• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney CEO Iger: Marvel, Star Wars Movies Will Move to New Streaming Service in 2019

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
In the 2020 we're going to have a new version of Cable TV that just gathers all the disparate streaming services into a single package.

This is ala carte. You want Netflix content, you pay $10. Netflix is going to be one of many channels. You want Disney/ABC/Marvel/Star Wars/Lucas/Pixar content? You pay for the Disney channel.

I really don't get how people screamed for ala carte and now complain now that it's here.

Before it was people complaining that they didn't want to pay one large sum for content and wanted to pick and choose. Now that they can pick and choose, they still complain. The reality is I don't think people wanted ala carte like they were screaming for. They just didn't want to pay for content. They wanted more or less everything they had but for a small fraction of the price which was unrealistic.

People want to pay $10 for everything which isn't going to happen. People want ala carte to suddenly be cheaper for the same content isn't going to happen either. I've told people for years they had unrealistic expectations and they weren't going to like what they were screaming for.

Basically. If a la carte becomes too splintered the costs are no better than the cable I'm currently paying for.

This was always going to be the case. Why would you think otherwise? You were always going to pay more when you split apart everything and then add it all together again. Companies aren't just going to suddenly take in half the revenue they used to. Anyone thinking otherwise was foolish. People had unrealistic expectations of what ala carte really was or couldn't think far enough of ahead of what it really meant.

Laekon

In the 2020 we're going to have a new version of Cable TV that just gathers all the disparate streaming services into a single package.
For $100 a month (does not include subscription fees).

I'll never subscribe to a specific streaming service like this. It will cost the same or more then Netflix while being really limited.

Hari Seldon

The difference between this and cable is that for now, you can simply sign up for a month out of a year and binge watch the few shows that you want and then unsub. So it is still better in my view.

This is ala carte. You want Netflix content, you pay $10. Netflix is going to be one of many channels. You want Disney/ABC/Marvel/Star Wars/Lucas/Pixar content? You pay for the Disney channel.

I really don't get how people screamed for ala carte and now complain now that it's here.

Before it was people complaining that they didn't want to pay one large sum for content and wanted to pick and choose. Now that they can pick and choose, they still complain. The reality is I don't think people wanted ala carte like they were screaming for. They just didn't want to pay for content. They wanted more or less everything they had but for a small fraction of the price which was unrealistic.

People want to pay $10 for everything which isn't going to happen. People want ala carte to suddenly be cheaper for the same content isn't going to happen either. I've told people for years they had unrealistic expectations and they weren't going to like what they were screaming for.

This was always going to be the case. Why would you think otherwise? You were always going to pay more when you split apart everything and then add it all together again. Companies aren't just going to suddenly take in half the revenue they used to. Anyone thinking otherwise was foolish. People had unrealistic expectations of what ala carte really was or couldn't think far enough of ahead of what it really meant.

Yup yup..

For $100 a month (does not include subscription fees).

I'll never subscribe to a specific streaming service like this. It will cost the same or more then Netflix while being really limited.

You're going to have to at some point. Don't you see that? The amount of content Netflix is going to have is going to dwindle down to a point where you're really mostly just getting Netflix original content out of it. They're going to be one of many channels. If you're okay with only Netflix original content, that's fine, but that's really limiting yourself to one studio/channel. Think about how TV worked and how often you only watched one channel, or what movies you watch and if you only watched movies released from one studio. People tend not to restrict themselves to one source.

kiguel182

I mean, I’ve watched pretty much everything I want from them and will watch the rest as it releases. I don’t see why I would sub to their service.

If I want to rewatch something I can just rent it or pay for a month here and there. Keeping the sub active seems unnecessary.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The difference between this and cable is that for now, you can simply sign up for a month out of a year and binge watch the few shows that you want and then unsub. So it is still better in my view.

You can already get PS Vue and other internet cable services that don't require long term contracts and you pay monthly. Obviously that doesn't include Netflix or Amazon but it does give you access to all the streaming sites for the channels it does have.

UrbanRats

You're going to have to at some point. Don't you see that? The amount of content Netflix is going to have is going to dwindle down to a point where you're really mostly just getting Netflix original content out of it.

*shrug*.
It's already like that for some regions, especially now that they cracked down on VPN use.
I basically keep Netflix for 2 or 3 shows atm, and the occasional Netflix original movie i could do without.

At first I was upset but now that I think about it, I really have not been rewatching the Marvel, Star Wars stuff on Netflix anyways. if I really like I'll just but it outright.

I'll just wait until the Disney has a free month trail and then binge on all the stuff I want to see, like I do with other services.

