• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney CEO Iger: Marvel, Star Wars Movies Will Move to New Streaming Service in 2019

Fox318

Oh boy.

Stargate? MGM Streaming Service.
Star Trek? CBS All Access
Star Wars? This.
Exclusives on Netflix
Exclusives on Amazon Prime
HBO?
Hulu?

Nah thanks. When will it be until entire franchises across the board will have their own subscription. I get they want to make money, they want their own pie instead of the share; but uhh it's really shitty for the consumer.

One will get bigger and then production companies would rather have a paycheck then deal with managing a full time product.

I think a lot of people are forgetting the wide range of content Disney has under their umbrella. Remember, this will also potentially have shows from ABC. Shows like Lost is Disney owned. Here's a listing of shows that are currently on ABC and were once on ABC. Mind you not every single one is owned by Disney as they were just the distributor, but the library at their disposal of what could be on this service is a lot bigger than I think people are giving credit for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_American_Broadcasting_Company

Joeytj

Banned
Netflix
Hulu + HBO
VRV
MoviePass
This?

my services will probably end up being as much as cable used to be

Yes. That's the industry's point.

And honestly, as someone who works in digital news media and content creation, I'm not going to blame them.

The TV and movie studios saw what happened to the news industry in the age of the internet and other types of media, they're not going to let it happen to them.

I get that we millennials are fans of paying less for the same content as before, but I've always thought that are "cheapness" hurts as more than it helps in the long run.

Anyway, yeah, by 2020, we will probably be paying the same for streaming services than cable or maybe even more. Of course, it will be supposedly be content much more in tune with our own taste, unlike cable that just threw everything they had at us.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Won't this just lead to an increase in piracy of their movies? Doesn't a lack of ease of accessibility always lead to increased piracy more than anything? You need to be more convenient or even people who are willing to pay won't.

Tobor

Well it shouldn't be Netflix by itself or all services, but a lot of people in this thread and other threads seem to think well if it's not on Netflix, they're not interested without realizing how things are going to change. For a lot of people, Netflix alone isn't going to be enough at some point when it comes down to Netflix being more like a channel with their original content rather than the one stop place that has everything. That's going to happen and people need to sooner accept that reality.

Now whether you need one, two, or five different services to fill your needs is going to vary, but that's what people wanted with ala carte which is what we're getting here. You pick which channels/content you want and pay for the ones you do want while not paying for the ones you don't care about it.

What's misguided though is thinking you'll get everything under one service for $10 or that ala carte meant you could get all that same content for a fraction of the price. Neither of those two things were going to be a realistic outcome.

Yeah, there are some people with unrealistic expectations for sure.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I actually think this fracturing of streaming services will eventually lead to a lot of smaller or less successful options to close down against far larger companies like Netflix and Disney. I could honestly see it being just a couple big players down the road who have taken over and bought out rivals kind of negating the issue of fragmentation but could lead to other problems.

Won't this just lead to an increase in piracy of their movies? Doesn't a lack of ease of accessibility always lead to increased piracy more than anything? You need to be more convenient or even people who are willing to pay won't.

The potential of access to Disney's entire collection at your finger tips for a monthly fee is like the definition of ease of accessibility

The potential of access to Disney's entire collection at your finger tips for a monthly fee is like the definition of ease of accessibility
There is no way in hell this is their entire collection for $10 a month. Just no chance, they still want physical sales of older titles. Likely it's all content from the last decade or so with a couple "classics" they rotate to prevent "rental subs" on a one month basis.

So, cable.

Cindro

I'll probably subscribe for a month, binge all the stuff I want to catch up on, and never touch the service again.

And I hope this doesn't affect the future of the Netflix-exclusive Marvel shows within the next couple of years!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Netflix
Hulu + HBO
VRV
MoviePass
This?

my services will probably end up being as much as cable used to be

Isn't that a good thing? You get decades of content + new programming on demand. Download for when you're on the go. Cancel anytime.

You get exponentially more content with Netflix, HBO, Disney, etc. You should be ecstatic that all of this is as much as cable.

There is no way in hell this is their entire collection for $10 a month. Just no chance, they still want physical sales of older titles. Likely it's all content from the last decade or so with a couple "classics" they rotate to prevent "rental subs" on a one month basis.

So, cable.

That's apparently not what it is with their UK version and not how it is described in the press release.

And that's still not "cable"

Boem

I do actually think it's fine that bigger movie/entertainment companies get their own streaming services. I'm not particularly interested enough in Disney stuff myself to get it, and yes, I know I'm arguing in favor of the billion dollar companies here, and yes, it is easier if everything you want is on one site/app. But I honestly think this would have happened much sooner.

People are still being given a choice. It's Disney, it doesn't get much bigger than them. Logically speaking, this is the road that makes the most sense to them - easy access to their library, all under one umbrella. It's actually healthy, unless you all really want that monopoly for Netflix.

