• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
By the time this and definitely the Blade game is actually ready to release there could be a Xbox mobile store and launcher as well. When mobile tech, or cloud computing, is good enough to run modern AAA games then things will move fast and all this talk will be hilarious to look back at.
Cloud gaming will never be successful. It's hilarous to me that anyone with a functioning brain thinks people will pay $17 a month to stream games. Cloud is fine as a backup gaming option, but as the main....no way.

Fredrik

Cloud gaming will never be successful. It's hilarous to me that anyone with a functioning brain thinks people will pay $17 a month to stream games. Cloud is fine as a backup gaming option, but as the main....no way.
Never is a long time. Just 40 years ago I was loading stuff from cassette tapes, took 10-15 minutes to load some games. Now I see people whine over seconds long loading times. Things evolve. To me it’s hilarious that anyone thinks we’ll keep running games natively on in-home computers and consoles forever. Streaming already works okay enough for certain games and internet infrastructure will dramatically improve.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Never is a long time. Just 40 years ago I was loading stuff from cassette tapes, took 10-15 minutes to load some games. Now I see people whine over seconds long loading times. Things evolve. To me it’s hilarious that anyone thinks we’ll keep running games natively on in-home computers and consoles forever. Streaming already works okay enough for certain games and internet infrastructure will dramatically improve.
What's hilarious about it? Why is it inconceivable? It costs a LOT of money, time and energy to run servers and machines capable of playing those games. The response that we will all inevitably be going to cloud gaming makes no sense to me. Machines capable of running games natively are always going to exist. I am sorry, but cloud gaming is NOT an inevitable future. WIll it have a place? Sure, but being the go-to. No. Sorry. I don't believe it.

You mean the audience that waits for games to come to Gamepass rather than buying them? 🤣🤣 Day one sales on multiplatform retail games are PlayStation dominated. It's not a new trend but that's where the money is. What he means to say is, Microsoft gave them a fat cheque. Fat, fat cheque. PlayStation has Uncharted so. *Shrug*

I mean look, I like indie. I'm not going to cry if it's exclusive. PlayStation has great exclusives too. But the reason given is ridiculous.

We've turned down nearly 40 million gamers because cash.

Last edited:

Elios83

The IP pretty much proved to be dead after the last movie.
Never expected this to happen:
To put that into perspective, 2023's Indiana Jones: The Dial Of Destiny grossed only $174 million, less than half of Uncharted's $407 million.

By making this game Xbox/PC exclusive they're certifying its flop.
Disney just accepted a huge bag of money probably knowing it was more than what they would get anyway through actual sales.

Last edited:

SHA

To be fair all of disneys movies are bombing. The marvels is flipping and they supposedly pulling the plug in the Snow White reboot. The star wars films have been abysmal….. so yes the same Disney is sabotaging its own IP. But we all know why and that’s a whole other topic that has nothing to do with gaming. That recent Indy film was just another casualty of disneys current course of self sabotage for the sake of getting woke points.
Animations are fictional, they don't solve real world problems, the woke part doesn't count, Disney've been doing this since it's early days.

So funny seeing how "concerned" people on this forum are about the financial decisions that Disney takes with their IP when Microsoft is involved.

A Marvel property like Wolverine gets announced as exclusive for PS5? Everyone gets an erection.
High Five Best Friends GIF by Saturday Night Live

Disney/Marvel properties like Indiana Jones and Blade are announced and probably exclusive to Xbox? Everyone becomes an auditor and demands to see all financial records on file.
seinfeld newman GIF

Ozzie666

The use of past tense is brutal

When I read it, I was trying to think what the state of the generation or consoles was at the time of the announcmenet in Jan 2021. The landscape has entirely changed at least between Sony and Microsoft. Both in market share and mind share. Did he just mess up with his past tense?

At any rate, it's going to be difficult to top Fate of Atlantis or maybe even Infernal Machine.

Last edited:
So funny seeing how "concerned" people on this forum are about the financial decisions that Disney takes with their IP when Microsoft is involved.