Corey31

Only subscribing if we get some deep cuts from the Disney vault. I own all the Marvel, Disney Animated and Star Wars films (and will continue to purchase these for best quality possible) on disc anyways.

Give me some of those live action movies that have yet to get a release at least since the VHS days. Give me some of the classic Wonderful World of Disney stuff that hasn't been seen (other than bootlegs) since the 70s.

I will subscribe then. Otherwise I'm good.

Blader

To some, all the online streaming stuff + cost of internet already adds up to what people are spending on cable.

I think what's he arguing is, that with cable you only get what's being broadcast at a given time + whatever limited on demand library your provider might offer. With a streaming platform, you have access to a deep back catalog (ideally, anyway). It's both a replacement for cable and physical releases, like DVD box sets.

FLEABttn

Banned
Marty knows what's up. I know I've posted extensively about this years ago. This is a la carte. This is the death of cable.

Metalmarc

The british version of this already exists it dosn't have everything Marvel & Star Wars yet.

It seems to have most Disney films, ultimate Spiderman , the guardians and avengers cartoon, clone wars 1-6 and rebels 1-2 only and a few disney books, music and tv shows, but like UK netflix the british version is always lacking

Meh.

Tobor

You're going to have to at some point. Don't you see that? The amount of content Netflix is going to have is going to dwindle down to a point where you're really mostly just getting Netflix original content out of it. They're going to be one of many channels. If you're okay with only Netflix original content, that's fine, but that's really limiting yourself to one studio/channel. Think about how TV worked and how often you only watched one channel, or what movies you watch and if you only watched movies released from one studio. People tend not to restrict themselves to one source.

Why is it always Netflix by itself or everything? No one is going to sign up for every service, and there won't be many who sign up for only one service either.

I will probably sign up for 2 or 3, like I do now. Which is still cheaper than cable.

This isn't the end of the world, and it isn't a utopia either. But it will be fine, and better than things used to be.

BumRush

This would instantly become the biggest "must have" for me (although I'll still do Netflix, Amazon and HBO, most likely)

Quonny

It's only a matter of time until these companies push too far and everyone goes back to pirating.

Netflix, Hulu, and the like are cheap enough and are easy enough to use that pirating is more of a hassle than just throwing a couple of bucks a month at these companies. If people have to spend increasing amounts of money and subscribe to an increasing amount of services, they're gonna go back to pirating.

If it contains ALL Disney released content past and present, day and date with the Bluray release, I'll consider it worth it.

We all know that's not gonna happen.

Mindwipe

The british version of this already exists it dosn't have everything Marvel & Star Wars yet.

It seems to have most Disney films, ultimate Spiderman , the guardians and avengers cartoon, clone wars 1-6 and rebels 1-2 only and a few disney books, music and tv shows, but like UK netflix the british version is always lacking

Meh.

Disney Life in the UK is much cheaper than this will be.

I imagine we'll see a upper tier Disney Life in the UK with Marvel and SW content before 2019.

Yup

TS-08

Why is it always Netflix by itself or everything? No one is going to sign up for every service, and there won't be many who sign up for only one service either.

I will probably sign up for 2 or 3, like I do now. Which is still cheaper than cable.

This isn't the end of the world, and it isn't a utopia either. But it will be fine, and better than things used to be.

The point is that content will continue to be pulled from these services and the amount of subscriptions you will need to have to maintain the same level of content will increase. Obviously everyone is different and some may be fine sticking with just a couple of subs even if it means leaving some content behind, but a lot of people may ultimately discover it makes more sense to stick with a more traditional cable-type bundle to get everything they want rather than subscribe to numerous services individually.

Dabanton

Can't really complain a company is leveraging their own content. Especially if it's optional to buy in.

What's more interesting is will they slowly start moving all their Netflix superhero TV shows on here as well?

I can understand wanting a package with many channels back when all television was live, but wanting every streaming service is madness to me. The reasonable thing to do is rotating between various ones, which I'm already doing between Netflix, CraveTV, Adult Swim and Shudder (we don't have that many here in Canada but even those four combined are way too much content for me to realistically get my money's worth on any given month). However, I could see companies catching on to that approach and start forcing three months + memberships to fight back against it.

Well it shouldn't be Netflix by itself or all services, but a lot of people in this thread and other threads seem to think well if it's not on Netflix, they're not interested without realizing how things are going to change. For a lot of people, Netflix alone isn't going to be enough at some point when it comes down to Netflix being more like a channel with their original content rather than the one stop place that has everything. That's going to happen and people need to sooner accept that reality.

