• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people honestly enjoy playing Crysis?

SimTourist

Aside from the graphics which has always been the main talking point, I hardly ever see people discuss the actual gameplay. The game is simply a terrible shooter, is it not? The gunplay is the most impotent of any game I've ever played, the guns feel like nothing, no feedback, no satisfying sound, no reaction from the enemies aside from a shitty ragdoll engaging after death. The enemy AI is absolute cheating shit, they see you from across the level, nothing you can do about it. The suit abilities are useless because you run out of energy every two seconds and then have to wait an hour before it recharges, you don't feel powerful, even on the easiest difficulty you feel like an idiot that would be better off staying at home with your suit plugged into the wall to charge. It's just a terrible game overall with awful mission and level design, I've tried to complete it at least half a dozen times across different systems and rereleases and I always end up thinking it's a piece of shit shooter.

winjer

Gold Member
Gene Wilder Nonsense GIF by MOODMAN

mrMUR_96

It's a fun sandbox with great physics to mess around with. Being able to grab enemies and objects to throw around is good too. It's nothing ground breaking, but it's far from bad and is good fun to play around with. The later part with the aliens and linear paths is crap though.

Guilty_AI

It can be fun with the destructibility and enviroment interactions, that said some late game portions can be quite tedious or annoying.

Senua

The first one is genuinely great fun to play because of the sandbox, the physics and lush environment it just feels great to play in. The guns feels pathetic though and the AI is lolworthy at times.

Crysis 2 is mediocre as fuck and 3 I started but got bored, maybe it's good but i couldn't be arsed with it

Last edited:

Kikorin

Yes, I made a new PC back in the days to play it and it was mind-blowing. Interaction, physics and destruction really putted it on another level compared to anything else, also I had lot of fun playing with the suit powers and throw people away.

Crazy that we gone backwards with interaction and physics compared to a 2007 game (or even before if we think at Half-Life 2 or FEAR), luckily someone still care about these, like Zelda team.

The only thing I really remember is the loose ragdoll physics, I encountered a patrol unit going up the hill and then one of them tripped and made everyone fall down. It was fricking hilarious.

But honestly, I agree with the suit, it seemed so pointless.

Especially 2 and 3, due to the more confined areas, also allowing better awareness were enemies are, once you play it not like some regular ass shooter, and instead try to be a sneaky Predator, as much stealth as possible, it is imho superfun. I can not play it otherwise on the hardest difficulty. Run and gun, grenades and the occasional choke hold might be more feasible on easy though? But I am quite sure, with the right skill level switching all the avaialble suit modes back and forth even that might be possible.
Imho a pity that not more games play like it. I hate open world in pretty much everything, always prefer true linearity, but the illusion of openness is fine, allowing me to approach the camp from any side and or loud or sneaky.

SimTourist

Especially 2 and 3, due to the more confined areas, also allowing better awareness were enemies are, once you play it not like some regular ass shooter, and instead try to be a sneaky Predator, as much stealth as possible, it is imho superfun. I can not play it otherwise on the hardest difficulty. Run and gun, grenades and the occasional choke hold might be more feasible on easy though? But I am quite sure, with the right skill level switching all the avaialble suit modes back and forth even that might be possible.
Imho a pity that not more games play like it. I hate open world in pretty much everything, always prefer true linearity, but the illusion of openness is fine, allowing me to approach the camp from any side and or loud or sneaky.
I don't know how you manage to play it sneakily when the invisibility runs out every two seconds and once you're visible all the enemies immediately know where you are even if you go prone in the bushes.

HL3.exe

Crysis (2007) was ahead of it's time, especially from a world interactivity and systemic interplay standpoint. In someways it tragically still is.

It's core structure inspired a lot of design tropes we still see today, like 'marking enemies' or 'Ubisoft outpost design'

Just the last quarter of the game (alien part) just sucked ass. It loses all the fun systemic interplay and dynamic problem solving.

Edit: I personally dislike 2 and 3. Especially the structure and corny as hell writing. Oof.

