• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people honestly enjoy playing Crysis?

SimTourist

Yes, i am not talking about a bot account on steam or something, he is one of my best friends, i helped him with his pc a bunch of times in person.

I even asked him why he only plays Farming Simulator 20xx and Crysis, he said: "I like farming and Crysis is the best game"
Sounds like a man that knows exactly what he wants. I can respect that.

SimTourist

The thing is, most people are playing this game just like any other FPS. Yes, you can do that. You can also play it like a true sandbox. For example: pick a landmine, turn invisible, activate speed, jump on top of moving vehicle, drop the mine in front of it, run away
Then you remember that your suit ran out of energy after you turned invisible and the rest of your scenario doesn't play out. The game would be 100 times better if there was a mode with infinite suit energy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Then you remember that your suit ran out of energy after you turned invisible and the rest of your scenario doesn't play out. The game would be 100 times better if there was a mode with infinite suit energy.
I hate the whole 'git gud' meme, but maybe git gud.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Git gud, it's a great shooter. If you don't feel like the predator when playing Crysis you're doing something wrong. Absolutely terrorising villages full of enemies felt great at the time.

That said, I haven't touched it in forever, but as soon as I got a card that could run it at a stable 30 (yeah) I was all over it.

Zuzu

I loved it back when it released. I loved the open-ended sandbox levels and the physics. But the gameplay has aged poorly and isn’t that fun to play anymore.

King Dazzar

Aside from the shite end boss fight in Crysis 3, I loved the trilogy. 2 is probably my fav. But I've completed 1 and 2 numerous times. Still hold up well today imo. To each their own.

I don't know how you manage to play it sneakily when the invisibility runs out every two seconds and once you're visible all the enemies immediately know where you are even if you go prone in the bushes.
Find a bigger bush? I won't swear that the AI fights fully fair, but I think it was supposed to be that it knows where noises came from, so just hiding near to that, won't make you disappear. They see you if your little toe is shown and try to flank you, often with some problems in path finding iirc.
I agree that the powers are quite weirdly balanced more or less feeling like an always empty battery way too often, "supersoldier" but still as vulnerable like the regular koreans which iirc can handle two headshots with the assault rifle. But I think that's part of it, figuring out a way to put those short timeframes to good use once you are spotted.
Also, I think it works better in 2 and 3. 1 was more open with less cover, more a continuation of FC1 and the suit was imho not really well integrated with the whole world design yet, but 2 and 3 felt like it was fully designed with the suit in mind.

The thing is, most people are playing this game just like any other FPS.
Some games I never understood how to play: RE1, DmC1, Civ, Fallout 1+2 but Crysis seems like the game way too many other people don't get. Similar or maybe even more is only Brutal Legend where pretty much everyone would have been happier if the whole game was like the demo and only a few got that the RTS like part is pretty much the same action game just riding in with support.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Crysis 1 and 2 are both great games. Crysis 3, I havent played but I bought the remastered trilogy for some reason, so I will at some point (maybe).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've always found Crysis 1 to be decent, but not much more than that. People always talk about the expansive maps, but they're kinda... pointless. You're still going from Point A to Point B, and there's a couple clear paths to get there - a lot of the rest of it is just filler, and there's really nothing to it in terms of sandbox gameplay. Which is fine - it just feels a bit disingenuous when people extoll the open-world aspect of it. The bigger issue, though, is that you move super slowly, your suit powers last for about 3 seconds before running out of juice, and shooting people doesn't feel all that satisfying. I thought that Warhead was a much, much better take on the formula, which smoothed out a lot of those complaints for me. Even Crysis 2 was a much better game in that it was at least more direct.

tygertrip

It was the second game from the developers of Far Cry 1, which was a ground breaking semi open world Fps. I didn't play Crysis but if it is nearly as good as Far Cry 1, then you are wrong. Super moves puts me off but I will play it some day.
Imagine Far Cry 1, but you are the Predator. That is Crysis 1. Idiots like OP try to play it like COD MW, and then say it sucks. Jack the difficulty up to hardest (“Delta”), consider your suit to be the main weapon, and go nuts… played like that, it is among the greatest FPS ever. Mouth breathers like OP need their simple shooting galleries, and that’s OK, but that is not what Crysis is about.

tygertrip

Only got to play Crysis 2 and 3 when it was released for consoles back in the day. Enjoyed it a lot, Crysis 2 more than 3. Didn't mind fighting aliens. Only got to test out parts of Crysis 1 on a friend's gaming laptop and it seemed fun at the time,. The game gave a lot of room for creativity to approach most objectives.
Crysis 1 is FAR superior to its sequels.

Holammer

I had fun with it back in the days, had to bring it down to 640Ă—480 to get a playable framerate. Grabbing one of the soldiers and tossing him with suit strength was hilarious and then realizing the houses were made out of physics objects when he crashed into them and roofing bits flew everywhere. I destroyed tons of houses with explosives, vehicles & tossed North Koreans just because it was fun.
Apart from the flight scene at the end, it had a couple of nice set pieces like the inside of the alien ship.