Now whether you need one, two, or five different services to fill your needs is going to vary, but that's what people wanted with ala carte which is what we're getting here. You pick which channels/content you want and pay for the ones you do want while not paying for the ones you don't care about it.

What's misguided though is thinking you'll get everything under one service for $10 or that ala carte meant you could get all that same content for a fraction of the price. Neither of those two things were going to be a realistic outcome.

As much as I'd like access to the Marvel movies on demand, I think I'm good.

Remember the promise of cord-cutting? Where everyone would cast off the yoke of the cable companies, and stop paying for channel packages that made you buy a bunch of stuff that you didn't want, just to get the few channels that you did?

Well, that model is back, and I wonder how long it'll take for it to end up more expensive than the cable bill ever was.

I'm thinking at this point the only sane thing to do is sign up for one service, watch what you want, and then cancel and move on to something else.

It's only a matter of time until these companies push too far and everyone goes back to pirating.

Netflix, Hulu, and the like are cheap enough and are easy enough to use that pirating is more of a hassle than just throwing a couple of bucks a month at these companies. If people have to spend increasing amounts of money and subscribe to an increasing amount of services, they're gonna go back to pirating.

Hence why it's a very thin veil over some pretty crazy entitlement when people complain about this while claiming to want an a la carte system. What you really want is to watch whatever you want for little to no money. That or you want the simplicity of a single service to bundle it all together, which shows a misunderstanding of what a la carte even means. Seems in most cases to be both actually.

As much as I'd like access to the Marvel movies on demand, I think I'm good.

Remember the promise of cord-cutting? Where everyone would cast off the yoke of the cable companies, and stop paying for channel packages that made you buy a bunch of stuff that you didn't want, just to get the few channels that you did?

Well, that model is back, and I wonder how long it'll take for it to end up more expensive than the cable bill ever was.

I'm thinking at this point the only sane thing to do is sign up for one service, watch what you want, and then cancel and move on to something else.

How is that model back? Netflix is a channel. Disney is a channel. This is exactly what people wanted. If you only wanted to pay exactly for the content you wanted, that's been available for awhile now where you can pay per show on Amazon, Vudu, Google Play or iTunes.

To some, all the online streaming stuff + cost of internet already adds up to what people are spending on cable.

Ok?

But cost is not the same a service and content.

There was never a guarantee of saving money but of getting more of what you want and when you want it

Flambe

Meh, already own most/all of their stuff I want for me/the kid anyway so no great appeal here.

Unless they drop new movies on the service like a week after being in theatres or something but that'd probably be a dumb financial move so v0v

CSJ

Oh boy.

Stargate? MGM Streaming Service.
Star Trek? CBS All Access
Star Wars? This.
Exclusives on Netflix
Exclusives on Amazon Prime
HBO?
Hulu?

Nah thanks. When will it be until entire franchises across the board will have their own subscription. I get they want to make money, they want their own pie instead of the share; but uhh it's really shitty for the consumer.

Oh boy.

Star Wars? This.
Exclusives on Netflix
HBO?
Hulu?

Nah thanks. When will it be until entire franchises across the board will have their own subscription. I get they want to make money, they want their own pie instead of the share; but uhh it's really shitty for the consumer.

This already exists since you can buy season passes on Amazon, Vudu, Google Play and iTunes.

Z3M0G

Welp... I only skipped the last few Marvel movies and the new Star Wars on Blu-Ray due to Netflix... so if I want to rewatch them in the future (probably only when my kids are older), I'll scoop them up then.

Oh boy.

Star Wars? This.
Exclusives on Netflix
HBO?
Hulu?

Some day we will miss the days of network television.

Isn't DC doing a streaming service as well? How are they suppose to compete with Disney/Star Wars/Marvel service as well as Netflix?

Batman TAS is on Amazon Prime Video as of right now. And really, what other DC content do you even need.

Depends on the price and if they come correct with the animation and film backlog. I'm talking not the obvious stuff like Duck Tales and Gargoyles, but digging in the crates and pulling out things like the old Love Bug films and Black Hole. Not to mention maybe week or 2 delay before things from Disney XD are immediately added.

Meia

Disney is the only company that would be worth the price

If they actually literally include basically their entire Animation output and a good chunk of their live action catalogue

This. Only way I would strongly consider this is if the afternoon cartoons they made were ALL on the service as well. Things like Ducktales or Gargoyles on demand? Yeah, I'd get that. Since I doubt it'll be that comprehensive, can safely ignore, whee. :\

Top Bottom