Last edited:

Loke

It's pretty good until the shitty aliens are added into the gameplay then I just loose all interest. Funnily I had the same reaction when playing Far Cry back in 2004 with the "Trigens".

Basically human enemies >>> aliens/mutants.

Braag

I enjoyed them, it was fun to fuck around in the sand box, the gunplay was decent too.
I liked the first game the most. 2 & 3 were a little meh.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's probably important to put Crysis in the context of the FPS games of its day, which were hyperlinear, heavily scripted shooting galleries. Crysis embodied the sort of wide-linear approach, with a toolset of stealth, power, and agility and levels that gave you the freedom to approach any way you saw fit. That made a really big impact back then, compared to the Call of Duty and Gears of War shooters of the day.

Unfortunately Crysis 2 and 3 kind of scaled that approach back a lot, possibly due to console limitations, and I don't think they hold up as well because of it.

We kind of take that wide linear or open world design for granted now and there are plenty of games that do it better, but I can still get down with the original Crysis and maybe Warhead as well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No. First crysis was a good toy. The first level was the best from the whole game.
2nd crysis was good though

Skifi28

Depends. If you know what you're doing, you can string some absolutely crazy kills together going through your abilities and feel like predator. If not, most people just use stealth and hide in a corner until they run out of energy.

xrnzaaas

Besides the graphics the nanosuit was always the main draw for me. It's just fuckin' cool with how it can operate in few different modes and talk to you.

The first game also worked well as a sandbox allowing to approach problems differently, but obviously this isn't anything special by today's standards. Never liked the alien levels and they've aged poorly in Crysis 1.

Last edited:
I remember the talk at the time being that crysis was doing things nobody else was doing, though the graphics were a big part of that, but the gameplay was too. Maybe the shooting feedback is a little weak, but the mode shifting abilities felt pretty novel at the time. Ambushing dudes in the forest with super speed is fun. I didn’t get that far into the game though, the story was boring me to death.

Game is awesome. A.I. is great, especially on the harder difficulties. You have to use your Nanosuit effectively in order to overcome the odds. If you aren't doing that, you're not really playing it right. The sequels really flubbed it up, even if they were cool in their own ways.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It was the second game from the developers of Far Cry 1, which was a ground breaking semi open world Fps. I didn't play Crysis but if it is nearly as good as Far Cry 1, then you are wrong. Super moves puts me off but I will play it some day.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I finally played through the game myself a couple years ago, and I'm gonna say....no. It wasn't a very fun game to me.

Bry0

It was the second game from the developers of Far Cry 1, which was a ground breaking semi open world Fps. I didn't play Crysis but if it is nearly as good as Far Cry 1, then you are wrong. Super moves puts me off but I will play it some day.
IMO it’s what they wanted far cry 1 to be. The way they introduce the “twist” enemy totally blows the mutants away too. You’ll probably enjoy it.

I genuinely have fun with the first couple levels when it's just you sneaking through the jungle with your suit powers taking out NKs. Then it goes to tanks and aliens and falls apart completely.

MayauMiao

Didn't even finish the first and never bothered with the sequels.

To me its just a glorified tech demo, and of course the "Can it run Crysis?" memes.

Neolombax

Only got to play Crysis 2 and 3 when it was released for consoles back in the day. Enjoyed it a lot, Crysis 2 more than 3. Didn't mind fighting aliens. Only got to test out parts of Crysis 1 on a friend's gaming laptop and it seemed fun at the time,. The game gave a lot of room for creativity to approach most objectives.

bender

What time is it?
I enjoyed it a lot more than Far Cry but that isn't saying much. Crytek sure did make some lookers though.

Futaleufu

The thing is, most people are playing this game just like any other FPS. Yes, you can do that. You can also play it like a true sandbox. For example: pick a landmine, turn invisible, activate speed, jump on top of moving vehicle, drop the mine in front of it, run away

Crayon

Either I'm remembering wrong, or the enemies in the remaster can plug you from far greater distances than the original. Like ridiculous distances.

Other than that, about half the game was incredibly fun and I'd still play that today. The other half is kinda meh.

Top Bottom