Muffdraul

If someone suddenly came up to me and asked "DO YOU THINK CRYSIS 1 SUCKED?" I'd probably say no. But now that I think about it... I bought Crysis when it released, I still have it. But I never played it. I bought knowing I would have to upgrade my PC to run it, and that never happened. Not only did I not upgrade my PC, I eventually just let it die a slow death and never bothered to get a new one. So, my first experience playing Crysis 1 was the eventual 360 port. That sucked of course, but I assumed it was because it was a weak sauce console port. Never occurred to me that the game itself just sucked, even on a robust PC.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Fz-Aqax-Vak-AAVysk.png

crysis1 was a glorified tech demo (which is cool at launch), but now that the graphics arent anything special, there's little reason to play it.

crysis2 and 3 actually refined the gameplay quite a bit... though it also contracted stiff bout of console-itis, became more narrow-linear, and the suit became less interesting. main issue though is those games lost the "tech demo" aspect (graphics were good but not groundbreaking).

all in all, hats off to crysis1. not for the gameplay, but for being an event/memory.
my 8800gt wasnt ready.

Pelao

It has to be one of the first-person shooters I've replayed the most, second only to the original Doom.
I'll be the first to admit that the game gets considerably worse once the aliens show up for the final part, but everything involving messing with the North Koreans in the jungle as if you were the Predator and infiltrating their bases without being seen or mixing brute force and camouflage while wreaking havoc is a top tier gaming experience that I haven't found replicated in any other game, not even in its sequels.

darrylgorn

Crysis 2 is probably my favourite but I'm only halfway through Crysis 3.

The original has a ton of jank and even the base merchanics are too archaic for me to be able to get into.

ungalo

Crytek are definitely good at making FPS, not just on the technical side. They're probably not the best but when you see Hunt: Showdown, you can tell the people behind are very talented.

SkylineRKR

When they came out I was all over Crysis 1 and 2 but later on I began to see them as very mediocre shooters. I didn't enjoy the recent remasters one bit.

I feel weak despite having a suit, they drain fast and recharge is slow. And Crysis 1 falls apart once you beat the army leader guy. Crysis 2 was much more streamlined and not for the better though its more consistent throughout, combat doesn't go down the shitter like 1 does. Crysis 3 I found to be very mediocre overall.

It has to be one of the first-person shooters I've replayed the most, second only to the original Doom.
I'll be the first to admit that the game gets considerably worse once the aliens show up for the final part, but everything involving messing with the North Koreans in the jungle as if you were the Predator and infiltrating their bases without being seen or mixing brute force and camouflage while wreaking havoc is a top tier gaming experience that I haven't found replicated in any other game, not even in its sequels.
It really is an awesome game when you play it on the harder difficulty and the enemy is hunting you and you just lost their sight and vanish and pause, trying to plan out your next move with the battery you have left in your suit. It's so satisfying to do and it looks great. Still a great game all these years later. Warhead was equally as awesome and they both combine to be just an awesome summer blockbuster experience.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Some games I never understood how to play: RE1, DmC1, Civ, Fallout 1+2 but Crysis seems like the game way too many other people don't get. Similar or maybe even more is only Brutal Legend where pretty much everyone would have been happier if the whole game was like the demo and only a few got that the RTS like part is pretty much the same action game just riding in with support.
I think Double Fine has some responsibility on this: the first half was a 3rd person action game and suddenly the game turns into a hero driven RTS that requires quick prep and fast thinking like KKnD or Z where the flow of the game is heavily stacked for you if you had a good start or against you if you didnt know what you were doing, like most people did.

FeastYoEyes

I enjoyed them back in the day. When I bought the remastered trilogy, I found that i don't think the narrative elements have aged well and being forced to watch the cutscenes made it really hard to get into.

gatti-man

Idk how someone doesn’t enjoy the first half of crysis. The open world gun play is still pretty unique and back then was a total game changer. Loved it.

What, the first crysis had an amazing gameplay. Freedom of approach, different weapons, stealthy or loud fights, and silly shenanigans with the physics and the suit modes. The sequels streamline this more, but you still have the stealth or loud approach

MarkMe2525

Aside from the graphics which has always been the main talking point, I hardly ever see people discuss the actual gameplay. The game is simply a terrible shooter, is it not? The gunplay is the most impotent of any game I've ever played, the guns feel like nothing, no feedback, no satisfying sound, no reaction from the enemies aside from a shitty ragdoll engaging after death. The enemy AI is absolute cheating shit, they see you from across the level, nothing you can do about it. The suit abilities are useless because you run out of energy every two seconds and then have to wait an hour before it recharges, you don't feel powerful, even on the easiest difficulty you feel like an idiot that would be better off staying at home with your suit plugged into the wall to charge. It's just a terrible game overall with awful mission and level design, I've tried to complete it at least half a dozen times across different systems and rereleases and I always end up thinking it's a piece of shit shooter.
Idk man, its not the best game I have played, but it sounds like you are complaining that you must be strategic with your OP powers. If you could just run around at top speed, while invisible, knocking people into the stratosphere, you would quickly bore after the initial power fantasy wore off.

Last edited:

SimTourist

Idk man, its not the best game I have played, but it sounds like you are complaining that you must be strategic with your OP powers. If you could just run around at top speed, while invisible, knocking people into the stratosphere, you would quickly bore after the initial power fantasy wore off.
You're supposed to be a supersoldier, but you're weaker than an average call of duty dude.

Top Bottom