A Marvel property like Wolverine gets announced as exclusive for PS5? Everyone gets an erection.

Disney/Marvel properties like Indiana Jones and Blade are announced and probably exclusive to Xbox? Everyone becomes an auditor and demands to see all financial records on file.
seinfeld newman GIF
I mean, I remember even back when Spider-Man was announced as a PS4 exclusive a lot of people were saying it wouldn't sell that much because Spidey games were never that good or popular and the fact that it was releasing on just one platform wouldn't help.
Then the game sold like 10 million in 6 months. So I guess Disney was happy enough with the results to let them make Miles Morales, SM 2 and Wolverine exclusive.

And I can imagine a similar situation with Indiana Jones and Blade, if they're happy with the results I'm sure they'll let them use more of their IPs for exclusive games.

PaintTinJr

Not quite sure that's the whole story.

Uncharted sold on pretty much its name alone. Indiana Jones had nearly triple the budget and by that measure even more would have gone into marketing the movie than the Uncharted movie, and that still out performed it, in its first outing.

That's the strength of the Uncharted franchise compared to Indiana Jones, a franchise you wouldn't even call in decline anymore, it's dead.
I would argue the IP is far from dead, but the audience - like me - is done with Ford in action roles and is just waiting for a good reboot with the actor they used for Solo.

The comparison of box office revenue with uncharted is also likely unfavourable as Disney were always putting their film on Disney+, so the need to see at a cinema, or wait for guaranteed viewing on Disney+ will have damaged all the IJ numbers .

IJ's IP starting back in WW1 gives the IP far more interesting stories IMO, as seen in the low budget Young Indy series from the past. UC and Tomb Raider are paper thin IPs by comparison to the layered character development of Indy, and with a good game made with a big budget would outsell those other IPs on PlayStation, today IMO because of the strength and endurance of the IP .

Sony tried to by Lucas films before Disney, and you can be sure if they owned this franchise no one would be saying it was dead in film or gaming.

Last edited:
I would argue the IP is far from dead, but the audience - like me - is done with Ford in action roles and is just waiting for a good reboot with the actor they used for Solo.

The comparison of box office revenue with uncharted is also likely unfavourable as Disney were always putting their film on Disney+, so the need to see at a cinema, or wait for guaranteed viewing on Disney+ will have damaged all the IJ numbers .

IJ's IP starting back in WW1 gives the IP far more interesting stories IMO, as seen in the low budget Young Indy series from the past. UC and Tomb Raider are paper thin IPs by comparison to the layered character development of Indy, and with a good game made with a big budget would outsell those other IPs on PlayStation, today IMO because of the strength and endurance of the IP .

Sony tried to by Lucas films before Disney, and you can be sure if they owned this franchise no one would be saying it was dead in film or gaming.

Yeah, because Solo did so well.

Rebooting a franchise is no guarantee that it will be successful. The odds are actually against a successful reboot.

Because Solo was such a hit?

Uncharted was going to Netflix too. I'm not sure I'm following.

Starting in WW2 pigeonholes it actually. There is a whole audience who doesn't find that subject nearly as interesting. It's why Call of Duty games are no longer being done in WW2. It's why successful recent war films have chosen other subjects 1917 or at least a different angle (dunkirk). You really don't have much international interest in American based WW2 media.

You have nostalgia for Indiana Jones, but he has no more character depth than Uncharted or Tomb Raider. If anything he has less, especially since the reboot of Tomb Raider and since Nathan Drake got married and had a kid, not to mention his backstory with his brother.

