mean, Titanic (and even Gone with the Wind) are constantly quoted even today, everybody knows the story, music from those movies, they are constantly referenced in other art.

Avatar tho? It hasn't spawned anything. No merchandise, no games, I don't remember any lines or soundtrack. Maybe this is a total misconception, but for a movie so successful, I find the lack of cultural relevance a bit weird?

SJRB

Gold Member
What I think is strange is how the success of Avatar is not reflected in our culture. I mean, Titanic (and even Gone with the Wind) are constantly quoted even today, everybody knows the story, music from those movies, they are constantly referenced in other art.

Avatar tho? It hasn't spawned anything. No merchandise, no games, I don't remember any lines or soundtrack. Maybe this is a total misconception, but for a movie so successful, I find the lack of cultural relevance a bit weird?

Avatar movies are just fancy themepark rides. You're in for the show and the spectacle and nothing else. And just like a rollercoaster ride afterwards you say "that was neat" and go on with your day.

Lasha

Tickets were only like a quarter when gone with the wind was in cinemas. Around 40 people would need to see gone with the wind to match the revenue of one person seeing Avatar 2. Inflation adjusted helps keep the list meaningful since currency just keeps inflating.

TonyK

I still don't understand how a film where I and many others can't even remember the name of any of its characters is so successful.
Because the title is amazingly easy to remember and you only need to see one character to identify the movie. In fact, even if anyone don't remember the name of any of the characters, Avatar's blue aliens are the most iconic filmic thing in ages, visually speaking.

Chiggs

I still don't understand how a film where I and many others can't even remember the name of any of its characters is so successful

I can help you understand:

1. You're in cognitive decline.
2. James Cameron is better than you.
3. James Cameron is richer than you.

The only Avatar movie I would enjoy is if they nuke the entire planet wiping out the anorexic, tape worm having, no shoe wearing, Vulcan ass ear having Smurfs. That would be a 10 out of 10.

Now this is how you do it!

Doom85

Avatar movies are just fancy themepark rides. You're in for the show and the spectacle and nothing else. And just like a rollercoaster ride afterwards you say "that was neat" and go on with your day.

Kind of explains this box office:

Didn‘t realize the obsessed James Cameron fans were also big Michael Bay Transformers fans. Huh, you learn something new every day.

Tams

James Cameron makes perfect mind candy cinema.

If you don't think about it, it's great. But if you do... it's all so very mediocre and forgettable.

ReBurn

Gold Member

If you don't think about it, it's great. But if you do... it's all so very mediocre and forgettable.
This is what most people want from cinema. That's why these movies make so much money. If people wanted the kind of movies the ascot-wearing fart sniffers complaining about blue people prefer those would be the highest grossing films.

LordOfChaos

Seems to be the smash hit no one is talking about. It was a visual spectacle of course, but the story was entirely basic but simultaneously pulled in too many directions, even recycled the same bad guy from the first one.

Chiggs

Seems to be the smash hit no one is talking about. It was a visual spectacle of course, but the story was entirely basic but simultaneously pulled in too many directions, even recycled the same bad guy from the first one.

And yet…here we are. Talking about it.

DKehoe

Do you really think James Cameron's films are forgettable?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I actually enjoyed it even more on the 2nd viewing. I love the series. If it hangs on I may even go again lol. I have a $25 giftcard and there's nothing I give a shit about seeing until Avatar 3.

mortal

Gold Member

lol what?

Terminator, Terminator 2, and Titanic are some of the most iconic, memorable, quotable films of all time.

Tams

lol what?

Terminator, Terminator 2, and Titanic are some of the most iconic, memorable, quotable films of all time.

Shoot me down, but Terminator and Terminator 2 are grossly overrated. They are good films but they are hardly nuanced.

Titanic is his best film by far, but even that is a bit silly in places.

And no, I don't like arthouse films.

mortal

Gold Member
Shoot me down, but Terminator and Terminator 2 are grossly overrated. They are good films but they are hardly nuanced.

Titanic is his best film by far, but even that is a bit silly in places.

And no, I don't like arthouse films.
Overrated maybe and you're entitled to that opinion, but to call his films forgettable is a bit of a stretch.

Top Bottom