It's an extra step and extra money for consumers. I get that. But we're still just stepping out of the Wild West era of digital distribution. It still seems better to me than what it used to be - either hope that you'll catch your shows and movies whenever they're on on whatever channels your package give you (with tons of commercials), or spend an insane amount of money on home media if you're a collector. As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, this will still be a much cheaper and easier option. This is, for better or worse, the alternative people who used to argue for piracy as a legitimate option wanted. Here it is.

I honestly believe the general audience will get used to having multiple subscriptions very easily, and no doubt some form of combined subscription services will pop up in due time. But as much as the idea may suck right now, I can't really see any other option short of piracy or time travelling back to the 80s/90s/00s. And I definitely don't think the situation was better back then.

It makes business sense for them, and I don't think they're morally in the wrong at all either. I definitely don't want the mistakes of the music/print industries to be repeated by the film/tv industries.

A Disney streaming service would be the greatest one available. Think about it. Every animated movie from Bambi to Lion King to Frozen and everything in between, plus all of Pixar's stuff. Entire movie franchises like Star Wars, Marvel, Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

Then you get to the Disney TV shows. Kim Possible, That's so Raven, Gravity Falls, Girl meets World, etc.

HOWEVER.......

I have no doubt Disney will be stingy with the content that comes. I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate content in and out so you buy the DVDs.

How is that model back? Netflix is a channel. Disney is a channel. This is exactly what people wanted. If you only wanted to pay exactly for the content you wanted, that's been available for awhile now where you can pay per show on Amazon, Vudu, Google Play or iTunes.

That model is back because there is worthwhile stuff that is exclusive to each platform, and while most of it can be purchased on an individual basis, not everyone wants to consume content that way, or take the risk of purchasing something you may not be into. So instead of paying for a package of channels, you're now paying for a package of platforms.

I have no doubt Disney will be stingy with the content that comes. I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate content in and out so you buy the DVDs.

Available for a limited time before it goes back into the Disney Streaming Vault.

That model is back because there is worthwhile stuff that is exclusive to each platform, and while most of it can be purchased on an individual basis, not everyone wants to consume content that way, or take the risk of purchasing something you may not be into. So instead of paying for a package of channels, you're now paying for a package of platforms.

But you're not. You're paying for a channel now, not a package of channels. There's also very little risk since you can subscribe for a month and cancel at the end if you're not interested. There's no contracts here. If you don't want all that content or a month to month service, you can buy them individually. There are choices now. So I absolutely don't get where you say the model is back when this model is totally different. Instead of having to get Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC, you can now just pick ABC.

I'm ok with this in a best case scenario, where the entire Disney library is basically available, at any time. I'd drop $10-20 a month for that - great value for my family.

But if they introduce any kind of content restrictions, yea, no thanks.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just need software to aggregate this stuff. If they go cable TV with ads, they can go fuck themselves.

bitbydeath

I'm in day 1 for this providing the price and service is reasonable, I only sub Netflix right now but having disney movies available 24/7 without rotation is just too good to pass up.

Magwik

Banned
Netflix ruled because it consolidated everything in one package.
Now everyone has their own damn streaming service which will lead to the same shit again in a few years.

Scirrocco

This is starting to remind me of the MMO boom in the 2000s. Everyone looked at warcraft and thought Me Too! And so many games came out they split the market to where non one could survive. In ten years we'll probably see the same thing in streaming.

Still, its better then cable. At least if there's something you want to see, you can join for a month, binge it, the drop it. I can see a lot of people swapping streaming services every few months.

Dynomutt

That is the only way this works if they put it all on there, from Steamboat Willy to the new Ducktales

Darkwing Duck and Talespin would get my money. With their catalog completely would be worth a reasonable price. Hey if you got it you can make moves.

a916

Disney is the only company where I'd get a second streaming service. Imagine all those Disney cartoons along with everything Marvel/Disney related.

It'll be interesting though since they are also in the business of selling you Blurays that rarely drop in price...

It'll easily trounce Amazon though, but I'm keeping my Netflix subscription for the foreseeable future.

gpn

If Disney includes their vintage movies, shorts and TV shows from like 30s-70s, I'll be a charter subscriber.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I will probably share my Netflix account with a friend, on the condition they give me their password for this service.

Disney is the only company that would be worth the price

If they actually literally include basically their entire Animation output and a good chunk of their live action catalogue

nah not at all. there are other studios with much richer back catalogues of films. and none of them are worth the price of a separate streaming service. plus this is not gonna offer the full breadth of what disney has to offer. its a rip off.

Hard pass for me. I get the appeal of everyone having their own streaming service but there's only so much of the almighty dollar to go around.

nah not at all. there are other studios with much richer back catalogues of films. and none of them are worth the price of a separate streaming service. plus this is not gonna offer the full breadth of what disney has to offer. its a rip off.

Have you looked at Disney Life? If the US version is anything like that, I'd hardly call it a rip off.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

So, cable.

Cable doesn't give me access to all of their content of the last decade.

Idk why people keep comparing to cable, and I'm still a cable subscriber.

knicks

If all of these companies make their own applications for streaming content, it'll all cost more than a cable bill at the end of the day.

Top Bottom