• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney CEO Iger: Marvel, Star Wars Movies Will Move to New Streaming Service in 2019

If all of these companies make their own applications for streaming content, it'll all cost more than a cable bill at the end of the day.

That's what happens when you buy things individually, aka ala carte, instead of buying things in a bundle or package. Why is this a foreign concept to people? You can witness this concept when you go to the grocery store.

bitbydeath

I have no doubt Disney will be stingy with the content that comes. I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate content in and out so you buy the DVDs.

Even if they did and they didn't grow from the 400 movies mentioned in the OP, that is still 400 available at any one time which is well worth the cost and hundreds more than what Netflix offers currently at any one time.

Syriel

Disney has way too much stuff to ignore. I hope they stay reasonable with the pricing.

Look at the UK version. Cheap for all that Disney.

Even if they did and they didn't grow from the 400 movies mentioned in the OP, that is still 400 available at any one time which is well worth the cost and hundreds more than what Netflix offers currently at any one time.

What are you talking about? Netflix has way more than 400 movies at any given time.

If all of these companies make their own applications for streaming content, it'll all cost more than a cable bill at the end of the day.

If you would subscribe to all of them yes. But most of these companies cannot constantly output or have enough content to warrant a constant subscription and none of them lock you into a contract. You can subscribe, watch what you want and unsubscribe, thats what I did for HBO when GOT was airing.

Put an extensive catalog of old Disney films, television shows, and specials on there and I would sub in a heartbeat.

But if it is just going to be SW+Marvel+modern stuff with little or only mainstream backcatalog stuff I can do without.

This.

Your entire catalog, Disney. Put it there,

Including "The Songs of the South", I dare you Disney.

WillyFive

Disney is the only one that can make this work; any other studio, it would be a total disaster. Simply putting up their entire catalog in it will cripple Netflix and sweep away the other minor streaming services.

nah not at all. there are other studios with much richer back catalogues of films. and none of them are worth the price of a separate streaming service. plus this is not gonna offer the full breadth of what disney has to offer. its a rip off.

Disagree with non bolded and probably should wait and see what's on it and what's the cost before proclaiming the bolded.

We have an idea of what it might be like with the UK service and someone in here said the amount of content was good.

Pretty much. The writing was on the wall the moment stuff like CBS All Acess started going up. For companies, there's more potential revenue to be made from having a streaming service of their own rather than licensing out their content.

People want to pay $10 for everything which isn't going to happen. People want ala carte to suddenly be cheaper for the same content isn't going to happen either. I've told people for years they had unrealistic expectations and they weren't going to like what they were screaming for.

Yep, that's the heart of it really. I see the same thing with my fellow Anime fans in regards to streaming. While complaints regarding Netflix and Amazon's policies regarding their service is fair there's just as many people upset over the sole fact that Crunchyroll is no longer the sole avenue for anime.

Pretty much. The writing was on the wall the moment stuff like CBS All Acess started going up. For companies, there's more potential revenue to be made from having a streaming service of their own rather than licensing out their content.

Yep, and the key thing that people need to keep in mind is that these services don't need to get everyone to pay for them. So the people balking, they might not even care about you. All they'll care about is if they can get enough people to subscribe to the point where the money being made exceeds the money they get from licensing the content out.

Yep, that's the heart of it really. I see the same thing with my fellow Anime fans in regards to streaming. While complaints regarding Netflix and Amazon's policies regarding their service is fair there's just as many people upset over the sole fact that Crunchyroll is no longer the sole avenue for anime.

The writing was on the wall the minute Netflix started releasing original content. They even said "we have to become more like HBO before they become more like us" which is exactly what's happening industry wide.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Marty knows what's up. I know I've posted extensively about this years ago. This is a la carte. This is the death of cable.

This is the death of subscription streaming services, at least for me. I'm out, soon.

Kareha

All these cord cutters are going to end up paying the same amount but in streaming fees if this companies keep doing this.

HotHamBoy

Disney has way too much stuff to ignore. I hope they stay reasonable with the pricing.

I will almost assuredly sub for that service.

They have 100 years of content and their newer content and licenses are top-tier.

Just too good to pass up.

If it's $15 or less a month, I'm in.

If you have kids, sure.

If you are really into movies and you're not trying to have 4-5 subs then FilmStruck is a better service.

I do miss when Hulu had the Criterion collection. Sigh.

Chinbo37

This is why I put everything on my server.

LOL same here.

I dont pay for any monthy services (not even cable). But if this really had;

- Every Disney movie (animation and live action)
- Every Disney TV show (including all cartoons)
- All Marvel movies and TV shows
- All Star Wars movies and TV shows
- AND REAL ESPN (1 + 2 + any other minor channels they have)

I would consider.

massoluk

Banned
I just buy Blu Ray + Digital Code combo, this does not affect me that much. Unless the exclusive content is THAT good

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm not subbing to this. Just the other day I went and cancelled my subs to a couple of streaming services. I had too many, didn't use them enough to justify it. Sure, I can sub and unsub as I like, but it's not a very user friendly process.

I'd like something like gobbler for streaming services. Just log in, press pause, and your sub is paused till you unpause it. Plus, with gobbler you can manage many different subscriptions at the same time. Managing all these websites and apps just becomes a bother in the end.

sfedai0

Banned
This is Disney we're talking about here. They are guaranteed to be stingy. Hell, theyre splitting up the ESPN stuff so there is no chance they will be putting out their entire catalog, especially the IPs in their "vault".

Im not gonna pretend Im an oracle and predict their demise or success, but I do know if they put only Disney IPs on this platform, it wont overtake Netflix. Theyre gonna have to actually pull a Netflix and start being a content producer for every genre.

Something else to consider, for all you guys comparing this to the UK version, is that in the UK we don't generally get DVD's or digital copies with our Disney Blu Rays. There was a short period where they did include a DVD and iTunes copy, but they stopped that a long time ago, and now we're lucky to get a bonus disc. This increases the value of Disney Life to those of us who are collecting the Blu Rays regardless, as unless a movie or show is available on another streaming service (Netflix have a few, Amazon have a few too) we will have to buy or rent a digital copy if we want/need it digitally too.

Right now I monthly pay for Netflix, Spotify, Xbox live and WoW.

I don't know, it's getting expensive if I would add another streaming service. That's a shame, Disney would be nice. Maybe I'll switch for a few months.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So how will you watch stuff? Serious question.

Probably start dabbling in piracy, lean on my existing collection more, buy UV codes secondhand, exploit MoviePass until they go out of business.

Nah I'm good. I will continue to sub to Netflix to support creation of new content but for everything else I will subscribe one month out of the year (if there is content I want to watch).

Kareha

This is the main reason why I just buy the Blu-ray releases once they come out rather than subbing to any of these services.

sirap

I'll buy a 10 year subscription if they make Tron 3.0 available for streaming.

Edit: oh and 2 more seasons of Tron Uprising. Thanks Iger.

They's like this I'm happy I have spent decades cultivating a collection of 25,000 Blu Rays,DVD's, Laserdiscs and the few VHS holdouts. I'll keep my Netflix, Amazon and Hulu subscriptions and for anything else new tv wise, I know all the main kodi repos.

Top Bottom