Fredrik

What's hilarious about it? Why is it inconceivable? It costs a LOT of money, time and energy to run servers and machines capable of playing those games. The response that we will all inevitably be going to cloud gaming makes no sense to me. Machines capable of running games natively are always going to exist. I am sorry, but cloud gaming is NOT an inevitable future. WIll it have a place? Sure, but being the go-to. No. Sorry. I don't believe it.
If you don’t see it then fine live in your bubble where you’ll forever run games on your Playstation and Nintendo box under your TV.
Just know that steps are taken every year toward a future with launchers (first step) and client devices (second step).
I don’t know what the end game scenario is. Maybe a chip in our brain idk. I know it won’t be a console under the TV at least.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you don’t see it then fine live in your bubble where you’ll forever run games on your Playstation and Nintendo box under your TV.
Just know that steps are taken every year toward a future with launchers (first step) and client devices (second step).
I don’t know what the end game scenario is. Maybe a chip in our brain idk. I know it won’t be a console under the TV at least.
You don’t know but two things: jack and shit. And someone drank all the jack,

There is zero evidence that gamers are remotely interested in cloud gaming as a platform.

seinfeld newman GIF

VitoNotVito

I’ve been here for 18 years. Stay unbanned and we’ll talk about this again in another 18 years and we’ll see who was right. Deal?
I agree with you.
In line with a development of the backend infrastructure for streaming (servers capacity and network bandwidth) there's a development in the content quality (visual fidelity, complexity and scope of the game itself but also type of delivery i.e. VR).
Today's infrastructure is perfectly fine to give you great experience with PS2/PS3 games but we don't play PS3 games anymore (not on a large scale).
Dedicated endpoint hardware will be valid for a very long time.

miklonus

The IP pretty much proved to be dead after the last movie.
Never expected this to happen:

By making this game Xbox/PC exclusive they're certifying its flop.
Disney just accepted a huge bag of money probably knowing it was more than what they would get anyway through actual sales.
Dial Of Destiny made 383 million worldwide, and made more in America (174 million) than Uncharted did. Dial Of Destiny still bombed, but putting out false numbers from a movieweb site that you didn't provide a link to is not helping your cause.

Last edited:

miklonus

Microsoft rejected Spider-Man. Not Xbox fans, not PlayStation fans, and definitely not Sony. Microsoft rejected them. So why are you talking about any fan base, any group of people, as if Microsoft the company is clean or innocent in this? Who cares about hypocrisy, as you mistakenly see it, when Microsoft didn't have the foresight to sign a deal with Marvel in the past decade?

Microsoft constantly making mistakes is the far bigger problem than how some idiot fans react to something.

Last edited:
Both films had very similar box office grosses, but while Uncharted was relatively cheap for Sony to make and turned a nice profit, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny had such a large budget that it actually lost over $100 million for Disney.

This is an ongoing problem at Disney, where every movie they make has had a $200 million+ budget lately. Their budgets have become immensely bloated at the same time that audience interest has collapsed in Disney films. Disney's biggest challenge in trying to right the ship has to be figuring out how to slash the damn budgets, every movie costing $200 million+ to make is such an obvious problem and Bob Iger seems clueless about how to fix it. Yes, wokeness being pushed in your face is a problem, but even that is secondary to just how bloated every Disney budget has become.

In that regard, Disney is probably happy that Microsoft is likely to be paying them a lot to keep Indiana Jones and the Next Woke MacGuffin exclusive to Xbox, because The Dial of Destiny had a problem where nobody under the age of 35 went to see it or cared about Indiana Jones. Disney didn't know this back in 2021 when the Bethesda acquisition happened and the Indiana Jones game contract was renegotiated but they have to be happy with how it is now at the end of 2023 when The Dial of Destiny ended being a box office bomb with a $383 million box office gross. Only Disney could find a way to lose $100 million on a movie that grossed $383 million.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I need to watch the new Indy, but they needed to nail it. I don't see the point in making it unless you know its going to be amazing. Why bother?

Hopefully the game can be amazing.

PaintTinJr

Yeah, because Solo did so well.

Rebooting a franchise is no guarantee that it will be successful. The odds are actually against a successful reboot.

Because Solo was such a hit?

Uncharted was going to Netflix too. I'm not sure I'm following.

Starting in WW2 pigeonholes it actually. There is a whole audience who doesn't find that subject nearly as interesting. It's why Call of Duty games are no longer being done in WW2. It's why successful recent war films have chosen other subjects 1917 or at least a different angle (dunkirk). You really don't have much international interest in American based WW2 media.

You have nostalgia for Indiana Jones, but he has no more character depth than Uncharted or Tomb Raider. If anything he has less, especially since the reboot of Tomb Raider and since Nathan Drake got married and had a kid, not to mention his backstory with his brother.
That's clearly not what the market thought when they valued Lucas' work, and Solo despite being trashed by the same clowns that gave glowing reviews for the mainline Disney trilogy, is actually a brilliant film that gets better on each viewing when the audience has watched all the other surrounding SW material, so taking the highbrow, Solo a bad film angle seems like a false argument to me, when considering its production issues came out closer to Andor than episodes 7-9. And despite a highbrow film school dislike for Solo, I don't recall strong sentiment by the overall public SW viewer that said the actor cast for the title role wasn't good. In much the same way the recasting of Indy in Young Indy has a likeable alternative to sub for a younger Ford.

As for character depth, that just isn't true. Find me the moments in UC or Tomb Raider where a viewer of the film gets any fragments of education about history. The young Indy series pretty much exclusively uses teaching history as a backdrop to the character, with probably the most significant nugget being Indy's discussion on the train post WWI reparations being decided by the Allies and his take on it would trigger a future war.

Just because game writers/designers lack the comprehension of reading about history to use it in their writing/designs in important and poignant ways to match the advance in capability with gaming tech, doesn't say anything about using that period for character depth, just that talent is required, much like Lucas and Spielberg were needed to make those younger Ford as Indy films successful.

/edit:

Also the UC film was by no means guaranteed to hit Netflix, because Sony Pictures understand how not to pre-emptively destroy value for cinema, paid stream and disc sales, similar to their position in gaming.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Learn how to think.
Adding "streaming" to the instal base is a super weak argument.

Why? It’s still an option. On top of PC and Xbox and possibility to play it on Game Pass for a few bucks.

But noooo, you have to pick one option that you think is shit and comment on that. Bravo.

yurinka

Well, if they think it 'makes financial sense', it means paid enough money to Disney to cancel the PS version. Meaning, more money than they estimated to make on PS.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I mean, I remember even back when Spider-Man was announced as a PS4 exclusive a lot of people were saying it wouldn't sell that much because Spidey games were never that good or popular and the fact that it was releasing on just one platform wouldn't help.
Then the game sold like 10 million in 6 months. So I guess Disney was happy enough with the results to let them make Miles Morales, SM 2 and Wolverine exclusive.

And I can imagine a similar situation with Indiana Jones and Blade, if they're happy with the results I'm sure they'll let them use more of their IPs for exclusive games.

Let them?

Like Disney is some high brow purveyor of quality, that won’t allow anyone to work on their ip unless they deliver top notch results lol.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

They already had the formula to success. See what Uncharted did and improve upon it. I hope Microsoft give this a fair shot, inject some serious money and talent to the project. The Indiana Jones IP has suffered enough in the hands of Disney.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

seinfeld newman GIF
It's funny how you say this like it's some sort of double standard or hypocrisy. It's simply reality. People are for more likely to be less upset about Sony getting an exclusive. There are reasons for that.

We get excited (or at least not upset) when PS gets an exclusive, since we know the game will sell and will (likely) be good. It's called a track record. Sony has one.

When Xbox gets an exclusive it's far more likely to get a game that will underperform, be mediocre. That's the Xbox track record.

You can get upset for people feeling that way, but there are legit reasons people feel that way. Blame it on Xbox for sucking donkey balls for so long.

Adam_802

Breaking story: Having 25 million customers on Xbox and 300+ million potential PC customers is big enough market and you can survive not releasing your game on PlayStation platform with 50 million consoles sold...

Truly shocking.

Yup, some people have a really hard time coping with this apparently lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox / PS console wars bs aside, Is anyone really that enthused about this given its an Indiana Jones game?

Folks weren't really enthused for a new Wolfenstein before Machine Games kinda knocked it out of the park with that one.

Give them a chance.

seinfeld newman GIF
Partly.... because nobody trusts Microsoft/Xbox to make a good game. Whereas, Sony has the trust to make a good for the most part.

Top Bottom